Coaster kills boy at 6 Flags Over Georgia

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Slightly OT, but I know someone who worked on this case. She said the saddest part was that it was just a series of mistakes that were each fairly minor and easy to understand how it could happen, but put all together ended up with such tragic consequences. Something about a European version of a part being sent instead of an American version but having the same name, so the installers and inspectors would never know the difference, and the measurements being just slightly off. Not sure that is exactly right, but along those lines. SOOOO sad. Six Flags is paying big time on that one, but the issue being argued is about liability being divided among them and the manufacturer, supplier, etc.

Wow. This happened after I was gone from the corp, so I don't have anything "inside" to add. I'm sure they are paying & if what you describe is true, then I would agree about the liability being a shared issue. No matter what the cause, it is always horriffic when a tragedy like this happens. (Now, not to imply that Six Flags compares with NASA, but when Challenger exploded, minutes into the flight, it was because of an o-ring failure. Pretty small part to cause such a big tragedy.)

Tm I know I just read that. WHich makes it even more stupid for them.
DW I used to take my 10 speed up the highest hill in the city and ride it down. Hoping the Red light at the bottom was green as we were doing 50 with no helmets.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I disagree Taximom. WHY should they HAVE to put barbed wire? It was posted keep out, dangerous, SF personal only....and the fences...BOTH of them were 6' high. That should be enough. I hate to blame the victim, but this time it is warranted. This kid thought the rules DIDN'T apply to him. So many of our youth feel that way. Unfortunately, this kid paid with his life. Prayers for his family and his youth group. It is going to be tough for all of them.

If they put barbed wire on the fences, some other family would sue for their stupid teenager getting cut climbing over the fence.

I think most 17 year olds have better judgment than this kid had. All I have been able to wonder is if he was developmentally disadvantaged.

I feel so sorry for all of the innocent people in the park that day, the children, parents and the employees. I don't think I could ever go back to an amusement park again after seeing a decapitation. The report of many people frantically calling Cobb Co 911 are just heartbreaking.
God bless and keep all involved.
Maria

I think most 17 year olds have better judgment than this kid had. All I have been able to wonder is if he was developmentally disadvantaged.

I feel so sorry for all of the innocent people in the park that day, the children, parents and the employees. I don't think I could ever go back to an amusement park again after seeing a decapitation. The report of many people frantically calling Cobb Co 911 are just heartbreaking.
God bless and keep all involved.
Maria

Apparently all teenagers but 1 have better judgment than that. I can't recall another story where a teenager climb a fence and got decapitated by a roller coaster. :)

Perkins, installed last week as pastor of the Springfield church after transferring from Topeka, Kan., said Sunday the family plans to hire a private detective.
Asked if the Fergusons will file a lawsuit, Perkins — with the teen’s father at his side — said, “We just want to know the facts.” (From philamena's link)

Perkins, installed last week as pastor of the Springfield church after transferring from Topeka, Kan., said Sunday the family plans to hire a private detective.
Asked if the Fergusons will file a lawsuit, Perkins — with the teen’s father at his side — said, “We just want to know the facts.” (From philamena's link)
The facts are...that your kid didn't obey the signs. That your kid scaled two 6' fences to take a short cut. What kind of "facts" is he looking for? "Facts" so he can sue? UGGGGG! Personal responsibility people!!! If they do sue...I hope the judge will throw it out. :mad:

The facts are...that your kid didn't obey the signs. That your kid scaled two 6' fences to take a short cut. What kind of "facts" is he looking for? "Facts" so he can sue? UGGGGG! Personal responsibility people!!! If they do sue...I hope the judge will throw it out. :mad:

Yes, thank you. I felt so much sympathy for the family thinking 'oh my goodness, to know that your child was killed because he was doing something silly like 17 years sometimes do' and then I read that and I must say they lost a bit of my sympathy and if they sue. :mad:

What a horrible story, so sad for everyone involved. It is certainly not 6 Flags fault in any way. You can't protect people from their own foolish actions.

The company I work for was sued by the mother of a 12 year old child that climbed a eight foot chain link fence labeled "DANGER - HIGH VOLTAGE" and then climbed atop an eight foot high substation transformer (also labeled DANGER) and was throwing rocks and bottles in the substation with his little buddy. He contacted the bushings on the top of the transformer and was electrocuted with 12,000 volts. He somehow survived with 3rd degree burns. His mother sued the utility because she had no medical insurance to pay his hospital bills. People sue because they can. Right or wrong, companies will often settle just to avoid all the legal costs and bad publicity. It's very hard for some people to take responsibility for consequences of their children's actions.

You may be right on that one, but adding a bit of an electric shock may have worked.
Then people will sue because they got shocked. We live in a totally "sue happy" world. It's scary, imo.
I am just waiting for the lawsuit.

I will lose all respect for this family if they pull that crap.

They might, but it may be the only way they can cope with this. Maybe they'll become pro-active on Park Safety instead?

I can't imagine how many people have been traumatized by this accident.

You know - I can understand wanting the matter investigated by someone other than the Park who inevitabley investigates from a CYA position.

Just for the sake of argument, what if the boy had dropped something and a Park employee said - "Sure kid, you can go under there and look for it - ignore those signs - you'll be fine." I'm not saying this is what happened, but the fact is - if I lost my son in such a random tragic manner, I might want to someone to investigate on my behalf.

Extreme grief clouds things. It is hard to accept the unacceptable. We think it will be emotionally easier if we can make someone pay - literally, firguratively - however. We think we can stop blaming ourselves or stop being angry at the apparent stupidity of the deceased loved one if we can shift the blame anywhere else. Grief is so crippling - it does not always lead to rational or reasonable behavior.

Regardless of what they do legally, this family has my deepest sympathy.

The fact is, the poor kid scaled 2 6foot tall fences to get to an area he shouldn't have been in.
What can a PI add to that?:confused:

Thank you for this beautiful, heartbreaking link to more info about the victim, LeeShawn. He was a talented and loving young man and was greatly loved.
I pray for his family and friends.
Maria

You're most welcome SJ.:blowkiss:

You're on a roll todaay deanws. :blowkiss:
I agree with everything you said. :clap:

One article said the teen was trying to retrieve his hat.
His first thought should have been--obey the warning signs. He could have replaced his hat. His life can't be replaced. Now his poor dad has to bury his son just 2 months after burying his own father. :(

Amen. I am heartbroken for the family but the fact is, the park had adequate fencing and warning signs for people with sensibility and responsibility...the fact that LeeShawn wasn't sensible or responsible isn't Six Flags' fault.

Amen. I am heartbroken for the family but the fact is, the park had adequate fencing and warning signs for people with sensibility and responsibility...the fact that LeeShawn wasn't sensible or responsible isn't Six Flags' fault.
Exactly. :(

This is from the 1st link:
A 17-year-old boy was killed Saturday when he was struck by the popular Batman ride at Six Flags Over Georgia.
According to a statement from the amusement park, the boy climbed over two six-foot fences around the popular Batman roller coaster.

So did someone's feet hit this poor boy? Or was it something on the roller coaster (mechanical)? I hope it wasn't a person on the ride because that will also be traumatic to live with.
My understanding is that it was this teenagers fault. Nobody to blame except himself.

Unless he was mentally retarded, nobody needed to be "watching" a 17 year old teen to make sure he doesn't climb over TWO fences, with "RESTRICTED AREA" signs on them.

Do we need to put warning signs next to highways, so teenagers don't run out in traffic?

I sure hope no lawsuit is filed, and if it is, I hope it is thrown out of court.

I feel sorry for the parents, but this teen (a year away from being old enough to serve in the Military) has my vote for the Darwin Award.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryopanda
Back