Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, LE is working off of some additional information that hasn’t been made public. It was stated that the property owner at the construction site is not connected to SM’s disappearance. That indicates to me that they have some clue as to what or who is connected.

“The property owner is not connected to Morphew’s disappearance and is cooperating with law enforcement, the news release said. Authorities wrapped up the search about 5 p.m.”

Law enforcement searching near Salida for missing Chaffee County woman

From the linked press release:

"Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home."

The CCSD does not say in their release that the neighbor reported seeing SM leaving on her bike ride.

Moreover, at no point has the CCSD confirmed when the last known independent sighting of SM actually occurred.

Gannon...
Thanks GK, that seems like such a key piece of info...we need to know WHEN she actually went missing...Covid makes it that much more difficult...

I am type 2 diabetic, therefore more vulnerable, not really too worried, but my husband has seemed to enjoy getting out, shopping etc.

I have been able to shop online, and have been content to hunker down... point to this;
I probably have not seen or spoken to neighbors in a week or two....this is not necessarily abnormal, even w/ out covid.

I have been to two drive in church services, but as of May10?, we were still under lockdown...

JMO, any possible scenarios I might have
Need this critical info, thanks!

I HAVE assumed her vehicle was still at her house, but can’t remember verification here...

Team Phoenix on YouTube pointed out that there the FBI Safe Streets Task Force was seen on sight. https://youtu.be/tCcWXYYeZmE

That task force deals with violent gangs, BUT ALSO racketeering, firearms, drug conspiracy. Given the way LE is handling this, maybe kidnapping, extortion, etc. is what they are dealing with. The lack of a BOLO, description of her, husband’s plea, lack of family speaking out....
I have confidence in LE and IMO they are dealing with something quite different than a typical missing persons case.
Violent Gang Task Forces | Federal Bureau of Investigation
Just my thoughts...

^ This is similar to what I was speculating before. I feel there is something bigger going on. I work with kids in communities that deal with a lot of gang violence and association, and when there is a crime committed involving any kind of underground illegal activity, people are QUIET. Family does not want to be involved, out of fear of further crime and retaliation on them, and law enforcement tends to tread lightly. I still feel so much silence surrounding case (including family) and BM jumping to comments in plea video referring to someone who may have her and not wanting to work with LE for that video points to the possibility of something bigger. I think the lack of evidence at the new site (exposed by LE... doesn’t mean it wasn’t found) also creates the possibility of something different than the spouse being responsible. The other thing is that if this is in fact a bigger thing involving business, BM would certainly still feel guilty and responsible for his wife’s disappearance if it were tied to business dealings. JMO Remembering the private investigator that was quoted below:

(Investigator explains FBI's involvement in Chaffee County missing woman case - KRDO)
Although Corsentino says the FBI's involvement does bring out some clues.

"The sheriff of Chaffee County would say that he has information that is pertinent to something beyond Chaffee County and they want the FBI to search outside Chaffee County," he said.

While investigators have found "what's believed to be a personal item" belonging to Morphew, they haven't said what the item is.

"They want to maintain the integrity of this case. They want to make sure there are no leaks in the case especially if they have some suspicion of a person who may be involved, like a person of interest," Corsentino said.

Without much to go off of, he says his past in law enforcement leads him to believe there are unusual circumstances.

"This case is going to be something more than I think a family-related case. That's just my gut instinct," Corsentino said.

I couldn't get it to play, either; and could not locate the Mother's Day service on the church website or the church's website channel. This is last week's service May 17, 2019. Skip to start at 18:49 of 1:25:54
I have watched the whole video and have studied the extensive website. <modsnip: Do not state information as fact without providing supporting links> Both the community of Salida and the family must have some comfort in having the support of such a beautiful and caring church IMO
Click on the link. The screenshot is just to show what the screen looks like at the 18:49 starting point

Note: Church website is at this link:
Grace Church Salida

I believe both SM and the husband tagged Grace Church on their social media as their home church. You can find the Website and see that there are no on-site services:

Welcome to Grace Church
Grace Church services are being held online at 9:00am. There will not be any on-site services until further notice. View the livestream on our YouTube channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is bugging me..........What information do they have that is pertinent to something beyond Chaffee County, Colorado, in a missing woman's case ?........moo

The Sheriff did not actually say that.

"Although Corsentino says the FBI's involvement does bring out some clues. "The sheriff of Chaffee County would say that he has information that is pertinent to something beyond Chaffee County and they want the FBI to search outside Chaffee County," he said."

Former Pueblo County Sheriff now Private Investigator Dan Corsentino, said that. It's his educated, experienced opinion, but it doesn't make it fact or even accurate.

I can't locate the video link to the presser from the 15th, but if you look at the text press release from the 15th, you can see that the FBI is involved in support of the county, and there in ERT capacity - evidence response team.

That's all.
According to what the sheriff's office is releasing, anyway.
May 15 update on search for Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff

Could be. Perhaps found something on day 1 or 2, continued for yet another day, and then thought that was all they'd get.

Or, perhaps they found nothing. The fact that various FBI personnel are there should make us hopeful - although in these very trying times, we probably can't expect everything to be speedy.

I'm still very concerned about that campground and the Fire Camp not far from the Morphew house. And other possibilities that will be hard to investigate. I hope the Cloud information has been generous to Suzanne.
BBM: Please tell me why you are concerned about these two places. Are you thinking someone, camper/loner might have come from there and gotten her?

Just curious. How can you tell from that, that there is no mortgage on property? Our property records in Texas do not give a lien holder if there is one. Does Colorado normally do this? Sorry if these are dumb questions to those who see/understand these documents.
I’m also wondering about that 441 sq ft VOC add on ... is that a patio leading from great room?

Maybe they found it but aren't saying. What could they be looking for with a fingertip sifting search like that? A phone? A sim card? Something else?

Maybe they found something belonging to someone else that shouldn't be there but doesn't EXACTLY go along with the idea of "related to the missing person". Like an artifact of the perp.

Barry should have some proof that he was actually in Denver. Receipts for incidentals such as gas, hotel, food etc. LE would have been able to trace all this within days of SM first missing. What is Barry’s phone showing?

I'm not presuming anyone is a suspect; this is a question about Colorado in general. I'm in NJ, and we've been in lockdown for 2 months, though we are slowly opening back up now. Anyway, our hotels have been closed. So, my question is, were hotels/motels allowing guests in Denver/Colorado on Mother's Day weekend? I'm not sure how other states were dealing with the pandemic.

I'd go so far as to say that it's a fact that NG's podcasts consistently do not translate accurately to print media!

For example, NG stating the neighbor saw SM leave on her bike followed with the disclaimer "if it's true" --takes on a completely different meaning when the disclaimer is accidentally omitted in print media.

We most recently saw the exact same thing occur when NG said the bike was found on the bridge but this was also misrepresented as a statement of fact when her disclaimer was omitted.

I believe the best evidence that SM was never seen on her bike by the neighbor that reported her missing is the Missing Person press release dated May 11, 2020 by Chaffee County Sheriff's Office.

The press release provides that the reporting party contacted CCSO at about 5:46 pm to report that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home.

Neither the neighbor or CCSO ever reported that SM was seen on her bike. In fact, CCSO has never confirmed a bike ride took place or that the bike was recovered.

Fast forward 10+ days from the date SM was reported missing and the step-mother of one of the daughter's friends has also confirmed that sadly, nobody ever saw SM on her bike on Mother's Day.

Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle’: Questions persist amid changing reports on the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s Mother’s Day disappearance
Yes, I haven't paid much attention to NG since I listened to her in the beginning of Mollie Tibbets case and she reported that she was "running through a cornfield."

The DM is not much better.

I still wish either LE or the neighbor would confirm whether she was seen on a bike ride or not, since it's been continuously reported that she went on a bike ride and never came back.

Imo

1. If a person is not a named suspect or POI, would they be free to travel about (as much as COVID-19 allows)? The comments made from the fire chief (the pacing, etc.) almost make it sound like BM is under house arrest. Of course, BM does not have his car, but I would think he'd be able to rent one. Perhaps he is (understandably) trying to avoid media. And it's understandable he wants to stay in the area in case Suzanne is found.

The scenario where the detective in the old movie ends his questioning of a suspect by saying, “and don’t take any trips out of town,” is a movie invention. LE has no right to restrict a suspect’s movement until and unless he’s under arrest. As for “house arrest,” there’s no lesser category of arrest for someone LE sort of thinks is guilty. If he’s under arrest for murder/manslaughter/major felony, he’ll get carted off to the jail. Otherwise, he’s free. (And yes, there is such a thing as house arrest, but that would come as part of sentencing or by order of a judge before trial.)

The bigger question I have is regarding the “hold” placed on the house for over a week. Maybe a CO lawyer can weigh in here, but what is that? LE is typically able to keep you out of your house for a few hours while they await a warrant, but they can’t (basically) seize your house for a week without a judge signing off on it (warrant). I’m thinking the Morphews voluntarily vacated their house for LE to search and LE took a long time convincing the judge to allow them. Meanwhile, did they really stay out of their own house? Not sure.

I'm thinking it's weird that the girls had the neighbor's number. Unless SM had shared it with them due to her health problems. Presumably they would have called their father first, but why would he have the number? Why wouldn't he have called one of his fire fighter buddies, just in case there was a health concern?

I can't think of a time in my life when any of my relatives knew the number of my neighbors.

I think it’s most reasonable to assume that the daughters called dad first. Maybe dad passed on the neighbor’s number.

If the daughters didn’t call dad first, I’d find that very curious.

I couldn't get it to play, either; and could not locate the Mother's Day service on the church website or the church's website channel. This is last week's service May 17, 2019. Skip to start at 18:49 of 1:25:54
I have watched the whole video and have studied the extensive website. <modsnip: Do not state information as fact without providing supporting links> Both the community of Salida and the family must have some comfort in having the support of such a beautiful and caring church IMO
Click on the link. The screenshot is just to show what the screen looks like at the 18:49 starting point

Note: Church website is at this link:
Grace Church Salida
Wow... this says a lot about the person Suzanne is doesn’t it, the minister was confident in her faith, which made me feel much closer to her. Prayers that she is found today.

The Sheriff did not actually say that.

"Although Corsentino says the FBI's involvement does bring out some clues. "The sheriff of Chaffee County would say that he has information that is pertinent to something beyond Chaffee County and they want the FBI to search outside Chaffee County," he said."

Former Pueblo County Sheriff now Private Investigator Dan Corsentino, said that. It's his educated, experienced opinion, but it doesn't make it fact or even accurate.

I can't locate the video link to the presser from the 15th, but if you look at the text press release from the 15th, you can see that the FBI is involved in support of the county, and there in ERT capacity - evidence response team.

That's all.
According to what the sheriff's office is releasing, anyway.
May 15 update on search for Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff
I agree. I also think it's important to note that on the date SM was reported missing by a neighbor, the husband and daughters were all allegedly in different counties and/or states and CCSO would most likely require FBI's assistance to verify their locations. MOO

The scenario where the detective in the old movie ends his questioning of a suspect by saying, “and don’t take any trips out of town,” is a movie invention. LE has no right to restrict a suspect’s movement until and unless he’s under arrest. As for “house arrest,” there’s no lesser category of arrest for someone LE sort of thinks is guilty. If he’s under arrest for murder/manslaughter/major felony, he’ll get carted off to the jail. Otherwise, he’s free. (And yes, there is such a thing as house arrest, but that would come as part of sentencing or by order of a judge before trial.)

The bigger question I have is regarding the “hold” placed on the house for over a week. Maybe a CO lawyer can weigh in here, but what is that? LE is typically able to keep you out of your house for a few hours while they await a warrant, but they can’t (basically) seize your house for a week without a judge signing off on it (warrant). I’m thinking the Morphews voluntarily vacated their house for LE to search and LE took a long time convincing the judge to allow them. Meanwhile, did they really stay out of their own house? Not sure.
I don’t think I would want to stay in a house where someone was murdered... just speculation, of course.

I think it’s most reasonable to assume that the daughters called dad first. Maybe dad passed on the neighbor’s number.

If the daughters didn’t call dad first, I’d find that very curious.

exactly what I was going to say. Daughters phone dad "oh well she might be on a bike ride, phone 'betty' next door to go check" and the story grows from there.

The only source that stated Suzanne WAS seen on a bike ride was Nancy Grace. The reporter stated the neighbor did see her riding her bike.

So there are two conflicting reports from two sources which imo, are not necessarily reliable. Neither reporter verified that they spoke to the neighbor, in fact the DM said she declined to comment.

So at this point I don't think we know for sure. I'm still waiting for either LE or the neighbor herself to clarify. It could be a long wait.

It would be great if a reporter would ask that question at the next PC.

Imo

<modsnip>
It would seem to me that authority to completely remold the crime scenario should be founded on some sort of basic credibility claim, such as the witness actually knowing anyone in the family or possibly living in Chaffee county to claim some sort of status as neighbor or friend. IMO
Cops search a property in Colorado for evidence of mom-of-two missing since Mother's Day | Daily Mail Online
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online
Husband of Suzanne Morphew is having a 'difficult time' as diggers continue construction site search | Daily Mail Online

Search warrants for bank records take about as long as cell phone records IIRC - I cannot recall a missing case that has had nearly zero information released by LE - why? JMO
Maybe there was a situation on the radar BEFORE SM went missing, which accounts for LE's methods AFTER she went missing.

I just want to take a moment to remember and honor the men and women from across the country, who have given their lives while serving in our nation’s armed forces. They and their families have sacrificed more than I can ever imagine and I will forever be in their debt. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member