CO - Tim Watkins, 61, shot to death, Mount Herman, 14 Sept 2017 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think you misread the link I posted. And no, bounty hunters seek criminals when there is a reward offered for their capture.
But they cross state lines to capture them right? They don't extradite do they? I'll find the original link with the bit in it I am talking about. I may have misunderstood it.

https://banksbrower.com/2014/10/05/a-look-at-how-criminal-extradition-works-in-indiana/

The bit I am querying is at the end where a detective is quoted as saying (paraphrase) "we will just wait for them to be released and arrest them on an open warrant".

That would be after an extradition hearing was held and the extradition was granted. But prior to that the State must decide if they want to extradite and in the link up above it mentions extradition is uncommon and typically occurs only in serious crimes.

Think about it - why would any state want to retrieve a sexual offender for misdemeanours and failure to report, who is currently on probation for crimes committed in another state? In addition DN was added to the sexual offender registery list in 2007 by a different state, South Carolina iirc. Indiana is probably shedding no tears he's gone and unlikely to return considering the outstanding warrants.

If LE intended to charge DN for the Delphi murders they knew exactly where he was for the past three months. No need to create roundabout scenarios. JMO

https://banksbrower.com/2014/10/05/a-look-at-how-criminal-extradition-works-in-indiana/

The bit I am querying is at the end where a detective is quoted as saying (paraphrase) "we will just wait for them to be released and arrest them on an open warrant".
I think that bit about detectives waiting and rearresting is what they are describing can happen in the new state on behalf of the host state. I take it to mean the new state doesn't want criminals walking around with open warrants from other states especially serious enough that the other state wants to extradite. So it is a way to keep someone in custody so that they cannot flee to Mexico or wherever but give up and accept the extradition. I think it would be pretty normal to expect if this person thought they could flee from the law the first time now that they were found they will flee again.

That would be after an extradition hearing was held and the extradition was granted. But prior to that the State must decide if they want to extradite and in the link up above it mentions extradition is uncommon and typically occurs only in serious crimes.

Think about it - why would any state want to retrieve a sexual offender for misdemeanours and failure to report, who is currently on probation for crimes committed in another state? In addition DN was added to the sexual offender registery list in 2007 by a different state, South Carolina iirc. Indiana is probably shedding no tears he's gone and unlikely to return considering the outstanding warrants.

If LE intended to charge DN for the Delphi murders they knew exactly where he was for the past three months. No need to create roundabout scenarios. JMO
So what are the probable cause documents and the Notice of Discovery Compliance produced by the Sex Crimes JoCo prosecuting attorney about in your opinion?

I think, they're just using file photos.

Just to reiterate.... those elephant ears on his neck look nothing like BG's ears on his jaw..

No offense to elephants, JMO.

View attachment 128690

Maybe I have become too sensitized to DN's hardships, but it makes me sad to hear his appearance made fun of. (Though I do realize you are pointing out a difference in appearances.) Still, whether this POI is BG or not, I find myself feeling sorry for him. And I am not usually such a softie! (But maybe I am.) He deserves a bit of dignity, too, however, IMO.

So what are the probable cause documents and the Notice of Discovery Compliance produced by the Sex Crimes JoCo prosecuting attorney about in your opinion?

My wild guess, the Notice of Discovery Compliance documents the decision not to file for extradition over failure to register. Given the date was Dec 13th and then the Co Prosecutor publicly made the announcement a plea deal was in the making on Dec 15th, the timing suggests the plea deal was offered, based on that knowledge.

I have to agree with Misty on this.

In my reading yesterday on extradition, I did come away with the idea that it is not very common and is used for more heinous crimes than DN currently has on the table anywhere. Also said a high ranking executive officer (I don't remember the exact wording, sorry) which is almost always the Governor has to sign the paperwork. I just don't see that happening for his current low ranking crimes. So it would seem if they DO attempt to extradite, it would be for something much more serious than any current charges he has pending MOO MOO MOO

I didn't save any links but for those interested, I got the best results from Googling "extradition process"

But they cross state lines to capture them right? They don't extradite do they? I'll find the original link with the bit in it I am talking about. I may have misunderstood it.

Bounty hunters would have absolutely no reason to seek out DN.

"What is a Bounty Hunter?
What is a bounty hunter? A bounty hunter, in simple terms, is a skilled professional who is hired by a bail bondsman to find and capture a fugitive in exchange for a monetary reward. The bounty hunter’s reward, which is considered the “bounty,” is typically a percentage of the bail. If a fugitive’s bail is $10,000, a bail bondsman may offer the bounty hunter between 10 and 20 percent of the bail amount, or $1,000 to $2,000, if the fugitive is successfully captured and brought to justice.....

Gone are the posters of the most wanted, where the words “dead or alive” and “reward offered” were all that was needed to entice the man next door to embark on a hunt in hopes of securing a bounty on a fugitive’s head. Even as late as the early 20th century, a number of intrepid (and perhaps reckless) individuals chased down fugitives in hopes of reaping large rewards."

https://www.bountyhunteredu.org/what-is-a-bounty-hunter/

I have to agree with Misty on this.

In my reading yesterday on extradition, I did come away with the idea that it is not very common and is used for more heinous crimes than DN currently has on the table anywhere. Also said a high ranking executive officer (I don't remember the exact wording, sorry) which is almost always the Governor has to sign the paperwork. I just don't see that happening for his current low ranking crimes. So it would seem if they DO attempt to extradite, it would be for something much more serious than any current charges he has pending MOO MOO MOO

I didn't save any links but for those interested, I got the best results from Googling "extradition process"

Another indication is DNs failure to register wasn't a high priority even when he first went mia in Indiana considering a warrant for failure to register wasn't immediately issued by JoCo to alert other counties within Indiana, if he happened to cross paths with any LE within the state.

Then MSM got wind of his Colorado arrest late September and only then JoCo file the warrant which really only offers an 11th hour appearance of due diligence.

The plea deal, no extradition filed says to me DN is just another typical low level criminal who perpetually bounces in and out of jail at a great cost to society, with no simple solution available to end the cycle.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lancebenzel/status/908434366098837504?p=v

This is a link to Lance Benzel's tweet at 1.56 p.m on the 14th Sept regarding MS, the guy who killed DN's brother. This tweet mentions he got 16 years. Now I believe TW left his home for the bike ride at 10 p.m. and the Mt Herman road uphill is usually done first with the loop through and back down Limbaugh. So
1. How long does that stretch from Palmer Lake/Monument up to the top of MT Herman usually take?

2. Is there an estimated TOD for TW?

3. What time would he be expected to return from that loop?

It is also likely someone notified DN about the sentence prior to that time of LB's tweet so he could well have flown into a rage and TW just happened to be in his path that day.

The coincidence of this and the acknowledged similarities of the murders are all we have ATM.

Here you go Foxbluff. I would have thought he would look a little happier if he was being set free. Maybe there's a reason he's not smiling!!!!

Thanks so much Area!

To me, he appears thinner, pale, tired and weary, but I suppose that's to be expected. This photo makes him look like he has very black hair, doesn't it?

https://mobile.twitter.com/lancebenzel/status/908434366098837504?p=v

This is a link to Lance Benzel's tweet at 1.56 p.m on the 14th Sept regarding MS, the guy who killed DN's brother. This tweet mentions he got 16 years. Now I believe TW left his home for the bike ride at 10 p.m. and the Mt Herman road uphill is usually done first with the loop through and back down Limbaugh. So

Finally, somebody wants to look at facts. Thank you.

I have researched this point to no avail. I looked for court records that would indicate what time the sentencing took place but have not been able to find anything. From memory the closest news report I found was 1pm on a local tv station, or around that time. It was reported on other news sources before the tweet from LB though.

Maybe someone else can find a database of court records?

My question if, did a prosecuting attorney call DN as a member of the victims family, before the sentencing actually took place? or perhaps even someone he knew close to the case, like his brothers common law wife?

1. How long does that stretch from Palmer Lake/Monument up to the top of MT Herman usually take?

That information can be found on Strava. Keep in mind he was 61yo.
I am guessing anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour from the parking lot. If TW left from his house then probably longer. Maybe an hour to an hour and a half. I'm sure someone on here can correct me if I am way off.

2. Is there an estimated TOD for TW?

I think I was told he left his house at 10 am.
I assume he was killed between 11am-12pm.

3. What time would he be expected to return from that loop?

12:30~1pm approximately ?

It is also likely someone notified DN about the sentence prior to that time of LB's tweet so he could well have flown into a rage and TW just happened to be in his path that day.

That's what I am left with also. I'm thinking he was in touch with his brothers common law wife and that she is the one who not only pointed the DN to Mt Herman for camping but also provided him updates on the case.

Finally, somebody wants to look at facts. Thank you.

I have researched this point to no avail. I looked for court records that would indicate what time the sentencing took place but have not been able to find anything. From memory the closest news report I found was 1pm on a local tv station, or around that time. It was reported on other news sources before the tweet from LB though.

Maybe someone else can find a database of court records?

My question if, did a prosecuting attorney call DN as a member of the victims family, before the sentencing actually took place? or perhaps even someone he knew close to the case, like his brothers common law wife?

That information can be found on Strava. Keep in mind he was 61yo.
I am guessing anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour from the parking lot. If TW left from his house then probably longer. Maybe an hour to an hour and a half. I'm sure someone on here can correct me if I am way off.

I think I was told he left his house at 10 am.
I assume he was killed between 11am-12pm.

12:30~1pm approximately ?

That's what I am left with also. I'm thinking he was in touch with his brothers common law wife and that she is the one who not only pointed the DN to Mt Herman for camping but also provided him updates on the case.

That was a typo in my post I put 10 pm but meant 10 a.m.

So it is likely he was killed between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Courts always break for lunch so I am guessing the sentencing came in the morning and DN heard about it and became angry. An altercation with a cyclist just made him lose it, as he had done with the menacing incidents.
I am sure LE will be able to tie the sentencing time down. MS had already put in a guilty plea and was just appearing for the sentencing that day.
:cow:

RE: what time the sentencing was, I want to say it was in the morning. Or at least the case was schedule to be heard in the morning. I don't know if I can find the link where I saw that now, I'll look for it though. I know we discussed some time back because I wondered if DN and KN were at the courthouse and he sent KN inside for the hearing, DN likely not wanting to voluntarily go inside a courthouse. But then we learned it was tweeted. Learning via tweet, they could both avoid going inside a courthouse that way. But it never occurred to me the widow could've been helping them with suggestions where to camp outside of town, text updates on the case, etc. That makes a lot of sense, too. In fact this article says she was quietly weeping in the galley and the person convicted apologized, so she was present at the hearing/sentencing: http://coloradosprings.com/colorado...th-of-friend-in-homeless-camp/article/1611188

DN Back in Jail
Offender Name: NATIONS, DANIEL JAMES
Custody Status: In Custody

Thank you, thank you Cath!

Whew...such a relief to learn that DN is In Custody. This news has put me back at the top of the rollercoaster ride. (:

Ok. Thanks Cath. Glad you're still here. That is good. He's not skiing or in Mexico or Indiana then after all.

The "In Custody" news here today is just one example of why I think @Cathdawg is needed here.

BBM - I was more worried that he might be making his way to Virginia, to the Shenandoah National Park portion of the Appalachian Trail. :blushing:

ETA: Btw, that's not where "my high bluff" in Virginia is located, but it's too close for comfort. (:

I know we discussed some time back because I wondered if DN and KN were at the courthouse and he sent KN inside for the hearing, DN likely not wanting to voluntarily go inside a courthouse.

He would have needed a legit photo ID to get in plus go through a set of metal detectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
datalord