Coaster kills boy at 6 Flags Over Georgia

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Teenagers are just idiots.. I am saying this having 4 of them all teens right now. (13, 14, 17,19)
teens are not the brightest bulbs in the light! I am sad for this family... BUT my guess is this teen was prone to acting like this.

"brightest bulbs in the light"?? The apple may not fall far from the lightpole :)

Tragic. There are 'rules' for a reason. Preventable and very, very, sad. I have rode this very ride a hundred times.
A later report said that the Cobb County 911 system was inundated with calls from people who saw this. How horrible in every way.

DH just reminded me that last weekend, one of our 11-yo son's friends had invited him to go with his family to Six Flags today, but I was on call all last weekend for work and we wanted some family time this weekend, so we declined for him to go. Thank the Lord....he might have seen this incident or been on the ride. I pray his friend and his family didn't witness this. :(

How tragic.

My prayers go out to the young man's family, the employees, and those who witnessed it.

We're on our way home from Disney World, and I can't even imagine how traumatic such a sight would be, or even being in the park and knowing that happened.

That poor family, and that poor boy. He should have obeyed the signs. The problem isn't that teens are dumb as much as they think they are inmortal and will live forever. They don't measure danger or think of the consecuences of their actions.

I pray for his soul and for his family to be able to find peace.Also I pray for those that witnessed this death.

He snuck in under the roller coaster and grabbed the feet of a person on the ride? Why does a 17-year-old not comprehend the basic physics of force and velocity? I feel terribly sad for the family; what an awful shock when they were all out enjoying a fun afternoon at the park.

Because a lot of teenagers in that age range, especially boys, think they're immortal and nothing can happen to them. That's one of the reasons why they do stupid things like get in a car and drive like a bat out of hell. The frontal lobes of teenager's brains will not fully develop until around the ages of 21 to 25. Unfortunately, this region of the brain controls things like recognising potential consequences of actions and resisting impulses. I'm sure this kid thought it would be an adrenalin rush and him and his friends would laugh about it later. This is such a tragedy not only for the boy and his family but the people who were on the ride.

"brightest bulbs in the light"?? The apple may not fall far from the lightpole :)
I love, and i mean love, every post I have ever read by Amraann.

But that right there is funny.

Thanks for bringing a smile to all of our faces, juvenile!:)

I love, and i mean love, every post I have ever read by Amraann.

But that right there is funny.

Thanks for bringing a smile to all of our faces, juvenile!:)

No problem, trying to make a point and have a little fun:). I just didn't like the rant of "teens are idiots", especially under the circumstances of this thread. Yes, teenagers do make bad decisions sometimes, as do adults. From what I understand, this kid just wanted to get his hat back. I feel for his friends and family and I'll bet he was a pretty good kid. I digress.

so sad. i have to agree that the employees will be grieving as well.

What an awful tragedy! And no telling how many people witnessed it. My grandchildren have gone there on band trips. I couldn't believe what was written in this report though. It says it wasn't clear whether he died at the scene or lived a while after. Does the person writing this know what decapitated means? http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,373341,00.html

On the technical side: it is all according to what kind of decapitation... sometimes internal decapitations do not quickly kill a person. As well, if it wasn't a full decapitation, he could have lingered...

This is a horrible, horrible story. And inexplicable. Also inexplicable: the contextual ads embedded on WXIA Ch. 11's website article about the accident:

http://flickr.com/photos/randomlunatic/2619606261/sizes/o/

You'd think they could write a script to get around such a thing.

Talking about in bad taste... it's almost like the adverts were put there in a mocking manner. ( I know they probably weren't, because more than likely words in the article prompted the adverts that showed up on the page. But, if they can't script around it, at the very least they could try to proof the pages before putting it online.)

May he RIP and may the Lord be with his family and anyone who witnessed this tragedy.

What an awful tragedy! And no telling how many people witnessed it. My grandchildren have gone there on band trips. I couldn't believe what was written in this report though. It says it wasn't clear whether he died at the scene or lived a while after. Does the person writing this know what decapitated means? http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,373341,00.html

Every medical definition of decapitated means he lost his head, I don't see where they could think otherwise:

http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd?decapitation

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/decapitation

• Unequivocal cases of medical futility are rare
  • For Example
  • Attempt to resuscitate a patient who is decapitated. In this situation, CPR would be futile according to all conceivable definitions

I can't believe they are going to re-open that ride today. UGH.

I can't believe they are going to re-open that ride today. UGH.

If it were a funciton of the ride failing, they would not.
If they don't go back to business as usual, it feeds panic and fear of the ride's safety, which is not in question in this accident.
Kind of not closing the park yesterday after the accident. There would have been panic and crowd control issues that would have made the whole experience worse.

What an total idiot. I shudder to think what teens are capable of doing. Some of them haven't the sense of a gnat. And then some are very smart and responsible. It depends on the kid.

I feel so sorry for the parents and family, also for anyone on the ride who saw this, they will all need some counseling. Seeing something like this is traumatizing.

I can't even imagine what his family must be going through. My prayers are with them tonight.

Maybe they should put barbed wire on those fences. We have a 6 ft fence in our yard and it wouldn't be difficult for a tall teen to jump over if they wanted. :( :(
I disagree Taximom. WHY should they HAVE to put barbed wire? It was posted keep out, dangerous, SF personal only....and the fences...BOTH of them were 6' high. That should be enough. I hate to blame the victim, but this time it is warranted. This kid thought the rules DIDN'T apply to him. So many of our youth feel that way. Unfortunately, this kid paid with his life. Prayers for his family and his youth group. It is going to be tough for all of them.

How terrible!
His poor family and the people who witnessed this. I imagine young kids seen this young man die.

Totally foolish and I hope the family does not sue the park over their sons foolishness.
If they do, I hope they lose. The park did its part to make sure that 2 six foot fences, along with them adequately posted were in place. The park shouldn't be held responsible for people not obeying the rules of the park. Personal liability people! We live in a sue happy age. It is time we all step up and take responsibility for our actions. He was 17, NOT a child. I hope the parents have enough dignity NOT to sue. It would be the right thing to do. I guess we will soon see.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back