Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a scary vision:

You know how there are those dental picks, flossers with the plastic on them?
Plackers, etc?

Well I see those quite frequently thrown on the ground and it totally grossed me out.

I hope the day never comes when we walk down the street and see dirty masks on the ground.

There are some people who still litter these days, etc.

The thought of biohazardous waste lying and flying around is creepy.

This doesn’t seem to be an outlandish possibility to me. I hope I’m wrong about this.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people are stockpiling merchandise in hopes of reselling, doubling or tripling the price when everything is sold out and unattainable.

I was hoping to buy some hand sanitizer online.
I reported a seller on amazon trying to sell a 3 pack of purell hand sanitizer (2fl 0z ) for $27.99 a third party seller.
Price gouging!
From the recipes and ideas from fellow websleuths. I will be making my own hand sanitizer. Thank You

I was truly encouraged by the US stock market rebound today. Maybe the stockholder's wives all went supply shopping? Just sort of kidding. I know that I feel better that I've gotten supplies for my family, and a bit extra to share, if it comes to that.
This thread has been immensely helpful.
I feel like I know what to do to alleviate the odds of catching this.
If, I catch it, I know that I will live through it.
At this point, it's others that I worry about, mostly about poorer countries.
Watching this play out on our world's stage is going to be tough.

Short 11 min video on the basics of keeping the homefront protected - remember the 2 meter/6 ft. gap between people and remember the young and healthy are believed to be prime carriers of COVID19 so while they might not show symptoms they can transmit the virus - need to be asocial during this time:

I just can't condemn the CDC yet for any testing failures. Why? Because it's a new virus and testing kits for it didn't exist until what, just a few weeks ago? It hasn't been an instantaneous process by any means, as has the contact-tracing work. I really think we've been doing amazingly well, all considered. IMOO.

Personally, I’m quite critical of our CDC right now. Other countries have found a way to swiftly and effectively test for this new virus.... why can’t we? The United States? I’m not trying appear arrogant about my own country, but it’s irresponsible and embarrassing that the US is so far behind.

I’m pretty irritated with the CDC. MOO.

As of today, the entire state of California has tested ONLY 300 PEOPLE (Link @Kron4news)

Over 39 MILLION people live in California.

300 people is smaller than my children’s elementary school down the street.

MOO MOO.

(ETA: shrank my font so as not to appear to be yelling :))

Last edited:
My husband and I just finished watching the final two episodes (of six) of “Pandemic” on Netflix. If you didn’t read my review last night, let me just say that this is an outstanding and timely documentary. It will make you alternately mad, sad and glad. The researchers and front-line doctors fighting flu and Ebola are heroes. I highly recommend it to gain an understanding of why preparing for a Pandemic is so important. And I don’t mean what we may or may not be doing here to prepare personally. The science that goes into this is vital. The doctors risking their own lives to treat patients with influenza or Ebola are inspiring. The governments must have teams at the ready at all times to get up to speed immediately when a Pandemic starts. And if you like animals, there are some very cute little piggies. This series will take you all over the world. Don’t miss it.

South Korea has come up with an innovative way of testing for the novel coronavirus -- and it was inspired by the drive-through counters at McDonalds and Starbucks, officials say.

Here's how it works.

In the northern city of Goyang, drivers pull in to a parking lot where they are met by health workers dressed in hazmat suits.

Motorists then drive to several stations where nurses in protective plastic suits, masks and face shields register drivers, check their temperatures, and use swabs to take samples from their throats and nasal passages.

This is a drive-through coronavirus testing site.

Officials say it is safer and faster to test for the virus at the drive-through than in a hospital or health clinic.

"There's less face-to-face contact," said Lee Jae-joon, the mayor of Goyang. "If you operate a testing site indoors, there is concern that suspected patients can infect each other in the waiting room."

More random musings, I hope I can articulate the thoughts clearly.

Back to “toilet paper” as always. This is a hot topic of discussion on just about any article you read re: supplies, in addition to the discussions we’ve already had here and iirc, there was even an article in the last thread where the Japan minister actually commented publicly not to worry about the nation’s toilet paper supply.

My point, while thinking more about the difference between “preparedness and hoarding”:

I really hope there’s not a shortage of toilet paper not only for my own good, but everyone else’s too. I am serious when I say the last thing we need is everyone walking around with dirty bum. So if someone wants to buy a bunch of toilet paper, more power to them. I’m glad they will keep their bums clean for everyone’s sake. Now again, leave some for the rest of us I think is the main message here.

I think the government should just give everyone $500 and say get what you need lol.

When it really comes down to it, there seems to be some Darwinian elements, “survival of the fittest”. People will do what they think they need to do to survive. These might not always be beneficial and positive decisions. Again, the guy from the “Towering Inferno” who panics and causes the rescue helicopter to crash comes to mind.

Last edited:
Personally, I’m quite critical of our CDC right now. Other countries have found a way to swiftly and effectively test for this new virus.... why can’t we? The United States? I’m not trying appear arrogant about my own country, but it’s irresponsible and embarrassing that the US is so far behind.

I’m pretty irritated with the CDC. MOO.

Have I mentioned that as of today, the entire state of California has tested ONLY 300 PEOPLE?? (Link @Kron4news)

Over 39 MILLION people live in California.

300 people is smaller than my children’s elementary school down the street.

MOO MOO.

I'm aware that there haven't been enough testing kits available, and that there was a problem with them initially. I know they've been working to rectify that asap, but admit I haven't followed all the covid news as much as many here. I just try to keep up with some daily info and stats at day's end.

I'm aware that there haven't been enough testing kits available, and that there was a problem with them initially. I know they've been working to rectify that asap, but admit I haven't followed all the covid news as much as many here. I just try to keep up with some daily info and stats at day's end.

No, I get it, and I wasn’t trying to yell at you :)

I was yelling at the CDC (wonder if they heard me....)

It’s understandable for people to not realize how few tests have actually been done. The information is not readily available. One has to dig and dig and dig to find out the numbers.

Once I found out that CA was still only 300 tests total as of today I think I flipped my gourd. I was under the impression the other day from our bright-white-toothed Governor’s presser that we’d have many many more tested by now.

Also, I appreciate that you try to check in each day on the stats. It’s very fast-paced news. There are far too many people who don’t pay attention to the news at all.

No, I get it, and I wasn’t trying to yell at you :)

I was yelling at the CDC (wonder if they heard me....)

It’s understandable for people to not realize how few tests have actually been done. The information is not readily available. One has to dig and dig and dig to find out the numbers.

Once I found out that CA was still only 300 tests total as of today I think I flipped my gourd. I was under the impression the other day from our bright-white-toothed Governor’s presser that we’d have many many more tested by now.
Lol- bright-white-toothed Gov. That, he is ;) I do understand the angst re: testing. I recall a CDC spokesperson said the test kit production was being ramped up so that hopefully enough will be sent out by week's end, or something like that. I do have to go read further about this aspect.

I have a question that I’d please like specific clarification on. I don’t want to google it at the moment because I don’t want to come across present news related to current case numbers, etc. without fully catching up here and being able to follow the “progression”, etc.

So making a note if anyone knows, in case it hasn’t been addressed, who exactly pays for the testing? We know that Dr. Mike said one of the brands of testing kits costs $5, but what about the other costs such as lab, etc.? The reason why I ask is I’m hearing buzz about very high testing costs and people who may not go get tested because they don’t have insurance or money to pay for the testing. I would like some clear information as related to individual patient financial responsibility as specifically related to testing costs, if anyone knows anything about this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Planning for all possible outcomes is not panicking. Ensuring that there are 2 weeks supply of food in the cupboards is not hoarding.

The virus has no borders. It doesn't matter where people live. If the virus is in the area, everyone will self-isolate to protect themselves from the possibility local infection. Besides, isn't it true that farmers usually have supplies on hand year round? I grew up in the country and our freezer was full of garden veggies and fruits, animal bits and so on?

Exactly.

I don’t recall reading this before. This is the experience of a Maryland family visiting the wife’s family in Hubei province about 275 miles from Wuhan. The husband is a U.S. citizen and his wife has a green card and is a permanent resident. Their 5 year old daughter is a citizen. Their experience is worth reading. They were very fortunate to get out and were quarantined at Lackland AFB in TX for two weeks.

QUARANTINED in the Year of the Rat: How a New Year’s trip to China turned into nightmare for Md. family | MarylandReporter.com

If you can access WaPo, there is a variation of the story there also.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...um=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_buzz

We have one of those side-by-side refrigerator/freezers with an ice and water dispenser in the freezer door in 0ur rental apartment. I love that feature but you sacrifice freezer space. After our foraging foray today, it is packed and I wish I had room for a little more. But we have enough and if push comes to shove we will lose weight. I refrained from buying either trail mix or nut butter since we have zero self control anywhere near that stuff and would have them eaten tonight!

Things seem to have escalated a bit in Houston area since Friday night when I was out shopping.

HEB limiting how many sanitizers, wipes, customers can buy

We are almost done with our preparing. Feed store was out of chicken/duck feed and I need shavings to keep on hand. Horses and geese have enough supplies. Barn and coops got a thorough cleaning yesterday. Making a big batch of sauerkraut soup for DH and chicken and rice soup for me for the week. Hopefully a little immunity boost from some homemade soups, although I’m not sure how helpful sauerkraut, potatoes and sausage are when it comes to immunity.

I think this is fair and a good idea, to limit so everyone can have some.

I have a question that I’d please like specific clarification on. I don’t want to google it at the moment because I don’t want to come across present news related to current case numbers, etc. without fully catching up here and being able to follow the “progression”, etc.

So making a note if anyone knows, in case it hasn’t been addressed, who exactly pays for the testing? We know that Dr. Mike said one of the brands of testing kits costs $5, but what about the other costs such as lab, etc.? The reason why I ask is I’m hearing buzz about very high testing costs and people who may not go get tested because they don’t have insuranchttps://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-new-directive-requiring-new-york-insurers-waive-cost-sharinge or money to pay for the testing. I would like some clear information as related to individual patient financial responsibility as specifically related to testing costs, if anyone knows anything about this. Thanks in advance.
This is for New York State. I'm going to take a gander and guess this is or will be happening in other states, as well. Good questions!
Governor Cuomo Announces New Directive Requiring New York Insurers to Waive Cost-Sharing for Coronavirus Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14