Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oregon presser

Excellent, thank you. Oregon has declared a State of Emergency to have access to resources, same old stuff. New cases have been confirmed.

Important note (@Lilibet , as this is exactly what we were discussing a few days ago) is the mention of the homeless as a high risk population, right along with the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions.

Last edited:
unless it's an absolute emergency that the workers come now, I'd postpone it til things
calm down and there's no worry.
With strangers, you never know where they've been or how well the clean themselves, etc.
I wouldn't do it, honestly.

Thank you, enelram.

Unfortunately my situation is somewhat of an emergency. Darn it.

I just saw a post while skipping around and trying to catch up which stated that the only reason to test for coronavirus is for statistics. But the poster overlooked one crucial reason and that's for quarantine. We don't want to encourage the spread of coronavirus.

I have an issue. I have some “workers” that need to come to the house. This causes me some anxiety because there’s no way to tell how seriously they may be taking the situation, therefore you really don’t know if they’re practicing proper hygiene, etc., most important washing their hands and practicing proper respiratory etiquette.

This may sound silly to some, and I really don’t care. There is universal discussion about containment and closing borders, etc, but what about our own homes?

I think it's safe to assume that any workers you have coming to your house will not be taking the situation too seriously or practicing proper hygiene.

CORONAVIRUS CAN CAUSE MENINGITIS SAY JAPANESE DOCTORS

Doctors at a hospital in Yamanashi Prefecture west of Tokyo, say the new coronavirus is likely to have caused meningitis in a male patient in his 20s.

The man had a fever on February 27 and visited different medical institutions on February 28 and March 2, but was not tested for the coronavirus according to Japanese broadcaster NHK.

The man was found collapsed in his home on Friday and was transported to hospital where he tested positive for the coronavirus.

He is now in intensive care with a fever, pneumonia and meningitis.

Doctors at the hospital say it is extremely rare for the new coronavirus to trigger meningitis.

Coronavirus UK updates LIVE: NHS may be forced to CANCEL operations as UK cases hits 273

I really hope this young man survives.

AMERICANS ARE STOCKPILING BULLETS

Americans worried about coronavirus are stockpiling bullets to fight coronavirus.

Online ammunition retailer Ammo.com announced that it had seen a 68 per cent increase in transactions since February 23.

Marketing manager, Alex Horsman, said: “We know certain things impact ammo sales, mostly political events or economic instability when people feel their rights may end up infringed.

“This is our first experience with a virus leading to such a boost in sales.”

Coronavirus UK updates LIVE: NHS may be forced to CANCEL operations as UK cases hits 273
Gosh, it sounds like the zombie apocalypse.

I just saw a post while skipping around and trying to catch up which stated that the only reason to test for coronavirus is for statistics. But the poster overlooked one crucial reason and that's for quarantine. We don't want to encourage the spread of coronavirus.

That was me. I'm not overlooking quarantine. I'm saying quarantine isn't a viable option in the US. It's not going to happen. jmo

CORONAVIRUS CAN CAUSE MENINGITIS SAY JAPANESE DOCTORS

Doctors at a hospital in Yamanashi Prefecture west of Tokyo, say the new coronavirus is likely to have caused meningitis in a male patient in his 20s.

The man had a fever on February 27 and visited different medical institutions on February 28 and March 2, but was not tested for the coronavirus according to Japanese broadcaster NHK.

The man was found collapsed in his home on Friday and was transported to hospital where he tested positive for the coronavirus.

He is now in intensive care with a fever, pneumonia and meningitis.

Doctors at the hospital say it is extremely rare for the new coronavirus to trigger meningitis.

Noooooooo....

Yeah, let’s not even talk about the “M” word. Marking this post, man o man.

Sounds like people are expecting social chaos, perhaps planning to shoot any unknown people who are perceived as a threat.
Sometimes retailers use current events as an excuse for a sale. Drop the price and people will stock up. The type of rounds selling would be telling. Is it an increase in hollow points or shot gun shells?, Home defense type rounds or standard rounds to be used at the range? I’m not even sure if they track that on a larger scale.

I look forward to reading this article. It could be especially INSANE to see what happens in NYC.

I’m somehow hoping that miraculously we don’t see anything like Italy or China or South Korea...
Not sure how realistic of a “hope” that is.
NYC worries me immensely. May daughter and SIL, my son and DIL - all 4 of them work in the city. One near Rockefeller, one near Wall Street. The other 2 near mid-town. They commute by train/subway on the PATH and on the LIRR and MTA. It frightens the p**p out of me. :(

But not everybody can afford to be fired. If you are fired, and have no source of income, and going to end up on the street-that's not something people would want.
Maybe. But I think those high ranking, well trained doctors can afford to be fired. They can find other jobs easily in my opinion. They need to keep telling the truth because if they lie, I think they will lose credibility. Then they can forget about having a good job.

Sometimes retailers use current events as an excuse for a sale. Drop the price and people will stock up. The type of rounds selling would be telling. Is it an increase in hollow points or shot gun shells?, Home defense type rounds or standard rounds to be used at the range? I’m not even sure if they track that on a larger scale.

Plus, I think just as many, if not more, who would be stocking up on ammo are more concerned with gov't "interventions" than they are with their neighbors trying to take their tp stores. jmo

INDIA AND MALAYSIA BAN ENTRY TO ALL CRUISE SHIPS

The Arunachal Pradesh government has blocked entry of foreigners to contain the virus and has decided not to let any foreign cruise ship to dock at Indian ports, news agency ANI reported.

Efforts to check the spread of coronavirus has hit Holi celebrations in India and even in Indian communities abroad.

Meanwhile Malaysia has issued a blanket ban on all cruise ships coming into the country due to the increasing Covid-19 cases, putting further strain on the tourism industry.

The immediate ban took effect following instructions from the Health Ministry and Transport Ministry.

Must read article from Denver Post today:

States’ patchwork of crisis plans could mean uneven COVID-19 care, but Colorado among the best – The Denver Post

A few snippets: ( BBM for @firebird )

“A possible coronavirus pandemic could overwhelm the nation’s hospitals and force doctors into difficult decisions about how to allocate limited resources. Yet, experts say, only a handful of states have done the work necessary to prepare for such worst-case scenarios.

How would hospitals handle overflowing emergency rooms? What would doctors do if they ran out of medicines or ventilators? How would they decide who gets prioritized if they can’t treat everyone?”

[...]

“In worst-case scenarios, doctors may have to make decisions about who will die and who will live. To be sure, those discussions are not easy.

“They do make politicians nervous because we actually have to set out specific resource allocation schemes,” Hodge said.”

[...]

“For example, ethicists have debated what doctors should do if they run out of ventilators during a flu or coronavirus pandemic. The machines help people with respiratory infections breathe and are often the difference between life and death for critically ill patients. Even with a national emergency stockpile of ventilators, the U.S. health system has only so much capacity.

Doctors may be forced to consider whether to take a ventilator away from a patient who isn’t improving to help save another patient who might.”

[...]

“The plans detail how to deal with staffing issues, particularly as health care workers get sick themselves, such as pulling administrators with medical training back into patient care or asking families to help with feeding and personal hygiene. As hospitals swell with patients, they could be doubled up in rooms or moved to conference rooms or other unused space, grouped among less serious cases.”

[...]

“People don’t understand how close the health system runs to capacity every day. We just don’t have the trained staff to staff much beyond what we have now,” Hick said. “Patients are waiting in the emergency department in many cities on a routine basis. Then you talk about adding a pandemic onto that? There are going to be compromises.””

If patients die knowingly because there are not enough ventilators or healthcare providers of any sorts, this is going to reflect extremely poorly on the Federal Government, I predict.

Rather than worrying about the cruise line or airline businesses, or the stock market, they should be doing ALL they can to increase the supply of critical care equipment and facilities.

It’s a she. Sounds like they’ve got their act together, am watching the Live PC now.

How are you @Oregonmama ?

@MJPeony , what’s the latest?

@book-thinker , how are you feeling today?
Presser sounded like all the rest. They haven't really done the hard stuff yet. Waiting to see if they have the guts to do the right thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove