Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg Kakidoll! Very sorry to hear about your illness and very disturbed about many passengers from your cruise becoming ill. Jan 29 th was early days. Has the cruise line or CDC made any comments with specific concern about covid-19? I have only been on one cruise. I hav heard norovirus is common but is it common to get regular flu bug on cruises? Have any of your fellow passengers obtained tests? I hope you get better very soon.

Thanks all for the good wishes. I'll be fine. I actually need to go online and see if anyone else is still sick. You just never know where you pick it up since people fly into the cruise ports from all over the world. People were sick when i got on the ship, and i always pick up something. Cruises are my 'party time' so i stay up MUCH later than normal, drink much more than normal and eat differently. I let myself get run down, so i always count in a week when i'm back to get my immune system built back up. I did NOT take precautions i usually do (lysol the cabin, do extra vitamins etc) as i hadn't caught anything the previous few cruises.. so got lazy. I've learned my lesson. NO ONE has gotten a Covid test.
And i've NEVER gotten Norovirus... and i'm nearing 30 cruises. And yes, getting a cold or whatever is common. You see people you haven't seen for awhile, your hugging, dancing, leaning close to talk if its loud. Things get spread easily. But it is still worth it :)

You can’t blame people for avoiding these places and that’s just the downside of this.

I wouldn’t eat Chinese food if you paid me at the moment and everybody I know is the same. It’s a complete over reaction and we know that but it’s just the way we feel at the moment and we are certainly not alone in that. It started in China so I think it’s just human nature to over think these things at the moment and to avoid things you associate with the disease.

IMO

Not just Chinese Food, but I don't want to eat out at all.

I'll cook what is already in my fridge.

WeWork said one of its midtown New York City locations got "enhanced cleaning" after a company in the coworking space reported employees may have been exposed to someone who is believed to have coronavirus.

An employee of a company "may have had exposure to someone who is believed to have contracted Coronavirus." This person exited the building immediately and will self-quarantine at home for 14 days."

WeWork immediately informed other members at the location. The building then received "enhanced cleaning overnight" and remains open.

The member has been identified as an employee of the financial organization Teachers, Insurance and Annuity Association, or TIAA.

Live updates: Coronavirus outbreak spreads across the world - CNN

ugh. My daughter uses this type of co-working space in Manhattan.

I just received an email from my sons pediatricians office...

Coronavirus Information: Please Read

As you have likely heard, a new strain of a coronavirus known as "Coronavirus Disease 2019" or "COVID-19", was recently identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. Most coronaviruses are known for causing the common cold and after becoming infected, one would simply recover in a few days once the illness ran its course. As COVID-19 is new, we have limited information about it and the situation is rapidly changing. So far, we do know that like the common cold, it causes a mild respiratory illness in most people, but it can be more serious and cause pneumonia. This is similar to when one gets a cold or the flu. Generally healthy people get over a cold or influenza, but these infections could also lead to a more serious illness.

The virus spreads person to person through respiratory droplets. Symptoms include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Other symptoms are body aches, chills, diarrhea, headache, runny nose, and sore throat.

To reduce your risk of any infection, we recommend the same precautions as those for avoiding the common cold and flu:

• Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.

There are three categories of patients who meet the criteria for a patient under investigation (PUI) for COVID-19:

1. The patient has traveled to or from an affected geographical area (see link below) AND has a fever (temperature 100.4 F or greater) ALONG WITH a lower respiratory illness with a cough, shortness of breath etc.
  2. A person who has CLOSE CONTACT (see definition of CLOSE CONTACT below) with a laboratory confirmed COVID-19 patient.
  3. A person with severe acute lower respiratory illness AND fever that requires them to be hospitalized AND there are no other diagnoses, such as influenza, that would explain these symptoms.

In order to be considered at risk of COVID-19 exposure, one must have CLOSE CONTACT with a person who is a lab-test-confirmed COVID-19 or under investigation for COVID-19 while they were ill.

CLOSE CONTACT is defined as:
    • HOUSEHOLD CLOSE CONTACT: Living in the same house (household contacts) with a person with confirmed, probable, or suspected COVID-19.
    • OTHER CLOSE CONTACT (within 6 feet, 2 meters; touching distance) with a person with confirmed, probable, or suspected COVID-19. Examples of such CLOSE CONTACT include kissing or hugging, sharing eating or drinking utensils, carpooling, close conversation, and any other direct contact with respiratory secretions of a person with COVID-19.

The following are not considered CLOSE CONTACT exposures:

• Living in a city or town where there are one or more confirmed cases of novel COVID-19, although this increases the risk of exposure
    • Being in the same school, church, workplace or building as a person with COVID-19. Exception: CLOSE CONTACT with a person infected with or suspected to be infected with COVID-19 who is symptomatic person, such as sitting next to them
    • Walking by a person who has COVID-19
    • CLOSE CONTACT with a person who was exposed to COVID-19 more than 14 days ago and never developed any symptoms
    • Eating at a Chinese or Vietnamese restaurant
    • Travel to areas the CDC identifies as high risk for this infection is a much less important risk factor. Testing is only indicated if this patient also develops BOTH fever and cough. Click here for the latest information.

Currently, testing is not available in our office. However, if your child does not meet the criteria listed above, it is likely that they have not had a true exposure to COVID-19 and testing is not indicated.

If your child does meet the criteria above including having a fever and cough or shortness of breath:

• Seek medical care right away. Before you come to one of our locations or visit an emergency room, call ahead to discuss your recent travel and symptoms.
    • Tell your health care provider and their staff immediately if you have returned from visiting China, Iran, Japan, Italy, South Korea or any area designated as high risk by the CDC in the past 2 weeks.
    • After you have been seen by a medical provider, stay home and avoid contact with others until you are well.
    • Avoid travel on public transportation (such as bus, train, subway, metro, or airplane).
    • Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
    • Wash hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.

Perhaps just as important as the clinical response is the way we handle the news of the virus with our children. Below are some healthy recommendations from Psychology Today.

• Ask what your child already knows about the coronavirus. You may need to deal with rumors and misconceptions.
  • Listen to your child and let him or her express how he or she feels. Do not minimize your child’s emotions.
  • Calmly and briefly explain the facts to your children. Do not lie to them, but do not give them more information than they need in order to understand. You can give your children a sense of control by discussing what they can do to protect themselves such as hand washing.
  • Assure your children that they are safe right now and discuss your plan on how your family will do their best to stay that way.
  • Limit exposure to television or news sources as they will cause your child to believe the threat is more serious than it is and undue stress.
  • Keep routines and schedules the same unless asked to change something by your government officials or school district. Consistency and routine are signals to your child that things are fine and “normal".

Information adapted from Schmitt Pediatric Guidelines, Psychology Today and the CDC.

FOX 5 DC on Twitter

Contaminated cash may spread coronavirus, World Health Organization warns
Published 1 hour ago
Coronavirus
FOX 2 Detroit

(FOX 2) - The World Health Organization (WHO) has advised people to wash their hands and stop using cash if possible as the paper bills may help spread coronavirus.

WHO told the Telegraph on Tuesday that customers who use cash bills should consider using contactless payments instead as coronavirus (Covid-19) may cling to the surface of paper bills for multiple days.

What is coronavirus?
From how it spreads to where it originated, here's a look at everything you need to know about the deadly contagion.

Ad Content by Taboola |

Sponsored Stories

In the Telegraph article, the Bank of England acknowledged that cash can carry bacteria or viruses and urges people to wash their hands regularly.

RELATED: Coronavirus: Symptoms, testing and how to prepare amid growing COVID-19 outbreak

Last month, both China and Korea began disinfecting and isolating used banknotes as part of their efforts to stop the spread of the virus.

Officials used ultraviolet light or high temperatures to sterilize the bills, then sealed them for 14days, before releasing them back into circulation.

MAP: This is where there are confirmed coronavirus cases in the US and around the world

It's not known exactly how long the coronavirus can survive outside the human body but it's believed they can survive on inanimate objects for up to nine days at room temperature.

Money, similar to things like doorknobs, handrails, phones, and credit cards, can carry the bacteria or viruses. So, in the end, just wash your hands.
A clerk disinfects banknotes in the headquarters of Suining Bank in Suining city in southwest China's Sichuan province Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2020. China's central bank has ordered banks to disinfect cash and destroy cash received from hospitals to curb

Cleaning tips to keep your workspace safe amid coronavirus worries

In order to protect yourself from a possible infection, the CDC recommends:

• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Stay home when you are sick.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.

Prince William casually joked about the deadly coronavirus outbreak during a royal visit to Dublin’s Guinness Storehouse in Ireland on Tuesday.

“I bet everyone’s like, ‘I’ve got coronavirus, I’m dying,’ and you’re like, ‘No, you’ve just got a cough,’” quipped the Duke of Cambridge to first responder Joe Mooney during an exchange that was captured on video, as shared by Time magazine.

“It does seem quite dramatic about coronavirus at the moment,” continued the 37-year-old. “Is it being a little hyped up do you think, by the media?”

Mooney seemed to offer no opinion.

In the same clip, William, who was preparing to enjoy a glass of Guinness, is heard saying, “By the way, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are spreading coronavirus. Sorry! We’re keeping an eye on that, so do tell us if we need to stop.”

Prince William jokes about ‘spreading coronavirus’ during royal trip to Dublin: ‘Sorry!’

Prince William Jokes About 'Spreading Coronavirus' At Royal Engagement in Dublin

Oy.

Doctor said masks absolutely do nothing. Not even the N95. She said the droplets are too small.

She told me no non-essential travel for me. Damn.

She also told me she doesn’t know if asthmatics can survive it because they don’t know enough yet. She told me that the best bet is to get medical attention quickly if I feel sick. She also doesn’t know if Kaiser will have enough respirators and stuff if there’s a huge influx.

But she said no need to stock up on medications. Just make sure I have my one month supply.

SAMS is right there with me....thanks SAMS!!

And if we could get @PommyMommy here, she would get all her underground virtual helpers as she is another one who never sleeps and is amazing at unearthing and staying up all hours.

That said, I love the diversity of interests and posts on this thread. And those who repost stuff that has already been posted if they also find significant as many don't want to miss anything important, and this helps! Folks are finding things and are taking the onus upon themselves to follow their favorite sources to post here to share.

Kudos to every single poster with info and sharing in a positive/concerned way

... and everyone take a bow, as no congratulatory handshaking is allowed on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member