Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If making your own hand sanitizer "Remember, you are looking for aloe vera gel, not the liquid."

Additionally, hand sanitizer is great in a pinch but isn't as good at disinfecting as soap and water with good friction.
"In the letter, the agency cites the Purell website acknowledging that the FDA “does not allow hand sanitizer brands to make viral claims.” Still, the website says that the main ingredient in sanitizer products — alcohol — is effective at killing or inactivating enveloped viruses, like Ebola and the flu."

So if using hand sanitizer, wash your hands well with soap and water when you are able.

FDA warns Purell its products can't treat or prevent viruses

Last edited:
Um. No mention of the elevators and hence all the other floors?

Also, on the last thread @Lilibet said: "But if you tested positive, can you imagine trying to remember everywhere you had been in the past 2-3 weeks?! Every random contact at the quick stop or coffee kiosk? I guess we all need to start keeping diaries"

I actually started doing this last night. Just a little draft email where I will add a line each night noting where I went and who I had contact with that day.

I don't live in an area with existing cases, but I'm sure it will show up eventually, and I want to already be in the habit of that daily note-taking before I end up in a situation where I'm being asked to recall my activities (and during a time when I might not be feeling at my best). It's an easy enough thing to do and I'm a strong believer in the usefulness of habits and routines.

Do you have a droid phone? If so, do you know (or others here ) to click on a not well known place on your phone to get your travels 24/7 ? Is there a need for a PSA for folks on how to get to that on folks phones that haven't know that (spoke about before on threads that I had no idea until a case months ago on WS I found such)

Tito's Vodka does not want people using its liquor to make hand sanitizer

"Per the CDC, hand sanitizer needs to contain at least 60% alcohol. Tito's Handmade Vodka is 40% alcohol, and therefore does not meet the current recommendation of the CDC. Please see attached for more information," Tito's Vodka has tweeted.

More on DIY hand sanitizer: The World Health Organization has published an official guide to making hand sanitizer.

Live updates: Coronavirus outbreak spreads across the world - CNN

ATLANTA — Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp will hold a Thursday afternoon press conference regarding coronavirus.

The 4 p.m. event will include Dr. Kathleen Toomey, Commissioner of the Georgia Department of Public Health; Dr. Cherie Drenzek, State Epidemiologist; and Coronavirus Task Force members.

The governor's office said Kemp and other state leaders will give an update on recent discussions with federal officials regarding coronavirus preparedness, as well as the state's ability to now test COVID-19 kits at the Georgia Public Health Laboratory in Decatur.

Gov. Kemp, officials to give coronavirus update

Please link anyone if you find a live link for such for WS folks that are not local, TIA

Someone posted that article on the Blue Great Wall. I wasn't able to read on the NYT but found it here. I've been making preparations for our situation to be similar to what's going on in China. I mean it happened there first...where else do we look? This is just depressing. I wonder just how long this nightmare we are entering is going to last. :/

A ‘Blue Great Wall’ divides a city as it battles the coronavirus

I don't think US has a battle plan or phases....every state for itself.....IMO

“England's Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Professor Chris Whitty announced in front of a committee of lawmakers that the UK was moving largely into the 'delay' phase of their coronavirus battle plan and away from `containment'.” Avian Flu Diary: UK CMO: Moving Into The `Delay' Phase Of COVID-19 Response

Has anyone seen WHAT they are treating positive people with? I've read those hospitalized are on antibiotics, fluids and some on respirators. If they release the protocol for which antibiotic, others could get a jump on it and prescribe THAT particular antibiotic for those that aren't able to be tested.

Doctor issues stark warning to Congress: "Don’t just get up there and say this is a flu"

Dr. Peter Hotez, professor and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, warned members of Congress Thursday against minimizing the risks of novel coronavirus in the United States, calling it “the angel of death for older individuals.”

During the House Committee on House Science, Space and Technology, Oklahoma Rep. Frank Lucas asked what advice he could take home to the public to not prevent panic and instill reasonable steps to avoid spread.

“In an attempt to calm public fears, you’re hearing things like it’s a mild illness, this is like flu. It’s not really the case because this is an unusual virus. For many young people, especially, it is a mild illness, but we’re seeing some devastating things,” Hotez responded.

Hotez said he’s particularly concerned about first responders, health care workers and nursing homes, saying that when the virus entered the Life Care Center in Kirkland, Washington, it “rolled through it like a train” and led to several deaths.

“This is like the angel of death for older individuals. We need to go back and support all of our nursing home — I don’t know what we’re doing wrong,” Hotez said. “Clearly that nursing home was not prepared for this, and I’m going to guess nursing homes across Oklahoma are not prepared, as well."

“Don’t just get up there and say this is a flu, this is a mild illness," he added. "One, it’s not true and people in Oklahoma are pretty smart and will figure that out pretty quickly. Second, explain what the risks are … and here are the steps that we’re doing to mitigate that.”

Attorney case....

BREAKING: The first public school district in New York has announced it will close in response to coronavirus. Coronavirus News: 1st public school district in New York closes in response to COVID-19

Hastings-on-Hudson School District announced Wednesday that it will close all its schools Thursday and Friday to sanitize the building, making it the first public school district in the area to do so.

The school superintendent announced the plan after they were notified a parent whose children attend school in the district was physically present in a location that was closed due to contact with a person under quarantine.

Coronavirus News: 1st public school district in New York closes in response to COVID-19

The family of Coronaviruses is ubiquitous and highly prone to mutations, even more so than Influenza viruses, or the common rhinoviruses and adenoviruses that cause common colds.

It has been very difficult to isolate the common genetic base pair or sequence that will be immunogenic enough to confer immunity on the genera of Coronaviruses as a whole.

Even though MERS and SARS have given us heads up in the past about the severe pathogenicity of these strains, the relatively few cases has limited support for vaccines for these viruses.

We may have a vaccine of some efficacy against COVID-19 in 18 months. But it will not likely be enough to prevent the next coronavirus mutation to sweep into an epidemic. So scientists and vaccine manufacturers will have to be surveying and promoting the next set of COVID's before the COVID-19 is even released.

IMHO - the biggest issue is the race against time before COVID-19 has a chance to mutate so many times that it will be as uncontrollable as the flu is currently. If that happens, this will become as seasonal as the flu, but Coronaviruses have a history of producing MUCH higher mortality rates.
I know the biggest issue right now is finding a way to deal with what’s at hand, but in the bigger scheme of things, the race against time is the greater concern.

All Moo.....

I've thought about this reaction to vaccines. I think part of it is related to this. Those of us who are in the above 40/45 (I'm way over that!) group grew up experiencing some of these "childhood illnesses". I had a friend who's mom walked with a brace because of childhood polio. I had a little 7 year old friend hospitalized for measles related Pneumonia. I still remember going to wave to her through the hospital window. She was in bed in an oxygen tent. It was so scary to me! Another died of the flu at 9 years old. :( And suffering through these illnesses was no joke!!
The under 40/45 group have not had the same experiences we did. They don't know the true fear, misery or danger of these childhood diseases. And I hope that vaccines continue to be given so that they NEVER do!
I had Scarlett fever and @ 22 measles , I think I have major depressive issues from the SF . life long , So I agree with you!!!

Do you think people are over reacting or under reacting to the virus?

BTW, my husband asked me to price cruises to Alaska from Seattle. He thinks that they are probably a bargain. He is right, down to 86% off on some ships.

@Tbone144, Which brand of aloe gel did you use? I was going to test 2 brands tomorrow to see which works best.
Fruit of the Earth crystal clear aloe gel healing therapy. Something has definitely fallen out of solution either a stabilizer or preservative. With time the gel seems to be going into solution. I kept a bit off to the side to see if it would thin with time. Still doesn’t help with viscosity of the material, it’s water thin. Some type of natural Viscosity enhancer would be needed to make it thicker. My hand sanitizer advertises as 70% alcohol so I don’t want to dilute it too much, I’ve seen some with 60% on the bottle. What it doesn’t tell me is it 60% alcohol the active ingredient they started with or is 60% alcohol the finished concentration. I guess I’ll go down a rabbit hole at lunch and see if I can find some SDS on these, that should have final concentration estimates in the product.

Doctor issues stark warning to Congress: "Don’t just get up there and say this is a flu"

Dr. Peter Hotez, professor and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, warned members of Congress Thursday against minimizing the risks of novel coronavirus in the United States, calling it “the angel of death for older individuals.”

During the House Committee on House Science, Space and Technology, Oklahoma Rep. Frank Lucas asked what advice he could take home to the public to not prevent panic and instill reasonable steps to avoid spread.

“In an attempt to calm public fears, you’re hearing things like it’s a mild illness, this is like flu. It’s not really the case because this is an unusual virus. For many young people, especially, it is a mild illness, but we’re seeing some devastating things,” Hotez responded.

Hotez said he’s particularly concerned about first responders, health care workers and nursing homes, saying that when the virus entered the Life Care Center in Kirkland, Washington, it “rolled through it like a train” and led to several deaths.

“This is like the angel of death for older individuals. We need to go back and support all of our nursing home — I don’t know what we’re doing wrong,” Hotez said. “Clearly that nursing home was not prepared for this, and I’m going to guess nursing homes across Oklahoma are not prepared, as well."

“Don’t just get up there and say this is a flu, this is a mild illness," he added. "One, it’s not true and people in Oklahoma are pretty smart and will figure that out pretty quickly. Second, explain what the risks are … and here are the steps that we’re doing to mitigate that.”

I wish I could like this a million times!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214