Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Maybe BM has had a quote from a defense attorney and realizes that he doesn't even come close to affording that fee.

It looks like there's not much left from the Indiana home sale. Selling the Puma Path home may be his only option.

He will surely hire a good attorney and think that money can buy his innocence.
Moo

Didn’t the IN property sell for $1.1M? And I remembering that right?

After the realtor fee, and maybe a few expenses that’s at least $1M leftover, although he’ll probably owe capital gains tax on that sale.

Then if he sells Puma Path for say $1.5M, he’ll walk away with at least $1.4M and not much of any capital gains tax.

So roughly around $2.4M in cash from those sales.

He bought a the longhorn Ranch Land for $160 then maybe put another $500-600k into construction.

So that’s about $1.6M leftover.

A defense attorney fee is likely but I can’t help put think that BM owes someone a substantial debt and he’s liquidating assets to pay it off and save his hide.

Somewhere on the thread it was mentioned that BM paid $169000 for the Longhorn plat that was only valued at around 80K, so he has a very very long time to wait - at least while it’s unimproved. Jmo

When that info came out, I looked up compatible lots in Longhorn ranch and they were all listed in the $160 range, so I think BM paid the going rate for that land and there is nothing fishy with that sale.

Question: when did BM clean out the house and move all their personal belongings? Did this go unnoticed? When did he purchase the condo? I know 2-3 weeks back we discussed him moving to the condo, did he dispose of SM personal items? Are they in storage? Were they living bare bones in their 1.5 million dollar home? Inquiring minds and all......

Maybe:
1. She wanted the big house and he never did.
2. He laundered money through the house and is done laundering.
3. The house was mainly empty, little in the way of furnishings so it was no big problem moving. (not uncommon, by the way)
4. He left furniture to stage the house.
5. He needs a love nest.
6. He needs money.
7. Tax planning.
Any more thoughts?
Someone who has all the properties listed, timetables of purchase, acquisition costs, estimates of holding costs, would be in a good position to comment on the sale of the house and purchase of the condo. I’d bet there was a mortgage on the house, he’ll take the equity after sale and payoff the condo. It’s not like he’s a spring chicken, mind you. Planning for retirement might be good. Although I bet he won’t need to pay the mortgage, utilities or buy food where he’s going. Good no expense low expense retirement plan, Barry. I guess there are a lot of husbands who have the same plan. I wonder if they all have the same financial planner?

Last edited:
That's strange. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a listing show so many pictures of the house's surroundings, and leave off many areas in the house. Was there even a picture of the actual kitchen? MOO
No pix of the kitchen. I saw that, too. I wonder if BM DID take the pictures (they don't seem to be professionally done) and psychologically he can't make himself take pix of the kitchen . . . for some odd reason . . .

Didn’t the IN property sell for $1.1M? And I remembering that right?

After the realtor fee, and maybe a few expenses that’s at least $1M leftover, although he’ll probably owe capital gains tax on that sale.

Then if he sells Puma Path for say $1.5M, he’ll walk away with at least $1.4M and not much of any capital gains tax.

So roughly around $2.4M in cash from those sales.

He bought a the longhorn Ranch Land for $160 then maybe put another $500-600k into construction.

So that’s about $1.6M leftover.

A defense attorney fee is likely but I can’t help put think that BM owes someone a substantial debt and he’s liquidating assets to pay it off and save his hide.

When that info came out, I looked up compatible lots in Longhorn ranch and they were all listed in the $160 range, so I think BM paid the going rate for that land and there is nothing fishy with that sale.

Given the timing on all of this, it does lead one to speculate that there may be motive buried underneath all of these transactions. It's a lot of buying and selling, all happening in the four short months that your wife is missing.

BM did buy the Longhorn property and a new truck, so that doesn't give the appearance of 'strapped for cash' (at least not once the Indiana sale went through). Could this be BM simply circling the wagons - building a house that he can live in with his mom?

I'm not quite sure what to make of all of it - I can't discount the thought that all of it could point back to motive - but also not quite ready to make the leap and say it's definitely that, either..... MOO, JMO

Kind of O/T but I just have to ask:
who puts framed pics around the edge of the bath tub?
Is this a thing people do?

That caught my eye yesterday, too. I was wondering if she was killed in one of the many areas of the house that were missing pictures in the listing (kitchen, garage, etc.), but looking back at that picture of the bathtub, it almost looks like some sort of memorial. MOO

LOL, I had the same thought. Who wants their family staring at them while they're in the tub?

ETA: That was BM staging the house.
And that’s the last thing you do: put up family photos. You’re told to take all things personal out to stage a house. Maybe it was Barry trying to show how he so loved his family. Like we are going to believe that malarkey.

It took me awhile to find this post, but when I had first looked at the photos, the elk head caught my eye. Fast forward to the more recent photos, the elk head has been relocated to above the fireplace/tv wall. So..did the elk head come with the purchase of the house when the Ms bought it? In my world hunters don't usually leave their trophies behind when they move. It would be an undertaking to relocate it. I don't think it has any real significance to the case but is just more of an observation.

The pictures certainly don't match the sale description? Only two bathrooms are pictured, where's the other two? There should be another bathroom upstairs?
https://www.trulia.com/p/co/salida/19057-puma-path-salida-co-81201--2074214752?mid=4#lil-mediaTab

It is possible one or even two of the sites has older pictures than the other and hasn't updated yet since this is a brand new listing. When a home is fresh on the market, some internet sites may recognize it as an active listing but still pull old pictures (especially if the home was sold in the recent years and those older pictures still exist). I sold a home a couple of years ago and one of the web pages had old and new pictures mixed into the internet listing. Somehow the site got a hold of some older pictures when I had purchased it prior. That's my hunch in regards to the house in question.

For example, I've attached a comparison image here. The top portion is from your Trulia link and the bottom is from my Zillow link. It's obviously the same bathroom but decorated differently. One of the sites has old photos (likely from when the home was sold in 2018).

Attachments

• home.jpg
    home.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 90
That's strange. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a listing show so many pictures of the house's surroundings, and leave off many areas in the house. Was there even a picture of the actual kitchen? MOO
I think this is a sign of BM further unraveling. He calls the realtor and says, “Sell it now!” The realtor says we need photos. BM does not want anyone inside the house taking photos. He sends her the (poor) cellphone picks.
MOO

Or the other two bathrooms?
And the garage and utility room. But when selling real estate, you gotta have a pic of the kitchen so the person who cooks can see what it's like. I think it's dumb to leave off pix of the other 2 baths, the garage, and the utility room, but the kitchen? Supposedly the heart of the home? I may be crazy, but that hit me.

I'm another one who finds it very strange that there are no kitchen pictures, among others that are missing, like all the bathrooms and the master suite. Even if BM was the one taking the pictures, wouldn't the listing agent tell him to go back and take those pictures? Esp the kitchen? Looking at the pictures, you can kind of figure out there is a kitchen, but where is it? Kind of important selling point in every house I've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daisy82504