Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is beyond belief...

Princess says the Grand Princess cruise ship has canceled its call at Ensenada, Mexico, and will sail directly to San Francisco. The ship will arrive on Thursday afternoon.
BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Current passengers of the Grand Princess cruise ship who were also on board during the previous journey are required to stay in their stateroom until they are cleared by medical staff, company says.
BNO Newsroom on Twitter

BREAKING: U.S. CDC investigating "small cluster" of coronavirus cases linked to previous journey of the Grand Princess cruise ship, company says.
BNO Newsroom on Twitter

This is the letter given to people on board the Grand Princess cruise ship, telling them that the CDC is investigating a "small cluster" of coronavirus cases linked to the ship BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200304_140023.png
    IMG_20200304_140023.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200304_140027.png
    IMG_20200304_140027.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I wish you could speak to my acquaintances they are 100% convinced it's a huge hoax created by the media to prevent music festivals. I kid you not. That China was paid to hire actors to create a fake crisis to stop music festivals.
I need new acquaintances.

Well, if they believe man on the moon and the holocaust were fake... I would say run for the hills.

Not worth your time to even try to educate. You have to help the ones that are 1/2 a brain, and put on ignore those that will never turn around and listen and investigate as we are doing here. Just know, there are lots and you are not alone with "acquaintances" such as that.

I had booked tickets and I was looking forward to it but I understand how serious this crisis is. Hopefully things will have improved significantly by November.

I have been desperately trying to get antibacterial hand wipes around the supermarkets today where I live in Scotland and the shelves are empty.

This morning the New York Times had an article about how they had bleached down all 427 (!) subway stations. I thought, "Man, I wish they'd do that more often!"

I've also seen statements about every store in Seattle being out of toilet paper (:eek: even my uber-nervous friend said, "wtf, do they think they're going to be quarantined for a month?"); huge swaths of items (TP; dog food; bottled water, Clorox wipes, etc.) sold out at Costco's nationwide; and I had to do a 20-minute search on Amazon to find a single bundle of medical masks that wasn't labeled "for medical businesses with license only" (think I wound up paying something ridiculous like $45 for 50; though it also could have been $35 for 50, so don't quote me on that to anyone).

Conversely for reference, a year or so ago I tried to get 100 masks from overseas on eBay; they never arrived. I didn't complain because at that time, they had sold them to me for 99 cents and I thought it wasn't worth it, lol. Little did I know!!

Ugh
Officials in Los Angeles County announced six new cases of the new coronavirus on Wednesday and declared a local state of emergency, the latest developments in an unfurling health crisis that has spread across the nation, with a concentration on the West Coast.

The latest announcement brought the number of identified cases in Los Angeles County to seven. Across California, 51 people have been treated for the coronavirus, the most of any state.
Los Angeles County Declares Emergency With 6 New Coronavirus Cases

FOX 5 DC on Twitter

Contaminated cash may spread coronavirus, World Health Organization warns
Published 1 hour ago
Coronavirus
FOX 2 Detroit

(FOX 2) - The World Health Organization (WHO) has advised people to wash their hands and stop using cash if possible as the paper bills may help spread coronavirus.

WHO told the Telegraph on Tuesday that customers who use cash bills should consider using contactless payments instead as coronavirus (Covid-19) may cling to the surface of paper bills for multiple days.

What is coronavirus?
From how it spreads to where it originated, here's a look at everything you need to know about the deadly contagion.

Ad Content by Taboola |

Sponsored Stories

In the Telegraph article, the Bank of England acknowledged that cash can carry bacteria or viruses and urges people to wash their hands regularly.

RELATED: Coronavirus: Symptoms, testing and how to prepare amid growing COVID-19 outbreak

Last month, both China and Korea began disinfecting and isolating used banknotes as part of their efforts to stop the spread of the virus.

Officials used ultraviolet light or high temperatures to sterilize the bills, then sealed them for 14days, before releasing them back into circulation.

MAP: This is where there are confirmed coronavirus cases in the US and around the world

It's not known exactly how long the coronavirus can survive outside the human body but it's believed they can survive on inanimate objects for up to nine days at room temperature.

Money, similar to things like doorknobs, handrails, phones, and credit cards, can carry the bacteria or viruses. So, in the end, just wash your hands.
A clerk disinfects banknotes in the headquarters of Suining Bank in Suining city in southwest China's Sichuan province Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2020. China's central bank has ordered banks to disinfect cash and destroy cash received from hospitals to curb

Cleaning tips to keep your workspace safe amid coronavirus worries

In order to protect yourself from a possible infection, the CDC recommends:

• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Stay home when you are sick.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
I'm waiting to hear back from my son, a bank manager, on what precautions they are taking.

Why are people being told to stock up with clean water?

Is there something else that we are not being told here?

Possibilities:

#1 - Many people don't want to go out when/if there is an epidemic in their area, so are stocking up for a month for the family
#2 - So that if they go out if epidemic, they don't have to use others drinks/water cups that might be contaminated on the cups, they have their own vessels (they just watched Contagion perhaps, or they don't have to stop on a trip to purchase a drink from somewhere ?)
#3 - They are used to doing such whenever there was a hurricane to prep.. so they are on automatic pilot
#4 - They have company coming in from out of town in the next month, so buying now (my situation)
#5 - Easy to store non-perishable, so why not purchase as is TP

I'm sure there are others... but many folks that do water, I would assume, know that it's manufactured in the US so can be ramped up by manufacturer.. as is toilet paper in US and elsewhere.

Coronavirus: there are 2 types, Chinese researchers find, while authorities say faeces and urine can transmit the infection

The coronavirus has evolved into two major types, with differing transmission rates and geographical distribution, according to a study published in the National Science Review on Tuesday.

A group of Chinese scientists analysed 103 coronavirus genomes and identified mutations in 149 sites across the strains.

They found that one type, which they called the L type, was more prevalent than the other, the S type, meaning it was more infectious. They also found that the L type had evolved from the S type, and that the L type was far more widespread before January 7 and in Wuhan, ground zero of the outbreak.

Coronavirus: there are 2 different types of the strain, Chinese study finds

How could this affect development of a vaccine? I imagine it makes development more difficult. Could scientists develop a vaccine the prevents both strains or would more than one vaccine be required? I’m hoping it would be like the flu vaccine and protects against three or four strains depending on the vaccine.

I think this is visible in the Nextstrain phylogeny charts? If that's correct, then you can see if it's the L-type or the S-type that a particular case belongs to, and which type becomes dominant in a particular region. That's if I'm interpreting it correctly.

If someone has the virus, they should not be out and about anywhere.

The restaurants in California are heavily regulated for cleanliness. We clean and sanitize constantly. Much more so then grocery stores and most other businesses.

We are aware that if this starts to blow up, that, businesses who service people in person will suffer. Including us.

They could touch your plate, your menu, your chair, the pen to sign your credit card bill.

If someone has the virus, they shouldn't be in a restaurant kitchen or dining room, regardless of how hot the food is cooked.

That goes for ANY restaurant, of course, not just Chinese places. And I know that restaurant managers and owners take that seriously....but also understand that people's appetites for restaurants might be "off" for awhile.

Not easy times. :(

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads