Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BREAKING: City of San Antonio officials say the released and re-quarantined COVID-19 patient went to North Star Mall before returning to isolation. She was at the mall from 5:30 to 7:30 PM Saturday, according to Metro Health. The patient was asymptomatic on release. @TPRNews
Joey Palacios on Twitter

Sorry if this has been posted!
What the heck? What was so important at the mall?

Unfortunately, I totally agree... just didn’t want to say it....

I have to add that I’ve been extremely disappointed by the CDC and other government agencies. The US is usually poised to “lead in response” to crisis situations. So far, there have been way too many fumbles. I feel like they’ve been caught with their pants down! This breakout has really just gotten starter and they’re already in catch up mode. I hope they can get it together enough to at least minimize the potential damage. South Korea’s testing abilities and implementation has made ours look like a bad joke thus far. I’m not sure what’s going on behind the scenes, but they need to get their act together ASAP.

IMO
There is world-wide virus look-out group that also somehow didn’t get ahead of this.

Namaste and good morning folks! Just got out of yoga.... we’ll see how far that gets me today ;)

I’m pages behind on this thread this morning. I’ll catch up as soon as I can. I’m the meantime I just saw from BNO twitter that there is a new case ON A CRUISE SHIP???!! :eek::eek:

Anyone have quick details on this??

Mr. Stew is an administrator for the division of a major insurer/provider of skilled nursing facilities, including family home care, rehabilitation centers and long term nursing homes in King County, Washington.

Life Care in Kirkland was not one of "his".

He is hitting the ground running this morning. I will share any non HIPPA related interesting information today on this thread for those that are interested.

Replying to my own post from this morning (above).

So the latest from Mr. Stew is that there is one nursing home facility in the county not accepting any patients with COVID-19 symptoms. If they have/had symptoms, they must be tested and negative.

All clinical staff are being fitted today with this:

IIIMEPE00254_149_PM_004.jpg

It's a 3M FT- Respirator Kit.

I'm so thankful they are looking after the caregivers.

Namaste and good morning folks! Just got out of yoga.... we’ll see how far that gets me today ;)

I’m pages behind on this thread this morning. I’ll catch up as soon as I can. I’m the meantime I just saw from BNO twitter that there is a new case ON A CRUISE SHIP???!! :eek::eek:

Anyone have quick details on this??

Not the ship out of Miami that was denied entry to Jamaica?

I had to leave for a while to greet our plumber and probably need to catch up on several pages. While I'm still thinking about it, I wanted to comment on the use of bleach to sanitize public transportation (subway, buses, trains, etc.) and school buses. I rarely use bleach because it can be an asthma trigger along with other strong odors or smoke like ammonia, burning leaves, wood burning fireplaces, etc. Many people with allergies/asthma are sensitive to strong odors and smoke, so I'm not the only one for whom the use of bleach might cause problems. I hope public officials take this into consideration and don't overdo the use of bleach in transportation vessels. I would definitely avoid public transportation as the smell of bleach would probably trigger an asthma episode.

Just want to add the following regarding mortality rate calculations:

The only way to calculate mortality rate is after the fact - it’s not number of deaths as a percentage of the number infected. So, during an outbreak, the scientists take a snapshot of confirmed cases - say the first 1000 reported/confirmed. They have to wait until all 1000 cases are resolved. The mortality rate is calculated based on the number of deaths vs the number of recovered. So if 20 of those 1000 die, and 980 recover, mortality rate would be 2%.

This virus is slow in reaching final outcome, so without taking periodic snapshots, there are way too many confirmed cases hanging in the balance to know where it will end up.

Mortality rate is a variable based on many different factors. In Hubei, the death rate should be assumed to be higher than other locations (at least as it stands now). They were in the midst of the outbreak before it was identified, and even further along before it was publicly acknowledged. Their healthcare system was overloaded and they were unable to provide adequate care to all patients in a timely fashion.

There are still a lot of unknowns about this virus, and the world is far from knowing what the final average mortality rate will be.

Thanks so much for expounding on my first sentence. Right on Moo.

There will be different rates now, vs. when it is just a normal endemic virus that cannot be controlled to the world as is flu (with/without vaccines in stages). Scientists are still looking back and doing research papers as to what the R0 and death rates were for previous ones. We'll have to see where it settles.

Coronavirus fears fuel violent clashes as cruise ship docks on Indian Ocean island

Protesters threw rocks and bottles as they tried to stop a cruise ship docking at their idyllic Indian Ocean island — even though there was no known coronavirus threat, according to reports.

The Sun Princess, flying a British flag and carrying 2,000 passengers, had already been refused entry to Madagascar because it had recently been to Thailand, which has had dozens of confirmed cases of the virus.

At least 30 protesters — many hurling stones and drink containers — then met the ship early Sunday when it docked in Réunion, a French territory off the coast of Africa, according to Agence France-Presse.

Police eventually used tear gas to push back the protests, AFP said, citing the local newspaper Imaz Press Réunion. Videos on social media also showed fires breaking out during violent clashes.

What the heck? What was so important at the mall?

If I was (without knowlegdge here) a quarantined person that was let out... I would perhaps have gone out to freedom by having a dinner to celebrate, or just doing normal shopping. I'm not putting this on the person MOO. They didn't know MOO

I encourage ppl to check on elderly neighbors and their parents to make sure they have the things they need. I made sure my parents were well stocked at their home in Texas so they can stay put for awhile with out having to venture in any store.
What about the elderly that receive home health care? Or require weekly doctor or lab visits because Medicare won’t pay for home health anymore?
I have 4 family members including my parents with respiratory/copd/oxygen/compromised immune/type 1 diabetic/asthma.
My siblings and I are trying to figure what to do to protect them since they are the ones we believe at greatest risk not the general healthy public.

Tune into the @KingCountyTV livestream of our press conference today at 11 am with updates from public health officials on #COVID19 cases in King County. #coronavirus #WAcoronavirus
Public Health Seattle King County Update on COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus on Livestream

Public Health - Seattle & King County on Twitter

Public service announcement. 2 pm eastern. WS runs on eastern time zones. All posts must be in eastern time zones as otherwise, too confusing. Thank you for your attention.

(THIS IS A JOKE before anyone gets upset!) We kept saying that eastern time was needed during the Oscar Pistorius trial ...

Thanks for the heads up Henry. I've signed up for King County alerts on phone, and missed most of them and the ones that I get, are hours late...go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214