Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t get it either. One daughter is in high school. One is in college one hour away. Most college students I know go home for holidays or even move back after they graduate. I don’t think the girls are leaving the nest quite yet.
I don’t get it either. One daughter is in high school. One is in college one hour away. Most college students I know go home for holidays or even move back after they graduate. I don’t think the girls are leaving the nest quite yet.
With Covid most students were ordered to leave campus thwy would have had to go home. All classes have been online.

Not trying to sound like a dick, but why do I feel like they're promoting this G F M more than anything?

I've seen more emphasis on this than anything else. Able to put up 200k(albeit 100k came from friend) reward within 48 hours but need 50k g f m.
"The Go Fund Me is raising money to support search and rescue efforts in the form of meals, lodging and equipment, Noel said. He created the page. As of Thursday morning, almost 150 people had raised close to $20,000.

"We have a lot of people out here working and taking care of everything so were trying to cover all their expenses and make sure they’re well taken care of and that we have everything we need to be well-equipped to go out and find her," Noel said."

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office, CBI, FBI now investigating disappearance of Maysville area woman

In the latest telephone interview with the nephew (link on the last page), I actually had to stop the audio because the shakiness in his voice made me cry, as he was clearly trying not to.
I think he's doing all he can to get the word out about how dear she is to him and the rest of the family, and in doing so, at least for me, he's doing a spot on job of making sure the public knows how loved this woman is by her family.

jmo
I heard the shakiness in his voice during the first interview. I haven't heard the other one yet, but yes, it does seem like this is a close, loving family and they are all worried about Suzanne.

I think the nephew thinks or knows something terrible may have happened and they are desperate to find her.

Imo

"The Go Fund Me is raising money to support search and rescue efforts in the form of meals, lodging and equipment, Noel said. He created the page. As of Thursday morning, almost 150 people had raised close to $20,000.

"We have a lot of people out here working and taking care of everything so were trying to cover all their expenses and make sure they’re well taken care of and that we have everything we need to be well-equipped to go out and find her," Noel said."

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office, CBI, FBI now investigating disappearance of Maysville area woman

I'm not questioning what the g f m is being used for, or if it's necessary (which it probably is).

What I'm questioning is why are they pushing the g f m more than a missing poster, or something along those lines. Doesn't seem to me like they are dying for the money to be able to keep the search going.

I'm not sure if this goes against TOS or whatever but if you "sleuth" the family you'll see what I mean.

Do we know if there is cellphone service in the area she was in?

Just wondering because I haven't heard any mention of her having a phone with her, and I would think they would have checked her GPS data right away.

Jmo
Phone service is what can be expected of a small mountain town -- about 75% and most of the time it's "roaming." I linked a blog earlier where locals check daily for whether service is up/down.

MOO

The pics on her facebook show to me a relaxed happy mother and her daughters. Not photoshopped at all - hair kind of messy, not posed, very pretty. The disturbing photo to me is the black and white one in a circle with the husband standing in the doorway. It looks a bit like "I'm the boss".

I'm thinking either the condition of the bike and/or the location of the bike make it seem urgent that LE be contacted.

jmo

eta: To clarify, it's my hunch that the neighbor found the bike and then called LE. jmopinion
Agreed. And I’m almost certain that no one in the family or none of the neighbors in the immediate vicinity saw Suzanne on Sunday based on the report that:

“Sheriff John Spezze said [Sunday is the] day they think she went missing.“

Given that this newspaper is based in Salida (vs. a national outlet) and the linked article was posted on their Facebook page Tuesday afternoon, it is likely, IMO, that as of Tuesday morning or possibly Monday evening, LE still had not been able to confirm when Suzanne was last seen (either by a witness or via a security camera) or her last voice communication was prior to the neighbor’s 911 call.

I wonder if the neighbor happened upon an abandoned bike, recognized it as Suzanne’s and called the police, or a worried family member reached out to them, they went looking for her and came across the bike instead.

Do we know if there is cellphone service in the area she was in?

Just wondering because I haven't heard any mention of her having a phone with her, and I would think they would have checked her GPS data right away.

Jmo

Good thought. MOO virtually no one goes bike riding especially trail riding without a phone.

Courtney Fromm‏Verified account @courtney_fromm
We just got here. A sign just north of Poncha Springs letting drivers know Monarch Pass is closed. That is where search crews are continuing to look for Morphew. I attached a map to give an idea where Maysville is in comparison. Several officials cars have driven by. @FOX21News https://twitter.com/amberjocooper/status/1261314226108239873 …

2:14 PM - 15 May 2020

Amber Jo Cooper‏Verified account @AmberJoCooper
According to the press release, the media will not be granted access to the site. Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze plans to brief the media at the conclusion of the search, most likely Friday afternoon.

8:36 AM - 15 May 2020

Reminder: the LOVE of money is the root of all evil (not just money itself) :)

I'm on the fence on this case.....I can see many possibilities and nothing points to an obvious scenario yet to me, including a money motive. Awaiting more info.

jmo
Look...it seems like neither had an income. likely living off family wealth. daughters grown or almost so. post divorce...wheres the money coming from or TO? I dont want to say more and get deleted. you know what im getting at.

One thing I'm missing is that someone usually personalizes a missing person for the public.

She is instantly likable, given how photogenic she is and how family oriented and active seems to be, but I don't feel like I know her. Usually there is someone making sure the public gets attached to the missing person by sharing their hobbies, accomplishments, background, etc.

Just an observation. Slightly less urgent in this case, I suppose, as it does have so much coverage already.

jmo
The pics on her facebook show to me a relaxed happy mother and her daughters. Not photoshopped at all - hair kind of messy, not posed, very pretty. The disturbing photo to me is the black and white one in a circle with the husband standing in the doorway. It looks a bit like "I'm the boss".

That photo makes me do a double-take, too. Yet Suzanne looks relaxed and happy in the background. Maybe she likes the person who took the photo and he doesn’t? Or she doesn’t mind being interrupted, but he does?

I haven’t read it, so i might be off base, but is it possible there are two factions of the family, one that has the $ and posted the reward, and the other one that wants to do searching and needs the *** money?
Good perspective, @elmomom ! ^^^
Who knows how the family is communicating with one another.
And if they're like many families... there may have been disagreements or tensions about something major or just minor hurt feelings.

Has it been said WHERE the bike was found? Because I am struggling to find a concrete sighting report of her leaving home with a bike or on the road on a bike. Was this just an assumption because this was something she did regularly?

Also, when did one of the family actually last speak to her or have text or email communication? Because it must have been some while if as reported they were anxious about not having heard from her and so got on to the neighbour. I don't think you would do that after just say an hour, or even three, so I am thinking it was a long period.

camera.jpg

Highway 50 over Monarch Pass around 9 a.m. Friday. / Photo courtesy Colorado Department of Transportation

Monarch Pass closed as crews search for missing Chaffee County woman

Maybe what Mom wanted for Mother's Day was a day by herself in the midst of a pandemic lockdown.

As much as we love our teen/young adult children, sometimes they are trying. Perhaps Dad went camping with them and Mom stayed home, had a spa weekend and was looking forward to her bike ride.

...does that work? I typed it out, not sure it works for me. I'm trying to find hopeful scenarios.

Last edited:
and yes...I have two "mid"-teenagers, and we have already started thinking about an empty nest. so, "soon-to-be" empty nesters is fairly accurate. we can agree to split hairs...but the point is that house was likely purchased as the place in which they planned to grow old

The photos are all posed. No relaxing. The women don't look "real" to me, no personality, just products: makeup, tooth whitener, bottle tans and salon hair. And, if this isn't the effect of "products", it's the effect of Photoshop. Either way, it doesn't seem as though there's any them there.
I dont agree. But that's a perk of WS. Everyone can have their own idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298