CO - Tim Watkins, 61, shot to death, Mount Herman, 14 Sept 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
DeDee, I remember reading that the gun used to kill TW was the same kind DN had when arrested after circling the search area. a .22? Hence one of a few reason DN is on this thread. Is that correct?

I can vouche that not too long ago I posted a link to a news article that said it was the same caliber used to kill TW.

That article didnt include the exact caliber but I recall previous discussions about .22 also. So I do think the caliber was a .22 rifle he and her had in the trunk.

JMO
I think he stole it from either a car or a house. I have a feeling he would rob things to supplement their existence in Colorado since neither had a job that we know of while in Colorado.

They could have stolen it on their travels towards colorado.

I wish someone who had a .22 rifle stolen would come forward to match up to the one they had. It may uncover more evidence and maybe another gun was taken at same time.

Her story doesnt pass the sniff test about buying it to me. Being as broke as they were they would not spend money on a gun IMO. Stealing it yes. Buying it no.

I can vouche that not too long ago I posted a link to a news article that said it was the same caliber used to kill TW.

That article didnt include the exact caliber but I recall previous discussions about .22 also. So I do think the caliber was a .22 rifle he and her had in the trunk.

JMO
I think he stole it from either a car or a house. I have a feeling he would rob things to supplement their existence in Colorado since neither had a job that we know of while in Colorado.

They could have stolen it on their travels towards colorado.

I wish someone who had a .22 rifle stolen would come forward to match up to the one they had. It may uncover more evidence and maybe another gun was taken at same time.

Her story doesnt pass the sniff test about buying it to me. Being as broke as they were they would not spend money on a gun IMO. Stealing it yes. Buying it no.
I agree that it is possible it was stolen. But they had some money each month. She should have been drawing unemployment and food stamps. If she lied and said she was separated she may have had even more aid. There had to be some money coming in to keep them going. And her story was they purchasd a gun around the first of Sept for her birthday. So was that her gun and his has not been found yet?

He did have a 22 gun/revolver in IN, KN said he sold it as he was a SO!

I agree that it is possible it was stolen. But they had some money each month. She should have been drawing unemployment and food stamps. If she lied and said she was separated she may have had even more aid. There had to be some money coming in to keep them going. And her story was they purchasd a gun around the first of Sept for her birthday. So was that her gun and his has not been found yet?

I hadnt thought about any support she may have been getting for the kids. Not sure how that works when she leaves the IN state how she could still get funds sent to her. Maybe electronic deposit or something.

If DN was the killer of TW Ive always wondered if its possible there was a 2nd gun in the car. Thinking maybe a handgun was kept in the car.
The only problem with that theory is why then buy a rifle too. Which is why I wondered if they may have stolen them. If he broke into a car or house and happened to find both a handgun and a rifle then it would make more sense to me.

The gun in the trunk never made much sense to me. It doesnt do you any good in the trunk if she was using it for protection. Which does make me wonder if there was not a 2nd handgun in the front part of the car. That could explain why CO LE never could match their rifle to his killing if they did balistic testing on it.

Yes, I was not thinking clearly this morning when I posted (lack of caffeine). Somehow I had the idea KN's car was purchased last winter and would've had paper tags, but there is nothing whatsoever to indicate that as fact as I recall. Thanks for the correction! Please ignore my earlier comment about it. ;)

Except that when DN was photographed circling the search area the plates on his car were not paper plates though they were expired. I know there was more discussion of this way back in the A & L thread.

cache.php

ETA Thread 72 - https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-13-Feb-2017-72/page9&p=13707618#post13707618

if a tree falls in the woods....

too many coincidences, too may things match,

the reason we are here to talk about DN is that he was a suspect/poi in the murder of TW , then there were similarities either on the victims /injuries or within the crime scene/forensics with A&L so at that point and due to the similarities and the proximity he became the POI..

except I believe he was already a POI based on the sketch and his running off out of Indiana..

just way too many things...and way too much mystery swirling around the whole question of DN.

LE has shut down all the talk yet they are still on him and of course they have other persons of interest...that they wont name but they have to exist because they will be asked to prove they didn't railroad DN into a murder charge and that others were considered and studied at all phases of their investigation.

mark my words..if Im wrong Ill eat crow , but I know Im not wrong. MOO

I brought this up in a conversation off of WS re: the Watkins' murder, but thought I'd go ahead and share it here as well. I mentioned in another post that I think Watkins' murder was personal. I still do. I don't think it was random and I think LE, and maybe even the family, have a good idea of who did it.

A couple of years ago we had a missing person's case in my area. The guy was on the phone with his gf when there was a knock on his door and he said he had to go. Nobody saw him after that. Like Watkins, he was a well-liked guy. Biked everywhere. Kind of a hippie character. Didn't have any enemies as far as anyone knew. Wasn't into drugs. A few weeks after he went missing, his body was uncovered in the river so it became a murder case.

LE never really asked the public for information or help. The case was eerily quiet. The family was quiet about it, too. Then, suddenly, two men were getting arrested and hauled in for murder. That is when the rest of the details came forward...

Apparently, the guy had been a marijuana dealer (nobody in his life knew this) and owed money to someone. When he got that knock on the door, the gf actually recognized the guy's voice and knew exactly who it was. That little detail was kept out of the press at the time. In interviews, the gf acted like she had no idea who knocked. They kept that info quiet so that it wouldn't tip off the killers.

In addition, not only did LE know who came and knocked at his door, but the murderers apparently took the poor guy down to a vehicle and beat him to death-and someone saw it and called 911. LE got there too late. That, too, was kept from the press. So they had a name, suspects, and even a vehicle make but ALL of that was hushed. They were trying to track down the killers and didn't want to tip them off, so they were playing dumb.

Sad story all the way around. He was apparently a good guy who just trusted the wrong people. From reading the articles and sleuthing his story at the time, none of us managed to come up with the true scenario.

In the beginning, I did think that there was a possibility that DN was involved in TW's death. I no longer do. I think I was suffering from tunnel vision. Sometimes I have to step back and reevaluate.

(Here's a link to the story that I referenced. http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/crime/article82037122.html )

Interesting. I somehow missed that. So maybe it was never really sold.
Hmmmm.

I tend to not believe KN when she says he sold the gun in IN as soon as he became a felon. He's a former marine and avid hunter who doesn't respect the law. I feel he likely kept it, and traveled to CO with it. MOO

I stand to be corrected, KN said in her Youtube interview (Oct 2017?) that DN sold the gun after the domestic violence charge in IN. (Felony)(not the SO charges)! and she said she was with him when he sold it. Then she goes on to say that she was questioned by "A guy called Allen Abel", who had asked her about the gun. Well A. Abel is actually a serious Crime and SO investigator. Since I cannot post the Youtube, I think many of you know to go to the AG and MS youtube videos. Here is an older article where Mr Abel speaks. Just for refresher purposes, I will repost the link.
http://www.jconline.com/story/news/crime/2017/10/02/what-we-know-delphi-person-interest/723294001/

I stand to be corrected, KN said in her Youtube interview (Oct 2017?) that DN sold the gun after the domestic violence charge in IN. (Felony)(not the SO charges)! and she said she was with him when he sold it. Then she goes on to say that she was questioned by "A guy called Allen Abel", who had asked her about the gun. Well A. Abel is actually a serious Crime and SO investigator. Since I cannot post the Youtube, I think many of you know to go to the AG and MS youtube videos. Here is an older article where Mr Abel speaks. Just for refresher purposes, I will repost the link.
http://www.jconline.com/story/news/crime/2017/10/02/what-we-know-delphi-person-interest/723294001/

"Don Abel" according to that article. Did KN call him Allen Abel? I didn't go back to Stroup - I'd rather not LOL.

Yes, she called him"Al Abel" however did not identify him an Investigator, so ...I googled his name and found out he, in fact, is a serious crime investigator, including SO's.

Yes, she called him"Al Abel" however did not identify him an Investigator, so ...I googled his name and found out he, in fact, is a serious crime investigator, including SO's.

Indeed. He's official. He's a "sex and violent offender investigator for the Morgan County Sheriff's Office".

No biggie that she got his name wrong. At least we know she was questioned about the gun.

Yes, however, when did they question her ?

I know, I was quite curious about KN's response, DN and KN left IN in May so...when did he interview her?

Once again, perhaps I am not that puter savvy, however, I am having great difficulties sending a PM on this site. I have a wee bit of info that is hearsay, however interesting yet I can not share it. I am an old member of this site and yet when I try to PM someone I end up no where any suggestions? TIA

I hadnt thought about any support she may have been getting for the kids. Not sure how that works when she leaves the IN state how she could still get funds sent to her. Maybe electronic deposit or something.

If DN was the killer of TW Ive always wondered if its possible there was a 2nd gun in the car. Thinking maybe a handgun was kept in the car.
The only problem with that theory is why then buy a rifle too. Which is why I wondered if they may have stolen them. If he broke into a car or house and happened to find both a handgun and a rifle then it would make more sense to me.

The gun in the trunk never made much sense to me. It doesnt do you any good in the trunk if she was using it for protection. Which does make me wonder if there was not a 2nd handgun in the front part of the car. That could explain why CO LE never could match their rifle to his killing if they did balistic testing on it.
The monthly benefits go into an account and a card gets reloaded each month. To file for unemployment she would have a website to go to each week and fill out a form that she had looked for work but it can be done from anywhere. They would not know in just a few months that she no longer had an IN address.

Hopefully they weren't so stupid to keep a loaded gun where a toddler can get to it. I guess they could have kept a handgun hidden under the seat.
The little .22 they had when arrested is the kind of rifle you would teach someone to shoot with. Since they lived where people do a lot of sport shooting he might have picked it up to teach her to shoot. Or it might have been easily seen in a vehicle and he stole it. They could easily have had a 2nd gun. And even if they needed to get rid of it I doubt they would have just thrown it in a river, I bet they would have sold it even if for cheap. It seems like it would be hard to throw away someone valuable when you have so much need.

KN said it was secured in the trunk of the car? Was it? Take a look at the trunk of the car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alternative_hat_9417