Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of locked doors, I thought I'd repost this. I had posted this in one of the earlier threads before it was locked.

There were a few reports of teachers being unable to lock their doors or the doors just not locking:

Ms. Rousseau - according to her father - did not have a key to lock her door.

Gilles Rousseau said he raised the question after a contact with the school district, whom he did not identify, told him that Lauren Rousseau would not have had a key to lock the first-grade room where she was teaching Friday. As a permanent substitute, she was assigned to different classes from day to day.

This article says that 4th grade teacher Mr. Varga could not lock a door: "Once the shooting began, Mr Varga tried to lock the door to the conference room. When he found out the door would not lock..."

Library clerk Mary Ann Jacob could not lock her door.

"I shouted 'Lockdown!' and I ran across the hall and told the other class it was a lockdown," Jacob said.

She dashed back to her classroom and discovered that the door would not lock. Spying the storage closet in the room, Jacob and the rest of the library staff guided the children in a group-crawl to safety as the gunfire continued.

Another article includes some more info on how the doors were locked: Another teacher, Abbey Clements, acted quickly to save lives. When she heard gunshots outside her classroom she initially thought they might be folding chairs, left out for a concert, falling over. But when she looked outside she was confronted with a very different scene. "When I poked my head out the door and saw the custodian [janitor] running to the front of the building I realised they were shots," she said. She pulled two students and two other teachers who were standing in the hall through her door to hide them. "We corralled those two kids into my classroom to stay with me. We went into lockdown, which meant that I ran to get the keys and told the kids to sit in the place where we practised for emergencies.

"It was even scary to lock the door because I had to open the door back up and put my hand out – because the lock is on the outside – and then come back into the closet area," Ms Clements added. Trying to calm the children, she attempted to muffle the haunting sounds of gunshots and screams broadcasting over the intercom and read them stories.

And one more:

Shari Burton, a Sandy Hook teacher's assistant, who called 911 just moments after hearing those first horrifying shots.

BURTON: I called 911, and they said that they had some calls come through already, and they asked me to describe what I was hearing. And at that time, all I was hearing was, Pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop. And it wasn't stopping. And he said, Do you think it's gunshots? And I said, I think it's gunshots.

At that time, I did not realize that our teacher could not lock our door, but she had saw the custodian. She said, Our door won't lock, and he shooed her into our room and she closed the door. And he came back. He stayed in the hallway and he locked our doors.

I wonder if Victoria Soto was able to lock her door? She should have had enough time since AL was in Lauren Rousseau's class prior to hers. I think if anything the inability to lock the doors might come in to play if Lauren Rousseau's family or the families of her class decided to sue.

There will have to be bullet proof windows on all lower floors as well.

And then what about the fact a gun can shoot at least one half mile with accuracy.

Cross country running, downhill skiing, football, on and on.

What about school activities such as plays or the holiday programs or on and on where parents and friends come to school activities?

Most school shooters start in the school. The guard can be at one end of the school and the student at the other.

Having classroom doors locked would help.

But what happens when the teacher answers the knock on the door to let in the tardy student and it is a student with a weapon?

A mentally ill or evil person is just that. But add a gun to the person.

Speaking of locked doors, I thought I'd repost this. I had posted this in one of the earlier threads before it was locked.

There were a few reports of teachers being unable to lock their doors or the doors just not locking:

Ms. Rousseau - according to her father - did not have a key to lock her door.

Gilles Rousseau said he raised the question after a contact with the school district, whom he did not identify, told him that Lauren Rousseau would not have had a key to lock the first-grade room where she was teaching Friday. As a permanent substitute, she was assigned to different classes from day to day.

This article says that 4th grade teacher Mr. Varga could not lock a door: "Once the shooting began, Mr Varga tried to lock the door to the conference room. When he found out the door would not lock..."

Library clerk Mary Ann Jacob could not lock her door.

"I shouted 'Lockdown!' and I ran across the hall and told the other class it was a lockdown," Jacob said.

She dashed back to her classroom and discovered that the door would not lock. Spying the storage closet in the room, Jacob and the rest of the library staff guided the children in a group-crawl to safety as the gunfire continued.

Another article includes some more info on how the doors were locked: Another teacher, Abbey Clements, acted quickly to save lives. When she heard gunshots outside her classroom she initially thought they might be folding chairs, left out for a concert, falling over. But when she looked outside she was confronted with a very different scene. "When I poked my head out the door and saw the custodian [janitor] running to the front of the building I realised they were shots," she said. She pulled two students and two other teachers who were standing in the hall through her door to hide them. "We corralled those two kids into my classroom to stay with me. We went into lockdown, which meant that I ran to get the keys and told the kids to sit in the place where we practised for emergencies.

"It was even scary to lock the door because I had to open the door back up and put my hand out – because the lock is on the outside – and then come back into the closet area," Ms Clements added. Trying to calm the children, she attempted to muffle the haunting sounds of gunshots and screams broadcasting over the intercom and read them stories.

And one more:

Shari Burton, a Sandy Hook teacher's assistant, who called 911 just moments after hearing those first horrifying shots.

BURTON: I called 911, and they said that they had some calls come through already, and they asked me to describe what I was hearing. And at that time, all I was hearing was, Pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop. And it wasn't stopping. And he said, Do you think it's gunshots? And I said, I think it's gunshots.

At that time, I did not realize that our teacher could not lock our door, but she had saw the custodian. She said, Our door won't lock, and he shooed her into our room and she closed the door. And he came back. He stayed in the hallway and he locked our doors.

I wonder if Victoria Soto was able to lock her door? She should have had enough time since AL was in Lauren Rousseau's class prior to hers. I think if anything the inability to lock the doors might come in to play if Lauren Rousseau's family or the families of her class decided to sue.

:-( so horrible :::shudder::::
I feel so terrible reading that... again. They will have to figure out this door locking issue- I believe and trust that they will.

Those poor people @Sandyhook. I cannot imagine how any one of those people who survived that day are getting through the days and nights.

I practiced lockdowns with my students almost every month since Columbine. It is a state law.

The principal told us that bullets go through walls so find a place in your classroom where there may be a way that would help deflect some such as the teachers desk, etc.

He said bullets can go through many bodies, so think about that.

I was on the main floor because of young children. Easy for someone to come in through a window because of egress for fire issues.

One kindergarten teacher tells her students that they are finding a safe place for when a deer could come into the school.

Really' all of this so people can have guns that shoot six bullets per second?

Two state cops are frantically waving Dahlmeyer and the ambulance crew toward the school. They pull into the school parking lot.

There's a Newton police officer holding a small child. He's on one knee, holding her low to the ground, grave concern on his face.

This is like seeing an image in Time magazine from Afghanistan. Holy crap. This can't be happening. I'm dreaming; it's a nightmare.

http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/12-14-12-The-day-Newtown-will-never-forget-4156167.php

Stunning accounts.

:-(

`Send everything,'

At my school where I teach, lockdowns are practiced so many times per year (I forget how many) During these drills the teacher must lock and close the door, cover the window in the door, gather the children and huddle them into their planned spot and pray that everyone cooperates, close the window coverings, shut off the lights and calm the children to remain silent. This all must take place in a very rushed few seconds. This is a very stressful time, even when it is a practice.

From my practices prior to Dec 14th, when it was announced over the intercom that we were in lockdown mode, I never had my key readily available. I usually wear it around my neck, however the past 2 times we had a drill, I took the key off from around my neck as it was in the way of an activity that I was doing with the kids. I placed it on my desk. During the mad rush of when the drill was announced, I forgot where I placed it and had to scramble to find it. I realize now, how important these few seconds are!!!!

Since Dec 14th I have changed things in my classroom, I now always keep our classroom door locked at all times, this saves the time of finding my key and getting that door locked. I taped black construction paper on the door window and leave it there permanently. We used to huddle behind my desk in the corner, I realize now that this spot is not good enough. I cleaned out a walk in closet to make room for the class to squeeze into. These actions done permanently will save me a few seconds and give me more time to calm the children and move them into the closet. I just hope I can be as calm as some of the teachers that we have read about from Sandy Hook. Just from reading the tidbits in the media....I have learned alot!!!!!

I read this with the tears streaming down . This is what people are fighting for? This is freedom? They are fighting to be able to have weapons that shoot six bullets per second? Are you kidding me?

At my school where I teach, lockdowns are practiced so many times per year (I forget how many) During these drills the teacher must lock and close the door, cover the window in the door, gather the children and huddle them into their planned spot and pray that everyone cooperates, close the window coverings, shut off the lights and calm the children to remain silent. This all must take place in a very rushed few seconds. This is a very stressful time, even when it is a practice.

From my practices prior to Dec 14th, when it was announced over the intercom that we were in lockdown mode, I never had my key readily available. I usually wear it around my neck, however the past 2 times we had a drill, I took the key off from around my neck as it was in the way of an activity that I was doing with the kids. I placed it on my desk. During the mad rush of when the drill was announced, I forgot where I placed it and had to scramble to find it. I realize now, how important these few seconds are!!!!

Since Dec 14th I have changed things in my classroom, I now always keep our classroom door locked at all times, this saves the time of finding my key and getting that door locked. I taped black construction paper on the door window and leave it there permanently. We used to huddle behind my desk in the corner, I realize now that this spot is not good enough. I cleaned out a walk in closet to make room for the class to squeeze into. These actions done permanently will save me a few seconds and give me more time to calm the children and move them into the closet. I just hope I can be as calm as some of the teachers that we have read about from Sandy Hook. Just from reading the tidbits in the media....I have learned alot!!!!!

This whole key thing confuses me? If you don't mind, why do you even need a key for locking the door from the inside? I get needing a key to lock your door from the outside when you leave the classroom for breaks or activities with the children outside of the classroom, but why the need for a key to lock from the inside?

ETA: OMG! It just hit me. You need a key to lock the doors so that someone couldn't come in and lock the door and open fire. Leaving it harder for people to escape. I am shocked it took me so long to get it? There are just too many scenarios that could happen. You can not be 100% prepared for all of them. This is asking teachers to be superheros. :cry:

the car is completely off-limits for discussion? ummm ok

i didnt even imply anything, just a discussion of known facts and evidence in the case...

i guess only complete speculation about possible causes and culpability is ok at this point, very strange...

This whole key thing confuses me? If you don't mind, why do you even need a key for locking the door from the inside? I get needing a key to lock your door from the outside when you leave the classroom for breaks or activities with the children outside of the classroom, but why the need for a key to lock from the inside?

I didn't say I needed a key to lock from inside.
Our classroom doors have a keyhole on the outside, nothing on the inside but a knob, you need a key to lock and unlock the door. The door will open with a turn of the knob from the inside (locked or not....fire regulations) I now keep it locked at all times.

I don't believe anything will stop killers like AL, short of turning schools into reverse prisons (keep the good people inside and the bad ones outside). Safety of schools must start with controlled single point of entry. If this is not addressed, anything else would be a waste of time!

the car is completely off-limits for discussion? ummm ok

i didnt even imply anything, just a discussion of known facts and evidence in the case...

i guess only complete speculation about possible causes and culpability is ok at this point, very strange...

Just send a note to a moderator if you have a complaint. We listen.

The issue with the car has been off limits for some time now- unless someone can come up with an MSM link to the story. Now it is only on blogs and agendized websites. If you find one send it to a moderator.
thanks!

I don't believe anything will stop killers like AL, short of turning schools into reverse prisons (keep the good people inside and the bad ones outside). Safety of schools must start with controlled single point of entry. If this is not addressed, anything else would be a waste of time!

With every security suggestion that I have read on here, I think of my classroom.

Having bullet proof main entrance doors and windows.....AL could walk around to my classroom windows, shoot them out and enter that way.

Having armed guards....AL could have shot him first.

Video surv.....I really don't think this would have helped as it seemed like it was a split few seconds from him at the front door until he was inside the school.

Lets say we build all new schools to be prison type buildings (far fetched I know) what about other places that we send our kids....movie theatres, shopping malls, grocery stores, sport complex, parks, etc etc etc. Mass shootings can happen anywhere.

I think our new schools (built with huge protest by taxpayers, BTW. Schools that are no longer open sieves and rabbit warrens of additions), have some kind of flip lock on the inside.

That would be an easier solution than a key.

That way a sub would have an easy time instead of worrying about a key.

When I was an art teacher, I went from room to room with a cart. I imagine that still happens today. There is no way I could have had keys for every room, much less dig for one if my hands were covered with clay.

A traveling teacher would have to know the lock down situation of every room. I do not know what it is like for other teachers,but I used to have 1500 different students every two weeks. That is a lot of lockdown situations to know. I had a different teaching job when Columbine happened, so I don't know what a traveling teacher does.

I didn't say I needed a key to lock from inside.
Our classroom doors have a keyhole on the outside, nothing on the inside but a knob, you need a key to lock and unlock the door. The door will open with a turn of the knob from the inside (locked or not....fire regulations) I now keep it locked at all times.

Do you think that it would be easier to have a lockdown button in the main office? Something that would automatically lock all classroom doors in the case of emergency? I know a lot of rich people who have little devices that lock their doors just by switching a little button. So it is possible. I'm trying to figure out things that would save valuable seconds. Teachers have so many things to worry about in the case of an emergency that I don't see how you even cope with a drill. I would be beside myself. In the case of a real emergency, I can see a teacher immediately thinking about the children and wanting to shuffle them to safety before even thinking about a door. I still don't think Victoria Soto had enough time to lock her door. It all happened so fast.

Reading above, and teachers personal accounts, most didn't even think what they were hearing were gunshots. One even thought that it was chairs falling over. Peeked her head into the hallway. I couldn't even imagine. There has to be more done to relieve teachers of so much in case of an emergency. Are there any suggestions you have, as a teacher, that you think would help to lessen how much you have to do in case of an emergency?

The simpler solution would be to have a lock that can close the door from the inside without a key.
If they are concerned students will lock themselves in the classroom the teacher should have the keys that open the door from the outside.

If the lessons from the Thurston High shootings 14 years ago were heeded, Sandy Hook may never have happened. A similar mistake was made in both cases when family members allowed a child with clear mental health problems access to firearms. In both cases, it went far beyond the kind of hunting guns that many of us have in our homes.

Watch Frontline: The Killer at Thurston High for the details of the earlier case.

Do you think that it would be easier to have a lockdown button in the main office? Something that would automatically lock all classroom doors in the case of emergency? I know a lot of rich people who have little devices that lock their doors just by switching a little button. So it is possible. I'm trying to figure out things that would safe valuable seconds. Teachers have so many things to worry about in the case of an emergency that I don't see how you even cope with a drill. I would be beside myself. In the case of a real emergency, I can see a teacher immediately thinking about the children and wanting to shuffle them to safety before even thinking about a door. I still don't think Victoria Soto had enough time to lock her door. It all happened so fast.

Reading above, and teachers personal accounts, most didn't even think what they were hearing were gunshots. One even thought that it was chairs falling over. Peeked her head into the hallway. I couldn't even imagine. There has to be more done to relieve teachers of so much in case of an emergency. Are there any suggestions you have, as a teacher, that you think would help to lessen how much you have to do in case of an emergency?

All I see is big $$$$ to install this, good idea, but what school district has this kind of money.

As for the doors, if every teacher ALWAYS keeps the door locked with class in session or not, the door locking problem during a lockdown is no longer an issue.

When you take a step back and think about all of this....isn't it crazy that we have to even think about spending huge dollars on our schools security to keep us safe from a possible madman.

All I see is big $$$$ to install this, good idea, but what school district has this kind of money.

As for the doors, if every teacher ALWAYS keeps the door lock with class in session or not, the door locking problem during a lockdown is no longer an issue.

What if a teacher has a medical emergency? Would there be a specific student, more mature and responsible than the others, that would know where the key is in order to unlock the door and go and get help for the teacher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamesrobert