Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pressed on plans to handle 3,500 people on board the Grand Princess Cruise ship where 21 passengers tested positive for COVID-19, Sec. Carson tells @GStephanopoulos he doesn't "want to preview the plan right now." Trump administration 'working very hard' on coronavirus: HHS Secretary Ben Carson ABC News on Twitter

MORE: Sec. Carson says a plan will be in place "within 72 hours" of Vice Pres. Mike Pence's meeting with cruise ship company CEOs yesterday.
@GStephanopoulos: "The ship's docking tomorrow."
Sec. Carson: "The plan will be in place by that time." Trump administration 'working very hard' on coronavirus: HHS Secretary Ben Carson

ABC News on Twitter

I'm very frustrated with broken promises. The government should have had an eye on this and prepared. The CDC failed us with the faulty test kits and now we are rationing kits. Sounds just like China...apparently we are to repeat the same mistakes.

While I'm venting.....

How much longer are we going to rescue folks from cruise ships? It would seem to me, most folks know the risk or should from media coverage and they still get on the floating petri dish. They expect it, their RIGHT to be rescued, housed, medical care and feed, putting an additional burden on our medical system.

Mike Pence needs to step up with a bill for service rendered to the cruise line, that's the only thing we can do to stop the cruise lines. This should be for any venue, amusement park, convention, sport event, etc. We can not, nor do we have the medical resources to serve those that place themselves and the US at risk. Businesses that chose to profit from large events and assure safety should be severely punished financial.

IMOO....

Probably. The lack of transparency about cruise ships is a problem. They are making a big show about stating how passengers will be tested prior to boarding.

But nothing about the health of the crew. And that seems to be the problem.
I commend whoever it was who decided to include the crew in the testing.

With accurate information, the problem can be more easily addressed.

jmo

They should be happy they are not going to get stuck on it with a bunch of covid infections.
I expect they are not happy because they waited hours and hours to board, receiving no info...most people would be unhappy having to sit in a waiting room all day only to have their vacation pulled out from under them, even if they are also likely lucky not to be exposed to the virus.

jmo

. The latest data from the World Health Organization is that Covid-19 has an estimated global mortality rate of 3.4%.

Generally, you need to be 15 minutes or more in the vicinity of an infected person, within 1-2 metres, to be considered at-risk or a close contact.

HSE 'cannot dispute' 1.9m may fall ill with coronavirus

Hope its not a cluster like Travis....

From Gov. Kemp: “I am confident that Dobbins is equipped to provide high-quality care for Americans in need while keeping Georgia families safe, and our state stands ready to assist our federal partners if requested.”
Richard Elliot on Twitter

It will be interesting to see which hospitals those that need such go to. Emory on Clifton Road literally right next door to CDC or Northside is my guess. If Emory, to the Biocontainment unit they used for Ebola at first? Northside has positive pressure rooms also as we discussed on thread #2. And Egelston has, but that is a children's hospital.

I don't see them going to the community hospitals such as the North Fulton WellStar which would be close to Dobbins, we'll see.

I am waiting for all of these what 8,000 or 10,000 US people on self or full quarantine to get tested as well as those that were turned away because they had no connection to another or didn’t travel.

That’s when the $hit is going to hit the fan here.
Great, great point, JerseyGirl...Sing it high.
Just here in Fl. for example. We have 108 people who for some reason have been listed in
limbo for several days- tested but pending results.
Then we have 280 being publicly monitored.
So Fl. could potentially explode w/ 300-400
cases IF they get tested and results publicized.
But all info is being tamped down and a lid
put on it. Our government officials are not looking out for our residents here either.

I am waiting for all of these what 8,000 or 10,000 US people on self or full quarantine to get tested as well as those that were turned away because they had no connection to another or didn’t travel.

That’s when the $hit is going to hit the fan here.

You may have a long wait. I don’t think the powers that be want testing done on a large scale for that very reason. Heaven forbid we should know what is actually going on. Making sure we don’t know is the same as lying IMO. It’s unbelievable to me that other countries got their act together to test and the U.S. can’t (or won’t). Trump let the cat out of the bag when he said he didn’t want the Grand Princess to come ashore because it would double our numbers and it isn’t our fault. It’s all about image. :mad:

Last edited:
Great, great point, JerseyGirl...Sing it high.
Just here in Fl. for example. We have 108 people who for some reason have been listed in
limbo for several days- tested but pending results.
Then we have 280 being publicly monitored.
So Fl. could potentially explode w/ 300-400
cases IF they get tested and results publicized.
But all info is being tamped down and a lid
put on it. Our government officials are not looking out for our residents here either.

There are thousands of people who were turned away from getting tested also. Add those to the mix as well as people who are sick now who either haven’t been seen by a doctor for reasons such as finances, no insurance or undocumented. That figure could double.

Businesses that chose to profit from large events and assure safety should be severely punished financial.

IMOO....
Snipped.

I am not running a multi-million dollar business (as most of you probably know, lol!), but I would think there is a smart way for the cruise lines to handle this - by stopping all cruises "momentarily" while they wait for the virus to dissipate, promoting the idea they are doing it for the safety of their passengers.

Take the hit, for the moment. THEN, resume, all clean and healthy, after a respite.

I think the cruise industry would benefit, especially if they are visible about actively helping with the crisis rather than the current visual that the cruises are floating prisons of germs.

Kind of strange that planes are usually featured in scares about pandemics, but it's also cruise ships that are playing a big role.

jmo

HOUSTON COUNTY, Ga. — Two women from Central Georgia are trapped on the Grand Princess cruise ship off the California coast.

Jane Wilson and her mother, Nancy Pinaud, are from Houston County. Wilson says she is not sure when crews will let her and her mom off the boat.

"It was really really good from San Francisco to Hawaii. We went to four islands in Hawaii," Wilson said.

She says a 15-day cruise with her mom on the Grand Princess came to an unimaginable ending.

"There were 21 people who tested positive for the coronavirus, so the CDC and the government are actually the ones who are controlling what we do now," Wilson said.

According to a post from the cruise line, 2 guest and 19 crew members tested positive for the virus.

"We are not allowed to leave our rooms," Wilson said.

Wilson says they were supposed to disembark Saturday but are now being told to stay in their room.

"I try to be really positive about it. There is nothing I can do. So, if I get upset, that is not going to help anything," she said.

Houston County women among quarantined passengers on cruise ship

You may have a long wait. I don’t think the powers that be want testing done on a large scale for that very reason. Heaven forbid we should know what is actually going on. Making sure we don’t know is the same as lying IMO. It’s unbelievable to me that other countries got their act together to test and the U.S. can’t (or won’t). :mad:

It’s all because our leader wants to keep the numbers down. He said so himself. I am so unhappy with how things are being run and I thought China was bad with their lack of total numbers, I never would have believed that same attitude would come from us.

I have daughters who love international travel and I nearly cried when he said he really didn’t want the ship full of Americans here to mess up his numbers. I cannot imagine being outside this country where I was not welcomed back. I was literally shaking.

The whole work situation is going to get sticky. I sneezed the other day at work, my boss asked if I was "okay". Yes, but I do get seasonal allergies. Geez! It is spring, pollen is flying around.

I worry about that too because I have bad spring allergies.

My coworker sneezed too and someone questioned her.

These next few weeks are going to be very difficult.

TWO DUTCH DEAD CONFIRMED CORONAVIRUS CASES RISE TO 265

The Netherlands has confirmed that two more infected people have died; two men aged 82 and 86.

They also confirmed 68 new cases overnight, bringing their total up to 265.

All three of the nation's deaths have occurred since Friday and all were in their 80's.

Britain jumps to 211 after 2 new cases in Wales

You may have a long wait. I don’t think the powers that be want testing done on a large scale for that very reason. Heaven forbid we should know what is actually going on. Making sure we don’t know is the same as lying IMO. It’s unbelievable to me that other countries got their act together to test and the U.S. can’t (or won’t). :mad:

ITA. And to add to that, a sick country is a weak country. :eek:

SCOTTISH DOCTORS SLAM GOVERNMENT AND DEMANDS THEY DO MORE TO PROTECT THEM

Scottish doctors have called on their Government to provide gloves, masks and aprons to practices after NHS England announced emergency deliveries of protective kit to help cope with coronavirus.

There are now around 16 confirmed cases in Scotland, but GP surgeries are being forced to shut for fear of contamination while under-pressure surgeries may cancel routine appointments and be asked to take patients from nearby practices.

Britain jumps to 211 after 2 new cases in Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member