Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They've owned the house for 2 years, maybe 2.5 now. Outside the alleged crime itself, which is suspected of occurring inside the house, but which was not apparent outside a bleach smell, what could have sustained much damage? It could be the little things and Barry just doesn't want to have to deal with any of it. An electrical outlet that needs fixing, security system not updated or working (but of course), not necessarily a wall bashed in as some might be thinking.
He most likely is never going back in that house, to many haunting moments linger there IMO

Does a seller or realtor have to tell a prospective buyer that a possible crime took place in that house? Or even what caused the damage for the seller to be selling “as is”?

No they don't and I know this first hand! I looked at this really great farmhouse with beautiful gardens, a barn, a separate office space when I was moving a few years ago. There was some work to be done but it was a really beautiful house. The listing agent made a few weird comments like the seller is really motivated because she's going through a divorce, that anything left in the house would go to the new buyers because the seller doesn't want to come back to the house again. We got a weird feeling but were seriously considering it.

I googled the address to see the distance to different amenities and...the man who owned the house was in prison for molesting and raping his daughter!! In that house! The oldest son was also charged with molesting his sister. All in that house!

I couldn't believe the listing agent never mentioned anything to us about it. When I spoke to our buying agent (who worked in a different area of the state so she didn't come with us to that showing) said disclosure isn't required but she would always tell prospective buyers (in a gentle way) to avoid what happened to us from happening.

We obviously didn't buy the house. I couldn't imagine living in a place where I knew something happened to a child. We tried to talk ourselves into giving the house a new life and a new family but it was just too weird for me.

We used to be able to do polls here, but I don't see the option anymore? @Ontario Mom?

Go to the parent directory "Missing Person Discussion" and "post new thread". Title it appropriately (i.e. Poll Thread - Suzanne Morphew case".

When completing the opening post of the new thread, there is the option to create it as a poll thread.

What gets me is BM is a contractor who should know people who can help him repair on the cheap. It's not like his home is a $250k home with $100k worth of damage.

Maybe, it is just the way that I think; however, I would be inclined to make repairs to my almost $2M dollar home to get a decent offer. He should have the money to do so.

Plus, he can restrict access to his home to those who have been pre-qualified with their realtors to screen out the looky-loos.

key word: "should." so where's all your money, BM?

IMO, BM is in a rage right now and the sloppy listing reflects this. This residence is not a $75k rental that the tenant trashed and the owner wants to dump before winter and never look back. Nope, this is a primary residence, one of not too many millon++ homes in Salida where the prudent seller would have listed the property with a reputable agent and they would have gone to work to stage the property for photos and showing. He's not even living in the residence!

I think BM was seething from Andy's successful search and the Dr Phil episode on Friday was the icing on the cake. BM is reportedly telling others that authorities left the interior in bad shape, and his "as-is" terms of sale is not a reflection of cash flow as it's BM screaming look at me, look at the real VICTIM. Stop looking, listening to Andy.

MOO
bbm
So, whose fault is that ?
BM can just go and look in the mirror !

Was flooring removed ?
Wainscoting ?
Door frame and/or trim ?
How much did authorities need to remove to check for evidence in what was labeled from the beginning as a criminal investigation ?
Imo.

Last edited:
bbm
Well, whose fault is that ?
BM can just go and look in the mirror !

Was flooring removed ?
Wainscoting ?
Door frame and/or trim ?
How much did authorities need to remove to check for evidence in what was labeled from the beginning as a criminal investigation ?
Imo.
I was watching something like that on ID recently.

Guy murdered his wife, but at the time was claiming he didn’t. Days after her murder, he gave LE a walkthrough. At the time, the house had already been processed.

He was more upset with missing carpet, doorknobs, door, pieces of flooring, and a few other things, than he was about the death of his wife.

Moral of the story, if you don’t want law enforcement to trash your house, don’t kill your wife.

He most likely is never going back in that house, to many haunting moments linger there IMO

I would think, if someone is capable of murder, there would not be a problem being at the murder site.:(
BM has plans, and nothing is stopping him.
Money required. BM as a mission.
What will be his next step?
This could explain previous past actions, INCLUDING SM's disappearance.
MOO.

New listing mentions crawl space but nothing about security features - is the crawl space new maybe?
I also noticed that the square footage on the new listing (3,256) is 55 sf less than that of the listing when the Morphew's bought the home (3,311). That's only about 7 ft by 8 ft, so maybe that is the crawl space and the sellers in the earlier listing included it in square footage.

I also noticed that the square footage on the new listing (3,256) is 55 sf less than that of the listing when the Morphew's bought the home (3,311). That's only about 7 ft by 8 ft, so maybe that is the crawl space and the sellers in the earlier listing included it in square footage.

I was wondering about the slight difference in sq. ft - thanks :)

I've been thinking about this option, but am not sold on the idea that someone with his skills and connections would go for a top-end home, the ROI of any improvement on which would be marginal.

The second lot has a lot to be desired in terms of size and location; it's by an airfield and surrounded by industrial agriculture and other commercial properties. It also seems much more likely to have (or develop) HOA/covenant rules about parking and commercial activities. They didn't give the impression that retirement was in the near future, so I'd assume that they would need their equipment for a while longer.

If you can't run your business from your home--as in have heavy machinery take up a cul-de-sac, then you'll likely need to have a secondary commercial location which, unless he had business partners in the area, would require renting or purchasing another space.

I get the impression that forensic accounting and electronic minutiae will solve this case. If they didn't have great cell service and no longer had a landline, they certainly had wifi/VOIP or the business would be kaput. I'm sure the staties and the feds are going over every single electronic handshake in that neighborhood (and in the area of the inspected slab site).

ITA , it will take electronic forensics, etc to solve the case. The further away from the Morphews, the harder, not impossible.

You raised other points, I agree with.
Longhorn Ranch is incredibly drab, compared to Puma Path, and near the airport? No trees, flat and blah. Airport not a big operation, perhaps SM and BM were interested in flying, who knows?

Quite a challenge, from landscaper’s POV.
Perhaps tho, that is what SM and BM wanted, they seemed to be a goal oriented couple with plans.
BM is young from a SS retirement angle. He may never have used that as a retirement plan.
He appeared to enjoy his job, until all this happened, so he and SM May have had a different retirement age in mind.

All the comments about the Puma Path house, finally forced me to think further; that house would be perfect for a BnB, etc, perfect lodge type rental.
It’s possible the whole family was involved in this plan.
BM may have options on all the lots, in LongHorn neighborhood, or partnership with owner/developer. In other words, this could be his and SMs 10 yr plan, income and his enjoyment in the landscaping process.
Their house could be a sort of model home, until they had the first homes built. Storage of his landscaping equipment.

I have no doubt BM would be moving in large trees, and turning the drab into a oasis in that desert area.

The Morphews have been savvy investors, thruout their marriage, if they paid that much for that lot, they knew it was going to be worth it.
Their plan was already in the works, this wasn’t some plan BM had without SM knowing. MOO
We have no evidence that SM was the breadwinner of the family until an inheritance from her mother... yet they seem to have had a comfortable financial situation, investing in rentals.
His income enabled her to be a stay at home mom.

IMO, BM is just treading water, he is following the plan he and SM had for their future, until he can move forward on his own.

He knows SM is dead and he knows who did it. It is taking every bit of his beliefs and Christianity not to strike out, and he is constantly reminding himself , that’s why he is preaching to reporters.

He isn’t worried about his public image, he could care less. He knows the guilty parties will get justice, he’d prefer it on this earth, but justice will come.

I am approaching this case from a personal angle, there are many similarities between the Morphews, and my own.
Financially savvy and also frugal, my hubby worked hard, and we saved, saved, saved.
We took on a financial challenge 20 yrs ago.
We stuck together and had our church community support. We were house poor for 15 of those years, but we overcame.

If one of us had been abducted, the other would be under the microscope, who knows.

We live on a secluded acreage, now gated. The only fearful time was when my psychopath sister was battling for control of my mother, it was actually pathetic, but ultimately for me it was my mother’s wellbeing, my sister was just greedy, and she had always been jealous. She was a loose cannon.
Our inheritance, between 5 children was about the cost of 4 months in assisted living, so I always felt there was a more sinister motive, jealousy. It was a nasty period of my life, memories come back, but mostly I’m past it now.

Speculation on other possibilities, my opinions and experiences

Speculation :
Maybe the areas that are not recently photographed are damaged areas -- and not just from investigators and LE ?
Makes me think something happened in more than one room of that house.
There's no recent photo of the stove, fridge, mud room, washer/dryer, etc.
Even if BM took those items (appliances) when he moved into the condo, wouldn't he have pictures to show the room for the next buyer to know where the hookups are for the appliances ?

Poor Suzanne. :(

ITA , it will take electronic forensics, etc to solve the case. The further away from the Morphews, the harder, not impossible.

You raised other points, I agree with.
Longhorn Ranch is incredibly drab, compared to Puma Path, and near the airport? No trees, flat and blah. Airport not a big operation, perhaps SM and BM were interested in flying, who knows?

Quite a challenge, from landscaper’s POV.
Perhaps tho, that is what SM and BM wanted, they seemed to be a goal oriented couple with plans.
BM is young from a SS retirement angle. He may never have used that as a retirement plan.
He appeared to enjoy his job, until all this happened, so he and SM May have had a different retirement age in mind.

All the comments about the Puma Path house, finally forced me to think further; that house would be perfect for a BnB, etc, perfect lodge type rental.
It’s possible the whole family was involved in this plan.
BM may have options on all the lots, in LongHorn neighborhood, or partnership with owner/developer. In other words, this could be his and SMs 10 yr plan, income and his enjoyment in the landscaping process.
Their house could be a sort of model home, until they had the first homes built. Storage of his landscaping equipment.

I have no doubt BM would be moving in large trees, and turning the drab into a oasis in that desert area.

The Morphews have been savvy investors, thruout their marriage, if they paid that much for that lot, they knew it was going to be worth it.
Their plan was already in the works, this wasn’t some plan BM had without SM knowing. MOO
We have no evidence that SM was the breadwinner of the family until an inheritance from her mother... yet they seem to have had a comfortable financial situation, investing in rentals.
His income enabled her to be a stay at home mom.

IMO, BM is just treading water, he is following the plan he and SM had for their future, until he can move forward on his own.

He knows SM is dead and he knows who did it. It is taking every bit of his beliefs and Christianity not to strike out, and he is constantly reminding himself , that’s why he is preaching to reporters.

He isn’t worried about his public image, he could care less. He knows the guilty parties will get justice, he’d prefer it on this earth, but justice will come.

I am approaching this case from a personal angle, there are many similarities between the Morphews, and my own.
Financially savvy and also frugal, my hubby worked hard, and we saved, saved, saved.
We took on a financial challenge 20 yrs ago.
We stuck together and had our church community support. We were house poor for 15 of those years, but we overcame.

If one of us had been abducted, the other would be under the microscope, who knows.

We live on a secluded acreage, now gated. The only fearful time was when my psychopath sister was battling for control of my mother, it was actually pathetic, but ultimately for me it was my mother’s wellbeing, my sister was just greedy, and she had always been jealous. She was a loose cannon.
Our inheritance, between 5 children was about the cost of 4 months in assisted living, so I always felt there was a more sinister motive, jealousy. It was a nasty period of my life, memories come back, but mostly I’m past it now.

Speculation on other possibilities, my opinions and experiences
IMO having two or three Range Rovers and what appear to be many tropical beach vacations, I don’t see them as extremely frugal or saving saving saving.
I’m 10 years younger than Suzanne, my husband and I have good, professional jobs, little student debt, we live in CO and we are extremely middle class. The type of money/credit they had/have is indicative of some sort of family money or successful business. But IMO not a ton of frugality in a F350 and multiple Range Rovers, so sorry, but I disagree here .

Gonna sound dopey now :rolleyes::oops: original listing said foundation was concrete, new listing says foundation - crawl space - if the foundation was concrete would/could there still be a crawl space?

The same thing happened with our home. Our inspector (for our refinance) said that the previous inspector (erroneously) counted the square footage from the stairs into the calculation. Apparently, stairs aren't supposed to be included.

Speculation :
Maybe the areas that are not recently photographed are damaged areas -- and not just from investigators and LE ?
Makes me think something happened in more than one room of that house.
There's no recent photo of the stove, fridge, mud room, washer/dryer, etc.
Even if BM took those items (appliances) when he moved into the condo, wouldn't he have pictures to show the room for the next buyer to know where the hookups are for the appliances ?

Poor Suzanne. :(
The exclusion of particularly the entire kitchen (to many buyers, the most important room in the house since it is so costly to remodel) is very odd. It reminds me of BM hiring MG and JP to work far AWAY from the East Salida job site they had been working at.

It's like BM doesn't show what he doesn't want those who had some familiarity with the location to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico