Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish the media would report more on the importance of hand washing instead of constantly trying to sell us hand sanitizer which will ultimately makes some bacteria more tolerant of diseases.

CDC recommends washing hands with soap and water whenever possible because handwashing reduces the amounts of all types of germs and chemicals on hands. But if soap and water are not available, using a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol can help you avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others. The guidance for effective handwashing and use of hand sanitizer in community settings was developed based on data from a number of studies.
Yet my doctor’s office was full of hand sanitizer and even the doc was using it.

New coronavirus case in Sonoma County, California
"The patient had recently returned from a cruise ship that departed from San Francisco to Mexico"
h/t @WildlingM
Local emergency declared in Sonoma County after person tests presumptive positive for coronavirus
Steve Lookner on Twitter

Authorities said the patient had recently returned from a cruise ship that departed from San Francisco to Mexico. The patient, who has been in Sonoma County for 10 days, is showing symptoms of coronavirus and is currently in stable condition and under isolation at a local hospital.
Local emergency declared in Sonoma County after person tests presumptive positive for coronavirus

Hmmmm...that’s kind of out in the boonies. I wonder where he picked it up. Possibly Washington?

It is AMAZING what I've learned from @Henry2326 has posted about the genomes which shows where the transmissions are from. Within days/weeks.. wow!

It is so shocking and amazing that this is being done. I've never even seen a movie which spoke to doing such! They already know where folks obtained the disease by serotyping even BEFORE the contact tracing was done. And it's shared by the world for each of the countries in the world (..hope the US continues to contribute) Just gobsmacked!

Thanks Henry. An amazing eyeopening twitter feed that is following such.

Man quarantined in Nebraska describes symptoms to MSNBC

“You can hear my voice is still raspy. If I do a lot of exercising I do get a shortness of breath. But I only had the virus for one day of a high fever, which I got on the plane after leaving the Diamond Princess.”

NBC has a blog about the virus, with continual updates:

Coronavirus updates live: 4 more deaths in Washington state

New coronavirus case in Sonoma County, California
"The patient had recently returned from a cruise ship that departed from San Francisco to Mexico"
h/t @WildlingM
Steve Lookner on Twitter

Authorities said the patient had recently returned from a cruise ship that departed from San Francisco to Mexico. The patient, who has been in Sonoma County for 10 days, is showing symptoms of coronavirus and is currently in stable condition and under isolation at a local hospital.

Maybe this was the “cruise ship” person BNO news desk mentioned earlier?

We talked early on about how the high smoking rate in China contributed to the death rate there from the virus. Does that still hold true?
China’s cases of Covid-19 are finally declining. A WHO expert explains why.
March 2 2020
''Julia Belluz
While deaths are occurring at higher rates in elderly people, there have been reports of young, otherwise healthy people dying, too. What’s going on there? And is there any talk of how China’s high smoking rates may be contributing to these deaths?

Bruce Aylward
[Smoking] definitely does because the co-morbid conditions makes [Covid-19] worse. Over the long term, we know smokers get cardiovascular and lung disease, and these are all co-factors in terms of a higher probability of mortality. From that perspective, we know it’s a problem. In some of the mortality [research,] we see a higher mortality rate in males than females in China. There’s a suspicion that may be a function of differences in smoking patterns: There’s very high smoking rates among men in China compared to women.

We spent a lot of time asking doctors who these people in their 30s and 40s are who are rapidly progressing and getting this disease and dying. They’d say, “We don’t know.” I’d ask, “What about smoking?” I never found one who said yes to that question. It’s something I couldn’t get an answer to.''

A big difference in comparison of this CoVid-19 with the Influenza virus - it sure seems (IMO) to be spreading much faster. Anyone remember hearing all these updates of how many contracted the flu this winter? Or in winters past?

For all of 2019:

• There have been as many as 3.7 million cases of the flu and up to 3,300 flu-related deaths in the United States, according to the CDC.

Flu Season May Peak Just in Time for the Holidays

For the 2019/2020 season there has been a 6.9% death rate in the US. And 126 pediatric deaths thus far. Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report (FluView)

We’ve had 10,000 deaths in the US this flu season thus far from the flu:
The flu has already killed 10,000 across US as world frets over coronavirus

Stop Touching Your Face!

It’s a quirk of human nature that we touch our eyes, noses and mouths all day long. It’s also a major way we pick up infections like coronavirus.
Great reminder BDE. I' ve tried to make note of all the times my hands move to my face and eyes......a lot more than I would have guessed

How Iran Became a New Epicenter of the Coronavirus Outbreak
By Robin Wright

February 28, 2020
''Iran’s official counts—three hundred and eighty-eight confirmed cases and thirty-four deaths, as of Friday—may be grossly underreported. In an early analysis published on Monday, six Canadian epidemiologists calculated that Iran probably had more than eighteen thousand cases of coronavirus. Their mathematical model was based on Iran’s official death toll, the disease’s infection and mortality rates worldwide, inflections in other countries traced to Iran, flight data, and travel patterns. “Given the low volumes of air travel to countries with identified cases of COVID-19 with origin in Iran (such as Canada), it is likely that Iran is currently experiencing a COVID-19 epidemic of significant size,” they concluded. Because of the wide margin of error, the number of cases could range from as low as thirty-seven hundred to as high as fifty-three thousand. In the end, the Canadian epidemiologists settled on eighteen thousand three hundred, with a ninety-five-per-cent confidence rate. All of their estimates are many, many times higher than the figures that Iran has reported. Their model was published on medRxiv, which posts preliminary research that has not yet been peer-reviewed.

Kamiar Alaei, a widely recognized Iranian global health-policy expert who co-founded an innovative H.I.V. clinic in Tehran, also emphasized the tricky and still evolving mathematics of coronavirus contagion. “The mortality rate elsewhere is around one to two per cent, and three per cent in China,” Alaei, who is now a co-president of the Institute for International Health and Education, in Albany, told me. “Iran has announced thirty-four deaths, although some unofficial reports claim it is at least a hundred and thirty-four and even two hundred. So if the death rate is only one per cent, then the total number of cases would be between thirty-four hundred and ten thousand or even twenty thousand.”

Maybe stubbornly LICKING shrines that millions visit could be part of the issue. They should be embarrassed.

We talked early on about how the high smoking rate in China contributed to the death rate there from the virus. Does that still hold true?

That was spoken to, but MOO it will take months/years for them to determine. But as with any respiratory disease, smoking causes COPD.

COPD is yes, a cormorbid and high risk group. And COPD is very likely from smoking. COPD = high risk = That is a fact from the stats we have shared.

China’s cases of Covid-19 are finally declining. A WHO expert explains why.
March 2 2020

''Julia Belluz. In some of the mortality [research,] we see a higher mortality rate in males than females in China. There’s a suspicion that may be a function of differences in smoking patterns: There’s very high smoking rates among men in China compared to women.

The death rates in the graphs released from China for older men are dramatically higher than for and age-matched cohort of women.

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard has suggested Australians think twice before shaking hands or kissing as the first human-to-human transmission of coronavirus inside Australia is confirmed.

Speaking to reporters yesterday, Mr Hazzard advised people to be “cautious but not alarmed” and said there was a number of steps people could be taking to keep themselves healthy.
First human-to-human transmissions in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member