Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the delineation of high risk in the Chinese results. It might be worse or better here or even affect another age group, but you gotta start somewhere. I'm 59, so throwing myself in that group and isolating....
If you are working, take precautions depending on what you do. Don't hang out at the water cooler. Use hand sanitizer. Keep your distance.
Well, I'm 60+and working in an emergency room, at times with the nurses in the pretriage, and I handle the id-cards of the patients to register them, so the only thing I can do is use hand sanitizer at work. Luckily I'm still basically healthy, compared to many patients even in my age, or younger, so I'm hoping for the best, and use the hand sanitizer, for the benefit of the patients, so that they won't catch the virus. Of course I don't want to catch the virus, but if I do, hopefully it will be in a mild form.

Thanks for bringing that paper back to new folks. It has been discussed since thread #1, and keeps appearing in the media.

This is a study that was done retrospectively on just 8 patients and was in the media in the beginning to show that asians were predisposed. The scientific community has tried to bury that poor paper. It's scientifically dead, but MSM keeps finding it. A study of 8 people and one asian and they made the conclusion. No! scientists say re asian predispostion all say. MOO

But this keyed many of us here on thread #1/#2 that the ACE-2 receptor is where the COVID-19 attacks. It is in cells the lower lungs at the alveoli level where oxygen transfer happens, not an upper respiratory disease. Dr. C and Dr. Sh.. videos have covered this also.

The virus attacks the ACE-2 receptors on those cells where oxygen transfers at the alveoli level and infects those cells.. multiplies.. the alveoli and lung cells fill with fluid, and cannot transfer oxygen to the blood due to the fluid in the cells (creating ground glass appearance on xray, better seen on CT scans)

.. then the cell dies from infection and the viruses get released and multiply multiply multiply to do the same thing to other lung cells.

And when those cells of the lining die.. it leaves a spot for bacteria to come to that unprotected area where the cell was... and therefore give secondary bacterial infections.

Sooo...do those of us who take ACE2 inhibitors (for me lisinopril) have a greater susceptibility? Quite possible according to this but like everything else needs more study. Gah and I've had to up my dose because anxiety, grrr.

Re: Preventing a covid-19 pandemic: ACE inhibitors as a potential risk factor for fatal Covid-19

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.....if you are over 60 and/or have medical conditions, or have conditions at any age, begin to limit your exposure.
STAY HOME WHEN YOU CAN.
DO NOT FLY, CRUISE, OR BE IN LARGE CROWDS, INCLUDING CHURCH.
TAKE PRECAUTIONS.
DO NOT GO OUT TO EAT.
DO NOT GO TO MOVIES OR CONCERTS.
BUY YOUR GROCERIES ONLINE WITH DELIVERY IF POSSIBLE.
DO NOT GO TO DOCTOR UNLESS YOU ARE SICK.
DO NOT GO TO FUNERALS, WEDDINGS, OT PARTIES.
DO NOT GO VISIT ANYONE IN HOSPITAL.

I'm saying what Ben Carson should of said....Same thing I told my 80 year old parents.
-------------------------------------------
These decisions will be made at 11pm and next day kids at home. Immediate decisions.
Talk to your parents. They are in highest risk group. Tell them to stay at home.
Next 2-3 weeks will be disruptive w/ economic, social even political impact.
COVID19 on Twitter

Husband of sibling died. I'll be doing a 2-day road trip to gathering of friends/family vs. flying. I just cannot say no to my family of not being there at this time. I just cannot. We are at the "top" of the family line, so I cannot bow out. I will be limiting my exposure to such and having great social distance as I can at the gathering. I will not be staying as long as I want, and the discussion of me not doing so will just...let's say... not a time to discuss coronavirus. Emotions are high just mentioning on facebook, and would be dynamite if I brought up now. They don't know about it at all. I'll just have to continue to keep to myself so the discussion doesn't turn on my issue vs. the somber event and celebration of life I'm attending.

Don't know what else to do. Other than.. I have my zinc, I have my vitamin D, I have my knowledge (and I have my n95 masks, but I'll refrain from using at the wake iykwim) and get back home as I am over 60 and have one of those preexisting conditions that have been noted.

Husband of sibling died. I'll be doing a 2-day road trip to gathering of friends/family vs. flying. I just cannot say no to my family of not being there at this time. I just cannot. We are at the "top" of the family line, so I cannot bow out. I will be limiting my exposure to such and having great social distance as I can at the gathering. I will not be staying as long as I want, and the discussion of me not doing so will just...let's say... not a time to discuss coronavirus. Emotions are high just mentioning on facebook, and would be dynamite if I brought up now. They don't know about it at all. I'll just have to continue to keep to myself so the discussion doesn't turn on my issue vs. the somber event and celebration of life I'm attending.

Don't know what else to do. Other than.. I have my zinc, I have my vitamin D, I have my knowledge (and I have my n95 masks, but I'll refrain from using at the wake iykwim) and get back home as I am over 60 and have one of those preexisting conditions that have been noted.
Keep washing your hands throughout the visits and don't touch your face. Get as much as sleep as you can on your road trip. Keep hydrated. Check in when you return.

Condolences on your loss.

Steven Riley - Infectious Disease Scientist
Steven Riley on Twitter

#COVID19 is now a part of our world and things are different. Things will get back close to the old normal only when most people have immunity. We have two ways to get immunity - natural infection or vaccination, but vaccines don't yet exist. (1/n)

It may be then that most of us will acquire immunity via natural infection, but I do not accept that. I think it is worth the most incredible coordinated human effort to create slightly different societies in which the virus cannot spread widely. (2/n)

China, HK and Singapore have already created those societies. It may be that they cannot maintain the current status, but that's not the point. As of now, based on current rates of infection, only a very small proportion of these populations will be infected in 18 months.

Everywhere else needs to adopt the same strategy. We can either try now or we can try when the healthcare system falls over. But we will have to try.

Strategy does not equal policy. The strategy is to acheive ongoing control. Policies will vary and rapid innovation is required.

I have read some reports that 80% of the population will be fine, therefore people should carry on as usual. The point that is overlooked is that 80% stats come from China, where drastic measures have been taken. If nothing had been done, would those stats be the same?

A new column is added on the right of this graph: no. of cases per one million. That number is already higher for S. Korea, Iran, and Italy.

Mortality rates are 3.6% over age 60, 8% over age 70, 15% over age 80. The reason for the higher rates for older populations is due to higher incidence of another condition such as diabetes, or heart disease. People with diabetes of all ages are at higher risk, although more older people have diabetes.

"The median incubation period was 4 days (interquartile range, 2 to 7). The median age of the patients was 47 years (interquartile range, 35 to 58); 0.9% of the patients were younger than 15 years of age. A total of 41.9% were female. Fever was present in 43.8% of the patients on admission but developed in 88.7% during hospitalization. The second most common symptom was cough (67.8%); nausea or vomiting (5.0%) and diarrhea (3.8%) were uncommon. Among the overall population, 23.7% had at least one coexisting illness (e.g., hypertension and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).

On admission, the degree of severity of Covid-19 was categorized as nonsevere in 926 patients and severe in 173 patients. Patients with severe disease were older than those with nonsevere disease by a median of 7 years. Moreover, the presence of any coexisting illness was more common among patients with severe disease than among those with nonsevere disease (38.7% vs. 21.0%). However, the exposure history between the two groups of disease severity was similar."​

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2002032

upload_2020-3-8_10-43-2.png

Well, I'm 60+and working in an emergency room, at times with the nurses in the pretriage, and I handle the id-cards of the patients to register them, so the only thing I can do is use hand sanitizer at work. Luckily I'm still basically healthy, compared to many patients even in my age, or younger, so I'm hoping for the best, and use the hand sanitizer, for the benefit of the patients, so that they won't catch the virus. Of course I don't want to catch the virus, but if I do, hopefully it will be in a mild form.
Find you some N95s and guard them with your life....Hope you stay safe....

Some things are a higher priority than protecting ourselves. You’re doing a loving thing, and with your precautions you’ll do fine. Safe travels and condolences.

Very sorry to hear.....Take care....

I know. It’s hard. My niece is getting married on Good Friday. She’s planned for over a year. Big family gathering with many in the area but some out of town. My kids and their families for sure. My mom and brothers.

My condolences to you and your sibling. .

Last edited:
To me, the best things to do are wash hands with soap and water and to keep hands off the face.

But, I was thinking that since this virus hits deep in the lungs, maybe it's a good idea to do what we can for the health of our lungs? Here's some tips on that I found online by consulting Dr. Google:

1. Don't smoke, or stop smoking.

2. Exercise. "Just as exercise keeps your body in shape, it keeps your lungs in shape too."

3. Avoid exposure to pollutants.

4. Prevent infections. "The best way to avoid lung infections is to keep your hands clean. Wash regularly with warm water and soap, and avoid touching your face as much as possible."

5. Breathe deeply. "If you’re like many people, you take shallow breaths from your chest area, using only a small portion of your lungs. Deep breathing helps clear the lungs and creates a full oxygen exchange.... To try it yourself, sit somewhere quietly, and slowly breathe in through your nose alone. Then breathe out at least twice as long through your mouth. It may help to count your breaths. For example, as y ou inhale count 1-2-3-4. Then as you exhale, count 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8."

from 5 Ways to Keep Your Lungs Healthy and Whole

Someone might, rightly, point out that you could do all this and still get the virus. True. But the point is, there are things we all can do ourselves that could be useful (and are good to do anyway).

jmo

I would like to add that if you have allergies, asthma, COPD, chronic bronchitis, etc., be sure to use your medications regularly. Even when I'm completely asymptomatic (cough-variant asthma), I use my cortico-steroidal inhaler at least one puff per day and will increase the dosage if I start to feel my bronchioles "twitching". When that happens, I'll end up with a full-blown asthma episode with coughing day and night for days, weeks, or even months :eek: Be well.

Some things are a higher priority than protecting ourselves. You’re doing a loving thing, and with your precautions you’ll do fine. Safe travels and condolences.
I agree. And, if anyone notices you washing hands, etc. you can always say, "I'm feeling a bit under the weather and don't want to spread anything, just in case." People will get that, imo.

jmo

I am totally lost on the "over 60" designation. People are still working in their 60s!
jmo

Yes, retirement age for most Americans these days is 67. Most Americans over 60 can't afford to retire before then. Americans also aren't eligible for Medicare until age 65. Unless you're wealthy and can afford your own health insurance and to live without Social Security or a pension, most people have to keep working.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.....if you are over 60 and/or have medical conditions, or have conditions at any age, begin to limit your exposure.
STAY HOME WHEN YOU CAN.
DO NOT FLY, CRUISE, OR BE IN LARGE CROWDS, INCLUDING CHURCH.
TAKE PRECAUTIONS.
DO NOT GO OUT TO EAT.
DO NOT GO TO MOVIES OR CONCERTS.
BUY YOUR GROCERIES ONLINE WITH DELIVERY IF POSSIBLE.
DO NOT GO TO DOCTOR UNLESS YOU ARE SICK.
DO NOT GO TO FUNERALS, WEDDINGS, OT PARTIES.
DO NOT GO VISIT ANYONE IN HOSPITAL.

I'm saying what Ben Carson should of said....Same thing I told my 80 year old parents.
-------------------------------------------
These decisions will be made at 11pm and next day kids at home. Immediate decisions.
Talk to your parents. They are in highest risk group. Tell them to stay at home.
Next 2-3 weeks will be disruptive w/ economic, social even political impact.
COVID19 on Twitter
Not to mention what Ben Carson should not have said. The misinformation is outrageous.

The man is a doctor FFS! (Excuse my abbreviated emotions)

Last edited:
Nashville mayor announces first case in Nashville: Davidson County's first case of COVID-19 confirmed in Nashville; state's total cases now at 3

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — Davidson County's first case of COVID-19, also known as the new coronavirus, has been confirmed in Nashville.

Mayor John Cooper, along with city and state health officials, made the announcement during a press conference Sunday morning. They were informed of the county's first presumptive case by the Tennessee Department of Health Saturday night. They said this case of the virus is not travel-related.

The patient, described as an adult female, is a Nashville resident and has mild symptoms. She is in self-isolation at home and does not have a child in Metro Nashville Public Schools.

Sounds like it means it will spread more to the south and they won't be able to handle it as well. A tiny bit irresponsible I'm thinking. JMO

Hope you stay well.

The Italians are doing exactly what people in China and Iran have done - they think they are fine so they travel out of the quarantine region, spreading the virus to new regions. It seems to be human nature to put self-interest first regardless of consequences to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove