Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the first, I believe, that we heard he was away at a firefighting training course.

Suzanne’s husband Barry Morphew, 52, has said he was away on a training course for his job as a volunteer firefighter in Denver, Colorado, when she vanished.

Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

He told Andy that same story...
56:01 and he also said he had a fireman's
56:03 meeting that day
56:04 but that was mother's day and i can't
56:06 find any evidence that there was ever a

I took this statement as BM cynically playing the religious card -- SM, as a devout Christian, wouldn't mind dying if someone was 'saved' -- converted to Christianity, IOW. BM, hardly a model for Jesus, introduced that whole trope in order to sound like he himself was devout. It didn't work.

Well, if that was the case, it was realllll early to be calling her "dead." Know what I mean? :eek: He knew she was. But I do agree with you about the meaning.

JMO.

I took this statement as BM cynically playing the religious card -- SM, as a devout Christian, wouldn't mind dying if someone was 'saved' -- converted to Christianity, IOW. BM, hardly a model for Jesus, introduced that whole trope in order to sound like he himself was devout. It didn't work.
Really...Easy to say when YOU are not the one being sacrificed to save that one soul...

Bruce Lee was Chinese I believe. Wasn't BM into a gaming thing with the Chinese? Importer or seller?
I am confused by this statement . @news buff Are you suggesting Barry was in business with the Asian game rooms that pop up and then close and then reopen in a different location? Not sure if Colorado has those but my State is full of them. Seedy businesses from what I understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Vent Hood?
@CzarinaR Yes, certainly could get smoky, IF stove is not a downdraft* or self ventilated model, w hot air vented to exterior or pulled thru filtration system in cabinets & recirculated.
I suspect it is downdraft stove, like Jenn-Air brand or similar, introduced the then-$$$pricey$$$ home appliances to US consumer market in 1960's. jm2cts.
"Downdraft ranges have built-in vents between the burners, and suck smoke and steam through an exhaust pipe or filtration system. That means they don't need an external vent hood—a trait that makes them popular in open kitchens, and kitchens with cathedral ceilings. Jan 14, 2019
A downdraft system pulls air downward or to the back to the cooktop through built-in vents. Unlike hoods, downdraft designs are often integrated into the cooking appliance. ... These systems are also not recommended for gas stoves due to a release of carbon monoxide.Feb 10, 2014 - Google

It struck me as evidence of a soul writhing in existential
torment, making a desperate stretch to justify an unforgivably evil act.

I'd think he was feeling better now. The soul can be cauterized by a determined effort to justify, rather than admit, the crime.

But that's just me. Speculation, moo.

It struck me as evidence that he was very poor at imitating a religious man who was desperate over the disappearance of the wife.

I recall the training being mentioned very early on. My memory says that was the original intent for being gone that weekend or Saturday but the event was cancelled due to covid. References regarding the training might be found in the first couple threads.

I think it's more solid immediately. jmo. It took awhile to realize the timeline didn't add up. The claim LE destroyed evidence could have been BM's take, because he's a fireman so he has more knowledge than most, don'tcha know?
Maybe the obviousness of a staged scene is it!
But they went for BM immediately. There's something there. I wonder if he was all scratched up?

If he was scratched up, then his avoidance of his work crew on Sunday makes a lot of sense. It would also help explain the "too soon" comment. LE would have known, IMO. That sure would explain the rapidity with which they closed in on BM.

Maybe he stopped somewhere to get a styptic pencil and maybe he thought bleach on his own body would destroy remaining DNA evidence in the scratch marks.

Total conjecture on my part, obviously.

This sounds more plausible. I'm sure code 33 has some personal meaning to Barry and Chris is needling him with it.

It could be related to firefighting or maybe even Suzanne. Whatever the case, I'm sure we should stay tuned for the answer.

There's a documentary by that same name (Code 33) wherein 2 dedicated detectives bring down a bad guy in real life. It got lots of attention when it was released in 2005, is apparently a really good documentary.

A downdraft system pulls air downward or to the back to the cooktop through built-in vents. Unlike hoods, downdraft designs are often integrated into the cooking appliance. ... These systems are also not recommended for gas stoves due to a release of carbon monoxide.Feb 10, 2014 - Google
@FromGermany
After buying, learn that your a $1,500,000+ home has a carbon monoxide death trap???:eek: Let's hope not.
That's enough cooking for me today. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reading further (I think from same website you quoted but maybe not, https://www.athertonappliance.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-kitchen-ventilation), I see: "Ductless, or recirculating range hoods, filter some pollutants, but not all. Many are unknowingly released back into the room. If installing a ductless system, be sure that it is ducted outside. However, many professionals do not believe ductless systems are true ventilators. These systems are also not recommended for gas stoves due to a release of carbon monoxide."
From above:
"If installing a ductless system, be sure that it is ducted outside." o_O What, huh? :confused: How's that again?

Last edited:

I suspect it's possible that whole firefighter training/business came about because he (BM) might have originally said something along the lines of "in Denver on business" without specifying what kind of business, and it was wrongly assumed he meant firefighter business.

In fact some of the very first articles did say, literally that "the husband", the volunteer firefighter was "out of town on business" giving the impression it was firefighter business.

In the very beginning the only person who'd know anything about anything, and also spoke to the media was TN. I suspect either BM wasn't clear to TN what kind of business he'd been tending to in Broomfield, or TN just wrongly assumed it was firefighter business, and that's what he told the media.

I think it's also possible he told AM the same thing, and he also assumed firefighter business and just repeated that same story. Or maybe he'd already heard that story at that point, and just went with it as being true.

Since there were at least 3 other people (MG, JP & CC) that knew all along exactly where BM was that weekend, it seems a bit of a stretch to believe he'd tell anyone it was firefighter business in Denver (when it was alibi-building via a retaining wall repair in Broomfield).

So either AM misunderstood, or repeated false info, or BM, knowing full well there were witnesses to exactly where he was and what he was doing, told AM a bold faced lie.

jmo

Last edited:
I would really love to know what it was that made them so sure so quickly. There has to be some evidence that they knew from the start that this was a criminal investigation.
Some possibilities:
1]. Smell of bleach when they did the walk-through
2]. No evidence of SM around the found bike
3]. Condition of the bike
4]. Neighbor said she heard/saw BM go out on his atv the night before
5]. Neighbor said she heard BM going out in his truck late the night before
6]. Neighbor said she hadn’t seen SM in a few days
7]. Neighbor said she saw SM leave with BM the day before, but BM came back alone
8]. BM arrived home from Broomfield with an empty trailer
9]. BM was uncooperative/angry at the search site
10]. There is neighborhood video

All of the above
A combination of the above
None of the above

Between roughly 6 pm and 9 pm on Mother's Day, LE had cause to lock down the house. And enough cause to hold it in lockdown until a full search warrant could be obtained and executed.

What DID the neighbor or LE see/smell? Sting your eyes bleach? Open windows? Bothersome staging or attempted repairs?

If LE noticed something suspicious, they'd back out and lock 'er down. Imagine if THAT happened BEFORE the bike was discovered!

The bike might distract temporarily but IMO only if it was found first!

JMO
BM was a volunteer firefighter in a community of fewer than 6,000 people and when the most important person in his life vanished on Mother's Day, he used a distant neighbor to report her missing to the police.

Why wouldn't the entire police department not be suspicious?

I believe BM was probably on a first-name basis with the entire CCSO. One perk of being a volunteer and you don't use it, really?

I'm very curious when BM made contact with Sheriff Speeze for the first time...:eek:

ETA: I believe BM has a very good friend that is also a neighbor yet it was an elderly neighbor that was chosen to do the welfare check on SM and report her missing. According to the script that I think BM is following, it could not have happened any other way. I'm just glad that LE was on to BM from hour one. MOO

Last edited:
Some possibilities:
7]. Neighbor said she saw SM leave with BM the day before, but BM came back alone

All of the above
None of the above
Not to mention all of the nonsensical theories wreck on bike, large cat attack, abduction then abduction by someone close to her. The last one has my vote because I think Barry took her against her will. So there is that and those are only the things we know about god only knows what else LE has heard that we do not know about yet.

Last edited:
I tend to agree, but the neighbor has never been named.
I speculated early on that he was there because BM called him and asked him to head over there.
But then I have to wonder, if he could have called him to head over there after the fact, why didn't he call him in the first place to check on SM at the house, instead of calling the neighbor lady?

BBM: I also posted early the very same question, why didn't he call his buddy to go over and check on SM. This really stands out to me and is very suspicious.
SO much of what we know in this case, doesn't make sense.

jmo

So either AM misunderstood, or repeated false info, or BM, knowing full well there were witnesses to exactly where he was and what he was doing, told AM a bold faced lie.

jmo
RSBM, I'm thinking bold face lie.
Andy was there in town the day after Suzanne went missing to help search. He wouldn’t have been influenced by articles, doubt he read any, he was right there in the thick of things with Barry and searching. We know from other interviews Andy quizzed Barry for details about what went down, surely he asked him where he was, that would be a basic. I think originally Andy took what Barry said at face value, it has sounded that way the whole time, up until we he learned from LE that Barry had not taken a test…..he mentally started to review everything he heard…Hence “ but that was Mother's Day and I can't find any evidence that there was ever a meeting that day” Something made him suspicious…perhaps LE told him there was not a meeting, but at that, it still sounds like Andy needed to convince himself. IMO

Some possibilities:

All of the above
None of the above

I can't understand why this husband is not still arrested for murder.

But what more can we expect after too many incomprehensible happening in USA?
This isn’t something you rush. Knowing someone did something, and proving that someone did something, are two very different things.

If you don’t think you can yet prove a person’s guilt in court, then you wait.

No-body cases tend to take a long time, as those cases are harder to prove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi8773