Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I would like to know what the last confirmed sighting of her was. And what was the last time someone spoke to her, even if by phone or FaceTime?

I'm curious if the neighbor actually saw her riding her bike away from her house or an assumption was just made because her bike is missing? Someone could have done something to her at the house, for instance, and then taken her bike to throw people off the track. MOO.

Suzanne has an Instagram account but it’s set to private.
Suzanne Morphew (@suzanne0430) • Instagram photos and videos

Has the family set up a public page?

I tried to find one too and could not.

Slightly OT but related to missing person cases......
One thing I wish FB would do is to open up any "Missing" FB pages to be totally public pages without messing up the screen. I dont have a FB id and it is frustrating to view any Missing FB pages even if they are set for public use because when you dont have a FB id, what FB does is they take up a large portion of the screen with their silly notes about logging in or creating a new account. I keep having to click on "not now" and then FB still takes up a portion of the screen with their notes about joining.

It drives me crazy and I cant help but wonder how many missing people would have been found or helped to find them if FB would just quit taking up so much of the screen when someone does not have a FB id.

It will probably take a petition or something to get FB to change things. No telling how many people could have been saved by now if it were not for FB trying to get more subscribers. There are lots of people that dont have FB id and will never sign up for FB but they still want to help find missing people but their FB pages are difficult to read because of what FB is doing.

ETA - This link is an example for another case. When you dont have a FB id , you get a portion of your screen taken up with them wanting you to log in or create an account. It never goes away. You can size it to try to make it smaller but it makes it difficult to read. btw - this person's body was already found.

EPC Sheriff's Office

Last edited:
I tried to find one too and could not.

Slightly OT but related to missing person cases......
One thing I wish FB would do is to open up any "Missing" FB pages to be totally public pages without messing up the screen. I dont have a FB id and it is frustrating to view any Missing FB pages even if they are set for public use because when you dont have a FB id, what FB does is they take up a large portion of the screen with their silly notes about logging in or creating a new account. I keep having to click on "not now" and then FB still takes up a portion of the screen with their notes about joining.

It drives me crazy and I cant help but wonder how many missing people would have been found or helped to find them if FB would just quit taking up so much of the screen when someone does not have a FB id.

It will probably take a petition or something to get FB to change things. No telling how many people could have been saved by now if it were not for FB trying to get more subscribers. There are lots of people that dont have FB id and will never sign up for FB but they still want to help find missing people but their FB pages are difficult to read because of what FB is doing.
Amen to your post! 100% agree with this!

Also, do we know if she worked anywhere?

Snipped

Very good question. I think we're jumping to the conclusion that she went on the bike ride on Sunday because she was reported as not having returned on Sunday.

But perhaps the "bike ride" was Saturday or even earlier. Maybe a family member who couldn't reach Suzanne over the weekend finally called a neighbor....though why wouldn't the family member call 911 him/herself? Maybe the neighbor offered to call 911 for the family - would be something I can see myself doing for a child, ykwim. Perhaps a child was calling Mom on Mother's Day and finally got worried enough to seek neighbor's help?

When did she go on the bike ride?
How did neighbor know to call authorities?
Why didn't a family member call authorities?

jmo
I posted very early on that the last "known" sighting was strange IMO. something is going on here - just can't figure out what yet.
JMO

Snipped

Very good question. I think we're jumping to the conclusion that she went on the bike ride on Sunday because she was reported as not having returned on Sunday.

But perhaps the "bike ride" was Saturday or even earlier. Maybe a family member who couldn't reach Suzanne over the weekend finally called a neighbor....though why wouldn't the family member call 911 him/herself? Maybe the neighbor offered to call 911 for the family - would be something I can see myself doing for a child, ykwim. Perhaps a child was calling Mom on Mother's Day and finally got worried enough to seek neighbor's help?

When did she go on the bike ride?
How did neighbor know to call authorities?
Why didn't a family member call authorities?

jmo

Yes I would like to know what the last confirmed sighting of her was. And what was the last time someone spoke to her, even if by phone or FaceTime?

I'm curious if the neighbor actually saw her riding her bike away from her house or an assumption was just made because her bike is missing? Someone could have done something to her at the house, for instance, and then taken her bike to throw people off the track. MOO.

Yes, a confirmed last sighting or telephone call with SM would be good to know.

Cynical me, I think the bike ride story is just that, a coverup story. Maybe the missing bike—and it should be missing given the bike ride story— could be in someone’s garage, in an outbuilding, in a vehicle (especially a pickup with a topper or tonneau cover), thrown over an embankment, etc.

I wouldn’t necessarily have let my cynicism take over, because the bike ride story seemed quite plausible, but the oddities, unanswered questions, and silence from her family from the beginning of this case became too much to ignore or explain away.

The sheriff’s declaration that this is now a criminal investigation is sad news to hear, but not surprising. Unfortunately.

Hey Knox! I saw she was missing on FB, and thought I would come here and see if a thread was started. Odd her neighbor called and not a luved one.
Ill head back to reading again....
Glad to see you here! Lot's of mysteries in this case, hopefully a local media source will start asking the right questions!

I thought one daughter was in college and the other in HS. Schools are closed so why weren’t they with her on Mother’s Day. It sounds like she was alone on Mother’s Day, which I think is sad. This is a very strange case. MOO

Also, do we know if she worked anywhere?
At some point she taught 6th grade. I'll try and find an MSM/TOS link. There are a lot of former students commenting on various articles - but not linkable.

As long as I am posting, if Suzanne is the victim of criminal activity, which seems to be the case with LE calling it a "criminal investigation" I am hoping it was a stranger. Pictures of her with her daughters show someone who so clearly loved and was loved by her children. It would be heartbreaking if those two young women lost both of their parents because of a criminal act. And it will be a Chris Watts situation - on the outside, the perfect family.

I don't have a hinky meter one way or the other about the husband - there just isn't enough to go on. But all the money, charities, LLCs, recent move, hinky meter is going crazy. MOO x 100. Could be absolutely nothing.

Questions I have:
  • When was the last verified independent sighting of SM?
  • Where was her husband last weekend?
  • What's her current marital status, i.e, married, separated, living together or separately, etc.?
  • Was SM's cell phone found at the home or not?
"A friend" and I were talking about this case yesterday.

We, too, noted the substantial cost increase b/t the last home in IN and the CO house.

As another poster noted, that can often be an indication of a party receiving an inheritance.
Another possibility would be increased income d/t job promotion or career advancement.
There may also have been some lucrative stock market investments.

Or, it could be a case of people's eyes being bigger than their wallets.
Any time there's a whiff of money around a case, I get concerned.
"For the love of money is the root of all evil."

The charitable foundation is also a bit eyebrow-raising, for various reasons, not the least of which is the relatively small income listed on the foundation's filed tax returns, and by relatively small, I mean 4 figures.

Taken individually, the facts surrounding SM's disappearance don't in and of themselves signal foul play.

Taken collectively, the facts are extremely concerning.

I'm seeing red flags littered all over the field on this one.

JMO.

The search continued Tuesday with only dogs. Sheriff John Spezze said there is no need for volunteers. Sheriff Spezze would not comment on whether or not Morphew bike was recovered. By late afternoon Tuesday, Morphew had not been found.

This is an ongoing investigation and the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office asks that any person or persons who may have information please call the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office at 719-539-2596 or Chaffee County Crime Stoppers at 719-539-2599.
More than 100 help search for missing woman in Chaffee County

Someone mentioned the price of their former home in Indiana vs. their Colorado home. Their home in Indiana was around $900,000, which would cost over a million in Colorado.
Good point. I'm sure there is a cost of living difference between Indiana and Colorado, so while they might have moved "up," perhaps it's not as huge of leap as first thought.

My hunch is she enjoyed the move. She looks like an outdoorsy woman and happy when active and outdoors.

(She kind of looks like she could be Kelsey Berreth's older sister.)

jmo

Gregory Nieto on Twitter

Newly posted fliers: Missing Chaffee County Mom/Wife/Cyclist. $100k Reward for “Safe Return.” @channel2kwgn @KDVR @ChaffeeSheriff @KOAColorado @denverpost
EX6zg7wWsAMxPpX

EX6zg70XgAIFY_n

I've promised to make a Case Archive, I will begin this evening.
Luv your work AR!
I thought one daughter was in college and the other in HS. Schools are closed so why weren’t they with her on Mother’s Day. It sounds like she was alone on Mother’s Day, which I think is sad. This is a very strange case. MOO
Yes, this doesn't sit well with me. Colorado ranks 19th in the country for states with the most limitations and stricter lockdown--yet no one is home with her.

(She kind of looks like she could be Kelsey Berreth's older sister.)

jmo

I thought the same thing and we have had too many sad Colorado cases lately. With the Patrick Frazee murder of Kelsey Berreth, and the recent murder of Gannon Stauch allegedly by his step Mom, and now this case, its starting to be a bad trend there in Colorado.

I pray there is still hope in finding Suzanne alive and well. It doesnt look very promising right now but lets hope it can somehow have a happy ending with this one.

To help give people a feel for the area near where Suzanne lived, the "Monarch Pass" was mentioned and I drove over that pass a couple times many years ago when visiting Crested Butte ski area. Its called a "Pass" because its like other "Mountain Passes" and it is literally at the very top of one of the many Rocky Mountains in that area and the elevation is 11,312 feet. Its a beautiful area there and these Colorado cases lately are putting a damper on a wonderful state and area.

Someone else kindly shared this map link of the area on a previous page. All that rough looking terrain are huge mountains. When you are near Monarch Pass you are basically in the middle of serious mountains and it is beautiful.

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member