Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been following these threads religiously.

I am very concerned about this virus. What is confusing me is that I've never been concerned like this before about illnesses such as this....SARS, bird flu etc. I never worried about going out in public, but I am now and my state doesn't even have any confirmed cases! Have I lost my mind?

I have a hair appt. on Thursday and for days I've been wrestling with cancelling it. My head tells me that would be ridiculous to not go. But my gut tells me otherwise. I decided to talk to my husband about it, knowing that he would confirm that I should go ahead and go. To my amazement he said "Why would you go and expose yourself to a potential illness just to get your hair done?"

I am one that if exposed to the flu, I always get it. In fact, flu hit me on New Year's Eve day and I just got over it a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for letting me vent. And, excuse my gray hair if I don't end up going to the salon lol.

My employer had an urgent online meeting about the virus and to stay home if sick. They have also brought in a lot of disinfectants and more hand sanitizer. We were also asked to complete a survey ASAP (over the weekend at the latest) to find out who has company computers at home etc (in case they have to close our buildings and sanitize or so many people out sick and can work at home) I think it is worse that what we know. I also have 2 weeks of food for both my son and I and our pets. (You never know, I was just sick from the flu, pneumonia and asthma attack the last 3 weeks and had to stay home)

You know what I wondered? I wondered if it wasn’t already here earlier. Last year I caught a “mild cold”. It led to me being out of work for a couple weeks. And a long recovery. I went to urgent care twice. On one of those occasions it was insanely packed and I saw doctors rushing in to the center to help due to the crowd. They were sending people to all different departments to be seen because it was so impacted. That’s when they jammed that huge swab into my brain case you test for the flu. I was put on steroids.

Is it possible this thing has been here before?

PS, they also x-rayed me for pneumonia.

I am very concerned about this virus. What is confusing me is that I've never been concerned like this before about illnesses such as this....SARS, bird flu etc. I never worried about going out in public, but I am now and my state doesn't even have any confirmed cases! Have I lost my mind?

I have a hair appt. on Thursday and for days I've been wrestling with cancelling it. My head tells me that would be ridiculous to not go. But my gut tells me otherwise. I decided to talk to my husband about it, knowing that he would confirm that I should go ahead and go. To my amazement he said "Why would you go and expose yourself to a potential illness just to get your hair done?"

I am one that if exposed to the flu, I always get it. In fact, flu hit me on New Year's Eve day and I just got over it a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for letting me vent. And, excuse my gray hair if I don't end up going to the salon lol.

I feel exactly like you.I did not pay any attention to news about Sars or bird flu,but I am really worried about this.

View attachment 235714

China now makes up fewer than 90% of all coronavirus cases for first time: HALF of the countries struck down by outbreaks saw their first cases in the last WEEK amid infection spike in Italy, Iran and South Korea

HOW HAS CHINA'S CORONAVIRUS SPREAD OVER TIME?

The vast majority of confirmed infections of the Wuhan coronavirus have been diagnosed in China.

But almost 70 countries or territories outside of the mainland have also declared infections:

December 31: HUBEI PROVINCE (China)

January 13: THAILAND

January 16: JAPAN

January 20: USA, SOUTH KOREA

January 21: TAIWAN

January 22: MACAU, HONG KONG,

January 23: SINGAPORE

January 24: FRANCE, NEPAL, VIETNAM

January 25: CANADA, AUSTRALIA, MALAYSIA,

January 27: GERMANY, CAMBODIA, SRI LANKA

January 29: FINLAND, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

January 30: ITALY, PHILIPPINES, INDIA

January 31: UK, RUSSIA, SWEDEN, SPAIN

February 1: DIAMOND PRINCESS CRUISE SHIP

February 4: BELGIUM

February 14: EGYPT

February 19: IRAN

February 21: ISRAEL, LEBANON

February 24: KUWAIT, BAHRAIN, AFGHANISTAN, IRAQ, OMAN

February 25: AUSTRIA, CROATIA, SWITZERLAND

February 26: NORTH MACEDONIA, BRAZIL, GREECE, PAKISTAN, GEORGIA, NORWAY, ROMANIA

February 27: ESTONIA, DENMARK, NETHERLANDS, SAN MARINO

February 28: NIGERIA, LITHUANIA, BELARUS, NEW ZEALAND, MEXICO, ICELAND

February 29: MONACO, ECUADOR, QATAR, AZERBAIJAN

March 1: IRELAND, ARMENIA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, CZECHIA, LUXEMBOURG

March 2: INDONESIA, TUNISIA, JORDAN

China now makes up fewer than 90% of all coronavirus cases for first time | Daily Mail Online

Great post to show the chain of states for the virus. Thanks Greg!

Nextstrain

Less than 20 minutes after our last update, we now have another new Italian #SARSCoV2 sequence. Italy/SPL1/2020 (Rome, 2020-01-29) is identical to a genome sampled in Lazio the same day, indicative of an in-country transmission chain separate to the Lombardy outbreak. Nextstrain on Twitter

Nextstrain on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200302_150826.png
    IMG_20200302_150826.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 4
My husband and I binge-watched four of six episodes of “Pandemic” on Netflix tonight. All I can say is WOW! I highly recommend it. On the one hand, it’s so prescient it’s scary. Some of it was filmed only a year ago. But it’s also a fascinating and heartening look at what frontline doctors and researchers are doing all over the world...India, Vietnam, China, Egypt, New York City, San Francisco, Oklahoma, Tucson (a migrant entry center) and here in Oregon (the battle in the legislature against anti-vaxxers)...such wonderful, self-sacrificing people! The episodes cycle through the stories. We couldn’t stop watching!
Hi @Lilibet Thanks for your review of "Pandemic" . Plan to begin my viewing today since I'm self-isolating. Will have a bowl of Trail Mix on hand, but need to restock soon. Maybe early Tues. a.m. while Walmart is quiet and should be restocked.

Now is the time to go, IMO, BEFORE the cases hit your state. Or you have to self-isolate or whatever. I’m going tomorrow and I’m high risk.

Great, son called. He's got the flu and is at work. DH is a physician and instructed him to go right home. I haven't heard any reports regarding coronavirus in the city where he lives, but there's an airport and university in the area. This has become a little more personal.

Oh! Prayers for you and your family.

I find this quite commendable by Amazon.

They must be experiencing a tremendous increase in orders right now. Well maybe from my Zipcode area....

Incidentally, Amazon makes very little from their on-line sales business. It's their server storage capacity worldwide that makes them most of their money.

I wish the media would report more on the importance of hand washing instead of constantly trying to sell us hand sanitizer which will ultimately makes some bacteria more tolerant of diseases.

CDC recommends washing hands with soap and water whenever possible because handwashing reduces the amounts of all types of germs and chemicals on hands. But if soap and water are not available, using a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol can help you avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others. The guidance for effective handwashing and use of hand sanitizer in community settings was developed based on data from a number of studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway