Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One is still in high school.

I thought I read she was on a camping trip or something? Regardless, my point was mainly that not every family celebrates holidays like Mother's Day. Unless a family friend or relative comes out to say "They were always together on MD, so this is very concerning," I am not reading into it.

Noel says her bike was found that evening, but Morphew was nowhere to be found. Sheriff John Spezze has told CBS4 it was “probably not” animals. Noel urged people to question the sheriff about the condition of the bike.
'We Want Her Back': $200,000 Reward Offered In Search For Suzanne Morphew

Just catching up.

I assume the urging from the nephew means the Sheriff is not sharing information about the investigation and he wants to apply pressure?
Not criticizing him, I'd want answers too. Today marks day five of their nightmare :(

JMO
Yeah that is how I interpreted it too. That the nephew does not know the condition of the bike and he is curious about it too. He probably only knows it was found. That is how I take it anyway.

I wonder what she was doing in the days before she went missing? What do we know so far?
Did Suzanne have a day job ?
There's a reason why I'm asking.

It's just that sometimes people open up to coworkers more than family.
As in; what if Suzanne wanted out of her life for whatever reason ?
Or was there someone hanging around their home or her husband's business that she was afraid of ?
Etc.

It's even possible the husband was OOT for business (or whatever), the daughter at college may have off-campus housing she still has to pay for so she decided to stay there, and the younger daughter had an invitation/opportunity to go camping and Suzanne told her to go ahead, that she didn't mind being alone and would have plenty to keep her busy. I mean, this is all MOO, but at the end of the day, we just don't know if it was odd for her to be alone on MD or not. Some people don't celebrate it at all, some families celebrate on another weekend. If her husband had already been scheduled to be away for MD, perhaps they celebrated early or planned to celebrate it late.

I was unsure to ask but even in those area's people always take their phone with them right?

I would have thought so, but maybe she wasn't intending to be out longer than a half-hour and didn't bother.

Another thought just had. If indeed she was out on a bike, was she actually going to meet someone?

I wonder what she was doing in the days before she went missing? What do we know so far?
Great question! We know nothing. We don't even know what time SM actually left home -- on or off her bike. We learned from her nephew that her bike was found but no details about that either. :eek:

Last edited:
I DO wonder, if everything we've heard is true (daughter away camping and husband OOT on business), when was her daughter supposed to return from this trip and when did she leave? When was the husband supposed to return from his trip and when did he leave?

Basically I would love to know a window of time that she was totally alone and who spoke with her last, but I know we aren't going to get that info.

In conjunction with the search the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office began an investigation into the disappearance of Ms Morphew. Investigators from the 11th Judicial District, Colorado Bureau of Investigations, the Salida Police Department, the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigations have joined the effort.
Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

Is the Fremont County Sheriff's Office the neighboring County? Shades of Gannon Stauch, where the searches went into areas outside El Paso County.
Curious if something in particular is leading them to include FCSO other than extra manpower?

I am curious to know where the bike was found. Technically it could have been found at her house, though I don't know that that's what I think happened. If it was found out on a road or in the trees or something, I think that points to an abduction MOO. I can't think of any other reason she would leave her bike. I guess maybe to step off into the woods to go to the bathroom but how long was she even out? And if the bike was close to her home (which I don't know that it is), she could have just ridden back home. Otherwise, I don't really see a good reason to (of your own volition) dismount your bike and leave it that isn't nefarious.

This case is very concerning. We have seen some other cases where a single person was out exercising - either running or biking - and it was a total crime of opportunity by a stranger. I am getting that vibe here MOO.

This is a big worry for me as well. So many go missing when out for a run, or ride, etc...A small part of me worries that the actions of the husband/LE statements (or lack thereof) regarding the husband seem off just from the small bits we have, but most of me leans toward the idea of abduction. I worry she’s going to be found in the woods along her path of travel. It really hinges on where and when the bike was found.

I still find it odd they haven’t shown a photo of the bike and asked for tips if anyone has seen her out riding that day, or something along those lines.

Perhaps she spoke with one or both daughters that day and told them she was leaving to go on a bike ride. When they tried calling her later, long after she should have been home and couldn't reach her, they panicked (rightfully so it seems!) and called the neighbors who verified her bike was gone and therefore told authorities she "went on a bike ride and never came back." MOO

I was unsure to ask but even in those area's people always take their phone with them right?

It probably depends on SM's personal habits. If she was aware that she would not have service on the trail, a good chance she'd leave her phone home.

Cellular coverage in Chaffee County cannot be compared to the City and most users complain about "roaming" problems with all the major carriers.

Who's the Best Carrier In Salida? 97 People Agree It's This.

Could SM possibly have been friends/hanging out with the neighbor earlier in the day? Husband out of town, chilling with the neighbor instead? Said she was going to go out for a bike ride, come back over at whatever time? And then never returned? Total speculation, but that would make more sense than a neighbor randomly observing that she never returned home from a bike ride.

Or, SM had told husband/daughters/family members that she was going out to ride her bike and when they couldn't reach her, one of them reached out to the neighbor.

Such little info being released by LE. There's a reason the immediate family is staying silent. I don't know what that reason is, but someone is giving them guidance to keep a low profile.

It probably depends on SM's personal habits. If she was aware that she would not have service on the trail, a good chance she'd leave her phone home.

Cellular coverage in Chaffee County cannot be compared to the City and most users complain about "roaming" problems with all the major carriers.

Who's the Best Carrier In Salida? 97 People Agree It's This.

True but it could help in locating her if she was lost or could not get home safely?

Lot's of blanks to fill in, right?

Did Suzanne work? Since family (nephew) has just began speaking publicly, I hope we are able to learn more about her day to day activities. Those kinds of details could lead to potential suspects, if this was not an encounter with a stranger.

The one thing I think of, too, especially after Mollie Tibbett's case, is that often times, when out hiking/biking/running, you run a fitness tracker of some sort to track your mileage (I know I do). It could just be on a phone or Apple Watch or might be a FitBit. I wonder if she had one of those things running and if that might be providing clues to LE that are concerning to them.

Even if cell phone coverage is spotty (I'm not saying it is but sometimes it is in the mountains), I can't imagine not taking my cell with me on a bike ride alone just in case. But who knows how she felt about having her phone on her. We don't even know where the phone is, correct?

IMO I wouldn't get too caught up in the reward money offered. BM owned successful business in Indiana. (He may still own it not sure) SMs father was successful businessman as well as her brother now taking over the family business. To me the reward money is miniscule in the big picture. Likewise the housing costs, I don't see this as a indicator of anything outside of them potentially being targeted because of wealth. She is extremely well liked in her hometown and am seeing hundreds of Indiana "friends and family" sharing posts, pleading for her return, and I'm sure contributing to the Go Fund set up.
Prayers for a safe return to her family.

Very true as well. I truly wasn’t insinuating, just responding to the fact that people were questioning the large sum.

Looked at the public posts about her on Facebook. One woman shared that she was friends with her and they reconnected as they were both going thru treatment last summer. Husband also shared a post she had beaten cancer twice. All public posts and can be found if looked for.
^^bbm

Just a reminder that not all "public posts" can be discussed or posted on the thread including comments by others on SM -- violates TOS. If you can't link it, it doesn't belong here.

IMO I wouldn't get too caught up in the reward money offered. BM owned successful business in Indiana. (He may still own it not sure) SMs father was successful businessman as well as her brother now taking over the family business. To me the reward money is miniscule in the big picture. Likewise the housing costs, I don't see this as a indicator of anything outside of them potentially being targeted because of wealth. She is extremely well liked in her hometown and am seeing hundreds of Indiana "friends and family" sharing posts, pleading for her return, and I'm sure contributing to the Go Fund set up.
Prayers for a safe return to her family.
I hear ya, but for those of us who have followed cases for a long time here, there is often a pattern with rewards, and this one seems to be a bit off.

Might mean absolutely nothing except a desire for a beloved person's return. But that doesn't mean we don't notice the reward.

We don't have much to go on at the moment in this case - so the few facts will be chewed (and chewed some more).

Welcome to WS. :)

jmo

The one thing I think of, too, especially after Mollie Tibbett's case, is that often times, when out hiking/biking/running, you run a fitness tracker of some sort to track your mileage (I know I do). It could just be on a phone or Apple Watch or might be a FitBit. I wonder if she had one of those things running and if that might be providing clues to LE that are concerning to them.

Even if cell phone coverage is spotty (I'm not saying it is but sometimes it is in the mountains), I can't imagine not taking my cell with me on a bike ride alone just in case. But who knows how she felt about having her phone on her. We don't even know where the phone is, correct?
Sometimes I bring along my phone when I take a walk so I can take photos should something strike my eye. So even with spotty phone service, she still might have her phone if she likes to take pictures.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member