CO - Tim Watkins, 61, shot to death, Mount Herman, 14 Sept 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he has any disability benefits. I watched him walk in court video and cannot detect a limp so it may be something they notice but no one else would. His former employer and KN said he worked construction which I believe. That's not something a disabled person does. As a vet he may be able to take a bus and maybe he does that some. But it is also not uncommon for construction workers to be picked up by a crew member and ride to a job site and dropped back off. He also slept in a friends car so maybe he got rides from him as well.
I do think KN got benefits, food stamps, etc. I don't know if she was able to get a bus pass for him, possibly. And he used her car quite a bit. I think she may have even been getting IN benefits while they were in CO and that is how they occasionally stayed in a motel. She could have been on Unemployment and I am sure she knows how to file every week like she is in IN.

Well, well, well. Didn't KN say he had a noticeable limp that wouldn't have been missed by witnesses? Perhaps another misleading statement from KN. No surprises there!

Yes, construction. He framed houses.
"Hamilton recalled that Nations was working for a Zionsville construction company north of Indianapolis and framed houses in that area.

"He'd be working up in that area," Hamilton said, speculating on the news accounts that police wanted to talk with Nations about the Delphi killings. "It's just a hop, skip and jump to Delphi."

https://amp.jconline.com/amp/717253001
Framers and roofers also have good reason to have a hatchet. It is a primary tool carried in their toolbelt along side a hammer.

FYI Daey, I read your post today of when you called the tipline for Delphi with the arrest information on DN in CO! Astounding response! My guess is that your interest in DN for A&L is primarily based on that response. It is compelling! And thank you for taking the extra steps to make sure he went on the radar. My feelings have been that 26,000 tips has actually hindered the investigation and that it would be easy for the right tip to not get the right eyes on it.

This case is consuming. I cannot imagine how the families feel. Your comment is so sweet, and I needed it.
If it's not DN, I'll still be here.

Happy New Year and thank you.
Hopefully this is solved soon. Regardless, your comments mean everything.

Framers and roofers also have good reason to have a hatchet. It is a primary tool carried in their toolbelt along side a hammer.

FYI Daey, I read your post today of when you called the tipline for Delphi with the arrest information on DN in CO! Astounding response! My guess is that your interest in DN for A&L is primarily based on that response. It is compelling! And thank you for taking the extra steps to make sure he went on the radar. My feelings have been that 26,000 tips has actually hindered the investigation and that it would be easy for the right tip to not get the right eyes on it.

Interesting thoughts. Could they charge him for murder and keep it sealed? So, we might not know?
Is it legal to grow to sell (as an individual)In CO? If not, I would think they would charge him if they could prove it was him harvesting to sell.
Also, when KN has said that he smoked a lot of THC, I think he did a lot more than just that! jmo
Do they have to bring evidence for murder before a grand jury prior to charging someone? And if so there would be a schedule. But all would be pending the ballistics and possibly hatchet forensics which may still be several days or weeks out.
But while it wouldn't show up in a court record, the prosecution negotiating with his attorney could easily involve murder charges pending the ballistics.

Anything is possible. I have some experience in that area, as a medical grower. And let me tell you...the plants don't want to grow around here.

It would be hard to hide more than one plant. They get to be 6 feet or higher at times. Even at 3' they are bright green. They let off an aroma for a few hundred yards. One plant wouldn't yield you much in the ways of making a living off it. But you could use it personally.

There's also a dispensary less than 2 miles away with awesome prices.

If it weren't DN, who has pulled a lot of ridiculous things; I'd say growing a viable plant in that area is literally too ridiculous. But I see what you mean. He had no income, so who knows what he might try.

If he had planted in May or June? could he have found a workable piece of soil in the area, well off the trail? And that he might still be tending prior to harvest?

The custody case was heard today and is no longer on calendar. There is no new date on the court calendar in the next 6 months so I don't think it was continued. I think a decision was made today. Does anybody know what happened?

The custody case was heard today and is no longer on calendar. There is no new date on the court calendar in the next 6 months so I don't think it was continued. I think a decision was made today. Does anybody know what happened?

Good morning kkdj. I just checked the dockets to see if they've been updated, and like you said, JV case taken off docket and nothing new for it posted. So I'm concluding as well that a final decision was made at yesterday's hearing. There's nothing in news about it yet, but I guess I didn't really expect there to be anything. My hope would be that the decision was best for the little ones and their future.

It will be interesting so see what develops from DN's hearings today.

Good morning kkdj. I just checked the dockets to see if they've been updated, and like you said, JV case taken off docket and nothing new for it posted. So I'm concluding as well that a final decision was made at yesterday's hearing. There's nothing in news about it yet, but I guess I didn't really expect there to be anything. My hope would be that the decision was best for the little ones and their future.

It will be interesting so see what develops from DN's hearings today.

Good morning!
I really hope the decision was made in the children's best interest too. i have to comment, I feel so sorry for these children, and then having their pictures posted publicly on social media in such a public case just seemed so wrong to me! I hope the judge took the ongoing neglect by the natural parent(s) into consideration.

I think today will be another continuance. That might be ok actually. I think the prosecutor should play hardball with this guy in his plea bargaining. He seems to be missing some pistons and I sure as heck wouldn't want him living anywhere around me!

Do they have to bring evidence for murder before a grand jury prior to charging someone? And if so there would be a schedule. But all would be pending the ballistics and possibly hatchet forensics which may still be several days or weeks out.
But while it wouldn't show up in a court record, the prosecution negotiating with his attorney could easily involve murder charges pending the ballistics.

BBM

In your scenario, what if the pending ballistic examination does not provide conclusive evidence? What if the ballistic reports indicates the gun that DN had access to was not the same that shot TW? That's one reason plea deals only involve charges that've already been filed.

BBM

In your scenario, what if the pending ballistic examination does not provide conclusive evidence? What if the ballistic reports indicates the gun that DN had access to was not the same that shot TW? That's one reason plea deals only involve charges that've already been filed.

That's what I think too. The court can only address the charges presented.

And.....here we go! It's after 10:00 in CO!

BBM

I was just saying that it is possible that the grand jury may consider the evidence in the murder charge while they hold him on the lower charges and we wouldn't know anything about it but the prosecutor would know. Knowing the strength or weakness of the case before the gj might influence their plea deal on the lower charges.

BBM

As I understand, it is not always possible to get a ballistics match depending on various factors regarding the path of the bullet, whether it fragmented or flattened etc. They will also be looking at all other evidence. Motive, opportunity, alibi, forensics, etc. LE seized all their belongings and the car. One speck of TW's blood on those items or a fingerprint or DNA on TW, his bike, shoe or Safeway card certainly could be enough IMO. Also, they do not seem to be actively looking for anyone else ATM.

http://usmclife.com/2017/10/new-veteran-affairs-id-cards-wont-go-vets-bad-paper-discharge/

As we are talking about benefits for vets and homeless this is a new id card for vets but not for those with a less than honourable discharge.

I was unable to download the link (prob on my end). Did website include an image of a Vet ID card? Is it a Photo ID card?

If so, I assume Vets w/out a driver's license might use this card when legal identification is required. I wonder if people who want to avoid giving their real name to LE ever present them with somebody else's ID Card which they've stolen (and perhaps altered) thus giving a "false ID." moo

I was just saying that it is possible that the grand jury may consider the evidence in the murder charge while they hold him on the lower charges and we wouldn't know anything about it but the prosecutor would know. Knowing the strength or weakness of the case before the gj might influence their plea deal on the lower charges.

A plea deal involves only charges that have already been filed. Not a backwards situation where someone agreed to plea guilty on the promise of lesser charges to be laid in the future.

"The plea bargain (also plea agreement, plea deal, copping a plea, or plea in mitigation) is any agreement in a criminal case between the prosecutor and defendant whereby the defendant agrees to plead guilty to a particular charge in return for some concession from the prosecutor. This may mean that the defendant will plead guilty to a less serious charge, or to one of the several charges, in return for the dismissal of other charges; or it may mean that the defendant will plead guilty to the original criminal charge in return for a more lenient sentence.[1]"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plea_bargain

As I understand, it is not always possible to get a ballistics match depending on various factors regarding the path of the bullet, whether it fragmented or flattened etc. They will also be looking at all other evidence. Motive, opportunity, alibi, forensics, etc. LE seized all their belongings and the car. One speck of TW's blood on those items or a fingerprint or DNA on TW, his bike, shoe or Safeway card certainly could be enough IMO. Also, they do not seem to be actively looking for anyone else ATM.

That's correct, only ballistic reports is not sufficient to base a conviction upon. Even if it was a possible metch, the State would still have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused was the actual person who fired the gun.

If DNA evidence connected DN directly to TMs body, highly likely charges would've been filed immediately.

JMO

I was unable to download the link (prob on my end). Did website include an image of a Vet ID card? Is it a Photo ID card?

If so, I assume Vets w/out a driver's license might use this card when legal identification is required. I wonder if people who want to avoid giving their real name to LE ever present them with somebody else's ID Card which they've stolen (and perhaps altered) thus giving a "false ID." moo

The article states they will provide a free hard copy id card which includes name, photo and an identification number, so yes it does include a photo.

Per twitter/Gazette via Lance Benzel, he is pleading guilty today. No sign of additional charges, per Gazette.

That's correct, only ballistic reports is not sufficient to base a conviction upon. Even if it was a possible metch, the State would still have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused was the actual person who fired the gun.

If DNA evidence connected DN directly to TMs body, highly likely charges would've been filed immediately.

JMO
We have alteady discussed how long ballistics takes to come back so dna/forensics would be a similar lengthy wait IMO. The prosecution may even be in a stronger position to bluff while awaiting the results. Eg. "It will not look good for you if this all comes back positive- just tell us what happened"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
verydemureverycute