Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in a different part of Colorado... but drove Monarch pass once after going rafting on the Arkansas. It was several years ago and probably at about the same time of the year as now (rafting season)... It was later in day and there were few people driving it. But that might not be the norm... Higher up there is still snow and it can still snow into June... i am at around 7500 feet and we got to 74 today...

I'm trying not to read more into this than actually exists, but if Suzanne is simply lost or had an accident they are oddly tight lipped. Maybe that is typical for this local LE department? What you pointed out is weird.

@Lore Listener you're local to this case? Is the Monarch Pass area full of people this time of year? How are the road/trails in the area?
I'm not very local, I'm in Denver, about 2.5-3 hours drive away. But the spot that Suzanne went missing is right on the route between Denver and our favorite ski town and also the town where my partner went to college for a while. So I've driven through dozens and dozens of time over the years.

Local travel (greater than 10 miles) for outdoor recreation was just opened up by the Governor on Friday after 2 months of restrictions, and nice Spring weather has finally started to kick in, so my guess is the lower elevation trails probably were dry and had quite a few folks out hiking and biking to break the cabin fever. The road will be clear this time of year. Not sure the number of travelers, but Gunnison county (right next to Chaffee) was closed to tourists. Hopefully there's a real local here who has a better idea.

More than 100 help search for missing woman in Chaffee County

In all over 100 personnel were used during the search.

The search continued Tuesday with only dogs. Sheriff John Spezze said there is no need for volunteers. Sheriff Spezze would not comment on whether or not Morphew bike was recovered. By late afternoon Tuesday, Morphew had not been found.

I just realized, Suzanne had only been in Colorado for a year. Look for the post with the home for sale on her page.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1141246651
Not too many pictures on her FB but the last picture of her husband was on 4/19/2017. I’m assuming it’s her husband. There are 5 more recent pics, with her and her daughters. I’m not insinuating anything. I just found it interesting. MOO

There are certainly some oddities in this case:
1) A neighbor notices that SM doesn’t come back from her bike ride. It sounds like the neighbor knew SM left sometime that Sunday for the ride but didn’t see SM come back. I don’t suspect the neighbor but I’m curious about this.
2) The husband has to be out of town for work on a Sunday, Mother’s Day.
3) Her two children were not home apparently.
4) A $100k reward for as posted very quickly.
5) Searches are conducted but LE is not asking for volunteers.

There are certainly some oddities in this case:
1) A neighbor notices that SM doesn’t come back from her bike ride. It sounds like the neighbor knew SM left sometime that Sunday for the ride but didn’t see SM come back. I don’t suspect the neighbor but I’m curious about this.
2) The husband has to be out of town for work on a Sunday, Mother’s Day.
3) Her two children were not home apparently.
4) A $100k reward for as posted very quickly.
5) Searches are conducted but LE is not asking for volunteers.
I agree with all your points. I don’t think I’ve seen a reward that size for someone missing for 2 days. Something tells me a lot is being held back. MOO

So they recently bought a 1.7 million dollar house after selling their previous house for $750K. That's a big upgrade! I wonder how they have that much money when the husband is a firefighter and SM + husband own a nonprofit that doesn't appear to bring much wealth. Perhaps some helpful info could be gleaned looking into financials. Maybe someone thought they were a lot wealthier than they actually are and it's a kidnap/ransom situation?? Someone who knew she would be alone that weekend (and yes, it's very strange she was alone on Mother's Day weekend)? ETA: The fact that a reward has been offered with "no questions asked" makes me think they have reason to believe foul play is involved rather than an accident...

Last edited:
Just a thought on her kids’ ages - but they could be old enough to have homes/careers in other cities and kept away by COVID. We’re still shelter in place here, but some businesses in my area get to open again Friday.

I find it very odd for all three family members to be traveling given the shutdowns/advisories and particularly on Mother’s Day. High schools and colleges were closed. I do not see any interviews or pleas from the husband/father or kids yet despite the reward already being offered - have there been any? Maybe soon.

I am very concerned that there is no need for volunteers now. IMO

I also noticed on the sheriffs press release that they have Crime Stoppers listed as a contact. Is that typical to list Crime Stoppers with a missing adult who possibly met with an accident or became lost?

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office
I don't find naming Crimestoppers unusual here. This is a small community and given that there's already a reward posted, CS is well versed in these situations and it's possible they are acting as administers and also accepting any anonymous tips. MOO

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office
May 11 at 8:15 PM ·
CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

Salida, Colorado

PRESS RELEASE

May 11, 2020

On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home.

Sheriff personnel called members of Chaffee County Search and Rescue South and North and a search began immediately. The Department of Corrections was contacted and a request was made for tracking dogs to assist. They responded and joined the search. The search continued into the early morning hours with no results.

The search resumed in the early morning hours of May 11 with Search and Rescue. They once again scoured the area. Members were then called from the Chaffee County Tac Team along with search parties from the Department of Corrections and the area was once again scoured.

In all over 100 personnel were used during the search, however by late afternoon on May 11 Ms Morphew had not been found.

This will be an ongoing investigation into this matter and the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office asks that any person or persons who may have information please call the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office at 719-539-2596 or Chaffee County Crime Stoppers at 719-539-2599.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze 719-207-3199*****

Is there a description of SM's bike?

Did she usually ride on the road? The bike trail?

I'm told the trail system isn't huge but definitely gnarly in spots and it would be difficult to locate her if she fell off a cliff. Waiting on a trail map.

Search continues for woman missing since Sunday

May 12, 2020

Suzanne Morphew's neighbors called the county sheriff's office after she didn't come home. Morphew had gone for a bike ride near her neighborhood in the area of Chaffee County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Law enforcement began their search Sunday, assisted by tracking dogs from the Department of Corrections. The search came up empty and resumed early Monday morning with the same results.

The sheriff's office says this remains an active investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office at 719-539-2596 or Chaffee County Crime Stoppers at 719-539-2599.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peachstatesleuth