Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think her delusion with him began here - bringing over my post from the last thread because I found the statement I bolded interesting.

SailorMoon
Let's go Patriots!!! Rock it Brady!

A relation said Mrs Lanza pulled her son out of school in his mid-teens and taught him at home as she was unhappy with education board plans for him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl....html?vm=r&s=1

Wonder what those plans were?? IMO - I think his mother thought she could control everything and keep everything all cool and normal. For appearances. I want to know if she really did all that travelling. <modsnip>
Last edited by nursebeeme; Today at 03:04 PM. Reason: I will be bumping up the rules on family members in the next thread

Apologies for the OT!! I am SO not a "prepper" but I confess I watched a show last night about doomsday. The "instructor" told the "student" the best thing to have to protect yourself is -----(and it isn't a gun, lol)

BEAR REPPELLENT!!

~so if you have to roam...roam with me, and my bear repellent

I actually was thinking about bear repellent as a means of defense. I live in Alaska and we carry bear mace when we hike. It actually is more effective than guns for protection against bear. It is like super mace. It will cause damage to a human but not kill them. It isn't to be used lightly but it could potentially stop someone. It goes off fast and has a decent range and totally debilitates the person. When I read about the serial killer that targets people in remote areas I am going to make sure it is on me when I am hiking. If teachers had it might not be able to stop it but it does have potential. I don't know that it is a good idea though because if kids heard about it and got a hold of it it could be bad. It can cause permanent damage. It is meant to be strong enough to stop a bear in their tracks.

ETA: Actually thinking about it more bear spray wouldn't be a good idea because if not used correctly it can spray the wrong person and cause serious harm and I would be worried that someone might use it in situation where they wouldn't use a gun plus it really should not be used indoors and would probably seriously injure the sprayer too. It might even be deadly to people. My fleeting thought was a bad idea.

Lol. I found that stuff when I was looking for mace. It is a big can of bear mace. It is strong and sprays wide and far. You can't carry that on an every day walk. It wouldn't be bad for preppers, but all canned sprays diminish in a few years time, most now come with expiration dates on them.

Ohhhh NO---just when I thought I found the "perfect" protection...lol!! The can they had didn't look real big-(but I think they kept it in a backpack)

I have been considering taking all of my books out of my bookbag and putting my prepper items there. Water and bear reppellent. (sighs)

We don't really know what or why she did what she did or if she should have or not, etc. The whole story of NL and her troubled son seems to be vague and hidden in a way. I'm asking questions I'd like to know the answers to in this case and in general too.

Was there denial involved? Or did she hope she could will the problem away if only she found the right nitch for AL? I'd like to hear all sides to the history of this person's development. One man, on NG I think, said he had daily interface with AL at one time and that he never exhibited violence. Someone wrote before in these threads that the antisocial quiet behavior personality might be more indicative of someone capable of harming others than someone who acts out (poor impulse control) every now and then. We've had many examples lately of this quiet personality type going off the deep end. Time to take notice.

Mental health issues are very difficult on a family. I'm not certain people always know where to turn. It took my bil two decades to admit he needed continual help and to stay on his meds, etc. When he was on the streets, no one in the family had any power over him at all. But that's not the case here - it's more about what was AL's real issues and ultimately what triggered him to explode before he could be stopped/contained. Like, I wonder, did he ever express himself? If not, what was NL thinking would ever change that?

The whole dynamic surrounding AL is crazy sounding yet peeps weren't concerned?

I'm sort of wondering if he was capable of succeeding in college, even a special needs one. Maybe he knew he wouldn't be able to function, but mom just kept thinking it would all work out?

She didn't trust him with stove or microwave safety, but he was fine to stay home by himself for days? (I'm sorry, but that is really irrational, IMO.)

My first thought here was that she meant it like she didn't want him cooking because she wanted to feel like she was still looking out for him even though she was going away for a few days. More of a guilt thing, or a caring mom away from home thing.

(It's interesting how much time she was spending away from home however, like a lot, like as much as she could get away with without completely moving out and just leaving him there.)

Then I thought she felt VERY uncomfortable in the house with him. For good reason. Her instincts were screaming at her that it wasn't safe.

Then I remembered that she kept unsecured guns in the house and took him to shooting ranges, and my mind went straight back into its early confused state, and I decided that I just cannot wrap my mind around this until we hear more facts.

Irrational .. ITA.

Ohhhh NO---just when I thought I found the "perfect" protection...lol!! The can they had didn't look real big-(but I think they kept it in a backpack)

I have been considering taking all of my books out of my bookbag and putting my prepper items there. Water and bear reppellent. (sighs)

It will fit in the backpack. Just not very small like the cans of pepper spray on a keychain.

Have we heard from the child at the school that "played dead" and survived?

We don't really know what or why she did what she did or if she should have or not, etc. The whole story of NL and her troubled son seems to be vague and hidden in a way. I'm asking questions I'd like to know the answers to in this case and in general too.

Was there denial involved? Or did she hope she could will the problem away if only she found the right nitch for AL? I'd like to hear all sides to the history of this person's development. One man, on NG I think, said he had daily interface with AL at one time and that he never exhibited violence. Someone wrote before in these threads that the antisocial quiet behavior personality might be more indicative of someone capable of harming others than someone who acts out (poor impulse control) every now and then. We've had many examples lately of this quiet personality type going off the deep end. Time to take notice.

Mental health issues are very difficult on a family. I'm not certain people always know where to turn. It took my bil two decades to admit he needed continual help and to stay on his meds, etc. When he was on the streets, no one in the family had any power over him at all. But that's not the case here - it's more about what was AL's real issues and ultimately what triggered him to explode before he could be stopped/contained. Like, I wonder, did he ever express himself? If not, what was NL thinking would ever change that?

The whole dynamic surrounding AL is crazy sounding yet peeps weren't concerned?

I don't know if it was denial or just keeping up appearances and saying "Aspergers" when it was really something else. One report today said she had recently taken him to a therapist as he was getting worse. Wonder what worse means? What signs, reactions/actions? The report just said he would not communicate with her for a few days. The confusing and contradictory tidbits we get do not help.

I'm sort of wondering if he was capable of succeeding in college, even a special needs one. Maybe he knew he wouldn't be able to function, but mom just kept thinking it would all work out?
If Nancy was trying to get conservatorship over AXXX, he wasn't headed to college, IMO. He was going to a residential psych facility. Many people would pass negative judgement on a parent that institutionalized their child, so I think Nancy told her friends he was going far, far away to college in the state of Washington.

I don't know if it was denial or just keeping up appearances and saying "Aspergers" when it was really something else. One report today said she had recently taken him to a therapist as he was getting worse. Wonder what worse means? What signs, reactions/actions? The report just said he would not communicate with her for a few days. The confusing and contradictory tidbits we get do not help.

There's definitely denial going on. Whether it's for the sake of keeping up appearances or just because she couldn't let go of the beautiful little boy he had once been. Her boy was disturbed and she kept guns in the house, that's denial.

If Nancy was trying to get conservatorship over AXXX, he wasn't headed to college, IMO. He was going to a residential psych facility. Many people would pass negative judgement on a parent that institutionalized their child, so I think Nancy told her friends he was going far, far away to college in the state of Washington.

And I'm convinced in those two days before the murders Adam spent his time going through her computer and found all the correspondence between herself and friends, research into possible placements for him, emails to lawyers, emails to her ex-husband, emails to her family, PM's in facebook, her membership and posts in forums or online support groups, and research into psychiatric conditions, she had done.

Well, that could be too. I wish we knew, but it could be difficult even for authorities to figure out what was going on? It certainly sounds like some of the friends either have things off a bit or they didn't quite know the truth. They explain it as if one option was just for Adam to move out on his own!? Get a job?

And I'm convinced in those two days before the murders Adam spent his time going through her computer and found all the correspondence between herself and friends, research into possible placements for him, emails to lawyers, emails to her ex-husband, emails to her family, PM's in facebook, her membership and posts in forums or online support groups, and research into psychiatric conditions, she had done.

If that's the case there is still the other end that will have the record of her correspondence! :great:

I don't know where your school district is located, but this sounds nothing like the school districts I've been involved in - actually it's just the opposite. The "average" students, the "easy students who go with the flow" actually get the least amount of attention. The children who struggle academically, have learning disabilities or special needs, or those with behavior problems receive the most attention and have the most intervention programs in place to address their needs.
imo

Wow.* I agree average students don't receive much extra attention to help make them greater. The easy, go with the flow students are the students who excel and make everyone and the school look good. That's my point about the teacher leading in his or her own style and the student must be able to follow and fit whatever that is. I'd measure a teacher's success as to how they're able to motivate the average or struggling student (not those with mental illness or special conditions) to improve their performance. I'd like to see a way to do that. Those teachers exist but aren't the majority imo.

Some districts have developed good inclusion programs but that's a different angle from what I was thinking about. Kimster's post launched me into a personal observation tangent that has always bothered me about the climate in most of the schools I'm familiar with - going back to when I was a kid.

HC said it takes a village but I think it's thrown back on the parent/s whenever there's an educational challenge. Just imo. If one has a glory kid, they won't be able to relate.

*I began with 'wow' because my message must have been unclear due to the response it received. I try!

If that's the case there is still the other end that will have the record of her correspondence! :great:

Question: were her computers smashed or just his? I've only heard of the one hard drive which was smashed to pieces...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95