Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I just read that! How weird is it that we're having this conversation and up pops the first article I've seen and written in the last couple of hours saying she left him home alone?!

Lots of media lurking here, this exact same thing has happened in quite a few cases that I have followed on WS... We had discussed certain things and BAM there it is in print in the media!!!!!!!

This sounds like he had threatened her!

"Marsha Lanza revealed that Nancy had traveled to nine cities in three countries because she wanted out of the mansion she shared with her troubled son Adam - and could have known the end was coming."
"According to Headline News, Nancy Lanza had left Adam alone while she went on a mini-break to Bretton Woods in New Hampshire - something she often did."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-Adam-left-home-gun-spree.html#ixzz2FZ7pp0mT
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

This is from Mayo Clinic site:

Because self-injury is often done impulsively, it can be considered an impulse-control behavior problem. Self-injury may be linked to a variety of mental disorders, such as depression, eating disorders and borderline personality disorder.

Thank you for this!!! And for quoting a "reputable" cite. I cringe when someone posts Wikopedia as reputable-because it has been hammered into my brain------>:banghead: since I entered college-NEVER ever EVER cite Wikopedia.

"Marsha Lanza revealed that Nancy had traveled to nine cities in three countries because she wanted out of the mansion she shared with her troubled son Adam - and could have known the end was coming."
"According to Headline News, Nancy Lanza had left Adam alone while she went on a mini-break to Bretton Woods in New Hampshire - something she often did."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-Adam-left-home-gun-spree.html#ixzz2FZ7pp0mT

I think aunt Marsha means end of the world, since she is the one who claims Nancy was a survivalist.

I don't think it is that odd that she left him alone for short periods of time. He was not mentally disabled or slow. He was extremely intelligent, but emotionally withdrawn and had some deficits. But he was probably high functioning in terms of taking care of things at the home. It was initially reported that he had OCD. So he probably made sure the doors were locked and the stove was off, for example.

My family tried for years to have my brother committed, because he thought the TV was speaking to him and wanted him to carry out certain tasks. And he thought certain people were out to get him, and were sent there by the CIA. But he was often home alone and could cook for himself and take a shower and feed the dogs. It is hard to explain, but on some level he was competent; yet totally nuts.

I noted that my granddaughter's elementary school is taking extra precautions. Classrooms that have windows to the outside (that is what I could see being in carpool) have 9 windows. Normally there are no blinds/curtains and I can see into the rooms while in the carpool line. I noticed this am and pm that all blinds were down and closed. I asked my granddaughter about it and she said that was new and didn't know why (2nd grade) she also mentioned that no one at school had outdoor recess this week and that they stayed indoors and watched movies. Today when I picked her up monitors were handing out flyers about how to obtain help for persons/children with possible social/mental problems. I thought that was interesting.

Makes the story from the "Marine" Joshua, a little more credible...(maybe)
I wonder if he got a mental health check there?
eta: as in tried to enlist, maybe that is why the range visits stopped 6 months ago?

Doesn't sound like he got that far, Mom headed him off at the pass by pointing out a few realities of enlisted life. He certainly wouldn't have made it through the psyche evals, but I for one wish he'd at least taken them.

Doesn't sound like he got that far, Mom headed him off at the pass by pointing out a few realities of enlisted life. He certainly wouldn't have made it through the psyche evals, but I for one wish he'd at least taken them.

I would wonder if he could even verbally interact during an interview?

Normal people do not shoot up schools. I'd bet my left kidney he had abnormal brain scans and/or chemistry.

Nobody expects the dx to explain why, they expect understanding the dx to help us prevent future tragedies. That's all.

Just because someone with Aspergers(if that is what he had) goes on a shooting rampage, doesn't mean anyone else with it will. Everyone is different. How will this dx help prevent future tragedies?

the diagnosis will not explain WHY and the diagnosis will not prevent future tragedies. Evil lurks everywhere and comes in every shape and form.

AL seemed to have alot of strikes against him.
1. He had some kind of mental illness
2. He had a mother that introduced him to guns
3. He had a mother that was pushing him to enter the real world (something Im sure was a HUGE fear for him
4. He had several failures in the last couple of years.... his german college course, his dad remarrying, etc
5. He wanted to join the military, his mother didn't think it was right for him.
6. The possibility of his mom putting him in a facility????
7. Im sure he heard over and over again how successful his brother was doing, did he compare himself to him....jealousy?
8. Depression?
9. Mom leaves to go on vacations, leaves him alone

Could all of these combined, make him snap and go on a shooting rampage? I think so. If they diagnos him with autism, aspergers, schizophrenia or a chemical imbalance or whatever, I do not see how it will help us to prevent another tragedy. JMO MOO

Thanks. This article makes a lot of sense. I think all the theories we have come up with give us a clue as to why he killed his mother, but I can't find any feasible explanation as to why he killed 20 small children and their teachers and leaders. What could possibly have motivated him to do this horrible thing at the school. jmo

I think aunt Marsha means end of the world, since she is the one who claims Nancy was a survivalist.

:what: oh...:floorlaugh:

I noted that my granddaughter's elementary school is taking extra precautions. Classrooms that have windows to the outside (that is what I could see being in carpool) have 9 windows. Normally there are no blinds/curtains and I can see into the rooms while in the carpool line. I noticed this am and pm that all blinds were down and closed. I asked my granddaughter about it and she said that was new and didn't know why (2nd grade) she also mentioned that no one at school had outdoor recess this week and that they stayed indoors and watched movies. Today when I picked her up monitors were handing out flyers about how to obtain help for persons/children with possible social/mental problems. I thought that was interesting.

School guards near Pittsburgh were not armed last Friday. On Monday they were armed.
http://www.wtae.com/news/local/butl...dy/-/10928542/17800162/-/7jyuf8z/-/index.html

Hi, I seem to remember my husband saying they had some sort of psychological testing when he went in the Army in 1952. I cant back it up, have to check web. My husband passed in'06.. it makes sense to test them. I guess he passed the test, they kept him..:seeya:

Makes the story from the "Marine" Joshua, a little more credible...(maybe)
I wonder if he got a mental health check there?
eta: as in tried to enlist, maybe that is why the range visits stopped 6 months ago?

Good point, maybe so.

Mini-break: Nancy Lanza checked into the Omni Mount Washington Resort at 12:10pm on Tuesday, December 11, and checked out at 12:27pm on Thursday

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-Adam-left-home-gun-spree.html#ixzz2FZDxKQBX

hmmm so did her departure for her mini vacation anger him and push him over the edge.....

Just because someone with Aspergers(if that is what he had) goes on a shooting rampage, doesn't mean anyone else with it will. Everyone is different. How will this dx help prevent future tragedies?

the diagnosis will not explain WHY and the diagnosis will not prevent future tragedies. Evil lurks everywhere and comes in every shape and form.

AL seemed to have alot of strikes against him.
1. He had some kind of mental illness
2. He had a mother that introduced him to guns
3. He had a mother that was pushing him to enter the real world (something Im sure was a HUGE fear for him
4. He had several failures in the last couple of years.... his german college course, his dad remarrying, etc
5. He wanted to join the military, his mother didn't think it was right for him.
6. The possibility of his mom putting him in a facility????
7. Im sure he heard over and over again how successful his brother was doing, did he compare himself to him....jealousy?
8. Depression?

Could all of these combined, make him snap and go on a shooting rampage? I think so. If they diagnos him with autism, aspergers, schizophrenia or a chemical imbalance or whatever, I do not see how it will help us to prevent another tragedy. JMO MOO

Major Depression and isolation! When he was pulled out of the public school at 16, he lost any semblance of friends and peer contact (except on Xbox live first person shooter games).
----------------------------

Dr. Drew Show: The residential psych facility in Newtown, CT was shut down for lack of funds.

Hi, I seem to remember my husband saying they had some sort of psychological testing when he went in the Army in 1952. I cant back it up, have to check web. My husband passed in'06.. it makes sense to test them. I guess he passed the test, they kept him..:seeya:
Of course he did!
:waitasec:Then there seems to always be the random guys that passes the screens and
still goes out and commits suicide during basic training...

Happened to my x son in law's platoon... They had to go on suicide watch...
:truce:

Of course he did!
:waitasec:Then there seems to always be the random guys that passes the screens and
still goes out and commits suicide during basic training...

Happened to my x son in law's platoon... They had to go on suicide watch...
:truce:

I don't think AL would ever pass the screen due to the many quirks he apparently had.

Thank you for this!!! And for quoting a "reputable" cite. I cringe when someone posts Wikopedia as reputable-because it has been hammered into my brain------>:banghead: since I entered college-NEVER ever EVER cite Wikopedia.

Using wiki online isn't to provide a precise academic reference, it's to give a lay-person with little background in whatever subject a basic run-down in an easy to follow and easy to read format. It's generally really good for that.

Wiki is not excluded from research because it's excessively faulty, it's just not a legitimate source, because it's a summary of multiple sources. Which is basically what you are supposed to be doing when you write a research paper. Regurgitating someone else's summary is not considered academically honest- thus no wiki as a source. That doesn't mean the reference list down at the bottom of wiki isn't awesome and accurate- they often times are quite helpful!

IOW- Wiki is not a bad thing for sharing in a general sense. It's a great easy to read summary for people who many not have as much of the "backstory" in any given subject. I LOVE wiki for casual use, or to find new sources in a difficult subject... and I'm a grad student.

Mini-break: Nancy Lanza checked into the Omni Mount Washington Resort at 12:10pm on Tuesday, December 11, and checked out at 12:27pm on Thursday

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-Adam-left-home-gun-spree.html#ixzz2FZDxKQBX

hmmm so did her departure for her mini vacation anger him and push him over the edge.....

IDK about this kid
like your avatar... I flip flop!
Did he think because she'd been leaving so often that she was going to
abandon him for doomsday? Killed her then realized :waitasec: wait!
I am still alone!
psychotic break? rampage?

no, LE said it was PLANNED.. gah~ :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads