Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #53

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
DBM - I found the answer!

Last edited:
Yes, the obit for GM did suggest donations might be made on his behalf, to either a local domestic violence organization, food pantry or community center.

Among his survivors, SM is described as "missing and presumed dead, daughter, Suzanne Morphew". :(
Obituary of Gene Moorman | Day & Carter Mortuary

Obviously, if BM is indeed guilty of disappearing this lovely and much loved woman, she was the victim of DV. No argument there. That said, we don't know for a fact if this was an ongoing thing, or if he just lost it and did something awful. If, of course, it was him at all, responsible for her going missing.

jmo

We really don’t have many facts at all, as released by LE. They are holding everything about this investigation close to the vest.

I would expect any evidence of prior DV, (if it happened at all), would only be released if BM is ever arrested and goes to trial. Anything said prior to that would be inculpatory and jeopardize a fair trial.

jmo

Worrying or speculating that there was domestic violence in the marriage is not the same as knowing, though. From everything AM has said, it sounds more like there was emotional abuse. He wasn't the first person to say that BM was controlling. That BM (allegedly) was against Suzanne trying medical marijuana when she had cancer, or gave her a hard time over her depression almost every day, sounds like mental abuse to me. And of course, mental abuse can escalate to physical abuse.

When he says "I'm afraid this is domestic abuse," he could also be referring to "this" as the event that led to her disappearance.

Also "working" with domestic violence groups could mean many things. It doesn't necessarily mean she was attending a support group. We don't know who he heard that from and what details were given. It's possible, but it hasn't been verified. Imo

BBM When said abuse (bolded) is by a domestic partner it is by definition DV (domestic violence).

I agree. So if true, how is it that people are so confident that justice is just around the corner? Where is this new evidence going to come from?
I think the idea is that no body cases built largely on circumstantial evidence take a long time. However, in every case I've followed there is usually physical evidence, such as blood, tissue, bone fragments, etc, to indicate that the victim could not have survived. Even video footage of the suspect carrying what looks like a body might be enough. (Combined with other evidence.) In other words, solid evidence that the victim is deceased combined with evidence that links the suspect to the victim. Imo

I am starting to wonder if he killed her outside of the home, thus no physical evidence found inside. He could have strangled her, as someone upthread mentioned, thus no blood. He then moved and buried her body somewhere in the woods. If bleach was involved, perhaps he poured bleach over her remains when he buried her, to deter wildlife from attempting to dig her up.

jmo

Last edited:
BBM When said abuse (bolded) is by a domestic partner it is by definition DV (domestic violence).
Yes, the "clinical" definition includes physical violence. That can differ from the way it's defined in criminal law which usually includes violence, physical harm or "threats" of violence. (depending on the state)

Anyway, I was referring to physical assault or actual violence as opposed to being controlling or emotionally abusive. That's what I think Andy was describing. And more often than not, it does lead to physical violence. Imo

Murder 1 case. Proof?
@Minordetails bbm sbm Good questions, but let's not ignore the initial, critical component of any homicide case: Death. How does prosecutor estab death?
When body is present, which is virtually always, prosecutor puts the med examiner on the witness stand to verify victim is dead & to testify about -
Cause of death: Victim died of gunshot wounds, stabbing, poison, or __, and
Method of death: homicide. Not natural causes, not accidental, not suicide, not undetermined.

In a no-body case starting as a MisPers case, proving death is a big, Big, BIG obstacle for prosecutor. Not saying it can't be done, as obviously it has been.
If no body (no remains) is recovered, how does prosecutor show death the jury the MisPers is dead? With no body, no remains, no autopsy, no autopsy report, no death cert, & no medical examiner on witness stand, who can testify victim is dead & about CoD & MoD?

Prosecutor can put series of ppl on stand who testify: person was reported as a MisPers, and since [date] has not w/drawn $ from bank acct, has not contacted these friends or relatives, etc., etc, and has not been seen since. But say def team calls as witness someone who testifies that s/he bumped into the MisPers, say on Mar 12, 2021 [in Denver, NY, LA, where ever] and they talked for two minutes. If that def witness is credible to jury, she's still just missing, not dead after all. No conviction.

Above post skimming past the death issue may have assumed that body/remains will be recovered & med examiner will testify as to CoD, & state MoD was a homicide. That's okay. Not criticizing you or the post, just pointing out an easily overlooked issue. Not saying you did and hope I'm not giving that impression.

Welcoming comment, clarification, & correction esp'ly from our legal professionals.
I'll post separately to respond to ^ questions, as they are interesting. my2ct.
Kelsey Berreth case

Kelsey Berreth case
Yes In that case there was enough blood evidence in her condo that the sheriff announced they believed she was deceased. At trial they brought forth the blood evidence along with an accomplice who got a plea deal in exchange for testimony to establish a murder occurred despite having no body.

Last edited:
I agree. So if true, how is it that people are so confident that justice is just around the corner? Where is this new evidence going to come from?
This is a really good question.
I think the justice we're all hoping to see come to pass, will result from the ongoing investigation, and more interviews and evidence collected (physical, digital, etc.) to connect all the dots and spell out a clear picture that leads to an arrest warrant.
In other words, good old fashioned police work.

jmo

This is a really good question.
I think the justice we're all hoping to see come to pass, will result from the ongoing investigation, and more interviews and evidence collected (physical, digital, etc.) to connect all the dots and spell out a clear picture that leads to an arrest warrant.
In other words, good old fashioned police work.

jmo
I agree with this. It is tough to understand the importance of LEs job. We have really no understanding of what they have uncovered so mostly we look for plausible scenarios and speculate but we have very little to go on other than from people willing to put themselves out in the media.

Morphew says, “Oh Suzanne, if anyone is out there and can hear this, that has you, please, we’ll do whatever it takes to bring you back. We love you, we miss you, your girls need you. No questions asked, however much they want – I will do whatever it takes to get you back. Honey, I love you, I want you back so bad.”
___
"... I want you back so bad,” Barry.
"... I want them back now,” Chris Watts.
___

BM needs to update his public plea to include informing Suzanne, since she's incapacitated, that he obtained a legal guardianship so he could sell the home in Indiana which I tend to believe was her lifeline. BM needs to also tell her that he's sold the PP home.

Susanne knew she had a refuge in IN to resort to if needed. I don't think she wanted to sell it but I have no proof of that other than the fact the price wasn't lowered in order to attract buyers. She may have had plans to move back into the Indiana home. But, not Barry.

Why do you think he insisted on moving to Salida, CO, when leukemia had Suzanne not feeling well in May, 2018? Is it the long con moving from IN to CO? After all, a year and a half invested and he scored her $500,000 inheritance.
Cui Bono

Leave an anonymous Tip Call 719-312-7530

Last edited:
I asked CM about the number 5 on Twitter and he responded with "Trees".

https://twitter.com/kimmi12479/status/1372610408004120576?s=20

wasnt there something about an invoice that was produced showing that BM bought some trees shortly after SM went missing?

If I recall, those were the same trees planted near the PP home that the cadaver dogs hit on but was never thought to be worth investigating by LE.

May be that his bobcat was used to plant those trees and the scent was on the bobcat.

Morphew says, “Oh Suzanne, if anyone is out there and can hear this, that has you, please, we’ll do whatever it takes to bring you back. We love you, we miss you, your girls need you. No questions asked, however much they want – I will do whatever it takes to get you back. Honey, I love you, I want you back so bad.”
___
"... I want you back so bad,” Barry.
"... I want them back now,” Chris Watts.
___

BM needs to update his public plea to include informing Suzanne, since she's incapacitated, that he obtained a legal guardianship so he could sell the home in Indiana which I tend to believe was her lifeline. BM needs to also tell her that he's sold the PP home.

Susanne knew she had a refuge in IN to resort to if needed. I don't think she wanted to sell it but I have no proof of that other than the fact the price wasn't lowered in order to attract buyers. She may have had plans to move back into the Indiana home. But, not Barry.

Why do you think he insisted on moving to Salida, CO, when leukemia had Suzanne not feeling well in May, 2018? Is it the long con moving from IN to CO? After all, a year and a half invested and he scored her $500,000 inheritance.
Cui Bono

Leave an anonymous Tip Call 719-312-7530

His appearnce in the tribute video looks drawn and hostile He has a boot camp haircut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeptemberDaffodil