Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know how it works in Chaffee County but in Denver different inspectors show up for different parts of a job (for instance, plumbing and drywall). If drywall has it’s own inspector I imagine poured concrete does too. And if that’s the case I don’t think we can infer anything by the dates of inspection. JMO

Other than, that construction trade workers and even county inspectors were on their jobs during the COVID19 crisis.

Interesting. Could it be that they are securing that road in case someone tries to leave the area ? MOO

As the old adage goes, actions speak louder than words!

Highly possible, in my opinion. More likely though, to protect the privacy of someone living on CR 240 or perhaps a house guest of someone on CR240 from the inevitable sudden onslaught of reporters. Again, just my random opinion. IMO

I hope she is found today also.
Sadly, I do not think this will have a nice outcome.
I have lots of yard work today today and all I can think of is SM and what a lovely person she seems to be and what could have happened to her and where she might be.
Back and forth across the lawn I will be mowing and thinking, thinking, thinking of her and what in the world happened??? I hope they can find her. for some reason I'm thinking that might not happen. :/

And why does someone with a million dollar home need a page???

Regarding the FB page for SM,
If the family or atleast some of them also suspect BM
which IMO is more than likely considering what we can see happening with the searches ect,
and I'm sure the family know a lot more than we do right now such as BM's whereabouts around her dissapearance, when SM was last actually seen and I'm guessing many more facts we are not yet privvy too.
If this is the case it would be awfully difficult to update the FB page, asking for the publics help or even a general update!!
The silence here speaks volumes MOO
Yes, I'm sure they at least know more than we do. There has been a significant turn in the investigation and they probably realize that the chances of her being kidnapped and found alive are very slim. I would think they need time to process all that's happening so staying away from SM is probably a good choice. They don't need the added stress.

Imo

Right - but I'd like to know if he commonly called her that. I've shared the clip with a couple of colleagues (all of us with some background in linguistics - mine is more in facial expressions and body language than in speech analysis). Every one of us (including me) wants more context. Is there anyone behind the camera (I think it's on a tripod). How many takes? Eyes are not red, but there are bags under Barry's eyes, consistent with losing sleep. Main affect is fear, even terror. Seems somewhat rehearsed (which is to be expected). The head-shaking indicates more fear and denial.

In other statements (such as the Barbara Thomas case), we got a view of RT walking and moving around right before the interview, and the reporter showed herself to be standing in the driveway of the family home. There was also a cameraman. This is of interest because people behave and think differently when they are alone. They are on a different kind of "linguistic platform" if they are actually speaking to someone else. Humans and their own small reactions act as dialogue partners (potential human lie detectors) but cameras do not. Talking to a camera is like writing in a diary, in some ways.

To establish a sense of his own innocence, Barry should consider doing another video, with someone asking a few questions. I think we'll see hell freeze over first, but that's what I'd advise him to do. I doubt that's what his lawyer would advise him to do. Most of us would do almost anything to get our wife or husband back, though. The lawyer could even call a presser and do most of the talking. But if Barry wants the pressure to be off, answering the few simple questions that so many of us have...would be a start.
It's naive to think he could take the pressure off by answering a few questions in public. He could be 100% innocent and the jackals would still tear him to pieces.

I can see I'm in the minority here (heck, maybe a minority of one), but this whole thing is not adding up to me.

First, from the very beginning--day 2--the sheriff has clearly focused on the husband as the perpetrator of a crime and has not investigated this as a mysterious missing person case. No "here's a description of missing woman and her bike," no "did you see this person on May 10 in this vicinity?" nothing like that. Early on, he searched water that could only have been either a dumping place for a body, or a search for someone who had, either intentionally or unintentionally, engaged in self-harm. Almost a week later, he halfheartedly asked for neighbors to "preserve" their camera footage--didn't even ask them to look at it! And specifically told them NOT to send it to him. He was certainly telegraphing that he didn't think it would be of much evidentiary value.

So he must know something that is pushing him strongly toward a crime. But then, it takes him nine days to get a judge to sign off on a search of the house! Nine days. Whatever he's seeing, that judge (or judges--can he shop that warrant to several looking for a signer?) took a long time to see. But he got it finally, carried out lots of items from the house but apparently there was no smoking gun. So now he responds to a tip and heads off to a site that, given the timeline and the state of construction, seems very unlikely to hold anything of value regarding SM's disappearance and starts breaking up concrete. This man is sure he's going to find something there. But he doesn't. Two full days of digging proves to me there's no body under that slab. And as someone pointed out earlier, they aren't looking for a body or body parts because the sifters aren't even suited up. Are they just saving face at this point?

There's just something wrong with this story. Doesn't mean I think BM is innocent. But does mean that I think LE started off with tunnel vision and it hasn't served them well.

This is possible of course, I am getting very skeptical as I read from the get-go how LE has this all handled, almost every case starts that way. I think we'll have our answer, one way or the other, in the next 24 hours.

IMO everything points in one direction. I hope I'm wrong.
If there was a dangerous unknown abductor snatching women off trails in Chaffee County, I think the actions of LE would look very different than what we are witnessing now, MOO.

Imagine how surprised we'll be when we finally get to read the details of the PC affidavit. Or not.

It's naive to think he could take the pressure off by answering a few questions in public. He could be 100% innocent and the jackals would still tear him to pieces.
IMO he shakes his head NO thru the whole clip. I think he is says no to all the things he is saying like I want you back etc. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
To point out the obvious, the fact that law enforcement is/was digging at a worksite where Barry laid dirt tells you they think this is a homicide and that it's Barry. Why they think this, and what exactly they've found, would be interesting to know, but as of now, we can't say. Did they find something in the search of the Morphew house that implicated Barry? If so, what would that be? Have they looked at --- and seen something in --- Barry's cell phone location data? Have they looked at --- and seen something in --- his electronic communications? I don't know. But clearly they believe this is a homicide and that it's Barry.

I'm way behind after taking the evening off last night, but I said this very same thing in the beginning.
All of the evidence they've collected so far is pointing in ONE direction, and they're following the evidence.
We don't know yet what that evidence is, but at some point, the PC affidavit is going to be some very curious reading.

jmo

If there was a dangerous unknown abductor snatching women off trails in Chaffee County, I think the actions of LE would look very different than what we are witnessing now, MOO.

Imagine how surprised we'll be when we finally get to read the details of the PC affidavit. Or not.

I'm not sure that the Chaffee County Sheriff's Department is that predictable. Beverly England disappeared off the street in Salida on June 12, 1980. It is still a very active case in their office. I think it's fair to say that they are very patient, and never give up, but surprising? I'll have to give that some thought. JMO

I agree about the silence. I still can't get past the fact that the police acted so quickly after a call saying someone is missing at 5:45 pm. No 24 hr wait time for a missing person, no description etc. They found or heard something upsetting enough to get multiple agencies involved immediately.
We don't know how long Suzanne's daughters were trying to get a hold of her, or when the last time they spoke to her was. If they had a reason to believe she had gone on a bike ride and was still not reachable six hours later, that would likely be enough time to worry that she was in some kind of danger. It was Mothers Day, and they probably knew it would be very unusual for their mother not to call them back.

There is no need to wait 24 hours if the information LE is given suggests a person is missing or in danger.

Imo

My input upthread was that there seem to be too many pieces cut out to fit in that big empty square. Anyone else?

Since the sieves are in action, perhaps not something as large as a cellphone, but maybe a cellphone part like a SIM?
IMO they're looking for something even smaller than that, either a fragment or something that was inadvertently left on a set of remains, like an earring stud.

On the "honey" thing, around here a "honey wagon" is a manure spreader.

Gannon...oh dear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members