Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Go Fund Me is raising money to support search and rescue efforts in the form of meals, lodging and equipment, Noel said. He created the page. As of Thursday morning, almost 150 people had raised close to $20,000.

"We have a lot of people out here working and taking care of everything so were trying to cover all their expenses and make sure they’re well taken care of and that we have everything we need to be well-equipped to go out and find her," Noel said."

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office, CBI, FBI now investigating disappearance of Maysville area woman

You and i are thinking along the same lines.... the more I know, the less I like it. I'm preparing myself ...again....sigh
IMO

From the time the Sheriff was non-committal on the date/time that SM went missing (only confirmation is the 5:46pm time the call from neighbor came in), I've been in doubt that a bike ride ever happened.

I would not be surprised if the bike was located at or near her property -- several outbuildings and acreage belonging to family had to be searched.

To add more mystery, two MSM reports last night indicated that SM left for her bike ride at 4:46 pm which would mean she was gone exactly one hour when she was reported missing! That makes no sense and I'm waiting to see if this detail is corrected.

We also have no confirmation by LE on the location of her family when SM went missing. It seems the early report of no confirmation whether husband cooperation with authorities was appended to include he was out-of-town. At this time, I believe that to be a rumor.

According to local reports, a neighbor in the small town with a population of 135 people reported Morphew missing, and authorities have not confirmed whether Morphew’s husband was in town at the time of her disappearance. bbm

When the reward by husband announced very quickly for SM's safe return -- no questions asked -- it seemed to me that there was not a sense that she was fallen somewhere -- injured from a bike fall.

I truly don't want this to be yet another Colorado mom that's gone missing.

@oviedo -- please also be on watch for correction on time of departure - big thanks!

MOO

Police have not ruled out foul play in search for missing Colorado woman as husband offers $100,000 reward [VIDEO]

ETA: We know that all investigators including the Sheriff go into "timeline speak" the moment they get a call. I have no doubt that his office was just beginning their attempt to confirm SM's last sighting alive to establish the true date she was missing when he stated "he thought" Sunday eve was when SM went missing.

Last edited:
If they are thinking signs lead to an abduction while biking, I am a bit confused why they aren't putting out an appeal to the public like "If you were in the area of these roads between these times on Sunday, please contact us." Or "if you remember seeing a woman biking in this area" or "if you recall seeing a bike matching this description in this area, contact us." Maybe their clues are leading them in a different direction? I just remember in Mollie T's case, they did put out there about the time she went running (and I think even described what she was wearing) and had people calling in saying they saw her running. I know this isn't necessarily a neighborhood with a bunch of houses where people might be out in yards or what not, but people may have spotted her or her bike as they drove past.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/salida/81201/may-weather/332185?year=2020
Looks like it was a nice warm day on Mother's Day in the Salida, CO area so being a Sunday, being most people are not working, being that taking a drive or a bike ride or a hike is allowed, I agree that there would have been other folks around, at least passing by in vehicles. A tip line has been provided so perhaps there is a call for any potential witness.

It’s a Sunday.

College is closed. Restaurants and bars closed. Most college kids would not be able to afford staying in an apartment without a job. Maybe rooming with a bunch of friends and has a full time job working online.

Camping out of state.

Perhaps her husband had to pick up something essential for his business. Maybe the closest Home Depot is in Denver.

Pandemic. Safer at home. Essential trips only. Get outside, bike, hike - close to home.

It’s everything combined that makes it’s odd to me.

JMO

Very true as well. I truly wasn’t insinuating, just responding to the fact that people were questioning the large sum.

It’s a lot of money, for sure; I guess he figures he can afford to put up a sum of money that could elicit some information quickly. The lack of information in the face of that much money sort of implies some information by itself.

I know....
I saw her yesterday on fb. Wondered if we had a thread, now here I am hook-line-and-sinker.
Yep, this is like to be one of those cases that is consuming....unless she is found safe and soon - which would be awesome. Would be nice to have that to celebrate.

In the meantime, we're here....where are you Suzanne?

jmo

From the time the Sheriff was non-committal on the date/time that SM went missing (only confirmation is the 5:46pm time the call from neighbor came in), I've been in doubt that a bike ride ever happened.

I would not be surprised if the bike was located at or near her property -- several outbuildings and acreage belonging to family had to be searched.

To add more mystery, two MSM reports last night indicated that SM left for her bike ride at 4:46 pm which would mean she was gone exactly one hour when she was reported missing! That makes no sense and I'm waiting to see if this detail is corrected.

We also have no confirmation by LE on the location of her family when SM went missing. It seems the early report of no confirmation whether husband cooperation with authorities was appended to include he was out-of-town. At this time, I believe that to be a rumor.

According to local reports, a neighbor in the small town with a population of 135 people reported Morphew missing, and authorities have not confirmed whether Morphew’s husband was in town at the time of her disappearance. bbm

When the reward by husband announced very quickly for SM's safe return -- no questions asked -- it seemed to me that there was not a sense that she was fallen somewhere -- injured from a bike fall.

I truly don't want this to be yet another Colorado mom that's gone missing.

@oviedo -- please also be on watch for correction on time of departure - big thanks!

MOO

Police have not ruled out foul play in search for missing Colorado woman as husband offers $100,000 reward [VIDEO]

ETA: We know that all investigators including the Sheriff go into "timeline speak" the moment they get a call. I have no doubt that his office was just beginning their attempt to confirm SM's last sighting alive to establish the true date she was missing when he stated "he thought" Sunday eve was when SM went missing.
I'm thinking we may need a media thread - there was so little in the way of reporting early on. but it would help keep facts straight - I will work on that tonight - many thanks everyone for the links and updates.
JMO

It’s a lot of money, for sure; I guess he figures he can afford to put up a sum of money that could elicit some information quickly. The lack of information in the face of that much money sort of implies some information by itself.
If Suzanne was abducted, best case scenario at this point would be that a possible perp is negotiating for that money, or figuring out a way to get that money by relaying info on where Suzanne can be found without implicating himself, if she is alive.

Lauren Scharf@LaurenScharfTV
Trevor Noel, nephew of Suzanne Morphew tells me her bike was recovered Sunday. He said Suzanne is a loved family member and beautiful, sweet person. #FindSuzanne He asked for volunteers to continue to share her picture and information online. They plan to search until dark.

Is family searching for Suzanne, or is TN speaking of LE?

LE has already stated they were not seeking volunteers to assist with the search.
Since the family is relatively new to the area, perhaps they are hoping to pay for friends and/or family from IN to travel to Colorado to assist (per GF).

Unless TN is aware that LE plans to suspend their search efforts, I wouldn't think they would attempt to coordinate their own search simultaneously with LE but I could be wrong. I'm also not sure if TN is local so they'd probably need to do a call-out for local volunteers familiar with area and terrain to help with the search.

Also - if the family will begin their own search efforts, I'd expect to find this info announced on the official SM Missing page.

MOO

From yesterday, but still informative:

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

Salida, Colorado

PRESS RELEASE

May 13, 2020

On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.

A search began immediately. Over the past 4 days over 100 search personnel from Chaffee County Search and Rescue, Department of Corrections, and the Chaffee County Combined Tac Team have scoured the area. Numerous Drones have been used for countless hours to assist in the search. 8 different tracking and scent dogs from the Department of Corrections and the Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search. Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams have searched area watersheds and Reach Air Ambulance flew search missions as well, however Ms Morphew has yet to be located.

In conjunction with the search the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office began an investigation into the disappearance of Ms Morphew. Investigators from the 11th Judicial District, Colorado Bureau of Investigations, the Salida Police Department, the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigations have joined the effort.

A dedicated tip line has been established by the Colorado Bureau of Investigations. That tip line number is 719-312-7530. Anyone with information into the disappearance of Ms Morphew are asked to call the tip line.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****

It’s everything combined that makes it’s odd to me.

Same here. It's the combo that makes me think:

1) random occurrence that everyone was gone the weekend she went missing and it means nothing

2) someone arranged for everyone to be gone

3) she arranged for everyone to be gone

4) it was random she was alone, but someone outside the family she would be alone.

jmo

"Noel urged people to question the sheriff about the condition of the bike."

'We Want Her Back': $200,000 Reward Offered In Search For Suzanne Morphew
Yes.
Very odd !
Was it dirty and dented, like a car ran into it ?
Or was it pristine and laid on the shoulder of the road ?
Which road ?
How far had she presumably gone ?
Etc.
And the public is not being warned about a kidnapper on the loose.

Right now I don't think she had an accident because I think she'd have been located by now.
Imo.

Yes.
Very odd !
Was it dirty and dented, like a car ran into it ?
Or was it pristine and laid on the shoulder of the road ?
Which road ?
How far had she presumably gone ?
Etc.
And the public is not being warned about a kidnapper on the loose.

Right now I don't think she had an accident because I think she'd have been located by now.
Imo.
Yup!!
Annnnnnd why does he feel the need to push the sheriff for this particular answer?....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop