Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS is what I'm concerned about big time! It's Huge IMO. 2 weeks and we hear nothing about this or anyone else while Barry is IMO focused on. Frustrating.
Police don't report the case details on any ongoing investigation.
All public speculation is done using the few police updates parsed minutely, from any outside source, logical analysis and/or developed out of thin air.
In that sense this investigation is completely normal.

It was mentioned Barry's mother is out there and then there is the friend who also put up 100K. If they suspected Barry in the least they would never do this. How many people have a friend that puts up 100K!
It means nothing in my opinion when the prerequisite is “safe return.” How do you know the friend isn’t an accomplice? I know people who throw 100k away on a gambling table ... some people have that kind of money, and it’s not that big of a gamble when you’re ONLY asking for SAFE return. One scratch or broken nail on her could void that kind of contract. JMO.

THIS is what I'm concerned about big time! It's Huge IMO. 2 weeks and we hear nothing about this or anyone else while Barry is IMO focused on. Frustrating.
To give it some perspective, these are the agencies involved thus far:

Chaffee County Search and Rescue

Chaffee County Department of Corrections

Chaffee County Combined Tac Team

Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado

Department of Corrections (Dogs)

Colorado Parks and Wildlife

South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams

Reach Air Ambulance

Investigators from the 11th Judicial District

Colorado Bureau of Investigations

Salida Police Department

Fremont County Sheriff’s Office

Federal Bureau of Investigations

It was mentioned Barry's mother is out there and then there is the friend who also put up 100K. If they suspected Barry in the least they would never do this. How many people have a friend that puts up 100K!
I don't think his friends, his mom or any of his family do suspect him. Many of them have stated that the Morphews had a happy marriage and spoke of him in a positive light.

We don't know if LE has a suspect yet and it's likely that the only person who knows the truth is the one responsible for her disappearance.

Imo

Yeah - I can see that. But the spot they dug up in that slab is so specific. Still, it could be based on a minor displacement of soil seen on GDR and have been an exploration way on the side of caution, as you say. Since BLM is likely unable to prove exactly where he was all day on Sunday (or Saturday) and we have that "last contact with Suzanne" on May 9 (probably via text), he is naturally a suspect. Statistically, he's a POI. And they are clearly treating him as same.

BTW, someone somewhere has told Fire Chief that Suzanne usually goes on a bike ride on Sunday mornings (we have no verification of this from the daughters, who are in a better position to know). We have family "spokesperson" (no longer in that role) saying it was found in a particular place. We have the Fire Chief mentioning a ravine (I don't believe anyone regarding the placement of the bike until LE says where exactly it was found and who found it).

At the same time, I find it hard to believe that someone as experienced as Spezze would go for a warrant to cut up someone's concrete foundation pour...without strong suspicion and other evidence to convince a judge.

Is it possible that the equipment used to grade the site for the concrete pouring had residual evidence of soil and human remains from a previous dig and it showed up on the construction site?

As far as the job site, clearly LE had a viable tip or reason to search but has it ever been confirmed that he was the only excavator/landscaper working there and moving dirt? It may have been “his” subcontract but has it ever been confirmed that he personally did the work?

Maybe this has been discussed already....but if not this article is interesting.

‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]

a couple of things that pinged my interest:

The relative said they have never seen or heard about any specific issues in the Morphew’s marriage, and that the couple seemed happy. But they did indicate that Barry could be somewhat controlling.

“He’s been in charge of what happens for a long time,” they said.

--

Suzanne’s relative said they did not know Trevor Noel, and was not sure why Barry Morphew’s mother was the recipient of the donatons, though they did note that the fundraiser may be supplementing travel and housing costs for relatives who traveled to central Colorado.

--

“We are as much in the dark as anyone else, because they don’t want information getting out there that might hurt the case. It’s hard to wait and watch and wonder what’s happening,” they said, adding that the situation was “surreal” for Suzanne’s family members.

The relative said they have doubts about whether Suzanne actually went for a bike ride on May 10, as her neighbor reportedly told police. The source said they believed Suzanne’s daughters asked the neighbor to check and see if their mother’s bike was at the home.

---

Sounds to me like Suzanne's side of the family has some suspicion of things.

bbm
Agreed.
If someone thinks we're missing a big clue, how about filling it in for the rest of us ?
Waiting is hard.... ;)

Otoh ; LE have followed up many tips and I think they received an important one to dig up another person's home foundation !
Absolutely they're following up on leads !!!!!!

I agree, but I think that the lead that they got turned out to be a bust. Their lead wasn't as solid as it needed to be, perhaps. IMO

We only know about the LE searches the media reports on. They can be searching 100 different private areas but if someone in the media or a nosy nelly on social media doesn’t pick up on it, we don’t know about it. Obviously the media picked up on this recent search because of the big police presence and equipment, but that doesn’t meant LE hasn’t done even more important searches that we don’t know about.
I wish I could 'like' this post multiple times!

I wouldn’t expect anyone’s mother or close friends to suspect them.

But even if the friend did suspect him, they might put up the reward for SM’s sake alone.

I’m sure it’s not the norm to have a friend with that kind of cash, but lots of very rich people do have second (or third) homes in those mountain areas.

I agree. This LE agency has been working non stop for two weeks in something. They aren’t just sitting in their thumbs. I would think they’d have to follow up on leads. They had close to 200 tips right? That takes time to sort out. I guarantee if we were able to see what they are doing we would be amazed.
Yes, they are required to follow through on every tip they receive. Once they decide that it's a valid tip or they have other evidence that supports that tip, it develops into a lead. Once they have exhausted that lead, they move onto the next one.

At least that's the way I understand it. I would think they have more than enough to keep them busy. It's still just the beginning of the investigation.

Imo

Ok, cognisant of what moderators/admin have most recently about the importance of not posting comments that are directly accusatory of BM, I am writing the following with same in mind:

Video posted by BM, imploring whoever has Suzanne to let her go/that a substantial reward is available.
Re the video content - I am not prepared to discuss, in detail, the specifics I cite about the content. I don't want to dissect the various elements I refer to, for obvious professional reasons.
In the course of my clinical work, I have analyzed multiple appeals given by relatives/friends in the case of missing persons and suspected murder cases. Sometimes I've done this as a forensic psychiatrist. Earlier in my psychiatric medical career, I did so as a clinical psychologist. In situations where I have detained patients under mental health acts (for their own or others' protection), I have sometimes been privy to police interviews with those patients.

So, appeals made by individuals are commonly some of the richest sources of evidential material. They are always analyzed by experts, as part of LE inquiries. The interviewee/s are never told this, for obvious reasons.

The video made by BM is one in which I immediately noted 9 phases of some of the most serious red flags. This is a very high index. I'm not referring to common tells, known by a large percentage of populations with an interest in crime sleuthing. And when I refer to phases, this does not refer to one instance, but rather a particular set of behaviours, however many times they occur during the course of an interview.
The evidential material unwittingly provided by BM would give absolute justification for LE conducting immediate, extensive analyses on the home, very possibly for the purpose of reconstructing a crime scene. It doesn't render him guilty. It does, however, provide an abundance of clues.

The video content gave the police a valid reason to examine the home address. They would have been remiss had they not done so. For those of you saying it took the police over a week to go over the house, they would have needed justification for a search warrant. BM's video provided that in bucketfuls.

This case will probably turn out to be a murder. It is highly unlikely that Suzanne ran away. Look at the photos with her girls. They are close and love one another. She would not leave them without a word. The police will know when they were last in touch with her.

The police have BM's car and phone. They will already know when and where he travelled. They are asking for home camera etc footage from the 8th onwards because they desperately need physical evidence to show certain people on film who can be identified. This is most likely to corroborate existing evidence to make it more watertight.
Obviously this is my personal opinion but draws on my medical background also.
With regard to the LT team. It is my opinion that the level of expertise with which they are operating is exemplary. They are not at liberty to tell us the kinds of things some people are speculating about. They have closed down the sharing of information intentionally, and we should respect that, rather than criticise it.
It's possible that Suzanne's body will never be found. For those who have said they are clutching at straws by destroying someone's property, it was first reported by a CBS channel, I think, that the owner of the property got in touch with LE (the owner was interviewed by the channel), after hearing the news about Suzanne being missing. He wanted the police to know that BM had worked on his property, laying subsoil, the weekend she was reported missing.
LE responded with lightning speed.

Look at the facts. LE brought in CSI and FBI straight away. They assigned over 90 officers to the case. That points to a leader who is keen to marshall all the expertise he can, as quickly as possible. The police personnel, in my opinion, are behaving both expertly and robustly, which I find impressive.
If I can find the interview link between news channel and owner of the house, I'll do so before tomorrow morning (on call presently)

We don't hear anything about anyone else being investigated, except BARRY, his house, his work.
I thought the search of the house could have indicated they were, for example, looking for signs of a home invasion/abduction, as well as any devices that may have contained evidence that SM had been communicating with person(s) unknown who may have caused her harm. I didn’t assume it was necessarily about BM. Same with the worksite; we don’t know that he was the only person with access to it.

It's possible he never left at all. I believe switching SIM cards with another phone that travels can make it appear you went somewhere you didn't. Or vice versa. I remember reading about two teenage girls who did just. One girl told her parents she was sleeping at her friends house then they switched SIM cards so she could go out with a new boyfriend her parents disapproved of.
This doesn't make sense to me. Your phone wouldn't work for you if you swapped your SIM with someone else. You might as well just leave the whole phone with your swap-mate.

Good to see you back, @Dr.StClements I'm about to dig into your post and looking forward to it. Please don't be discouraged, we've all had posts scoured for one reason or another, but I think WS is the best place online to discuss ongoing crime-related events (and now, public health crises as well).

Ok, cognisant of what moderators/admin have most recently about the importance of not posting comments that are directly accusatory of BM, I am writing the following with same in mind:

Video posted by BM, imploring whoever has Suzanne to let her go/that a substantial reward is available.
Re the video content - I am not prepared to discuss, in detail, the specifics I cite about the content. I don't want to dissect the various elements I refer to, for obvious professional reasons.
In the course of my clinical work, I have analyzed multiple appeals given by relatives/friends in the case of missing persons and suspected murder cases. Sometimes I've done this as a forensic psychiatrist. Earlier in my psychiatric medical career, I did so as a clinical psychologist. In situations where I have detained patients under mental health acts (for their own or others' protection), I have sometimes been privy to police interviews with those patients.

So, appeals made by individuals are commonly some of the richest sources of evidential material. They are always analyzed by experts, as part of LE inquiries. The interviewee/s are never told this, for obvious reasons.

The video made by BM is one in which I immediately noted 9 phases of some of the most serious red flags. This is a very high index. I'm not referring to common tells, known by a large percentage of populations with an interest in crime sleuthing. And when I refer to phases, this does not refer to one instance, but rather a particular set of behaviours, however many times they occur during the course of an interview.
The evidential material unwittingly provided by BM would give absolute justification for LE conducting immediate, extensive analyses on the home, very possibly for the purpose of reconstructing a crime scene. It doesn't render him guilty. It does, however, provide an abundance of clues.

The video content gave the police a valid reason to examine the home address. They would have been remiss had they not done so. For those of you saying it took the police over a week to go over the house, they would have needed justification for a search warrant. BM's video provided that in bucketfuls.

This case will probably turn out to be a murder. It is highly unlikely that Suzanne ran away. Look at the photos with her girls. They are close and love one another. She would not leave them without a word. The police will know when they were last in touch with her.

The police have BM's car and phone. They will already know when and where he travelled. They are asking for home camera etc footage from the 8th onwards because they desperately need physical evidence to show certain people on film who can be identified. This is most likely to corroborate existing evidence to make it more watertight.
With regard to the LT team. It is my opinion that the level of expertise with which they are operating is exemplary. They are not at liberty to tell us the kinds of things some people are speculating about. They have closed down the sharing of information intentionally, and we should respect that, rather than criticise it.
It's possible that Suzanne's body will never be found. For those who have said they are clutching at straws by destroying someone's property, it was first reported by a CBS channel, I think, that the owner of the property got in touch with LE (the owner was interviewed by the channel), after hearing the news about Suzanne being missing. He wanted the police to know that BM had worked on his property, laying subsoil, the weekend she was reported missing.

Look at the facts. LE brought in CSI and FBI straight away. They assigned over 90 officers to the case. That points to a leader who is keen to marshall all the expertise he can, as quickly as possible. The police personnel, in my opinion, are behaving both expertly and robustly, which I find impressive.
If I can find the interview link between news channel and owner of the house, I'll do so before tomorrow morning (on call presently)

And I must add a caveat here: there are myriad reasons why some individuals will give certain clues when being interviewed or making an appeal. Such reasons may be tangential, but still have a bearing on how an individual behaves, verbally and non-verbally.

The video made by BM is one in which I immediately noted 9 phases of some of the most serious red flags. This is a very high index. I'm not referring to common tells, known by a large percentage of populations with an interest in crime sleuthing. And when I refer to phases, this does not refer to one instance, but rather a particular set of behaviors, however many times they occur during the course of an interview.

With regard to the LT team. It is my opinion that the level of expertise with which they are operating is exemplary. They are not at liberty to tell us the kinds of things some people are speculating about. They have closed down the sharing of information intentionally, and we should respect that, rather than criticize it.

It's possible that Suzanne's body will never be found. For those who have said they are clutching at straws by destroying someone's property, it was first reported by a CBS channel, I think, that the owner of the property got in touch with LE (the owner was interviewed by the channel), after hearing the news about Suzanne being missing.

He wanted the police to know that BM had worked on his property, laying subsoil, the weekend she was reported missing.

Wow. ^^^

Thanks for this informative post !

I think you answered my question about why the concrete needed to be dug up ; among other queries.

Good to see you back, @Dr.StClements I'm about to dig into your post and looking forward to it. Please don't be discouraged, we've all had posts scoured for one reason or another, but I think WS is the best place online to discuss ongoing crime-related events (and now, public health crises as well).

Hello - and thank you! Lovely to engage with great people like yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CamSoup