Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How close are neighbors? I thought someone had noted that houses are far apart. Just wondering if maybe the neighbor didn’t actually notice Suzanne never returned. Maybe, instead, the neighbor was asked by family to go check and see if Suzanne had come home. MOO

The main question I have that I havent seen answered is what day and what time exactly did she leave her house to go on this alleged bike ride?
Snipped

Very good question. I think we're jumping to the conclusion that she went on the bike ride on Sunday because she was reported as not having returned on Sunday.

But perhaps the "bike ride" was Saturday or even earlier. Maybe a family member who couldn't reach Suzanne over the weekend finally called a neighbor....though why wouldn't the family member call 911 him/herself? Maybe the neighbor offered to call 911 for the family - would be something I can see myself doing for a child, ykwim. Perhaps a child was calling Mom on Mother's Day and finally got worried enough to seek neighbor's help?

When did she go on the bike ride?
How did neighbor know to call authorities?
Why didn't a family member call authorities?

jmo

Thanks! There are some well-known trails in the area, I'll link the map. Shows a turn out with vehicles parked and a trail head called the Colorado Trail.
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Suzanne has been married for quite a while, wonder if her husband was out of town, hence the neighbor reporting her missing?
Hey Knox! I saw she was missing on FB, and thought I would come here and see if a thread was started. Odd her neighbor called and not a luved one.
Ill head back to reading again....

Thanks for sharing the newsletter. I was thinking accident initially, but now I'm worried about the potential for an abduction.

Maysville’s Suzanne Morphew, 49, is missing. The Chaffee County Communications Center received a call about a missing female at 5:46 p.m. on Sunday. Sheriff John Spezze said that’s the day they think she went missing.

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area of C.R. 225 and U.S. 50 in Maysville and contacted the reporting party who told them Morphew had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home.

Maysville woman missing

Missing Persons Planet@Home4theMissing
49-year-old Suzanne Morphew of Maysville, Colorado was reported missing on Sunday @ 5:45PM after she failed to return home from a bike ride near County Road 225 & U. S. 50; she was reported missing by her neighbor because her husband is in Denver on business.

This is pure conjecture on my part, but wondering if husband was out of town and could not get a hold of Suzanne? He called a neighbor to go check on her, when they found she wasn't home husband asked them to report her missing?

Maybe her car was home, but not her bike. Or the neighbor actually saw Suzanne on her bike, maybe even Sunday morning or earlier in the day? Calling at 5:45 PM unless there was a specific reason to be alarmed doesn't really make sense. It's not dark at that time.

Sunday was Mother's Day, they have two daughters. Maybe Suzanne was supposed to meet them for a celebration and didn't show up. Wish we had more details.
Wow, my neighbors would not know if I went for a bike ride or if I had ever returned....

I find it very odd for all three family members to be traveling given the shutdowns/advisories and particularly on Mother’s Day. High schools and colleges were closed. I do not see any interviews or pleas from the husband/father or kids yet despite the reward already being offered - have there been any? Maybe soon.

I am very concerned that there is no need for volunteers now. IMO
Good questions!!!

Google says the map data is from 2020, but I'm not a map expert. I count only 3-4 homes on acreage and a RV park, which are near her home. LE was searching the Monarch Pass area yesterday. Due to the limited info from LE we have no idea which path she took. If she headed towards Monarch, she could have went Hwy 225 or it looks like the Colorado trail heads that way past Foose Lake.
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

LE is not even releasing a description of her bike, that is odd. I know they don't want search volunteer's but what about people in the area who may come across her bike?
Someone provided a link yesterday to webcams, one of which is not far from her home. In the brief period I watched, there were a lot of people on the river! So I assume the trails may be equally busy. Wouldn't you want folks to be on the lookout?
What? Not releasing description of the bike?? Why not?
Ummm that's peculiar....

Wow, my neighbors would not know if I went for a bike ride or if I had ever returned....
Same here. The only scenario I can think of when a neighbor would notice if I hadn't returned would be if a neighbor were babysitting my child when I "went for a bike ride." In that scenario, I can envision a neighbor calling authorities if I didn't come home.

That is not the case here, so I'm assuming a family member called the neighbor and then the neighbor called authorities. I would like to hear that 911 call.

jmo

Searched for an update after reading this thread and saw this article posted today, 5/13/20.
Interesting tidbits:
Spezze declined to comment on whether Morphew’s husband is cooperating with authorities in the search for the woman or whether investigators believe there’s foul play involved.

“This is an open criminal investigation,” Spezze said during a brief interview.
Oh noooooooo.....

Do we know who put the $100,000 reward up? It is only if she is found safe. Whoever offered could know that won't be the outcome. Also there's a public fund account set up by a family member. If family are the ones who offered the 100,000 why are they asking for search $ ( raised $6600.00 already). Who talked/saw her Saturday? For LE to say it's criminal and no mention in the above article about the reward $ makes me think family put it up. Not saying anything about if husband is being cooperative or details regarding a cell phone etc speaks volumes. I'm not saying a family member/neighbor/bad deal gone wrong but LE is calling it criminal which tells me she isn't hurt somewhere after falling off the bike. I still feel like she would have been captured on some security camera. IMO.

Did you notice the Colorado LLC only has one member and it's not SM. Colorado is also not a community property state.
His college degree had to do with horticulture so perhaps that is just his interest? I own a small LLC with a sibling. We own the property and the small company operated there. My sibling actually primarily runs it and collects a salary and we split profits 75/25 after expenses, but I own 50 percent of the land/buildings. My husbands name is not on it and it isn’t because I am trying to keep anything from him. Also we were advised to keep certain things separate to protect from lawsuits and our assets are not huge
by any stretch.
Maybe there is deeper meaning but maybe not.
I hope this beautiful woman is found safe.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/13/colorado-woman-missing-after-going-on-mothers-day-bike-ride/

May 13, 2020

A Colorado woman went for a bike ride on Mother’s Day, and hasn’t been seen since, authorities said.

Suzanne Morphew, a 49-year-old married mother of two, was reported missing Sunday by a neighbor after she did not return from a bike ride near County Road 225 and West Highway 50 in Chaffee County, sheriff officials announced Monday.

A search for Morphew, of Maysville, involving more than 100 law enforcement officials — including some with tracking dogs — “began immediately,” but no sign of the woman was found.

She remained missing as of early Wednesday, Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze told The Post.

Spezze declined to comment on whether Morphew’s husband is cooperating with authorities in the search for the woman or whether investigators believe foul play was involved.

“This is an open criminal investigation,” Spezze said during a brief interview.
"Spezze declined to comment on whether Morphew’s husband is cooperating with authorities..."

Crumbs!!!!!

Questions I have:
  • When was the last verified independent sighting of SM?
  • Where was her husband last weekend?
  • What's her current marital status, i.e, married, separated, living together or separately, etc.?
  • Was SM's cell phone found at the home or not?
"A friend" and I were talking about this case yesterday.

We, too, noted the substantial cost increase b/t the last home in IN and the CO house.

As another poster noted, that can often be an indication of a party receiving an inheritance.
Another possibility would be increased income d/t job promotion or career advancement.
There may also have been some lucrative stock market investments.

Or, it could be a case of people's eyes being bigger than their wallets.
Any time there's a whiff of money around a case, I get concerned.
"For the love of money is the root of all evil."

The charitable foundation is also a bit eyebrow-raising, for various reasons, not the least of which is the relatively small income listed on the foundation's filed tax returns, and by relatively small, I mean 4 figures.

Taken individually, the facts surrounding SM's disappearance don't in and of themselves signal foul play.

Taken collectively, the facts are extremely concerning.

I'm seeing red flags littered all over the field on this one.

JMO.
Yeah, what she said!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members