Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s all because our leader wants to keep the numbers down. He said so himself. I am so unhappy with how things are being run and I thought China was bad with their lack of total numbers, I never would have believed that same attitude would come from us.

I have daughters who love international travel and I nearly cried when he said he really didn’t want the ship full of Americans here to mess up his numbers. I cannot imagine being outside this country where I was not welcomed back. I was literally shaking.

Yes, I had edited my post a few minutes ago to say this about the Grand Princess numbers and image.

Source South China Morning Post

Coronavirus ‘highly sensitive’ to high temperatures, but don’t bank on summer killing it off, studies say

Coronavirus ‘highly sensitive’ to high temperatures, Chinese study says

• Pathogen appears to spread fastest at 8.72 degrees Celsius, so countries in colder climes should ‘adopt the strictest control measures’, according to researchers from Sun Yat-sen University in Guangdong province
  • But head of WHO’s health emergencies programme says it is ‘a false hope’ to think Covid-19 will just disappear like the flu

The UK health secretary has insisted the government will do “everything in its power” to delay and mitigate the coronavirus threat, as GPs have warned hospitals will have to cut back on work not related to coronavirus in order to tackle an outbreak.

Matt Hancock said ministers would do “all we can” to contain the Covid-19 outbreak as he set out plans contained in emergency legislation to deal with the impact of the virus.

The bill, which is likely to go through parliament by the end of the month, is expected to include measures to allow some court proceedings to be conducted via telephone or video.

Hancock tries to reassure UK public as GPs warn of coronavirus crisis | Coronavirus outbreak | The Guardian

It’s all because our leader wants to keep the numbers down. He said so himself. I am so unhappy with how things are being run and I thought China was bad with their lack of total numbers, I never would have believed that same attitude would come from us.
Dr. Ben Carson, Cabinet member and President's spokesperson (on GMA this morning with George Stephanopoulos) recommends
*people go about their business
*shaking hands won't give you the virus
*the elderly and medically challenged should (maybe) not go to rallies
*no comment on the cruise ship (as it the message should come from above ?)
*the president and the vice president are using hand sanitizer and so are safe.

In contrast - Dr Jen Aston (same show)
*social distancing is important
*emphasis not just on your own status but also those who can catch it from you
*kids are safer and closing schools is partially about keeping them safe but mostly about preventing spread to their family members and more vulnerable citizens

Just the facts folks.

HOUSTON COUNTY, Ga. — Two women from Central Georgia are trapped on the Grand Princess cruise ship off the California coast.

Jane Wilson and her mother, Nancy Pinaud, are from Houston County. Wilson says she is not sure when crews will let her and her mom off the boat.

"It was really really good from San Francisco to Hawaii. We went to four islands in Hawaii," Wilson said.

She says a 15-day cruise with her mom on the Grand Princess came to an unimaginable ending.

"There were 21 people who tested positive for the coronavirus, so the CDC and the government are actually the ones who are controlling what we do now," Wilson said.

According to a post from the cruise line, 2 guest and 19 crew members tested positive for the virus.

"We are not allowed to leave our rooms," Wilson said.

Wilson says they were supposed to disembark Saturday but are now being told to stay in their room.

"I try to be really positive about it. There is nothing I can do. So, if I get upset, that is not going to help anything," she said.

Houston County women among quarantined passengers on cruise ship

I guess they haven't heard the Governor say that Georgians will be coming to Marietta Dobbins. These folks are from Houston county, where Warner Robins AFB is.

Source South China Morning Post

Coronavirus ‘highly sensitive’ to high temperatures, but don’t bank on summer killing it off, studies say

Coronavirus ‘highly sensitive’ to high temperatures, Chinese study says

• Pathogen appears to spread fastest at 8.72 degrees Celsius, so countries in colder climes should ‘adopt the strictest control measures’, according to researchers from Sun Yat-sen University in Guangdong province
  • But head of WHO’s health emergencies programme says it is ‘a false hope’ to think Covid-19 will just disappear like the flu
For Americans, 8.72 degrees Celsius = 47.7 degrees Fahrenheit.

Odd. That seems like a rather low or moderate temp, not a high one. And, we're seeing the virus in plenty of places that are at or above that temp.

What am I missing?

jmo

For Americans, 8.72 degrees Celsius = 47.7 degrees Fahrenheit.

Odd. That seems like a rather low or moderate temp, not a high one. And, we're seeing the virus in plenty of places that are at or above that temp.

What am I missing?

jmo
The article says it spreads better at cold temperatures. But that doesn't mean it will stop spreading at warmer temperatures, it just won't be as fast.

Israel to Draft Teens and Army to Fight Spread of Virus

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu plans to deploy the military and an army of teenagers to help fight the “pandemic” coronavirus. He’s also weighing putting parts of the U.S. on a travel blacklist.

Young people and the army will be mobilized to disinfect public spaces such as railway and bus stations with bleach. Netanyahu is putting them on the front line after concluding “the pandemic is not afflicting children or young people.”

Bbm

Dr. Ben Carson, Cabinet member and President's spokesperson (on GMA this morning with George Stephanopoulos) recommends
*people go about their business
*the elderly and medically challenged should (maybe) not go to rallies
*no comment on the cruise ship (as it the message should come from above ?)
*the president and the vice president are using hand sanitizer and so are safe.

In contrast - Dr Jen Aston (same show)
*social distancing is important
*emphasis not just on your own status but also those who can catch it from you
*kids are safer and closing schools is partially about keeping them safe but mostly about preventing spread to their family members and more vulnerable citizens

Just the facts folks.
Omg....how does the man sleep at night.....

Tesco rations basic shopping items

Tesco, UK’s largest grocer, has begun rationing essential food and household items as a result of coronavirus panic buying.

It is limiting the amount of antibacterial gels, wipes and sprays, dry pasta, UHT milk and some tinned vegetables to five items per customer.

I went to Safeway here yesterday, and there was a sign limiting purchases of Top Ramen to five per customer. Other than bags of rice, that's the first time of seen shopping limits for food.

snipped

Good grief.

It's true, shaking hands will not "give you" the virus, but shaking hands can easily spread the germs that can give you the virus - if you touch your face or your food with your hands before washing them.

jmo

U.K Supermarkets that are rationing

Tesco starts RATIONING pasta, tinned veg and hand sanitiser due to coronavirus

What are shops rationing?

HERE'S what high street retailers' are rationing so far.

• Aldi - Hand santisers, two per person, online and in stores
  • Asda - Hand santisers, two per person, online and in stores
  • Boots - Hand santisers, two per person, online and in stores
  • Iceland - Hand sanitisers and some cleaning products, four per person, online
  • Lidl - No limits
  • Morrisons - N/A
  • Ocado - No limits. Delays with deliveries
  • Sainsbury's - No limits
  • Superdrug - Hand santisers, two per person
  • Tesco - Five each of items including long-life milk and antibacterial products
  • Waitrose - Anti-bacterial soaps and wipes, four per person, online

HSE chief 'can't dispute' figure that 1.9 million people in Ireland could get Covid-19

THE CEO OF the HSE Paul Reid has said that he “can’t dispute” figures that suggest 1.9 million people in Ireland could contract the new coronavirus Covid-19.

He also acknowledged that “some modeling” that indicates that half of these cases would take place within a three-week period, which would put significant pressure on Ireland’s healthcare service.

The figures, first reported in The Business Post today, were based on estimations by Irish health authorities, and suggest that around 40% of the Irish population could contract Covid-19.

DR MICHAEL MOSLEY: How to beat coronavirus if you're over 60 like me

DR MICHAEL MOSLEY: How to beat coronavirus if you're over 60 like me | Daily Mail Online

Some useful info here. I’ve not been able to find zinc lozenges anywhere. I found some on Amazon for £25 for just 30 lozenges.
My tiny grocery store had stacks of boxes of generic-brand zinc lozenges. I grabbed two. Only after I was home did I notice that the zinc is homeopathic... I'm taking them anyway, one or two a day as an immune boost, but still looking for some that have actual useful amounts of zinc in them... :mad:

Yesterday I went to visit a friend’s mom who is a resident in a memory care center. I ha d been visiting her twice a week for the past few months.

The receptionist stopped me as I walked into the lobby, saying that visitors had to fill out a new form each time they came in. The form asked if I had any symptoms, then she took my temperature.

Finally she asked if I had traveled “anywhere” in the past week. I told her I hadn’t been out of the country, and she asked if I had traveled outside of Indiana. I told her I had been in Ohio, and then she wasn’t going to allow me in! I pointed out that Ohio had no cases iv CV yet, but here in Indiana we had one case.

She had to ask the administrator if I could be allowed inside since I had traveled to Ohio. He had to call someone on the phone and ask, because he didn’t know.

After a conversation with the person on the phone he told me I would be allowed inside.

I am glad they let you in, but in all likelihood OH has no official cases because they haven't been testing (my understanding only 9 people were tested so far in OH). Regardless, it's not like virus cares about state lines.

Yes, I think the issue about travel should not be about crossing a state line, but about going into a city (not just a state) where it's known to be, plus also about the form of travel used -- train/plane/bus much more risk (IMO) than driving in a personal vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak