Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BREAKING: New York state reports first case of coronavirus Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline
BNO Newsroom on Twitter

I'm looking for another source....not sure of location.

Confirmed....

NY State reports first positive case of #COVID19. Woman in late 30s who was traveling to Iran. Isolated in her home. Has respiratory symptoms, but not in serious condition.
Meg Tirrell on Twitter

Sorry if repost, wanted to mark specifically for reference.

“The state is increasing its testing capacity and telling people to expect the smell of bleach from cleaning in public areas, including subways, all while underscoring that the diagnosed woman’s symptoms are so mild that she can recover at home, not in a hospital.”

[...]

“The woman took a car service from the airport to her home in Manhattan and secluded herself immediately, officials said. Still, officials will contact people who were on her flight and the driver who brought her home, Cuomo said.

The woman began showing symptoms Saturday and arranged to be tested that day, Demetre Daskalakis, a deputy New York City health commissioner, said at a second briefing the mayor led later in the day.”

Last edited:
Italy has recorded the largest 24-hour spike in coronavirus cases since the outbreak took off last weekend. Authorities announce cases have jumped overnight from 1128 to nearly 1700 - a 50 per cent increase.
Bevan Shields on Twitter

Coronavirus outbreak: COVID-19 cases in Italy, France surge as panic sets in across Europe

BBM:

“UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock said he would not take any potential responses "off the table", including sealing off affected cities as has been done in China.

"There’s clearly a huge economic and social downside to that but we don’t take anything off the table at this stage because you’ve got to make sure that you have all of the tools available if that is what’s necessary," Hancock said.

"I want to minimise the social and economic disruption, and at this stage we still have the hope – although the numbers elsewhere are rising fast – we still have the hope that we might be able to avoid this outcome."

He also said a research paper that found 500,000 UK citizens could die from a COVID-19 pandemic was a "reasonable worst-case scenario".

The British government is working on a new set of emergency powers in case the virus spreads across the country and will release the proposals early this week.”

How serious coronavirus outbreak will change everyday life

How serious coronavirus outbreak would change your everyday life

DEATH AND SERIOUS ILLNESS

What a serious outbreak of coronavirus in Australia might look like is difficult to predict, given modelling is based on what’s occurred in China.

Things here are vastly different, from the quality of the healthcare system to the robustness of hygiene and sanitation practices.

However, a sustained and significant period of transmission in Australia could result in 25 per cent of the population becoming infected over the duration of the crisis, on the low end of estimates, and as high as 70 per cent in a worst-case scenario, Professor Raina MacIntyre, head of the Biosecurity Program at the Kirby Institute at the University of NSW said.

“So, a case fatality rate of 2 to 3 per cent is high (in that context),” Prof MacIntyre said.

A mortality rate of 3 per cent has been calculated by the World Health Organisation and again applies to China and is likely closer to 1 per cent in the developed world.

But looking at the modelling, in the mid-range of that estimate – 50 per cent of Australians contracting coronavirus – Prof MacIntyre said it could cause as many as 400,000 deaths.

BBM
Even very conservative estimates with a much lower % of infected still may result in such a large number of deaths...this is confronting to consider....

I bought a bunch! I freeze it. I’m trying to shop as much as possible before it starts running rampant in my area.

It's like a catch 22 now - don't stock up and everyone else clears the shelves...or clear the shelves ourselves and contribute to the overbuying lol. I'm going for a midway of extra cat food (for the cat, not me!) and an extra pack of toilet paper. My pantry is already pretty well stocked. Bought my normal medication but might get an extra script filled to be safe. And I have plenty of chocolate so I'm set :p

More Houston news:
Update: Rice University says research employee being self-quarantined due to possible coronavirus exposure
Update: Rice University says research employee being self-quarantined due to possible coronavirus exposure
Energy conference canceled in Houston due to coronavirus-related travel bans, restrictions
Energy conference canceled in Houston due to coronavirus-related travel bans, restrictions

“We know you are worried about the possibility that students have been exposed, and we can confirm that based on our investigation the staff member has not had direct contact with our undergraduate population. Likewise, the staff member has not been in any residential college or any classrooms since returning to Houston on Feb. 20.”

Some of us on this thread could very easily die from COVID-19, either because of our age or health conditions or both. I’ve had my pneumonia shots and I get a flu shot every year. But I’m definitely well into the age risk category and have mild asthma. There is no vaccine for this. So I’m more inclined to take precautions and bring in supplies in case my husband and I get stuck for two+ weeks. We have friends who would help us out, but we have other mutual friends who would need more help, so we’d like to be as independent as possible.

If younger ones on the thread who don’t see any risk are disinclined to take precautions and keep traveling, that’s fine. But I would ask that you at least keep your germs and dismissive comments to yourselves (Henny-penny? Seriously?) until we see how this plays out. Then if it turns out to be a big nothingburger, you are welcome to say “I told you so.” :D But in the meantime, I’m taking this seriously, preparing as well as I reasonably can and hoping for the best. My condolences to the families of those who have died worldwide. :(

Thank you for this.

Re: recommended quarantine situations, current and future, I would much rather people stock up and be prepared with everything that they want or need instead of going out to get it if there’s a chance they’re sick, or if they’ve been recommended to lock down for whatever reason.

People buying supplies to help get them through an emergency is not hoarding unless they get greedy - “insert common sense”. People need to be prepared for themselves and their families. It’s the smart people who are taking these things seriously, and the ill prepared who could cause further spread imo. It is the responsibility of individuals to plan for situations should there be outbreaks in the area. This is for the well-being of all people, not just the individuals themselves.

There’s a difference between emergency preparedness/hunkering down and hoarding.

Let’s make sure that is clear here.

ETA:
Also some people (like myself) aren’t going to want to be in public places such as grocery stores and pharmacies, etc when the numbers start to rise. The last place I want to be is a pharmacy and stores with people coughing everywhere, so I’ll get my Tylenol and whatever else I/we will need sooner rather than later.

Couldn't agree more!

Aged care facilities could be put into "lockdown" if the COVID-19 threat continues to rise, the prime minister has warned.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison told A Current Affair the federal government are working particularly closely with aged care facilities - as they are the most vulnerable community.

"We are able to lock down aged care facilities, if we need to," Mr Morrison told A Current Affair.
Aged care facilities may be put in 'lock down' if COVID-19 outbreak worsens, says PM

85078464-EE59-4910-B7C6-505DAFB3C58E.jpeg

A doctor in Wuhan who worked side by side with late heroic coronavirus whistle-blower Dr Li Wenliang has also died of the disease
after contracting it while fighting the outbreak.

Dr Mei Zhongming, 57, was declared dead by Wuhan's Jinyintan Hospital today at noon local time after 'all-out rescue efforts failed', said Wuhan Central Hospital where he worked.

Dr Mei worked in the same department as Dr Li, who was punished for sounding the alarm over the coronavirus outbreak before it spread and then died of the infection last month.

Colleague of China's coronavirus whistle-blower Li Wenliang also dies of the deadly disease | Daily Mail Online

May Dr Mei Zhongming Rest In Peace.

View attachment 235806 View attachment 235807

Shopper snaps astonishing scenes of panicked Australians stockpiling 48-pack rolls of toilet paper at Costco amid coronavirus outbreak

Woman snaps astonishing image of panicked Australians stockpiling 48-pack rolls of toilet paper | Daily Mail Online

Why do I have the feeling I didn’t pick up nearly enough TP?? lol

And when did TP climb so high on the survival list?? I mean, I can wipe my *advertiser censored** with lots of things if I have to, but there’s only so many things I can eat!!

**Wouldn’t have this issue if Sears & Roebuck still sent out catalogs!!**
:p

Why do I have the feeling I didn’t pick up nearly enough TP?? lol

And when did TP climb so high on the survival list?? I mean, I can wipe my *advertiser censored** with lots of things if I have to, but there’s only so many things I can eat!!

**Wouldn’t have this issue if Sears & Roebuck still sent out catalogs!!**
:p
I save old phone books for such an important survival item or as fire starter......:D.........moo

I am hoping they will soon figure out exactly how this gets transmitted - its easier to avoid people coughing/sneezing on you, and being careful about what you touch... but the idea of it somehow floating in the air from people who don't know they are sick is what freaks me out.

^^^ ABSOLUTELY THIS ^^^

IMO -
If this thing isn’t extremely airborne, then they really need to study it closely so the human race can figure out how teleportation actually works!!

** “Beam me update Scottie” **

We really need to set up a drinking game for "Coronavirus".

When you are watching the news, a swig of "Corona" every time they say:

1. CDC
2. Flu
3. Quarantine
4. China
5. Italy
6. Coronavirus

OMG - I’d be drunk before the kids got on the bus! And besides, I’ve heard that beer is the cause of this whole thing! LOL

Health Department is monitoring several cases in my county in Southern Oregon involving travel to China or close contact with someone with COVID-19.

I haven’t been paying much attention to local news lately. Too busy here and with national news. I checked this evening and our Jackson county health department is monitoring several people for COVID-19 here in Southern Oregon!
They won’t say how many but they’ve been monitoring them since early February. The health department said:

“If you’re being monitored, that means you have not shown any symptoms of the virus but traveled to and from China or had close contact with someone confirmed to have the virus.

Jackson County Preparedness Manager Tanya Phillips says the people who are being monitored are at home under a 14-day self-quarantine.”

Jackson Co. Public Health monitoring people for coronavirus - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

The preparedness manager won’t say if anyone has been tested or how many they are monitoring.The people update the department on their condition, the frequency depending on whether their risk of catching the virus is low, medium or high.

The article said that the risk of catching the novel coronavirus in the Rogue Valley is low because there has been no community spread. Although it’s a little unnerving to have symptomatic people so close, it seems that the county jumped on it fast. I mentioned the other day our small state university with about 30 Chinese students plus there are many Chinese in the area. Some might have traveled home during winter break. I wonder if they were met at our small airport and screened when they returned. If so, I will applaud our little health department and feel confidence in them. I refuse to worry about it and choose to think they have things well in hand. Stay tuned for updates and hope they don’t sneak out of their quarantine. This is the only one of three TV Stations carrying the story and neither paper has carried it.

The Jackson County Health Department is taking this very seriously and had “Flash Alerts” on their website counseling residents who were planning to go to China and those who had returned unsymptomatic or with symptoms as well as how clinicians should deal with them. I’m impressed.

http://jacksoncountyor.org/hhs/Desk...achment&language=en-US&PortalId=11&TabId=1234

http://jacksoncountyor.org/hhs/Desk...achment&language=en-US&PortalId=11&TabId=1234

Last edited:
Nine new cases in Sweden today, all of them having been in Italy: Nio nya fall av coronavirus i Sverige – samtliga har varit i norra Italien
Now the total of CoViD-19 infections in Sweden is 24.

One reason why there are so many cases here in Sweden who have been infected in Italy is that at the moment children are having a winter holiday (sportlov), and many families have gone to the Alps for skiing. Lets hope those families in the north of Sweden who still have their winter holiday to come stays away from Italy. Sportlovet 2020: De här veckorna är 1,5 miljoner barn och unga är lediga

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member