Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
San Diego

We have confirmed the preliminary #coronavirus test of an AT&T employee that works in Chula Vista has come back positive. Waiting for @CDCgov to confirm the results. Woman and employees she had contact with are under self-quarantine. Authorities say exposure to customers is low.
Marie Coronel on Twitter

Has anyone seen WHAT they are treating positive people with? I've read those hospitalized are on antibiotics, fluids and some on respirators. If they release the protocol for which antibiotic, others could get a jump on it and prescribe THAT particular antibiotic for those that aren't able to be tested.
There is not a specific medical protocol in place for treatment that I have seen. Antibiotics do not treat a viral infection, but since this virus can lead to other complications, that could be why they would be used in some cases. Administering fluids and use of ventilators is also not "curing" but treating the symptoms of the disease.

My parents here in New Jersey are no longer around. In a way, thank goodness, I don't need to worry about them. In the last years of their lives, each of them were in and out of hospitals, emergency rooms, and short-care facilities for various underlying conditions where I had to worry about sepsis, cannot imagine worrying about CV now.

On the other hand, my 90 year old father-in-law, who is still going strong, and his lady friend, still plan on going on a 2 week cruise in April through the Caribbean ... but that's because he listens to Trump who says, well, you know what he says but it's what he doesn't say that is concerning.

My oldest millennial daughter has a trip planned to Italy in June to distribute the ashes of her husband's grandmother. She insists that they are only going to "southern Italy" so they are safe, besides, they are in their upper 20s and the virus is only affecting "old people with underlying issues, already with one foot out the door and that the flu kills more people every season." My response: Oh, like me and Dad?!? (Thanks Trump for brainwashing her).

My youngest millennial daughter, who backpacked around the world and has now settled in NYC, says she loves the cleaner (bleached) subways, is not worried about the virus affecting her at her age, and at one time was drooling over the reduced airfares around the world (OMG, Mom, $200 round-trip flights to Morocco!!). She just now booked a business trip to Los Angeles at the end of the month, so jumping on a plane at this moment means nothing to her.

You can only do so much to advise others around us. I have had similar experiences with close friends and family.

One thing I am really concerned about is this sort of statement I see one of your relatives made above
"the virus is only affecting "old people with underlying issues,"

I have seen this mentioned by my own friends and it really should state:

"the virus is only mainly KILLING old people with underlying issues,"

Its not that it is not "affecting" others from all age groups. I wish I would have saved a small article from one of the updates. The Virus was found in about 5 people and the ages of those people was all over the place. A 20 year old, a 30-40 year old, etc.

I think a lot of people are confusing who is actually "affected and gets sick" as compared to the proper statement that its mainly KILLING older folks.
Its a big difference. And yea, it may be true that the younger folks who get it may have milder symptoms or be able to kick it out sooner, but its not like younger folks arent being affected and catching the virus.

We have to be really careful what the young folks are believing about who gets it and becomes sick.

Tito's Vodka does not want people using its liquor to make hand sanitizer

"Per the CDC, hand sanitizer needs to contain at least 60% alcohol. Tito's Handmade Vodka is 40% alcohol, and therefore does not meet the current recommendation of the CDC. Please see attached for more information," Tito's Vodka has tweeted.

More on DIY hand sanitizer: The World Health Organization has published an official guide to making hand sanitizer.

Live updates: Coronavirus outbreak spreads across the world - CNN

If I was making my own, I would try and get ahold of some Everclear 190 proof. A lot cheaper than Tito's and a heck of a lot stronger. It isn't legal at that strength in all states, though.

Don't drink the stuff straight. It'll kill you.

Tito's Vodka does not want people using its liquor to make hand sanitizer

"Per the CDC, hand sanitizer needs to contain at least 60% alcohol. Tito's Handmade Vodka is 40% alcohol, and therefore does not meet the current recommendation of the CDC. Please see attached for more information," Tito's Vodka has tweeted.

More on DIY hand sanitizer: The World Health Organization has published an official guide to making hand sanitizer.

Live updates: Coronavirus outbreak spreads across the world - CNN
Well that answers that. Mine is currently at 70% and water thin. Will need to research some natural thickening agents that can be used at a low enough % to have an effect. Don’t want to dilute my material below 60%.

How about TP :confused:
Didn’t check. I’m pretty well stocked. I have a large refill bottle of sanitizer, but my car sanitizer bottle is old and sad, having been refilled many times and frankly, abused like the rest of the stuff in my car. I wanted to replace it. I called my mom to be sure she has enough. She probably does, but I thought I’d look for an extra bottle for her, my workplace, and my car. Plus, I was curious. Called another Dollar General in the next town and they were out, too. So that was 4 places checked.

There was plenty of alcohol, so I bought another bottle since I use it for my injections and for sterilizing tools I use to “home-vet” the animals (I have a chicken prone to bumble-foot, for one thing, and a cat who gets injections).

I posted about the shortage on FB and some nimrod I’m ready to delete (a vet tech, of all things!) responded that hand sanitizer is bad for you and it’s better to wash your hands. Well, no sh** Sherlock! But what do you do after touching carts, products, money, and touch screens and it’s 30 miles to home? Gross. I pointed this out, rather more politely than I’ve done here. She responded with more nonsense and I replied that I would be following the advice of the medical establishment. Her final reply? “You go girl.” What a little turd.

Has anyone seen WHAT they are treating positive people with? I've read those hospitalized are on antibiotics, fluids and some on respirators. If they release the protocol for which antibiotic, others could get a jump on it and prescribe THAT particular antibiotic for those that aren't able to be tested.

Noooooooo :eek::eek::eek:

These are High-Level I-V only antibiotics only available through hospital pharmacies and not for general public use.

It is extremely poor antibiotic stewardship to use these antibiotics without appropriate indications.

Creating another antibiotic-resistance problem for severe infections is not helping anything at all.

And VP Pence said just yesterday that every American can get tested. ( although I don't know what his definition of an American is)

Well that answers that. Mine is currently at 70% and water thin. Will need to research some natural thickening agents that can be used at a low enough % to have an effect. Don’t want to dilute my material below 70%.

I saw someone mention they used Aloe Vera Gel to mix with alcohol to make their own. Sounds like Aloe Gel is a good thickener.

You can only do so much to advise others around us. I have had similar experiences with close friends and family.

One thing I am really concerned about is this sort of statement I see one of your relatives made above
"the virus is only affecting "old people with underlying issues,"

I have seen this mentioned by my own friends and it really should state:

"the virus is only mainly KILLING old people with underlying issues,"

Its not that it is not "affecting" others from all age groups. I wish I would have saved a small article from one of the updates. The Virus was found in about 5 people and the ages of those people was all over the place. A 20 year old, a 30-40 year old, etc.

I think a lot of people are confusing who is actually "affected and gets sick" as compared to the proper statement that its mainly KILLING older folks.
Its a big difference. And yea, it may be true that the younger folks who get it may have milder symptoms or be able to kick it out sooner, but its not like younger folks arent being affected and catching the virus.

We have to be really careful what the young folks are believing about who gets it and becomes sick.
One of the deaths in Washington State was a 40 year old

I've thought about this reaction to vaccines. I think part of it is related to this. Those of us who are in the above 40/45 (I'm way over that!) group grew up experiencing some of these "childhood illnesses". I had a friend who's mom walked with a brace because of childhood polio. I had a little 7 year old friend hospitalized for measles related Pneumonia. I still remember going to wave to her through the hospital window. She was in bed in an oxygen tent. It was so scary to me! Another died of the flu at 9 years old. :( And suffering through these illnesses was no joke!!
The under 40/45 group have not had the same experiences we did. They don't know the true fear, misery or danger of these childhood diseases. And I hope that vaccines continue to be given so that they NEVER do!
This is where I can imagine the virus infecting the homeless. If it does, I forsee big problems.

Oh, that would be a nightmare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member