Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
#BREAKING: 2 new coronavirus cases reported in Santa Clara County; 1 person tests presumptive positive in San Mateo County 2 new coronavirus cases reported in Santa Clara County; 1 tests presumptive positive in San Mateo County
KRON4 News on Twitter

According to officials, the eighth case is an adult man who was a household contact of a confirmed case in another county. He remains under self-isolation at home.

The ninth case is an adult man who was a household contact of a previously confirmed case in Santa Clara County. He is also under self-isolation at home.

The adult patient in San Mateo County has been hospitalized and is in isolation, according to county officials.

That patient has no known exposure to coronavirus through travel or through contact with a confirmed coronavirus patient. The source of this patient’s exposure is unknown.
2 new coronavirus cases reported in Santa Clara County; 1 tests presumptive positive in San Mateo County

Finance ministers and central bank chiefs from G7 countries will hold talks on Tuesday amid rising global uncertainty over the coronavirus epidemic, the US Treasury has said.

Wall Street ended last week with losses not seen since the 2008 global financial crisis.

Global central banks have also promised to act to “ensure stability” in financial markets as the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, a research organisation made up of mostly advanced economies, cited the coronavirus as the “greatest danger” since the GFC.

“The OECD calls on governments to act immediately to limit the spread of the coronavirus, protect people and businesses from its effects and shore up demand in the economy,” it said in its interim outlook.

Virus presents ‘greatest danger’ to economy since GFC

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard has suggested Australians think twice before shaking hands or kissing as the first human-to-human transmission of coronavirus inside Australia is confirmed.

Speaking to reporters yesterday, Mr Hazzard advised people to be “cautious but not alarmed” and said there was a number of steps people could be taking to keep themselves healthy.
First human-to-human transmissions in Australia
Oh my goodness #7 on this thread !....Australia wants people to quit smooching ????....:eek:............moo

There are now 100 cases of coronavirus in the US

There are 100 cases of the novel coronavirus in the United States, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as well as state and local governments.

According to the CDC, there are 48 cases from repatriated citizens. According to CNN Health’s tally of US cases that are detected and tested in the United States through US public health systems, there are 52 cases in 11 states. Bringing the total of coronavirus cases to 100.

This includes presumptive positive cases that tested positive in a public health lab and are pending confirmation from the CDC, and confirmed cases have received positive results from the CDC.

Here's a breakdown of the 52 US cases:

• Arizona – 1
  • California – 18
  • Florida — 2
  • Illinois — 4
  • Massachusetts —1
  • New York — 1
  • Oregon — 3
  • Rhode Island — 2
  • Washington state — 18 (includes 6 fatalities)
  • Wisconsin — 1
  • New Hampshire — 1

Coronavirus news and live updates: Global death toll tops 3,000 - CNN

It would interest me to know if any who died had received a flu shot and if not, why not. I’m sure there are medical reasons to abstain, but the average person who doesn’t get a flu shot apparently doesn’t realize how deadly it can be.
JMO

Good question. This article states that 85% of kids in past seasons that were studied, who died from the flu, weren’t vaccinated. But the 2018 study it was about 75% of kids who died, and were old enough to get vaccinated (and whose health histories they had, which was 56 out of 63 deaths), but were not vaccinated. Only 26% of those kids had been vaccinated.

Air New Zealand has slashed fares to less than $9 this morning to win over passengers scared off flying due to the coronavirus epidemic. ( NZ $9 = USD $5.62 )

The airline put 1000 domestic $NZ9 ($8.65) fares on sale on its Grabaseat website this morning, with all of them sold out in minutes, the New Zealand Heraldreported.

The sale came days after the airline slashed return flights between Australia and New Zealand to as low as $128 as it tried to get people flying despite coronavirus fears.

Other airlines are dropping fares to get people back on planes during a downturn caused by virus anxiety, including a Chinese airline that’s selling tickets for about $6.
$9 airfares sell out instantly

Hi @Lilibet Thanks for your review of "Pandemic" . Plan to begin my viewing today since I'm self-isolating. Will have a bowl of Trail Mix on hand, but need to restock soon. Maybe early Tues. a.m. while Walmart is quiet and should be restocked.

From experience, don't go to a store with $422 of stuff and try to check out at 11:45 pm... when they only have self checkout available on your " p " runs. *waves to @margarita25 *

Thank goodness I got the manager who grabbed someone to ring up my order and took a stock man from the floor to bag. Who knew? I was just trying to go when low folks in store and never thought that checkout lines were not open.

Hi @Lilibet Thanks for your review of "Pandemic" . Plan to begin my viewing today since I'm self-isolating. Will have a bowl of Trail Mix on hand, but need to restock soon. Maybe early Tues. a.m. while Walmart is quiet and should be restocked.

Let us know what you think of “Pandemic” @Chelly. Enjoy your trail mix!

Hi everyone! I’m at work at the hospital today. Would anyone be kind enough to share today’s numbers or new cases in the U.S. ? TIA!
Updated 28 minutes ago.. lots more at link..
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/coronavirus-covid-19-march-2-1.5481981
''The latest:
  • WHO chief says number of new cases in China continues to decline, with most new cases still in Hubei province.
  • Outbreaks in South Korea, Italy, Iran and Japan are 'our greatest concern,' WHO director says.
  • More than 89,000 cases of COVID-19 reported around the world with more than 3,000 dead.
  • U.S. death toll rises to 6.
  • Ontario reports 3 new cases, bringing the total in Canada to 27. Public health officials here say risk from coronavirus low.
  • WATCH: Infectious disease expert talks about COVID-19 and the possibility of more cases in Canada.
South Korea's viral outbreak surged and millions of children in Japan stayed home from school Monday as officials wrestled with the epidemic in more than 60 countries.

The number of new virus cases in China dropped to its lowest level in six weeks Monday and hundreds of patients at the outbreak's epicentre were being released from hospital, while a grimmer reality set in elsewhere, with swelling infection numbers and growing dread that no area could fend off the illness.

China, where the epidemic began in December, reported 202 new cases on the mainland over the previous 24 hours, with another 42 deaths. That brings the country's total number of cases to 80,026 with 2,912 deaths recorded in all. The city of Wuhan accounted for most of the new cases, but also saw 2,570 patients released.

China still has about three-fourths of the world's nearly 89,000 cases worldwide, but outbreaks were surging in other countries. More than 3,000 people have died worldwide.''

from ABC News:

"The CDC recently broadened its guidelines for who should be tested for the new virus to include people with symptoms but without a travel history to virus hot zones.

More testing will bring more confirmed cases, experts said, but they cautioned that does not mean the virus is gaining speed. Instead, the testing is likely to reveal a picture of the virus' spread that was previously invisible."

More testing sheds light on how virus is spreading in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member