Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank You for protecting our little ones under your watch! (all teachers and school employees)

My son liked seeing the policeman as he calls them at the school..our door and windows have some type of screen between the glass..it looks strange but maybe it does help protect the glass from being shot out.

I'd just like to say Thank You to every teacher or school employee here. Thank you all.

Yes we had the screen between the glass too but not the classroom windows.

I'm glad your son liked seeing the policeman. I imagine it was very reassuring.

I hope there was one at my niece's school. Her mom said she cried all week end about it. She's a third grader. I think she would be very reassured seeing a policeman in her school this morning even if we are in NC away from CT.

I heard what he said at the press conference.
I wish I could find a transcript somewhere!

It was the way he worded it that made it
very clear how he had done it to me.

I'd don't want to paraphrase...
I'd rather link... but it was something like
the killer (did it in such a way that there was no chance
he would be "recoverable")

After hearing that I am pretty sure how he did it
but it is just MOO
I will spare ya the gory details.
early reports on thread one also said he had on a bullet proof vest fwiw

I'm still chewing on this one too. The Columbine killers were bullied and I think the VA Tech killer was as well, right?

Sorry for bringing up an old point, but I'm trying to get caught up on this thread. It was thought for a while after the Columbine shooting that both shooters were victims of bullying, but in recent years, it's come to light that they were both fairly well-accepted by their peers and appeared to have little trouble with fitting in. Dylan Klebold was reported to be painfully shy, but Eric Harris was outgoing and by several accounts, felt superior to all of his peers. In fact, he wrote in his journal shortly before the shooting, "I feel like God and I wish I was, having everyone being OFFICIALLY lower than me." Harris was a superficially charming psychopath and something of a bully himself. He wanted to kill everyone, not just some jocks.

(More here, sorry I don't have a better source handy)

Yikes, so young to even try to understand this, heck, I don't even fully understand all this. Do you agree with your sons teacher talking about this. I teach kindergarten, I overheard a couple of students talking about this issue. One stated during play time that he was going to shoot the class, the other responded with "just the crazy guy who shoots kids". I pulled these 2 kids aside and talked to them about this. We talked about our rule of not using guns in our play time, even pretend ones. We talked about "the crazy guy" as they called him, that he died too and that he will never ever hurt anyone again. Im not sure I want to talk about this issue to the whole class, as I feel it is opening up a can of worms that will put worries about safety into these young peanuts. I feel they are too young to discuss and understand this. Anyone else have ideas?

Are you in CT?

I broached the topic with my five and six year old on Friday afternoon after school. There is no way to protect them from all knowledge of it, it's on every channel, every radio station, and being discussed everywhere. At least if I told them, they would get the answers that I knew were true, there would be no speculation and they would feel safe to ask questions, knowing that I would answer them honestly. Many schools will be changing things in the light of this attack and someone needs to explain why to the kids. They know that tornados and fires and car accidents happen, they can acknowledge that school shooters happen too, and as long as the discussion is open for them to ask questions and get honest, appropriate answers, I would have no problem with them talking about it at school.

Yikes, so young to even try to understand this, heck, I don't even fully understand all this. Do you agree with your sons teacher talking about this. I teach kindergarten, I overheard a couple of students talking about this issue. One stated during play time that he was going to shoot the class, the other responded with "just the crazy guy who shoots kids". I pulled these 2 kids aside and talked to them about this. We talked about our rule of not using guns in our play time, even pretend ones. We talked about "the crazy guy" as they called him, that he died too and that he will never ever hurt anyone again. Im not sure I want to talk about this issue to the whole class, as I feel it is opening up a can of worms that will put worries about safety into these young peanuts. I feel they are too young to discuss and understand this. Anyone else have ideas?

Are you in CT?

Yes my son is young, and does not understand fully ..neither do I.. but I can't shelter him either.. I am glad that the teachers and counslers are discussing this..Hopefully the children that are afraid to go to school this will be some comfort.. But as a parent my DH and I discussed this with him and told him he could ask us questions and never be afraid to talk to us about anything.. I know he is young..but kids understand clearer when their parents teach them and discuss these things with them.. There are 6 year olds bringing guns and weapons to school..I feel sad that our little ones can not have the fairy tales and wishes we had when we where small. I want to keep a open line of communication with my child, I never want him to be afraid to talk me. now enough of my ramblings..

I think they were making gingerbread houses in more than one class. IIRC one teacher's pages said they were going to start at 9.45. am. One of the little girl victims, Olivia, was reportedly planning to make a gingerbread house that day after school.

Based on what we know about AL he seems like a loner.

Oh how I love Kindergarten students!

Some schools may have asked the teachers to talk about it. I'm sure most schools will be having lockdown drills soon.

Usually the counselor at the school where I worked told the teachers at our school after Columbine to address it to the whole class if a student inquired about it.

I guess it just depends. Sounds like you did the right thing in your situation.

We had a lockdown drill a week before this shooting in CT, it is law that we have to do them so many times per year (cant remember the #) When I entered the classroom this morning, I couldn't stop thinking of Sandy Hook school. I was looking at every corner, every cupboard, closet etc, thinking, where would be the best place to hide the children. Alot of teachers in my school locked their classrooms today while teaching (something we have never done) This whole situation certainly makes you feel uneasy while in the classroom and very alert to your surroundings.

That was said during the 12 ish presser. Also, yes they can take the IP address and see what sites were visited. It was done at my work.

yes, and they will find user names, etc., and can proceed further with that info. We have IP search warrant returns in many of our cases, and they're a wealth of info for any investigator.

I am far from a computer forensics expert, but I work with one.

If people have computer forensics questions as this goes forward, let me know and I can ask him. He comes in handy every once in awhile, haha. :blushing:

I hope the shooter's father lets his son's brain be donated to science to be examined so that we can learn more about what might have been going on in there and MAYBE prevent future tragedies. I think it would be worth a shot, anyways, JMO.

Didn't he shoot himself in the head?

I clicked back on that link and seen this, a video on how the familys heard there loved ones were not coming back. Anger over Gov. Malloy's "callous" treatment of Conn. families - CBS News Video I will sign the pettion also.

I read the story posted about the parents who lost their daughter. After being asked to wait to identify her they were so devastated that they just left. They went home and climbed into their daughters bed and cried. At 1am a policeman knocked on the door to notify them that their daughter was indeed dead.

I just cried so hard when I read their story.

We had a lockdown drill a week before this shooting in CT, it is law that we have to do them so many times per year (cant remember the #) When I entered the classroom this morning, I couldn't stop thinking of Sandy Hook school. I was looking at every corner, every cupboard, closet etc, thinking, where would be the best place to hide the children. Alot of teachers in my school locked their classrooms today while teacher (something we have never done) This whole situation certainly makes you feel uneasy while in the classroom and very alert to your surroundings.

My son told me that his teacher did everything backward today. She shut the classroom door and made them leave the bathroom door open when they weren't using it. Usually it's the other way around. I think everyone is watching their surroundings.
The superintendent made a recorded message played on the phone to every student household in our district. Any remaining Christmas programs and parties held on school grounds this year will be limited to having parents, stepparents, and siblings attend only. I can understand them not wanting a lot of extra people in the buildings for any reason right now.

Originally Posted by gngr~snap
I heard what he said at the press conference.
I wish I could find a transcript somewhere!

It was the way he worded it that made it
very clear how he had done it to me.

I'd don't want to paraphrase...
I'd rather link... but it was something like
the killer (did it in such a way that there was no chance
he would be "recoverable")

After hearing that I am pretty sure how he did it
but it is just MOO
I will spare ya the gory details.

Didn't he say something like he put the gun to his head in an anatomically correct position and shot himself once at point blank range. Or something like that?

At first, sure---but it's a very basic part of many people with Asperger's along with the obsession with a very few subjects, social awkwardness, etc. She seemed to be very disturbed about it well into his teens--one would think she had at least become used to it.

Who's to say she hadn't become used to it? Then again, not everyone handles things similarly.

Personally I don't see anything odd in a mother being upset about her child's difficulties in social interaction regardless of diagnosis. We all want the best for our children and seeing them unhappy or unable to fit may be painful. It may be a common feature in Asperger's syndrome but it doesn't mean that all mothers will think, "Oh, he's got AS, so that's all right then."

I think increasing age may make some things easier as you lived with the symptoms so long and learned to handle them and many children learn to control themselves better. But sometimes it also highlights new upsetting aspects, as there are new challenges in the lives of young people and you realize that all the other children in his class are growing up and becoming more independent and getting girlfriends and boyfriends and planning careers and your child is still totally dependent on you and still unable to relate to any other people and you start to picture yourself as a frail old lady who can't take care of him any more and worry what will happen to him...

Not saying that's what NL thought, just that the transition into adulthood may bring up new causes for worry.

Sorry for bringing up an old point, but I'm trying to get caught up on this thread. It was thought for a while after the Columbine shooting that both shooters were victims of bullying, but in recent years, it's come to light that they were both fairly well-accepted by their peers and appeared to have little trouble with fitting in. Dylan Klebold was reported to be painfully shy, but Eric Harris was outgoing and by several accounts, felt superior to all of his peers. In fact, he wrote in his journal shortly before the shooting, "I feel like God and I wish I was, having everyone being OFFICIALLY lower than me." Harris was a superficially charming psychopath and something of a bully himself. He wanted to kill everyone, not just some jocks.

(More here, sorry I don't have a better source handy)

Some say that the book Columbine, which was really the biggest to push this story that Harris and Klebold were not bullied, left out a great deal of information, possibly to advance the author's theory.

Read, for example, what Brooks Brown, childhood friend of Dylan, and friend and later enemy of Eric Harris, has to say about Columbine High and their treatment there.

While bullying was not the sole cause, and mental illness undoubtedly played a part (Harris arguably being a psychopath, and from his writings, Klebold was clearly deeply depressed), it is not at all clear that the two were never bullied.

We had a lockdown drill a week before this shooting in CT, it is law that we have to do them so many times per year (cant remember the #) When I entered the classroom this morning, I couldn't stop thinking of Sandy Hook school. I was looking at every corner, every cupboard, closet etc, thinking, where would be the best place to hide the children. Alot of teachers in my school locked their classrooms today while teaching (something we have never done) This whole situation certainly makes you feel uneasy while in the classroom and very alert to your surroundings.

I hope you can relax a bit this week.

Although it was hard for her, I did feel the interview with the teacher who would not let LE in was so good. The teacher who had gotten all the students in the tiny bathroom and she had turned the lights out too. One of the first things you are to do.

She didn't accept the badges and finally said if you are who you say you are you have a key.

We had a way to know if it was the sheriff's dept or not and I don't want to give it away here but it did not involve knocking or a verbal response. I admire her tenacity in that situation.

Also part of the training involves pulling any child that's out in the hall into your classroom just as one of the teachers did.

And then there's always the bomb drills...it just never ends!

God Help Us

By Ben Stein on 12.17.12 @ 6:10AM
A massacre that has turned the world upside down.

... What is it that we teach our young men in this world that makes them think it’s a mark of manliness to kill the unarmed and innocent? Whatever it is, it’s disgusting. It’s not manly to kill any unarmed human. It’s miserable, crawling cowardice. ...

http://spectator.org/archives/2012/12/17/god-help-us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member