Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends had met Lanza’s younger son, who stared down at the floor and didn’t speak when she brought him in. They knew he’d switched schools more than once and that she’d tried home schooling him. But while she occasionally expressed concern about his future during evenings at the bar, she never complained about anything at all.
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/a...anza-s-mother-kept-trials-of-home-life-hidden

Sounds to me... like utter denial.
She knew what was best for him. Period.
MOO

(I am not blaming her) but he was in a school setting...
was there no reason to refer him to "profesionals"?

She may have felt that was what she had to do.

Cool! It is neuroscientist Dr. Fallon on Dr. Drew's show. He is a cousin of Lizzie Borden and has the same PET scan abnormalities as psychopathic killers that he has studied. He, unlike the killers that he has studied, had protective factors (a loving family) and although his brain is abnormal in the same areas as psychopaths, he can feel empathy.

We know so little of how brain works. So I don't buy into this "abnormal scan" mambo jumbo.

From NG (take it for what it's worth):
The video game that the killer was obsessed with was Dance Dance Revolution.

Calling police is not the answer if the mother truly cares for the child. Doing so can cause the child to escalate in the presence of police. What does the mother expect the police to do? Shoot the child? Arrest him for terroristic threats? What does giving the kid a rap sheet accomplish that is worthwhile? Arresting and throwing mentally ill kids into youth facilities simply exposes them to other very troubled youth and violence can result. Cops aren't parents and are trained to protect themselves and will do so. Tossing a mentally-ill child into the criminal justice system accomplishes nothing worthwhile for the child but that's just my opinion.

Honestly the mother calling the police may in fact help the child because if he does escalate police can charge him with a crime. Doing this can open doors for mental health treatment.

I think KC and Sandusky would at least be diagnosed as narcissistic psychopaths. JMO

No doubt that they are. With the exception of Sandusky, they came from a dysfunctional family.

I noticed Adam Lanza was estranged from his brother Ryan Lanza and father Peter Lanza. I notice estrangement is a common trait with many evil figures. Casey Anthony, Fred Phelps, Betty Broderick, Anders Breivik, and Osama bin Laden have history of estrangement. I think relationship with family is a strong factor.

I know. It almost seems to me like he had personal bodyguards at his high school ordered to follow him everywhere. Weird. JMO

This is probably false or there is MUCH more to the story. I cannot imagine a school dedicating specialty staff to hover over a child due to him being odd. He had to have some sort of past serious occurances to warrent this. Most schools educate the whole student body on bullying, I have never heard of providing bodyguards to keep someone safe...all because he was odd?!?!? This just does not make sense!!!! JMO

The more I read about Adam Lanza, the more I wonder if nutritional issues might not have played a big role in his problems. One of the articles I read mentioned that his mom made him vegan meals. While I don't know Adam's mental health history, he looks like someone with some severe nutritional deficiencies--which can often greatly exacerbate and even cause psychiatric problems. The brain needs healthy fats and proteins to grow and remain balanced, which is much harder to do on a vegan diet--especially for a growing child. A lot of nutritional deficiencies that cause severe problems in children and young adults can go undiagnosed for years because many doctors don't even look for them. Thyroid issues can also contribute in a similar way, and can also often remain undiagnosed--especially when the emphasis is only on psychiatric diagnoses, without looking for underlying causes.

One of the problems with mental health treatment in this country is that there is not nearly enough emphasis on finding underlying physical causes for many of these kinds of behavioral problems--especially in children and young adults.

It is often much more difficult to make significant dietary changes to help heal a child with behavioral problems than it is to give them a pill, but there is evidence that significant changes can be made this way.

Billions of people are vegetarian and vast majority of them don't kill anyone.

This is probably false or there is MUCH more to the story. I cannot imagine a school dedicating specialty staff to hover over a child due to him being odd. He had to have some sort of past serious occurances to warrent this. Most schools educate the whole student body on bullying, I have never heard of providing bodyguards to keep someone safe...all because he was odd?!?!? This just does not make sense!!!! JMO

He didn't have a bodyguard in high school.<modsnip>

The more I read about Adam Lanza, the more I wonder if nutritional issues might not have played a big role in his problems. One of the articles I read mentioned that his mom made him vegan meals. While I don't know Adam's mental health history, he looks like someone with some severe nutritional deficiencies--which can often greatly exacerbate and even cause psychiatric problems. The brain needs healthy fats and proteins to grow and remain balanced, which is much harder to do on a vegan diet--especially for a growing child. A lot of nutritional deficiencies that cause severe problems in children and young adults can go undiagnosed for years because many doctors don't even look for them. Thyroid issues can also contribute in a similar way, and can also often remain undiagnosed--especially when the emphasis is only on psychiatric diagnoses, without looking for underlying causes.

One of the problems with mental health treatment in this country is that there is not nearly enough emphasis on finding underlying physical causes for many of these kinds of behavioral problems--especially in children and young adults.

It is often much more difficult to make significant dietary changes to help heal a child with behavioral problems than it is to give them a pill, but there is evidence that significant changes can be made this way.
bbm
Welcome to Websleuths!
Please provide a reputable reference link. Thank you. :)

By Lindsay Fitzharris, a medical historian at Queen Mary, University of London

Adam Lanza: the medicalisation of evil
In the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings, why are we so quick
to assume that to commit such a crime Lanza must be 'sick'?

interesting stuff, the rest of it at the link

Interesting. I think I am one who doesn't understand the existence of an evil that could commit such a crime. In my mind there had to be something wrong. I guess it's a mindset.

Our elementary school would have an aide assigned to one student,but most of the time they helped the whole class. They walk with them to any activities that weren't in the classroom,but when I volunteered in the class it never felt like the children in question were being guarded,just had extra help if need be.

We know so little of how brain works. So I don't buy into this "abnormal scan" mambo jumbo.

Some of the brain scan work is fascinating jjenny and you would be surprised at what the scans show. It is truly amazing and well respected work.

Thi sis a fresh story off CNN.COM

Alan Diaz, 20, asked Nancy Lanza how her son was doing.

To Diaz, it seemed that Adam Lanza just disappeared from high school after his sophomore year, but it turns out Lanza, then 16, was taking classes at Western Connecticut State University, a school spokesman said.

It was hard to forget a kid like Adam Lanza.

"I would call him a genius," Diaz said.

Lanza got a 3.26 GPA at WCSU, including an A in a computer class, the school spokesman told CNN, but Lanza took his last class in 2009 and didn't come back.

When Diaz and Lanza were classmates, Diaz went out of his way to include Adam Lanza when few others would, he said.

It worked, for a little while.

Lanza opened up, sometimes telling jokes to the other students. There he'd be, in the same plaid green button-up shirt and his khakis -- the weird kid, telling jokes.

So those few years later, seeing Adam Lanza's mother, Diaz just had to ask. How are things going with Adam?

"When I talked to Nancy that time, about how he was doing, she said he's been going to the (gun) range a lot recently," Diaz told CNN. "That he'd taken that up as a hobby."

For those of you who believe violent videos games and movies are the reason for gun violence, how do you explain other countries which have a much lower rate of gun violence, yet watch the same violent movies, play violent video games too?

Those countries also have much stricter gun control laws. So that playing violent video games, even if they were to incite violent impulses, are not facilitated by an easy access to semi-automatic and assault weapons.

I know. His parents are rich. Was this a public school or private? She pulled him from school at some point. You're right though. I don't know what is true and what is erroneous. I did read something today about the mom wanting to teach him how to cook. I found that odd, being he was already 20 years old. JMO

bbm
Welcome to Websleuths!
Please provide a reputable reference link. Thank you. :)

Pensfan, just tonight while seeing the photo of AL on HLN I commented to my daughter that he looked skeletal or anorexic. The photo is the one where he is looking dead-center and his eyes are so wide open, the whites under the iris is showing. As a nurse, if I were assigned to his care, I would definitely have some questions about his nutritional status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966