CO - Tim Watkins, 61, shot to death, Mount Herman, 14 Sept 2017 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad that's resolved. Will sentencing be today also or is that at a separate hearing?

That's correct, only ballistic reports is not sufficient to base a conviction upon. Even if it was a possible metch, the State would still have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused was the actual person who fired the gun.

If DNA evidence connected DN directly to TMs body, highly likely charges would've been filed immediately.

JMO

If there was a ballistics match, the N’s would be hard pressed to explain how a weapon in their sole possession was used in a murder. So, it’d be damning evidence in a trial. Ballistics testing can be completed in less than a day. DNA testing, when prioritized, can be completed in two days. (I’ve posted links before to support these claims.) At this point, nothing from LE indicates DN will be charged with homicide in CO (or IN, for that matter).

Blurbs:

Twitter › @lancebenzel
Nations, 32, also pleaded guilty to weapons violation. Had .22 rifle despite felony conviction. @csgazette 4 mins ago

Daniel J. Nations pleads guilty in hatchet threat on Mr. Herman. Officials show no sign of tying him to more serious cri… 7 mins ago

BREAKING: Daniel J. Nations is expected to plead guilty today in threats on Mt. Herman near Monument. No s… 1 hour ago

Judge is about to announce sentence

[FONT=&quot]https://twitter.com/lancebenzel/status/949345060016934913

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]More

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Nations gets 3 years on supervised probation, with 2-year suspended prison sentence if he violates conditions. @csgazette
[/FONT]

If there was a ballistics match, the N’s would be hard pressed to explain how a weapon in their sole possession was used in a murder. So, it’d be damning evidence in a trial. Ballistics testing can be completed in less than a day. DNA testing, when prioritized, can be completed in two days. (I’ve posted links before to support these claims.) At this point, nothing from LE indicates DN will be charged with homicide in CO (or IN, for that matter).

I agree, all the reasons why DN is not yet charged with murder in any of the three deaths is based on broad speculation, which for no valid reason appears for some is adequate to have determined his guilt. When the cases are eventually solved, it shouldn't matter who's responsible as long as what's revealed is the truth.

I have had a think about these delayed plea bargaining tactics seemingly being done by the prosecution. If they are still awaiting ballistic and forensic results, the delay will be of benefit. I have not seen any appeals for tips recently has anyone else? So I am thinking the delay can only benefit the murder investigation .

:cow:

http://www.koaa.com/story/36415229/...e-than-150-tips-related-to-mt-herman-homicide

This link dated before DN was arrested, states they received 150 tips at that time. If anyone sees requests for tips later than this that haven't already been posted, please link if you can

This article states the goal is 120 days turnaround for all disciplines of forensic testing.
https://www.denverpost.com/2016/05/...-crime-lab-will-make-analysis-more-efficient/
Colorado Springs has their own lab. I cannot find anything to note the turnaround except the examiner says she has a heavy caseload and minimal staff.
https://m.facebook.com/notes/colora...ie-watkins-during-national-/1142069892476871/
This article is from 2010 and averages all 50 states. Says firearms average is 136 days and it may be out of date but I don't think it has gotten significantly faster.
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2010/rpt/2010-R-0086.htm
I noticed in looking over several articles that in many cases firearms is the slowest. But I am sure that can't be said for all jurisdictions. Probably is very subjective to the caseload at the time. Also if they have a suspect it is actually slower, meaning they don't have to give it the same priority as they do when they are desperate to get someone off the street.
It leads me to think that once they have their guy locked up they may take well over 90 days to perform ballistics testing. And this back and forth to consider plea negotiations is just a dance to kill time until the ballistics testing can be completed. JMO.

Just bumping for reconsideration.

My view is if results were back, we would have heard something one way or another.
:cow:

[FONT=&amp]Although judge released his bond, Nations has an active warrant out of Clear Creek County, making it unclear when he will be released.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]https://twitter.com/lancebenzel/status/949346682944176128[/FONT]

I agree, all the reasons why DN is not yet charged with murder in any of the three deaths is based on broad speculation, which for no valid reason appears for some is adequate to have determined his guilt. When the cases are eventually solved, it shouldn't matter who's responsible as long as what's revealed is the truth.
I agree. I don’t understand the obsession with DN.

Anyone else surprised at the (IMO) very lenient sentence?

I'm sure the parents of the children who were chased aren't happy.

So who killed Tim? Is LE going to make any sort of announcement, or just let the people of Palmer Lake and Monument sit in fear and uncertainty?

Would love to hear from those who he actually threatened. I bet they do not agree with the sentence.

Would love to hear from those who he actually threatened. I bet they do not agree with the sentence.

I expected at least some prison or jail time because of the possession of the rifle by a felon.

[FONT=&quot]Lance Benzel‏ @lancebenzel 2m2 minutes agoMore

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Defense attorney says warrant is for missing a court hearing because he was jailed on these charges.
[/FONT]
So he's out on these charges but now goes to Clear Creek to be jailed. I'm amazed he only got probation for menacing with the hatchet? :confused:
Seems too lenient IMO.
Unless they know something we don't?

So he's out on these charges but now goes to Clear Creek to be jailed. I'm amazed he only got probation for menacing with the hatchet? :confused:
Seems too lenient IMO.

Probation for the menacing AND the weapons violation...

I'm sure the parents of the children who were chased aren't happy.

So who killed Tim?
Is LE going to make any sort of announcement, or just let the people of Palmer Lake and Monument sit in fear and uncertainty?

BBM

I hope LE knows but it doesn't look promising...

moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members