Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woman goes missing after going on bike ride in Chaffee County

May 12, 2020

IMG_0339.jpg

[..]

Deputies say they spoke with a neighbor who said 49-year-old Suzanne Morphew had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the Maysville area and didn’t return home.

Sheriff personnel called members of Chaffee County Search and Rescue South and North and a search began immediately.

The Department of Corrections was contacted and a request was made for tracking dogs to assist. They responded and joined the search.

The search continued into the early morning hours with no results.

The search resumed on Monday, May 11 with Search and Rescue. They once again scoured the area. Members were then called from the Chaffee County Tac Team along with search parties from the Department of Corrections and the area was once again scoured.

In all, more than 100 personnel were used during the search.

However, by Tuesday evening, Morphew had still not been found. [..]

Friends say a $100,000 reward is being offered for Morphew’s safe return, no questions asked.

I also noticed on the sheriffs press release that they have Crime Stoppers listed as a contact. Is that typical to list Crime Stoppers with a missing adult who possibly met with an accident or became lost?

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office

I don't find naming Crimestoppers unusual here. This is a small community and given that there's already a reward posted, CS is well versed in these situations and it's possible they are acting as administers and also accepting any anonymous tips. MOO

OT but an example of another recent post by Chaffee County Sheriff's Office and their partnering with Crime Stoppers.

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office
May 1 at 4:25 PM ·
********CRIME STOPPERS******

Between the dates of April 28, 2020 and April 30, 2020 an unknown person(s) shot what is believed to be a large caliber rifle round through the windshield of a John Deere haul truck that is operated by the Chaffee County Landfill. The truck was parked on the landfill property and was visible from the shooting benches at the long rifle range at the public shooting range adjacent to the landfill. The initial estimate of damage to the vehicle was $55,000.00. Anyone with information on this case is asked to contact the Chaffee County Crimestoppers at 719-539-5299 or the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office at 719-539-2596. Chaffee County Crime Stoppers will pay a cash reward of up to $1000.00 for any information leading to an arrest of the person or persons responsible for this crime. You can remain anonymous

So they recently bought a 1.7 million dollar house after selling their previous house for $750K. That's a big upgrade! I wonder how they have that much money when the husband is a firefighter and SM + husband own a nonprofit that doesn't appear to bring much wealth. Perhaps some helpful info could be gleaned looking into financials. Maybe someone thought they were a lot wealthier than they actually are and it's a kidnap/ransom situation?? Someone who knew she would be alone that weekend (and yes, it's very strange she was alone on Mother's Day weekend)? ETA: The fact that a reward has been offered with "no questions asked" makes me think they have reason to believe foul play is involved rather than an accident...
I wonder if an equally large mortgage is recorded for that property? Will check this out

I find it very odd for all three family members to be traveling given the shutdowns/advisories and particularly on Mother’s Day. High schools and colleges were closed. I do not see any interviews or pleas from the husband/father or kids yet despite the reward already being offered - have there been any? Maybe soon.

I am very concerned that there is no need for volunteers now. IMO
All three were traveling on Mother’s Day?

I stand corrected, not sure when they moved to CO. The house was purchased 4/2018, house in IN was sold in 2019. I think this is right, someone may correct me later :)

I too noticed the jump in value of home. I have two friends with middle class incomes who did this when a parent died and they "came into some money." But definitely interesting.
I wonder if an equally large mortgage is recorded for that property? Will check this out
This might answer some questions - good idea oviedo!

I just realized, Suzanne had only been in Colorado for a year. Look for the post with the home for sale on her page.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1141246651

Much to be found on the facebook and comments - I'll try and stay within TOS. First, I am struck by how amazing she looks and how close she seems to her daughters. All so happy and healthy. People missing her and asking where she is "headed" so pretty clear she moved. Also mention of "treatment" about 10 months ago.

I wonder if they have security cameras from those homes that show her riding off on her bike to begin with? I also find the reward $ being offered so fast odd. IMO.
I took a google "walk" around that neighborhood. I would be surprised if nearly all the houses there don't have a "ring doorbell" or security cameras. New and high end estate type houses - but very far apart. I am wondering if a security system "caught" something (car following, etc.). I am hoping LE is doing what they did with Mollie Tibbets - basically recreating her route and then able to notice a car. That was amazing police work.

I look forward to hearing directly from the family/husband.

ETA - do we know for sure that left on her bike or did she put it on the back of her car?

Last edited:
I wonder if they have security cameras from those homes that show her riding off on her bike to begin with? I also find the reward $ being offered so fast odd. IMO.
Google says the map data is from 2020, but I'm not a map expert. I count only 3-4 homes on acreage and a RV park, which are near her home. LE was searching the Monarch Pass area yesterday. Due to the limited info from LE we have no idea which path she took. If she headed towards Monarch, she could have went Hwy 225 or it looks like the Colorado trail heads that way past Foose Lake.
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

LE is not even releasing a description of her bike, that is odd. I know they don't want search volunteer's but what about people in the area who may come across her bike?
Someone provided a link yesterday to webcams, one of which is not far from her home. In the brief period I watched, there were a lot of people on the river! So I assume the trails may be equally busy. Wouldn't you want folks to be on the lookout?

Last edited:
I have checked all the news outlets and there is literally no further information. No details of what she was wearing, what her bike looks like, no interviews with family members. . .nothing. Not sure why this one is hitting me so hard, but I really feel for this lady. I'm not sure what the site rules are about family members and social media, but her daughters were fairly active on Instagram until about 5 days ago (one of the two), then nothing. I'm very surprised there doesn't seem to be any social media cries for help from them. No judgement, as I'm not sure I'd be able to function, but I would hope that others my circle would be getting the word out.

I have checked all the news outlets and there is literally no further information. No details of what she was wearing, what her bike looks like, no interviews with family members. . .nothing. Not sure why this one is hitting me so hard, but I really feel for this lady. I'm not sure what the site rules are about family members and social media, but her daughters were fairly active on Instagram until about 5 days ago (one of the two), then nothing. I'm very surprised there doesn't seem to be any social media cries for help from them. No judgement, as I'm not sure I'd be able to function, but I would hope that others my circle would be getting the word out.
Couldn’t agree more. And the 100,000 reward so fast, but with no info being given. It is very strange. IMO

I have the same questions about this case. Where is the media? I thought for sure there would be pictures of the search, calls for volunteers, descriptions or photos of her bike. There’s nothing in the news!

This one raises so many red flags for me. No messages from husband or children. Only a neighbor that saw her leave on her bike. They recently bought a house almost a million dollars more than their last home. No picture of the husband on Facebook since 2017 but lots of pictures of her two daughters. Why are they not speaking out. There's almost ZERO media attention on this case. IMO there's stuff going on here they are not releasing.

This one raises so many red flags for me. No messages from husband or children. Only a neighbor that saw her leave on her bike. They recently bought a house almost a million dollars more than their last home. No picture of the husband on Facebook since 2017 but lots of pictures of her two daughters. Why are they not speaking out. There's almost ZERO media attention on this case. IMO there's stuff going on here they are not releasing.

Abduction or maybe they suspect self-harm. I hate to bring SH up, as I have no idea if that is a possibility, but it would make sense in some of what we are NOT seeing. I want to temper that thought with this- all the comments from those who know the family have been positive. Not one negative thing has been said about Suzanne, her marriage or family. Hope I'm way off base.

Agree with others here who find this case perplexing. One of the first questions I have is “was she mountain biking or road biking?” The answer to that question can really help in starting to figure out where to look because we would know to look on mountain trails vs the road. Huge difference in the possibilities of what could have happened.

And no description of a bike to look out for? Why not??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peachstatesleuth