Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go again.....Australia

#BREAKING: 9 News can confirm a 50-year-old Sydney woman who contracted the coronavirus disease from Australia is a staff member at a nursing home in Sydney's north-west. #9News Nine News Sydney on Twitter
@Henry2326, do you ever sleep? :)

ETA - I picture a little Minion working nonstop in front of a huge screen with a world map on it. Working day and night to keep us informed. Thank you!

My daughter lives in Brooklyn and uses the subway into Manhattan a few days a week.

She worked at a law firm on Madison Avenue last month. I am curious now what firm this attorney worked for.
He works for a small firm, iirc, with only three people. So, I'm thinking that anyone who works for this firm would already know about him having the virus.

jmo

Very long lines to get the real ID
You guys would not believe the amount of people that have no idea about real ID. I've tried my best to spread the word to everyone I know. One friend of mine went and renewed her license because it was time...didn't do the real ID. I was shocked. It's like people don't realize they CANNOT get on a plane without it.

Madison Square Garden is next to Penn Station (on 34th Street). Grand Central is a different station (on 42nd).

My town. :)

jmo

Ah....Thank you for correcting me on that. I always got Penn Station and Grand Central mixed up. LOL Its been too many years since Ive been back to New York.

I miss the fresh Polish Kielbasa hanging by the rung in some of the Delis. And I miss the Knishes with mustard. Oh my. Making my mouth water just thinking about all the foods I no longer can get.

You guys would not believe the amount of people that have no idea about real ID. I've tried my best to spread the word to everyone I know. One friend of mine went and renewed her license because it was time...didn't do the real ID. I was shocked. It's like people don't realize they CANNOT get on a plane without it.
Honestly, the communication about it has been terrible.

jmo

Oh no. Ive been to Grand Central Station in NYC many times when taking the train to Ranger Hockey games at Madison Square Garden which happens to be right next to Grand Central Station.

For those that have not been there, some information about it. It really is a beautiful place, but many many many people hustle and bustle through it. Not a good place to try to avoid catching something.

What to See - Grand Central Terminal
Actually Penn Station is next to Madison Square Garden. Grand Central is over on Park, a bit north and east. GCS is a beautiful station. Penn Station not so much.

Honestly, the communication about it has been terrible.

jmo
100% agree. I got the usual post card thingy telling me that I needed to renew my DL. In small print at the end it told about the "star" that I needed.

Also, for women that have changed their last name, they don't list that you need to bring your original marriage license to show that you got married.

It's a cluster **** (ya'll know what the stars stand for lol)

Thanks for reminding me! I read a paper last night that was the first published one I've gotten an alert on with google scholar.

Estimation of the reproductive number of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the probable outbreak size on the Diamond Princess cruise ship: A data-driven analysis - ScienceDirect

Estimation of the reproductive number of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the probable outbreak size on the Diamond Princess cruise ship: A data-driven analysis

Highlights
•The novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pneumonia has caused 355 confirmed cases on the Diamond Princess cruise ship as of February 16, 2020.
•We estimated that the Maximum-Likelihood (ML) value of reproductive number (R0) was 2.28 for COVID-19 outbreak at early stage on the ship.
•If R0 value was reduced by 25% and 50%, the estimated total number of cumulative cases would be reduced from 1514 (1384-1656) to 1081 (981-1177) and 758 (697-817) as of February 26, 2020, respectively.
e.d. Interesting, as in the end, there were a total of 705 infections total from the ship. therefore they are saying it could have been a ~50% reduction in the initial R0 of 2.28 to a later R0 of 1.14.

It's all Greek to me, but I had said in thread #2 that I was doing an alert for the Princess Cruise ship and would share if I got one.

Thank you for that information!

I’ll try to read through it later to see if I can make sense of any of it - some reports I can keep up with, but others look like a language I’ve never seen before! lol

The part I find really interesting is the amount of spread that continued well after the quarantine had been initiated. I know mistakes were made along the way, but I’m sure they would have some basic protocols implemented at a minimum. Aerosol made sense to me, the droplets don’t. Unless the AVERAGE incubation period is quite a bit longer than current estimates. The way this virus spreads STILL seems like an anomaly to me.... but as long as it makes sense to the scientists that study it, I guess I’ll roll with it.

Thanks again! I’d been wondering when the first reports would be popping up.

100% agree. I got the usual post card thingy telling me that I needed to renew my DL. In small print at the end it told about the "star" that I needed.

Also, for women that have changed their last name, they don't list that you need to bring your original marriage license to show that you got married.

It's a cluster **** (ya'll know what the stars stand for lol)
I am quoting myself to stress that even though my social security card had my married name (been married for 19 years at the time I went to the DMV) they STILL had to have my marriage certificate.

Ridiculous.

Actually Penn Station is next to Madison Square Garden. Grand Central is over on Park, a bit north and east. GCS is a beautiful station. Penn Station not so much.

Yes, thanks. I will edit the post to remove reference to avoid further confusion. Penn Station is so big and huge, I think that is why I always got it mixed up with Grand Central. :)

speaking of which-
Has anyone seen any plan from our leaders on
"Containment" of the virus?
I see knee jerk reactions after each fact but for
prevention and or containment I don't see much yet.

That's what bothers me most. It is exactly what WHO was upset about yesterday... going to mitigation without doing the containment.

They stressed that even Wuhan started at cases, grew and went to contacts, grew more and then to community spread.

Shut down happened with tracing... and then went from community spread... to contacts spread.. and now back to individual cases at many places. They said can only be done at the VERY beginning. The three C's they called it.

It appears that US has skipped the identification and containment at the case level...it's jumped to cases as the surveillance...well, it sucked. So catch up for the community health workers.... can they do like Wuhan did?

Time will tell. The lack of coordination and oversight by one will be the downfall?

SAN LEANDRO, Calif. (KRON) — Nurses are criticizing hospitals when it comes to coronavirus.

“We’re prepared as individual professionals, our issues is whether our hospitals are prepared and sadly we’re finding that’s not the case that they are,” Gerard Brogan said.

Gerard Brogan is a registered nurse, the director of nursing practice for California Nurses Association and National Nurses United Union.

“We’re seeing a picture there’s a lack of preparation both in terms of equipment and training,” Brogan said.

That’s according to a preliminary survey national nurses united conducted. So far they received more than 5,000 responses.

Brogan says one example is UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento – the nurses union claims at least 36 RNs and 88 health care workers had to go home because of the potential coronavirus.

The single COVID-19 patient was admitted on Feb. 19.

“That’s 122 less staff now to deal with further patients that come in,” Brogan said.

The Nurses Union believes hospitals are cutting corners or prioritizing their profits.

Bay Area nurse speaks out about coronavirus concerns, employee safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member