Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohio checking 5 for coronavirus; more testing labs open

Ohio now testing 5 people for coronavirus. Heard an interview on tv with the head of one of our NE Ohio medical complexes. He said they will be doing their own testing, as will MetroHealth (the big county hospital). That's great news. He re-iterated the message the docs are giving the governor - its only a matter of time before it reveals itself in Ohio.

JMO, I think its already in Ohio and has been for a while.

Mexico plays down chance that Grand Princess spread coronavirus, but questions multiply

From the end of the article:
Her friend, Elva Rizzie, also from Oxnard, however, seemed less than pleased to be talking about it.

“I don’t want to hear it,” she said. “Go away.”

It just seems to me a good part of our populance thinks we as Americans are somehow different and exceptional from the rest of the world, that our govt and our systems will just take care of it. And our govt apparently thinks the WHO are not worthy of being listened to...completely disgusted at times with being an American these days.

Mexico plays down chance that Grand Princess spread coronavirus, but questions multiply

From the end of the article:
Her friend, Elva Rizzie, also from Oxnard, however, seemed less than pleased to be talking about it.

“I don’t want to hear it,” she said. “Go away.”

It just seems to me a good part of our populance thinks we as Americans are somehow different and exceptional from the rest of the world, that our govt and our systems will just take care of it. And our govt apparently thinks the WHO are not worthy of being listened to...completely disgusted at times with being an American these days.
Agreed....I expect a grand learning to occur on a tragic level.....

The Royal Princess cruise has been cancelled. Passengers waited all day in Los Angeles to board. But reportedly a crew member from Grand Princess had transferred to Royal Princess and that led to the cruise being cancelled. Passengers not happy.
Steve Lookner on Twitter
Dumbbells. Their lives just may have been saved.

To me, the best things to do are wash hands with soap and water and to keep hands off the face.

But, I was thinking that since this virus hits deep in the lungs, maybe it's a good idea to do what we can for the health of our lungs? Here's some tips on that I found online by consulting Dr. Google:

1. Don't smoke, or stop smoking.

2. Exercise. "Just as exercise keeps your body in shape, it keeps your lungs in shape too."

3. Avoid exposure to pollutants.

4. Prevent infections. "The best way to avoid lung infections is to keep your hands clean. Wash regularly with warm water and soap, and avoid touching your face as much as possible."

5. Breathe deeply. "If you’re like many people, you take shallow breaths from your chest area, using only a small portion of your lungs. Deep breathing helps clear the lungs and creates a full oxygen exchange.... To try it yourself, sit somewhere quietly, and slowly breathe in through your nose alone. Then breathe out at least twice as long through your mouth. It may help to count your breaths. For example, as y ou inhale count 1-2-3-4. Then as you exhale, count 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8."

from 5 Ways to Keep Your Lungs Healthy and Whole

Someone might, rightly, point out that you could do all this and still get the virus. True. But the point is, there are things we all can do ourselves that could be useful (and are good to do anyway).

jmo

Someone mentioned this on tv earlier. Many of these people at NIH, CDC, etc. are civil service. Trump/Pence will have a difficult time kicking them out of their jobs. They're regarded as heroes by their peers in the medical community, so they have a lot of allies.

I think more docs, nurses, etc. are waking up to the perils to their group if the pandemic is poorly handled. They face greater risk of illness and death, their hospitals and clinics will be bankrupted. It takes them a while to come around, when it comes to talking back to public officials, but when they do they don't back down from science.

Dr. Fauci is impressive! And he’s 79 years old!

Anthony S. Fauci, M.D. | NIH: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases

Anthony S. Fauci - Wikipedia

He won’t be kicked out of his job, but he can “disappear” from the team and be less visible. But I hope not.

Wow, a peak at Easter. Just think of all of the festivities planned for that time of year that may be cancelled. Religious services, egg hunts, Spring Flings, family get togethers, etc. There will be lots of disappointed people I am sure.
Easter this year is April 12, with Orthodox Easter on April 19.

Here we go......finally....I'll be ecstatic if he does it.
Woe, he danced around a lockdown....

NEW: Washington state Governor Inslee says he's considering "mandatory measures" to stop the spread of coronavirus Face The Nation on Twitter

YES! And to think he’s been called a “snake.” :mad: Regarding a lockdown, I expect he is dancing around that to avoid a mass exodus from Seattle as just happened in Italy.

⚠️We’re getting a better sense as the days go by” of the scope of the outbreak in the US, Fauci said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “Unfortunately, that better sense is not encouraging, because we’re seeing community spread.”

COVID19 on Twitter

“If you’re a vulnerable person, take it seriously, because particularly when you have community spread, you may not know at any given time that there are people who are infected. It’s common-sense stuff.” -Fauci

COVID19 on Twitter

To me, the best things to do are wash hands with soap and water and to keep hands off the face.

But, I was thinking that since this virus hits deep in the lungs, maybe it's a good idea to do what we can for the health of our lungs? Here's some tips on that I found online by consulting Dr. Google:

1. Don't smoke, or stop smoking.

2. Exercise. "Just as exercise keeps your body in shape, it keeps your lungs in shape too."

3. Avoid exposure to pollutants.

4. Prevent infections. "The best way to avoid lung infections is to keep your hands clean. Wash regularly with warm water and soap, and avoid touching your face as much as possible."

5. Breathe deeply. "If you’re like many people, you take shallow breaths from your chest area, using only a small portion of your lungs. Deep breathing helps clear the lungs and creates a full oxygen exchange.... To try it yourself, sit somewhere quietly, and slowly breathe in through your nose alone. Then breathe out at least twice as long through your mouth. It may help to count your breaths. For example, as y ou inhale count 1-2-3-4. Then as you exhale, count 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8."

from 5 Ways to Keep Your Lungs Healthy and Whole

Someone might, rightly, point out that you could do all this and still get the virus. True. But the point is, there are things we all can do ourselves that could be useful (and are good to do anyway).

jmo

Good suggestions. Thanks!

I don't know....let's say bottleneck for serious tests that need to be done....

NEW: Testing for the novel coronavirus will get a huge boost in the coming weeks as a project funded by Bill Gates and his foundation begins offering home-testing kits that will allow people to swab their noses and send the samples back for analysis. Gates-funded program will soon offer home-testing kits for new coronavirus

I was just going to have us start making predictions about how long Dr. Fauci will be kept on the “team” and/or allowed to speak freely. It’s almost like he’s pushing the envelope as far as he can.

I noticed that this morning. He must not have read the memo that going on cruises is perfectly fine. (Cue "Hotel California" music). You can check in any time you like, you just can never leave"

Another article looking into enzyme and populations:

"A novel coronavirus (2019-nCov) was identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China in December of 2019. This new coronavirus has resulted in thousands of cases of lethal disease in China, with additional patients being identified in a rapidly growing number internationally. 2019-nCov was reported to share the same receptor, Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), with SARS-Cov. Here based on the public database and the state-of-the-art single-cell RNA-Seq technique, we analyzed the ACE2 RNA expression profile in the normal human lungs. The result indicates that the ACE2 virus receptor expression is concentrated in a small population of type II alveolar cells (AT2). Surprisingly, we found that this population of ACE2-expressing AT2 also highly expressed many other genes that positively regulating viral reproduction and transmission. A comparison between eight individual samples demonstrated that the Asian male one has an extremely large number of ACE2-expressing cells in the lung. This study provides a biological background for the epidemic investigation of the 2019-nCov infection disease, and could be informative for future anti-ACE2 therapeutic strategy development."​

Single-cell RNA expression profiling of ACE2, the putative receptor of Wuhan 2019-nCov

Thanks for bringing that paper back to new folks. It has been discussed since thread #1, and keeps appearing in the media.

This is a study that was done retrospectively on just 8 patients and was in the media in the beginning to show that asians were predisposed. The scientific community has tried to bury that poor paper. It's scientifically dead, but MSM keeps finding it. A study of 8 people and one asian and they made the conclusion. No! scientists say re asian predispostion all say. MOO

But this keyed many of us here on thread #1/#2 that the ACE-2 receptor is where the COVID-19 attacks. It is in cells the lower lungs at the alveoli level where oxygen transfer happens, not an upper respiratory disease. Dr. C and Dr. Sh.. videos have covered this also.

The virus attacks the ACE-2 receptors on those cells where oxygen transfers at the alveoli level and infects those cells.. multiplies.. the alveoli and lung cells fill with fluid, and cannot transfer oxygen to the blood due to the fluid in the cells (creating ground glass appearance on xray, better seen on CT scans)

.. then the cell dies from infection and the viruses get released and multiply multiply multiply to do the same thing to other lung cells.

And when those cells of the lining die.. it leaves a spot for bacteria to come to that unprotected area where the cell was... and therefore give secondary bacterial infections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member