Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mortality rate is increased.

"World health officials said Tuesday the mortality rate for COVID-19 is 3.4% globally, higher than previous estimates of about 2%.

Health officials have said the respiratory disease is capable of spreading through human-to-human contact, droplets carried through sneezing and coughing and germs left on inanimate objects."​

FRI, MAR 6
Coronavirus cases surpass 100,000 worldwide while US deaths top 14

Leaked coronavirus plan to quarantine 16m sparks chaos in Italy
Italy has been plunged into chaos after details of a plan to quarantine more than 16 million people in the north amid an escalating coronavirus outbreak were leaked to the press, sending thousands into panic as they tried to flee south.

The whole of Lombardy, including its financial capital of Milan, and 14 provinces across the worst-affected northern regions, have been shut down until 3 April as Italy grapples to contain the spread of a virus as deaths rose from 233 to 366, with 6,387 current cases overall.

Thousands crowded train stations in Lombardy or jumped into their cars after details of a draft decree banning people from leaving or entering the region were revealed by Corriere della Sera late on Saturday afternoon.

On Sunday morning dozens of police officers and medics wearing masks and hazmat suits waited in Salerno, in Campania, for passengers who had boarded overnight trains from Lombardy. The passengers will be registered and obliged to self-quarantine as fears mount over the virus’s spread in the south.

Leaked coronavirus plan to quarantine 16m sparks chaos in Italy | Coronavirus outbreak | The Guardian

Apparently the world learned nothing from Wuhan...

The whole work situation is going to get sticky. I sneezed the other day at work, my boss asked if I was "okay". Yes, but I do get seasonal allergies. Geez! It is spring, pollen is flying around.

Where I work there doesn't seem to be much concern of those coughing and sneezing, at least among the majority in our work area. Tomorrow morning I have a meeting and I know of two people who will be there who have just returned from international travels. Not to "hot spot" countries, but who knows who they interacted with abroad at conferences and also travel on international flights. I am going to try to choose where I sit with this in mind, but it's a small conference room for about 12 people.

Obviously US hasn't tested enough for good data.....

Coronavirus cases per 10 million of population across countries with the highest number of cases. I have added Sweden and Belgium to the graph.
I am sorry I have not responded to your comments on the previous post, was not expecting such an overwhelming response. Behrooz Hassani-M on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200308_134937.jpg
    IMG_20200308_134937.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 22
CDC is now investigating potential spread of coronavirus through services at Christ Church in Georgetown and DC urging temporary halt in services there, due to frequent presence of man in his 50s who is DCs first confirmed case
https://t.co/K6pGy7hWCU

2) Update: the DC infected person has self identified himself - he’s the rector of the Christ Church of Georgetown! He shakes hundreds of hands a week... oh boy on boy... Andrew Leyden on Twitter

In their situation I might rather be fired...I think they are staying on out of a sense of duty...as my son says I would be afraid if I quit that I would be replaced by someone incompetent...
But not everybody can afford to be fired. If you are fired, and have no source of income, and going to end up on the street-that's not something people would want.

Coronavirus: Two new cases in Ireland - both through community transmission

TWO NEW CASES of Covid-19 have been confirmed in the Republic of Ireland by health officials this evening, both by community transmission.

There are now a total of 21 confirmed cases in the Republic. One further case was confirmed yesterday evening.

The cases confirmed in the Republic this evening are one case in a female in the east of the country and one in a male in the south of the country.

Both cases have been confirmed through community transmission.

Wondered how things were going there.
Russia so far has reported very few cases. But I don't think they are testing many people either. For one, Russia is neighboring China. For other, Russia has major cities with people going to Europe and coming back. Such low numbers don't make sense to me, unless very few people have been tested.

LONDON LABS OFFERING £3,500 FOR CORONAVIRUS VACCINE VOLUNTEERS

A lab in east London is offering £3,500 for volunteers to be infected with coronavirus as part of clinical trials to fight it.

24 volunteers at a time will spend two weeks in quarantine, totally cut off from the outside world while scientists use them to figure out a vaccine.

Every element of their lives will be controlled down to the food they eat.

The guinea pigs will feel the symptoms of a cough or a cold, which would model those of Covid-19, and it's thought that any treatment used against these viruses successfully could work in the real world too.

Coronavirus UK updates LIVE: NHS may be forced to CANCEL operations as UK cases hits 273

1918 all over again :( You'd have thought that things would have changed. Medicine has kept up, but is currently hamstrung, IMO.

The coronavirus is worse that the 1918 Spanish flu, which had a mortality rate of 2.5%. Coronavirus is 3.4%

"That would be higher than the mortality rate of the 1918 Spanish flu, which is estimated to have killed at least 50 million people worldwide over two years. Among those who were infected, the death rate was around 2.5%."​

The flu has killed far more people than coronavirus. So why all the frenzy about COVID-19?

LONDON LABS OFFERING £3,500 FOR CORONAVIRUS VACCINE VOLUNTEERS

A lab in east London is offering £3,500 for volunteers to be infected with coronavirus as part of clinical trials to fight it.

24 volunteers at a time will spend two weeks in quarantine, totally cut off from the outside world while scientists use them to figure out a vaccine.

Every element of their lives will be controlled down to the food they eat.

The guinea pigs will feel the symptoms of a cough or a cold, which would model those of Covid-19, and it's thought that any treatment used against these viruses successfully could work in the real world too.

Coronavirus UK updates LIVE: NHS may be forced to CANCEL operations as UK cases hits 273
I guess they are planning to infect them with a mild corona virus, not covid-19. Cause I was concerned some of them were going to end up dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove