Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not as optimistic. We don't even know if our tests are reliable. Most countries are using the same test but the CDC developed it's own which was the one that was demonstrably unreliable when first sent out. So they changed the test to only look for 2 rather than the original 3 markers (also the # used by the rest of the world) which produces a less reliable result. And because the test was being developed under an Emergency provision which allowed it to go out before the required test period, and no one else could produce the tests under that law. They did just change that and are adding a few labs at a time as noted in the article below.

Anyway, just found the background here interesting and had previously been unaware of it.

Responding to Testing Problems, US FDA Expands Number of Labs That Can Test for COVID-19

I just can't condemn the CDC yet for any testing failures. Why? Because it's a new virus and testing kits for it didn't exist until what, just a few weeks ago? It hasn't been an instantaneous process by any means, as has the contact-tracing work. I really think we've been doing amazingly well, all considered. IMOO.

Yes, thanks. I will edit the post to remove reference to avoid further confusion. Penn Station is so big and huge, I think that is why I always got it mixed up with Grand Central. :)
Your point was well taken though, that both are are mass of people passing through. Coming in and out by trains and subways.

I have an auto immune too. And an 8 year old despite my age- Ahem, I mean, wisdom :) So if it comes to her school, it's coming to my home. That said we've never had a Spring Break vacation her whole life, finally planned one and kiddo has her heart is set on it. Indoor water park in Colo Spgs. Idk ginger, I wasn't thrilled about a large enclosed crowd with kids w germs in the first place but I'm getting cold feet about going. No clue on what is best.

LOL - Just had to laugh!! We’ve got a 2 yr old and a 5 yr old, & I too have a fair amount of “wisdom”

I told my wife early on that the kids would either kill me, or keep me young...

The jury’s still out....

I am quoting myself to stress that even though my social security card had my married name (been married for 19 years at the time I went to the DMV) they STILL had to have my marriage certificate.

Ridiculous.
Here they were stopping people at the door and said if you had to have a copy of your birth certificate. Would not let you in the door at the DMV.

Oz prepares

25501880-8071359-image-a-12_1583275201951.jpg

#Toiletpaper goes viral as the internet mocks Aussie coronavirus doomsdayers for stocking up | Daily Mail Online

You guys would not believe the amount of people that have no idea about real ID. I've tried my best to spread the word to everyone I know. One friend of mine went and renewed her license because it was time...didn't do the real ID. I was shocked. It's like people don't realize they CANNOT get on a plane without it.

People with a valid passport do not need the real id to board a plane.

OK Folks I foresee another small problem in our
war on the Cvirus.
Since CDC seems to be sweeping most of the testing back onto the individual state labs, we may have an upcoming problem in my state of Fl.
Fl. has appx 22 million residents. We have a total of 3 approved labs in the state to run tests.
A reporter just asked our Governor if the state is planning on setting up more local labs to expedite testing. Gov. answered, "No, you're
looking at that taking several months to do".

OK, 22 million people and if 60% of population gets the virus, that's 13 million tests to confirm.
With 3 labs that's 4.3 million tests per lab.
Over a 30 day period, if the virus explodes that would mean each lab has to handle 143,300 tests per day to keep up. Slow it down to a 60 day period and you still have 72,000 tests per day for each lab to run to keep up.

Can I volunteer to call my Gov. to see what he's smoking? Does this sound like adequate planning to
protect our residents as our leaders tell us?
Oh boy, are we in for problems.
someone please tell me I'm wrong or I won't be able to sleep till you tell me.

Your math is correct, but you have to keep in mind, that based on the information we’re being provided (and may I point out it’s another ASSUMPTION at this point), 75% to 80% of the 60% that get infected will have only mild symptoms and will more than likely recover at home without ever being tested. Hope this helps...

That's what bothers me most. It is exactly what WHO was upset about yesterday... going to mitigation without doing the containment.

They stressed that even Wuhan started at cases, grew and went to contacts, grew more and then to community spread.

Shut down happened with tracing... and then went from community spread... to contacts spread.. and now back to individual cases at many places. They said can only be done at the VERY beginning. The three C's they called it.

It appears that US has skipped the identification and containment at the case level...it's jumped to cases as the surveillance...well, it sucked. So catch up for the community health workers.... can they do like Wuhan did?

Time will tell. The lack of coordination and oversight by one will be the downfall?

Exactly ^^^^ this.

I am so glad this thread exists. Otherwise I'd feel like I was a crazy person worrying about all of this so much.

For sure! And we get the best collection of information from all over and from all angles thanks to our members. I always come to WS to get the best quality news about any major incident. We are undoubtedly better informed than most people and this might explain why we are surprised that others are so casual about COVID-19. Of course, knowing a lot can mean being concerned sooner and more, but we also have an advantage when it comes to preparation and protection. Don’t worry. Be ready. (With apologies to Bobby McFerrin)

Here they were stopping people at the door and said if you had to have a copy of your birth certificate. Would not let you in the door at the DMV.

Trying to find my birth certificate would have the same results as trying to find my original Social Security card I was asked to produce for something. I finally filled out all the forms for a replacement SS card because it was impossible to find even though I knew it was somewhere. LOL

My search for my birth certificate would be about the same. LOL

If you don’t fly or plan on flying - might not know about it or even care.
It’s widely posted at airports from what I’ve been told.
Yes, that's where I learned about it - from reading a poster while I stood in a slow security line at the airport. If the line had been faster, I would've missed the sign completely. I haven't heard much about it at all.

Some people, I suspect, are in for a rude awakening if they try to fly somewhere on short notice.

jmo

FC6A69F6-F878-4D46-9629-17E2B02D5261.jpeg C0160D54-8E64-4904-9E0B-296FF2528696.jpeg 019BF274-ECFC-499F-B8B6-899C51C474C4.jpeg 9355A82D-DE5B-4A52-AE70-CBA56BE6292F.jpeg

Stampede breaks out at Woolworths as shoppers fight for the last rolls of toilet paper - as Aldi enforces a radical one-pack limit amid coronavirus crisis

Stampede breaks out at Sydney Woolworths for toilet paper | Daily Mail Online

Why are people fighting over toilet rolls? I’m afraid for the survival of humanity if this crisis gets a lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scomo