Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #49

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine having access to a circle of firefighter colleagues to call on when a loved one is missing. Three calls he could've made. Sure, one to a neighbor. Then one to 911. Here's how that goes -- I'm away from home but I'm worried about my wife, please connect me to Salida PD... and a third call to one firefighter. And here's how that can go, Brother, I need your help. We can't locate Suzanne. I'm on my way home now -- can you start calling guys and start looking?

Phone tree. The normal response, especially for a TRAINED FIRST RESPONDER. Alert as many people as possible, to find her as quickly as possible.

Unless, of course, it's too soon for that.

JMO

Imagine having access to a circle of firefighter colleagues to call on when a loved one is missing. Three calls he could've made. Sure, one to a neighbor. Then one to 911. Here's how that goes -- I'm away from home but I'm worried about my wife, please connect me to Salida PD... and a third call to one firefighter. And here's how that can go, Brother, I need your help. We can't locate Suzanne. I'm on my way home now -- can you start calling guys and start looking?

Phone tree. The normal response, especially for a TRAINED FIRST RESPONDER. Alert as many people as possible, to find her as quickly as possible.

JMO
I wonder if BM texted one of his buddies with a “Code 33” emergency when he realized what he’d done. Hmm. Just guessing with some of the clues the PE guys dropped. MOO.

Yes we are back round that circle to the 911 call again. We don’t know exactly what transpired, but the first call to 911 came from the neighbor. Maybe Barry made his own after, but nobody’s talking about that. Barry’s distancing that day was the beginning of many distancing behaviors-no public appeal beyond a 26 second FB post, no attending any press conference with LE or family, no joining the search. And then let’s discuss the moving of money, property sales and purchases, guardianship proceedings, his persecution complex, assorted methheads, badmouthing everyone surrounding the case-and I do mean everyone.

Imagine having access to a circle of firefighter colleagues to call on when a loved one is missing. Brother, I need your help. We can't locate Suzanne. I'm on my way home now -- can you start calling guys and start looking?
JMO
Great, I love this post, he is 3 hours away, how many people would have those connections that Barry had ? They lived in a rural area, what better connections than other first responders could one have under the circumstances? Not like they had neighborhood watch, he had the best...

ETA...but a neighbor had to call 911.

Last edited:
To me, it's also damning that he didn't take natural steps. If it's worth (having the neighbor) call 911, he would've followed up with other calls. He had the three hours .... even if only to show faux concern, make his story more credible. That he didn't, to me, says everything.

Distancing...

... which in the end will be his downfall.

JMO

RSBM

This discussion comes up every thread....and every time my response is, the 3 hours away is an excuse.

Here's the deal in 2020, better than 80% of all 911 calls do come from cell phones and have for several years now. It’s nothing new to 911 or to TRAINED FIRST RESPONDERS. The first words out of your mouth should be an address, followed by the purpose of the call. Seems most 911 calls route to main dispatch centers and are disbursed from there, I would guess because of the high rate of cell calls. So, when the neighbor called it was her address that popped up, not Morphews, what time was saved?

I’ve posted before going full circle here, someone writes words to the effect “If he was in Denver, he could not call 911 and talk to the 911 for his home. He would have gotten Denver's 911 center.”

Barry is a trained first responder, he knows the drill and how to make the call. He didn't want to. He had his buddies (other first responders on speed dial) I suspect. Why didn't he call one of them to call 911...because he certainly did eventually as we know. It was all about distancing...

We are talking a trained first responder, whose own beloved is missing, not heard from all day, and he’s 3 hours away.

Talk about time and critical information…. We have a missing person, as a 911 responder, would you prefer to talk to a spouse/family member who knew her height, weight, age, habits,... the house, the door combo lock, camera and alarms possibilities/locations, possible other access points(garage) if they existed, the color of the bike, when she was last heard from, her usual morning habits, her recent medical issues, meds she may be on, if there are pets in the house, thinking guard dogs, possibly know what she may be wearing. Any strangers spotted around the house recently?

Or an older neighbor, who really didn't live that close, we are speaking a rural community of large lots (not your typical neighborhood housing environment) a neighbor of two years who could at most only share the family is all out of town but “thinks" she may have gone on a bike ride.

I would think a lot more than that was asked....but nothing that could be answered.
Thx for reposting 911 information.

BM, being a fire fighter , should know the direct number to the police station in Salida. He could have called himself. He chose not to.
Bbm
Agreed.

And... sorry if this was discussed previously-- but doesn't he have a police scanner for updates or firefighting alerts ?
Something whereby he could notify more than one person at a time to be on the lookout for Suzanne and her bike ?
Something like--- "...Suzanne was riding by highway 14 at such and such a time, on this color and type of bike. Please be alert for signs of her or the bicycle ? "
(Not that I think there was ever any 'bike ride'.)

Last edited:
Yes we are back round that circle to the 911 call again. We don’t know exactly what transpired, but the first call to 911 came from the neighbor. Maybe Barry made his own after, but nobody’s talking about that. Barry’s distancing that day was the beginning of many distancing behaviors-no public appeal beyond a 26 second FB post, no attending any press conference with LE or family, no joining the search. And then let’s discuss the moving of money, property sales and purchases, guardianship proceedings, his persecution complex, assorted methheads, badmouthing everyone surrounding the case-and I do mean everyone.
Not to mention when TD asked him who the last person was that talked to or saw SM and it took him a full 8 seconds to answer and then he DIDN’T answer the question! He was totally evasive!! Oh, and when LS asked him what the last words were that he spoke to SM, he COULDN’T/WOULDN’T answer. Honestly, who does he think he’s foolin’??? Nothing about his behaviour is normal for an innocent spouse. And, if it’s obvious to an untrained person like me, can you imagine what LE are thinking?

Even before TD and LS spoke with him, LE were onto him, right from the gitgo for whatever reason. Can’t wait to find out why!

RSBM

This discussion comes up every thread....and every time my response is, the 3 hours away is an excuse.

Here's the deal in 2020, better than 80% of all 911 calls do come from cell phones and have for several years now. It’s nothing new to 911 or to TRAINED FIRST RESPONDERS. The first words out of your mouth should be an address, followed by the purpose of the call. Seems most 911 calls route to main dispatch centers and are disbursed from there, I would guess because of the high rate of cell calls. So, when the neighbor called it was her address that popped up, not Morphews, what time was saved?

I’ve posted before going full circle here, someone writes words to the effect “If he was in Denver, he could not call 911 and talk to the 911 for his home. He would have gotten Denver's 911 center.”

Barry is a trained first responder, he knows the drill and how to make the call. He didn't want to. He had his buddies (other first responders on speed dial) I suspect. Why didn't he call one of them to call 911...because he certainly did eventually as we know. It was all about distancing...

We are talking a trained first responder, whose own beloved is missing, not heard from all day, and he’s 3 hours away.

Talk about time and critical information…. We have a missing person, as a 911 responder, would you prefer to talk to a spouse/family member who knew her height, weight, age, habits,... the house, the door combo lock, camera and alarms possibilities/locations, possible other access points(garage) if they existed, the color of the bike, when she was last heard from, her usual morning habits, her recent medical issues, meds she may be on, if there are pets in the house, thinking guard dogs, possibly know what she may be wearing. Any strangers spotted around the house recently?

Or an older neighbor, who really didn't live that close, we are speaking a rural community of large lots (not your typical neighborhood housing environment) a neighbor of two years who could at most only share the family is all out of town but “thinks" she may have gone on a bike ride.

I would think a lot more than that was asked....but nothing that could be answered.
Great post !

My .02 is that the only person outside of the elderly lady BM called was the call to possibly his friend and neighbor GD --to tell him to go where the bike was, and to 'find it'.
Reprehensible actions if so.
Imo.

Great post !

My .02 is that the only person outside of the elderly lady BM called was the call to possibly his friend and neighbor GD --to tell him to go where the bike was, and to 'find it'.
Reprehensible actions if so.
Imo.

Absolutely, that is what was going on. He wanted the crime 'solved' before he had to face LE.

This was his fantasy: he pulls into Puma Path. He is greeted by a compassionate officer, who puts an arm around his shoulder. Officer says, "I'm so sorry, Mr. Morphew, but your wife has been abducted from her bike ride. We found her bike in a ditch beside the road. It's clearly an abduction by a stranger. I'm so very sorry. We'll do everything we can to find her, but you need to prepare yourself, as cases like this usually do not end well."

BM will cry crocodile tears and stagger to emphasize his love for his missing wife. Officer overheard commenting to another, "Poor man! He's broken hearted! What an awful tragedy!"

Speculation, moo of course.

Absolutely, that is what was going on. He wanted the crime 'solved' before he had to face LE.

This was his fantasy: he pulls into Puma Path. He is greeted by a compassionate officer, who puts an arm around his shoulder. Officer says, "I'm so sorry, Mr. Morphew, but your wife has been abducted from her bike ride. We found her bike in a ditch beside the road. It's clearly an abduction by a stranger. I'm so very sorry. We'll do everything we can to find her, but you need to prepare yourself, as cases like this usually do not end well."

BM will cry crocodile tears and stagger to emphasize his love for his missing wife. Officer overheard commenting to another, "Poor man! He's broken hearted! What an awful tragedy!"

Speculation, moo of course.

LEO (to BM's male friend): "So, how did you hear about this? Why are you here?"

Friend: "BM called me! I came right over!" (Also hoping to be a hero).

LEO: (sigh) "Let me ask you some questions..."

Wherein LE immediately finds out that BM was directing his friend to the bike scene.

Pure speculation on my part, of course. But a good chance it happened.

MOO is it was a friend of BM and BM possibly had no idea because he was busy hiding his own Secret affairs. I think they need to check landfills that body would have been dumped in the Lakewood area MOO. I feel that someone was passing thru in a minivan and should track that person down think I read early on suspicious minivan with Arizona plates was seen MOO

Oddly enough, from the information that I am aware, they didn’t report her missing- the neighbor lady made that call. I am not aware of any calls from anyone from her family to report her missing.

The neighbor lady making the call who was supposedly present at the M’s home on the Sunday still makes me wonder what she saw that caused her to feel that call was necessary. Whereas it “appears” her three family members had not become concerned enough to make the call themselves...?

To me there’s just something pretty valuable in this call by neighbor instead of family. When I’m stuck I always go back to the beginning, in this case it’s the beginning where one can get stuck. Nothing made much sense logically from the start if at all, still does not. MOO.
Shall I say "involved" in decision making the call. I've been following since the beginning and feel like that's splitting hairs. I understand the timeline. The choice to involve others was their own. They are now involved. moo

Re: Broomfield/Denver - it's possible he wasn't intentionally lying about where he was. I grew up and lived many years of my adult life in a small town. Almost no one, that isn't Navy or from the area, knows where my hometown is, so whenever folks ask I just say "the greater Seattle area" (and my hometown is actually an hour away from Seattle). It was one of the first things I thought of when I realized Broomfield (that I'd never heard of before) is not Denver, but close enough. I wondered if he just said Denver because most people know where Denver is, but someone not from the area wouldn't know Broomfield? Just a guess, and totally speculation.

As for what he did all day that he didn't even need to be there for, and didn't even do a full day's work, and legally wasn't even supposed to be working and then conveniently had to leave before the crew got there?

Anyone's guess until or unless he's arrested and the phone pings/phone data are included in the PC statement. His phone records will tell exactly where he was all day long.

jmo

But if your spouse had gone missing and you were hoping that locals would help you find him/her, wouldn't you use local language? I would, for example, mention my subdivision name if speaking to most of my fellow townspeople and if they looked blank, then the local name for our zipcode. I'd be specific.

Most of the time, people seeking help start with the specific and move to the general, because they know that others who are knowledgeable about the locale (and therefore know the specific place names) are more likely to be helpful.

Denver is vast. Broomfield is specific and tiny (and apparently was actually where he was going...) It's entirely possible he's just not very adept at the language of place names, but he has never, once, in this whole event managed to tell us specifically what he knows.

For whatever reason, neither he nor LE think that we, the public, need to know much about what happened. I wonder why.

I think it's too difficult for them emotionally to see the truth. They have already lost their beautiful mother, the pain of losing their Dad would be too much for them to deal with. Also, if they were against him as you said, we would likely hear of the dissension. jmo

I'm going to go with @Trocroc9 here. It's entirely possible the daughters have gone their own way and talked to LE and given them everything they know. That's possible from day 1.

We are not allowed to sleuth (and I wouldn't even discuss the daughters further).

Where, exactly, do you think we would have heard of this discussion? Because LE has been absolutely mum about every aspect of this case, and I tend to think they too, like WS, are protecting the daughters. There are lots of bits of known evidence from MSM that are vague clues to that, but it's too late at night for to mention (but...check out what the stepfather of the younger daughter has said to MSM...)

But if your spouse had gone missing and you were hoping that locals would help you find him/her, wouldn't you use local language? I would, for example, mention my subdivision name if speaking to most of my fellow townspeople and if they looked blank, then the local name for our zipcode. I'd be specific.

Most of the time, people seeking help start with the specific and move to the general, because they know that others who are knowledgeable about the locale (and therefore know the specific place names) are more likely to be helpful.

Denver is vast. Broomfield is specific and tiny (and apparently was actually where he was going...) It's entirely possible he's just not very adept at the language of place names, but he has never, once, in this whole event managed to tell us specifically what he knows.

For whatever reason, neither he nor LE think that we, the public, need to know much about what happened. I wonder why.

I'm going to go with @Trocroc9 here. It's entirely possible the daughters have gone their own way and talked to LE and given them everything they know. That's possible from day 1.

We are not allowed to sleuth (and I wouldn't even discuss the daughters further).

Where, exactly, do you think we would have heard of this discussion? Because LE has been absolutely mum about every aspect of this case, and I tend to think they too, like WS, are protecting the daughters. There are lots of bits of known evidence from MSM that are vague clues to that, but it's too late at night for to mention (but...check out what the stepfather of the younger daughter has said to MSM...)
SM? Stepfather of her daughter? I'm confused. Sorry.

I'm unclear on a few things you've said here. I've followed this case from day 1 but it seems like you're mentioning things I've never seen before (and maybe I've missed posts - entirely possible).

In what way did local LE drop any "illusion" (not sure why you've worded it this way?) of searching for SM on Monarch Pass?
How is it that you seem to know they did or didn't search for her there?
Has LE made a statement in regards to this?
How is it that you seem to know due this decision on where to search, this burned bridges with the immediately family?
What allegations, exactly, were made, and by whom, and directed towards whom?

You've made a lot of claims here without any links to verify anything so, can you please make it a little more clear exactly what you're referring to? Much appreciated.

@Dave F. Eagerly awaiting your answers to these questions. You have answered another post since this one, so I am afraid you missed these questions to you. Since you are local you seem to have a lot of “inside info” so hearing your replies to these questions will be most appreciated.

I am having trouble understanding why the neighbor was concerned enough to call 911 just because Suzanne's bike was missing as she would not know when Suzanne had left. If Suzanne customarily rode her bike, why wouldn't they wait to see if she returned? Also, why would police respond so quickly if an adult has gone on a bike ride and no one knows when she left. The idea that the girls were going to spend Mother's Day with Suzanne is also suspicious as they left on Wednesday for Idaho which is several hours away. To be back with their mom on Sunday they would have to leave around 4 or 5 in the morning. It does seem that there must have been something alarming the 70 year old neighbor noticed to make her want to alert authorities after discovering the bike was gone.

I am having trouble understanding why the neighbor was concerned enough to call 911 just because Suzanne's bike was missing as she would not know when Suzanne had left. If Suzanne customarily rode her bike, why wouldn't they wait to see if she returned? Also, why would police respond so quickly if an adult has gone on a bike ride and no one knows when she left. The idea that the girls were going to spend Mother's Day with Suzanne is also suspicious as they left on Wednesday for Idaho which is several hours away. To be back with their mom on Sunday they would have to leave around 4 or 5 in the morning. It does seem that there must have been something alarming the 70 year old neighbor noticed to make her want to alert authorities after discovering the bike was gone.
bbm
Afaik, she acted on behalf of BM. By the way she may have observed something special (in the home, during BM's call or what else).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LVTRUCRIME