Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy, those Chinese leaders are always on their media lies and distortions.
I really don't care about the Cherry Blossoms.
How about being truthful!!!
How are your citizens China?
I'm going to take an educated guess, that this is one of many propaganda stories coming.
Everything is a okay in China!
We promise to not serve bat soup, or dogs and cats on our restaurant menus.
Too little, too late for me.

http://www.china.org.cn/photos/2020-03/05/content_75776305_3.htm
Cherry blossoms are seen at Wuhan University in Wuhan, capital of central China's Hubei Province, March 3, 2020. [China News Service/Zhang Chang]

Community Message - 3.4.20 - EvergreenHealth

"
In partnership with the CDC, we have updated our screening guidelines for COVID-19.

As of March 3, 2020, we have halted performing nasopharyngeal testing in our outpatient clinics, including all five urgent care locations.

Here’s why:

• The CDC has determined that COVID-19 is now endemic, meaning that the virus is now considered to be regularly found in our region amongst our population. Previously, only individuals who had previously known risk factors (including history of travel, exposure to a confirmed case), were considered high risk for acquiring the disease.
  • There is increased risk of transmission when performing any nasopharyngeal testing.
Screening

• Patients will continue to be seen in our clinics. The risk of transmission is low when the patient and clinician are masked, similar to influenza. Patients will be treated based on clinical presentation, just without nasopharyngeal testing.
  • Patients who are asymptomatic (not experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19) will be seen as usual."
Wow

Smart.

It would be awful.
No doubt.
Very awful.
Thankfully, I do not see there being a food shortage due to this.
Maybe a few items due to precautions being taken on food transport from certain countries.
But, starvation for 1st world countries? No.
The poor nation's people are who I worry about.

Thankfully I don’t see food shortages either, as I said in one of the polls that I do believe America is land of the plenty; however it’s the logistics of risking exposure associated with going to the store that concerns me. That’s why I prefer to get some things in advance, not because I’m worried about shortages per say, but more worried about contamination and exposure, moo.

Last edited:
This is my simple math and I don't think it's a worse case.
The high risk group is baby boomers, over 60. There are 73 million in the US.
11 million - 15% of them get the virus (little lower than other countries)
1 million - 10% require hospitalization....so our hospitals are over-run. We don't even have this many beds open.
550,000 deaths- 5% of infected die....much, much lower % than other countries.
It just gets worse with higher percentages.
Speed is survival....the faster we test, the faster we can save lives.....
Baby boomers are not all over 60, to start.

I don't think hospitals in US have nearly so much capacity.

No they don’t. No way. No how. And keep in mind that rural areas have had many hospitals close for lack of funding. At the link below there is a map showing the distribution of hospitals across the country.

Total Staffed Beds in All U.S. Hospitals 924,107

Fast Facts on U.S. Hospitals, 2020 | AHA

Quoting Otto from the last thread:

What's with the water and toilet paper. I just don't get it. Everyone's afraid of the virus so they line up together to buy odd stuff.

It's very strange. I have a hypothesis...it's like people are stockpiling for the apocalypse....could this be related to the popularity of TV shows like The Walking Dead?? Are people worried that that's what the world will look like for a few months?

What are you referring to?
Truly, please, reference what your talking about. This post tells me 0.

Is this for flipping real? They all gave up before they even started and just plan no containment at all? Is that what I've getting from all I'm reading tonight? No tests. Hope you don't die?

Well, i am now officially freaked: my husband and I are spending the winter in Fort Myers Florida (Lee County) where one woman has died (she had traveled internationally)- and there is another case here as well. This woman apparently died at Gulf Coast Hospital in South Fort Myers: Anyone else in this area and if so, are you concerned?

From the link:

"Vice President Mike Pence told reporters on Friday that 21 people tested positive for the coronavirus on the Grand Princess cruise ship docked off the California coast—but no one told the patients they had COVID-19 before the announcement. According to CNN, an audio broadcast was made on the ship shortly after Pence talked about the number of infected. “We apologize, but we were not given advance notice of this announcement by the U.S. federal government,” the announcement said..."

*gasp* Stunning gaffe. Who is running the "communications" for this agency?

• March 6, 2020, 8:35 p.m. ET
"New York City officials pleaded with the federal government on Friday to send more diagnostic kits for the new coronavirus, saying in a letter that the city’s limited capacity to test had 'impeded our ability to beat back this epidemic'...

... C.D.C. had sent enough tests to public health labs across the country for 75,000 people, and that efforts were underway to help the 'private sector and hospitals' start testing for the virus....

Without ramping up testing, public health officials are unlikely to learn the extent of transmission in New York City — a critical piece of information for deciding what types of measures to take in response."

Coronavirus in N.Y.: City Pleads for More Tests as Cases Rise

Absolutely true. Our hospital had to close three years ago due to nonpayment by it's patients.
I live in a community with a very high amount of illegal immigrants. I live in Southern California.
No politics. Just facts.

I sympathize. It’s hard to lose y0ur hospital and it’s a problem everywhere. In fact the Netflix series “Pandemic” that I keep promoting follows the story of the only doctor at a community hospital in rural Oklahoma. I know our hospital here in Southern Oregon absorbs a lot of unpaid bills. They joined a regional hospital group several years ago for that reason, among others.

*gasp* Stunning gaffe. Who is running the "communications" for this agency?
Not sure what the problem is. Those people knew perfectly well why they were confined to a boat and what the testing was for. The results, considering all but 2 are crew, are pretty good news, actually.

Well, yeah!
We are flight or fight animals at our core.
But, we are also the most intelligent species on this planet.
For me.
Gathering food, supplies and medicene was an absolute. I would call that primal and instinctive.
This is what we're witnessing around the world.
I actually applaud this.
There's actually still people who get their face out of their cellphones, and take care of survival business. Thank God.

Quoting Otto from the last thread:

It's very strange. I have a hypothesis...it's like people are stockpiling for the apocalypse....could this be related to the popularity of TV shows like The Walking Dead?? Are people worried that that's what the world will look like for a few months?

Community Message - 3.4.20 - EvergreenHealth

"
In partnership with the CDC, we have updated our screening guidelines for COVID-19.

As of March 3, 2020, we have halted performing nasopharyngeal testing in our outpatient clinics, including all five urgent care locations. ( BBM)

Here’s why:
  • There is increased risk of transmission when performing any nasopharyngeal testing.
Screening

• Patients will continue to be seen in our clinics. The risk of transmission is low when the patient and clinician are masked, similar to influenza. Patients will be treated based on clinical presentation, just without nasopharyngeal testing.
  • Patients who are asymptomatic (not experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19) will be seen as usual."
Wow

There is increased risk of transmission when performing any nasopharyngeal testing.

WAIT A MINUTE: Doing MILLIONS of NP swabs is basically what CDC is ramping up to do right now. Like the One and Only thing they seem to be focused on.

Now Washington State is determining THIS is bad to do...:eek:

Uh OH. Uh OH. Uh OH.

Medical Experts need to get on the same page and get their act together.

Not sure what the problem is. Those people knew perfectly well why they were confined to a boat and what the testing was for. The results, considering all but 2 are crew, are pretty good news, actually.
It's not the news itself, but the way it was delivered.

And, it is the news itself. People would like to think it's not expected they will have the virus.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member