Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Family Of Noah Pozner Calls For New Laws To Avert School Violence, Hold Gun Owners Accountable

The Pozners are also calling for uniform national standards on school lockdown drills, which they said should be mandated at any school where they aren't currently conducted.

"Just like every school is mandated by law to have fire drills, every school should now be mandated to have lockdown drills as well," the family wrote.

Lockdown training should also be provided to all substitute teachers, the family wrote. Noah's classroom was led by a substitute the day of the shooting and while another educator was also in the room, the extent of the substitute teacher's training in lockdown procedures is unclear.

Personally, IMO Adam Lanza is the person to blame for the Sandy Hook massacre.

Didn't we once live in a society where individuals were accountable for the choices they made, where personal responsibility was the rule not the exception and where we didn't allow the scapegoating of something as an excuse for a decision an individual made...

I am sure might like an old fuddy duddy to many reading this but enough with the endless coddling by our American society.

Amen!:moo:

I am not in any way agreeing what Dr. Glass wrote in regards to Adam Lanza. When she mentions about Nancy Lanza being a survivalist, I knew that is not true.

I read this article and it annoyed me no end .. NL is not here to defend herself anymore and is a victim here .. The picture used is not AL either and she repeatedly uses the word Toxic because she's still trying to flog that book of hers. Really, it's a little revolting the whole thing - she cares as much for accurate fact checking as Pat Brown.

Yeah, I'm not even a big fan of the way AL was raised and I had a real distaste for this article. It was full of erroneous information and inflammatory wording. She doesn't know anything more about this family than we do and it's irresponsible to call someone "toxic" when there is so little information.

What is "Ausperber's syndrome"?

Slain Connecticut principal's husband left with future that no longer makes sense

Her decision to step out into danger when the shooting began has left her husband with some difficult emotions.

"Dawn put herself in jeopardy, and I have been angry about that," he said.

But that changed Sunday, he said, when he met two teachers who told him that his wife had instructed them to take shelter while she confronted Lanza.

"She could've avoided that," George Hochsprung said. "But she didn't; I knew she wouldn't. So, I'm not angry anymore."

His voice wavering, he continued: "I'm not angry. I'm just very sad."

What is "Ausperber's syndrome"?

:floorlaugh: You know even if someone is dyslexic I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean they are unable to use spellcheck before posting their blog on the internet for all the world to read ...

Oh and HMSHood I know these are 'Dr' Glass' thoughts only :)

folks, moderation has decided to not allow linking to the Dr. Glass blog about one of AL's victims: his mother. please do not post or discuss it. Thanks so much folks!

Interesting...

PBS To Air Week Of Programming On Newtown Tragedy
http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-post/pbs-airing-week-newtown-shooting-coverage-72896

PBS will air a week of specials in February focused on the Newtown, Conn., shootings, the network announced Monday.Each night of "After Newtown" coverage will begin with a "PBS Newhour" focused on topics connected to the shooting, including violence in the media, gun control, and how other cities that have suffered mass shootings have dealth with their tragedies.The series will also feature a "Frontline" special report, "Raising Adam Lanza." Created in collaboration with The Hartford Courant, it will profile the shooter, examine his relationship with his mother, and investigate American gun culture.

The Newtown massacre, one month on

No clear consensus about how to move forward

Author: By David Ariosto and Susan Candiotti CNN

Published On: Jan 14 2013 02:21:51 PM EST Updated On: Jan 14 2013 02:32:27 PM EST

NEWTOWN, Connecticut (CNN) -
Many questions remain 31 days after a school massacre in Newtown, Conn., shocked the nation. But what's clear is that the pain remains powerfully visible throughout the community. And the force of that anguish is loud enough to echo throughout Washington's halls of power.

As authorities investigate why 20-year-old Adam Lanza gunned down 27 people, including 20 children, there's no clear consensus in Newtown about how to move forward. But many residents are calling for stricter gun control, including a ban on so-called assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, used in many mass shootings.

Newtown police Chief Michael Kehoe told NBC that he favors a ban on assault weapons and restrictions on high-capacity ammunition magazines...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...-on/-/1719418/18124846/-/hdievmz/-/index.html

The friends that won't ever come forward. IMO

CHERIE---- Agreed, no one will step out to tell anyone they went shooting with mass murderer Lanza for a few good times at the Newtown Gun Range

My Aunt used to say when confronted on an issue

" You can Dance and Face the Music or Run for Cover...Just remember, Sometimes Cover is Best"

Slain Connecticut principal's husband left with future that no longer makes sense

Her decision to step out into danger when the shooting began has left her husband with some difficult emotions.

"Dawn put herself in jeopardy, and I have been angry about that," he said.

But that changed Sunday, he said, when he met two teachers who told him that his wife had instructed them to take shelter while she confronted Lanza.

"She could've avoided that," George Hochsprung said. "But she didn't; I knew she wouldn't. So, I'm not angry anymore."

His voice wavering, he continued: "I'm not angry. I'm just very sad."

SUGAR--- Thanks good post

I really feel for George Hochsprung and what he's going through

Dawn hochsprung did install a dual security system with camera monitors and entrance into the school was approved by someone monitoring who got access at the front door

What really jumps out to me, CT LE said Lanza was denied entrance into the school, then he blasted out windows, doors to get inside

I'm wondering why did school admins deny him entrance? I wonder if they were'nt able to see his rifle on the camera monitor?

Did Lanza create an argument days before the shooting? Did Lanza make threatening calls to the school?

Remember, Lanza's Mom was away in New Hampshire for 3 days, if Lanza was making a scene/threats, the school admins might not have known how to get ahold of NL?

Just some thoughts...

Hi everybody!
I'm just jumping in here, so I'm sorry if my post lands in a weird place topic-wise.

We've discussed various school's lockdown procedures here. After coming back from winter break, my school is not surprisingly buckling down on security and reviewed and revamped some of our lockdown procedures. We're having a drill Friday for just staff (no school for kids Friday) and then we'll start doing more regular ones after that. We've always had a policy in place, but it hasn't been taught or practiced enough (IMO).

So this is a preschool, but it's a big preschool site with five classrooms and it's located in an old (super old) elementary school building. The classrooms all have two doors--one of which leads outside, while in one area the other door leads to a different outdoor area while the other two classrooms have a hallway on their other side. The entire school has various procedures (kitchen staff, office, etc.), but I'll just share the classroom procedures.

There are 19 children (ages 3-5) per classroom, and always at least 2 teachers per class, although sometimes there's more.

When we hear the signal via the intercom, teachers and classroom staff do the following:
1) lock any unlocked doors using the lockdown key (although starting today we're to keep all doors locked except during the transition between AM and PM classes)
2) calmly remind children what they are to do
3) move children to a location in classroom away from windows
4) close all blinds and curtains (now I've mentioned already that will take forever, so we'll see how that goes)
5) ensure door window is covered
6) remain calm (shouldn't that have been number one?)
7) keep children entertained and occupied with quiet activities (songs, finger-play games, etc.)
8) wait for the "all clear" announcement (or worst case scenario wait for the police/emergency responders)

There you have it. There are additional directions for classes who are on the playground or in the gym when a lockdown occurs.

I don't know if this is helpful for anyone, or if anyone cares, but with all the talk about procedures, I figured since I got the new procedure memo today, I'd share:)

What do you guys think of our procedure? Reasonable and feasible? Short-sighted and unrealistic?

ETA: I need to ask the boss who will be responsible for ensuring subs know these procedures--they'll be posted in the classroom, I'm sure, but like anyone's going to have time to look at it during a crisis.

These lockdowns also need to be known how to be implemented for kids practicing sports at after school activities. Near my locale the other day, a male domestic murder suicide ended up on the grounds of one school and near two other schools during practices. They were later praised at quickly locking down and doing it right.

Hi everybody!
I'm just jumping in here, so I'm sorry if my post lands in a weird place topic-wise.

We've discussed various school's lockdown procedures here. After coming back from winter break, my school is not surprisingly buckling down on security and reviewed and revamped some of our lockdown procedures. We're having a drill Friday for just staff (no school for kids Friday) and then we'll start doing more regular ones after that. We've always had a policy in place, but it hasn't been taught or practiced enough (IMO).

So this is a preschool, but it's a big preschool site with five classrooms and it's located in an old (super old) elementary school building. The classrooms all have two doors--one of which leads outside, while in one area the other door leads to a different outdoor area while the other two classrooms have a hallway on their other side. The entire school has various procedures (kitchen staff, office, etc.), but I'll just share the classroom procedures.

There are 19 children (ages 3-5) per classroom, and always at least 2 teachers per class, although sometimes there's more.

When we hear the signal via the intercom, teachers and classroom staff do the following:
1) lock any unlocked doors using the lockdown key (although starting today we're to keep all doors locked except during the transition between AM and PM classes)
2) calmly remind children what they are to do
3) move children to a location in classroom away from windows
4) close all blinds and curtains (now I've mentioned already that will take forever, so we'll see how that goes)
5) ensure door window is covered
6) remain calm (shouldn't that have been number one?)
7) keep children entertained and occupied with quiet activities (songs, finger-play games, etc.)
8) wait for the "all clear" announcement (or worst case scenario wait for the police/emergency responders)

There you have it. There are additional directions for classes who are on the playground or in the gym when a lockdown occurs.

I don't know if this is helpful for anyone, or if anyone cares, but with all the talk about procedures, I figured since I got the new procedure memo today, I'd share:)

What do you guys think of our procedure? Reasonable and feasible? Short-sighted and unrealistic?

ETA: I need to ask the boss who will be responsible for ensuring subs know these procedures--they'll be posted in the classroom, I'm sure, but like anyone's going to have time to look at it during a crisis.

:waitasec: Are the classrooms large? In the old days, classrooms were rather large with numerous large windows. You have to lock the doors? Close blinds (hope they don't get stuck, ugh) or curtains, plus cover the glass on the doors. What happens on the day you don't have another teacher or helper with you? You never know. I suggest each teacher/assistant/etc. should learn what to do with another teacher and also alone.

Substitutes should all be given the same instructions and best case scenario, they would come in to practice even if they aren't working on drill days.

Dealing with 19 children that young, yikes! They should practice, too, so they'd at least have an idea that they should be together, hold hands, be quiet, etc., whatever the procedures will be. They should probably have a drill frequently because that sort of thing would be so foreign to them, I'm sure. In all my years of schooling (a whole bunch) plus my teaching experience with kids of all ages plus adults, I've had many drills for fire, tornado, nuclear (duck and cover), bomb scares, plus "other, just in case". All those drills but only once did we have the real deal (a fire) and I was in first grade. Plus a few times we had bomb scares but that turned out to be nothing. We all knew what we were supposed to do thanks to our drills.

I hope your school knows that more drills equal better, faster and orderly response time. Sometimes they can be quite lax.

The kids sitting close to the doors and windows were assigned to open/close doors and to close windows (older than pre-school, of course).

Let us know how it goes on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member