Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
huffing and puffing to finally catch up. Man, it's crazy out there. BDE's postings about Pimal Roots made me curious. Thought that might be something to add to isolation supplies. Walgreens had three bottles. Bought one. Going back tomorrow for the other two

Quoting Otto from the last thread:

It's very strange. I have a hypothesis...it's like people are stockpiling for the apocalypse....could this be related to the popularity of TV shows like The Walking Dead?? Are people worried that that's what the world will look like for a few months?
I’ll be honest, that show ran through my head when I was preparing. “What are they always short on?” Then realized I hadn’t really watched enough to know more than ammo and first aid/meds. Tomorrow I pick up some more hay and shavings and then we just replace what we use and are set for a lock down if we have to have one for about 6 weeks, at least with regard to the animals. I’m short on P-word vodka and DH ate all his p-word candy so tomorrow I’ll resupply. We both have to travel in the next two weeks. Me “locally” across TX and him domestic, TX to NC to AZ and then home. I’m not happy about it but work seems to be in denial.

ETA; I don’t remember toilet paper being an issue on the show, but again I didn’t watch very much. I’m not sure what possessed me to stock up other than I usually keep quite a bit around. It may have been the early stories about gangs stealing toilet paper from many threads ago. I think that’s my motivation, not sure what’s driving everyone else.

Last edited:
Vent: it really ticked me off today that people said “it only affects really old people” (meaning so I shouldn’t care, as they obviously don’t)
...So what if it does? @gitana1 already addressed this beautifully when she talked about her incredible mom.

Anyway, that mentality is just wrong on so many levels and I’d heard you guys talking about this mentality before, but I hadn’t actually experienced it for myself until today.

I’m still reeling from all the idiots.

Vent: it really ticked me off today that people said “it only affects really old people” (meaning so I shouldn’t care, as they obviously don’t)
...So what if it does? @gitana1 already addressed this beautifully when she talked about her incredible mom.

Anyway, that mentality is just wrong on so many levels and I’d heard you guys talking about this mentality before, but I hadn’t actually experienced it for myself until today.

Apparently, I am one of those really old people, although I can fast-walk the pants off most ladies 30 years younger than me. I do have a tad of elevated blood pressure that makes me "at risk". I am fed up with the people who complain about all the "misinformation" out there making them just so very confused and stupid. What's to understand? This is a f'ing pandemic that will take years and many deaths before it ultimately comes to an end.

The point about it effectingly the elderly is that it's very similar to the flu in this way, and most people don't overly concern themselves about it. Indeed, the Corona virus seems to leave the very young relatively unscathed...which is excellent.

Really? How many people live in Fort Myers, Florida?
Okay. I'm sorry, truly, that you are freaked out.
BTW. If you are going to decide not to go, can I get your reservation info, because, I would like to go.
No kidding! PM me!

I don't think hospitals in US have nearly so much capacity.
Well, i am now officially freaked: my husband and I are spending the winter in Fort Myers Florida (Lee County) where one woman has died (she had traveled internationally)- and there is another case here as well. This woman apparently died at Gulf Coast Hospital in South Fort Myers: Anyone else in this area and if so, are you concerned?

Really. Great program.
I repeat. Our hospital was closed due to it going bankrupt due to non payment by
It's patients.
Furthermore, Medical treatment centers, including hospitals, have gone bankrupt
Due to non payment throughout Southern California.
Google it. Please.

That is interesting, because Emergency Medicaid was set up for that very issue. It covers all emergency care for undocumented people. Because hospitals on the border were going under by providing so many free deliveries for women without documents.

The real problem is United States citizens who do not have health insurance, and do not meet any criteria for Medicaid. Primarily men, without Dependents.

It seems like everyone is running around like a chicken without a head, without any idea about what to do, so they're tossing their hands in the air and deciding to treat it like any other flu.

It seems like everyone is running around like a chicken without a head, without any idea about what to do, so they're tossing their hands in the air and deciding to treat it like any other flu.
Well too bad for them. How much effort does it take to learn the facts? To apply logic and reason to decision making? I have no patience, absolutely no patience nor sympathy for those who refuse to accept reality.

Hey you all. I've spent days, reading all of your posts.
Most were intelligent, preparation in the earlier days.
I learned a lot, and I took your advise. Thankfully, our household has hand sanitizers, food, medicene, pet food and toiletries to last well over 2 weeks.
Just in case. Thank you posters here, for your sage advise.
With that said. I do not, see this virus ending the world as we know it.
It dies from handwashing and bleach.
The reason large corporations are cancelling events is because their insurance companies have told them they will not insure them against claims from people who claim they got sick at one of their events.
Yes. In America, insurance companies and lawyers rule the land.
Very sad but true.
Anyway, if ANYONE, here, or a family member gets diagnosed wigh this virus, I certainly will be amazed.
Let me know if that happens.
In the meantime, relax. Trust in Math. Go about your business with a hand sanitizer.
Sincerely, Kali in California

The point about it effectingly the elderly is that it's very similar to the flu in this way, and most people don't overly concern themselves about it. Indeed, the Corona virus seems to leave the very young relatively unscathed...which is excellent.

Have a look at what the virus did to this healthy man. Imagine that every 35 year old with the virus needs this level of care at the same time.

"On January 19, 2020, a 35-year-old man presented to an urgent care clinic in Snohomish County, Washington, with a 4-day history of cough and subjective fever. On checking into the clinic, the patient put on a mask in the waiting room. After waiting approximately 20 minutes, he was taken into an examination room and underwent evaluation by a provider. He disclosed that he had returned to Washington State on January 15 after traveling to visit family in Wuhan, China. The patient stated that he had seen a health alert from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) about the novel coronavirus outbreak in China and, because of his symptoms and recent travel, decided to see a health care provider."​

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001191

Well too bad for them. How much effort does it take to learn the facts? To apply logic and reason to decision making? I have no patience, absolutely no patience nor sympathy for those who refuse to accept reality.

What I find so strange is that everyone can look at China and learn how serious this virus is, yet they don't. They seem to think that they need to reinvent the wheel rather than learn from others.

What I find so strange is that everyone can look at China and learn how serious this virus is, yet they don't. They seem to think that they need to reinvent the wheel rather than learn from others.
Doesn't that lead one to ponder the evolution of the human brain? Some have. Others haven't.

There is increased risk of transmission when performing any nasopharyngeal testing.

WAIT A MINUTE: Doing MILLIONS of NP swabs is basically what CDC is ramping up to do right now. Like the One and Only thing they seem to be focused on.

Now Washington State is determining THIS is bad to do...:eek:

Uh OH. Uh OH. Uh OH.

Medical Experts need to get on the same page and get their act together.

IDK hard to get your mind around
Is it because it's endemic now, occuring at a predictable rate,
that symptoms are addressed without the need for testing.

Doesn't that lead one to ponder the evolution of the human brain? Some have. Others haven't.

It's almost legitimate to question whether there is a problem where people think that Asians are aliens who have a strange weakness to viruses.

I think part of the problem is that the virus really has been described as an old, sick people problem. However, in reading about it, my impression is that people of all ages can become very sick and require medical care. Those who recover may have permanent damage to lungs and other internal organs. This would mean that there will be reduced life expectancy.

It's also possible that there will be a second wave. Going from memory, but didn't the 1918 flu hit a different age group in the second more deadly wave?

Here's the article that concludes that Asians may have less resistance to the virus. It doesn't mean that it's true, because the only data available today is the Asian population. Maybe the article will have different conclusions after the virus has infected non-Asian communities.

"In summary, we systematically analyzed coding-region variants in ACE2and the eQTL variants, which may affect the expression of ACE2 using the GTEx database to compare the genomic characteristics of ACE2among different populations. Our findings indicated that no direct evidence was identified genetically supporting the existence of coronavirus S-protein binding-resistant ACE2 mutants in different populations (Fig. 1a). The data of variant distribution and AFs may contribute to the further investigations of ACE2, including its roles in acute lung injury and lung function12. The East Asian populations have much higher AFs in the eQTL variants associated with higher ACE2 expression in tissues (Fig. 1c), which may suggest different susceptibility or response to 2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2 from different populations under the similar conditions."​

Comparative genetic analysis of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2) receptor ACE2 in different populations

I think the point that most people are missing is the tremendous effort that China made to control the virus. If other countries assume that it should be treated like any other flu, then they will not make any effort to control the virus and perhaps it will be 10 times worse.

I'm actually worried about the states. First the test didn't work, then there aren't enough tests, now the attitude in some places is that there's no point in testing - just treat the symptoms. That's just fine until health care workers are too sick to work and there are not enough beds for all the 35 year olds who require medical care.

February 29

upload_2020-3-6_23-22-10.png

March 6

upload_2020-3-6_23-22-40.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics