Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you purchase travel insurance that would allow you to cancel your trip at any time and for any reason? Unless you have trip cancellation coverage, once you make final payment, you are pretty much committed to go on the cruise or risk losing everything. DH and I recently returned from a Caribbean cruise during which news of the Coronavirus epidemic broke. I can't tell you how glad I am that we are home! I wouldn't take the chance of being quarantined on a cruise ship.
Thanks. Good advice. I'm thinking the same. We have a week to pay the balance and still get 100% deposit return. And we took trip insurance on airfare. So at least that's covered.

Hi LaborDayRN. I was very happy when I saw you joined us. :)

Yes, we actually briefly discussed drugs coming from China in thread one (or two). Since it was mentioned, I researched a few links for a baseline on the US’ dependence on Chinese drugs; there certainly were some scary things, I’ll see if can find the link to the post(s).

ETA: While googling for the above post, I’m seeing some articles that I haven’t seen before:

Coronavirus draws attention to FDA oversight of Chinese drugs
02/07/2020

Coronavirus tests U.S. medical system's unhealthy reliance on China for drugs, supplies
The basic building blocks of U.S. health care are now under the control of the Chinese Communist Party.
Opinion | Coronavirus' danger is made worse by the control China has over U.S. health care
Feb. 6, 2020

As China battles coronavirus, should other countries worry about their drug supply?
Feb 3, 2020

The Coronavirus Is a Threat to the Global Drug Supply

Coronavirus outbreak fuels concerns about pharma's global supply chain - Axios
Jan 28, 2020

—-

China Applies for Patent for Potential Coronavirus Drug
FEBRUARY 5, 2020

In Coronavirus, China Weighs Benefits of Buffalo Horn and Other Remedies
Feb. 5, 2020

China’s Drug Patent Grab Makes Coronavirus Scary for Pharma
February 5, 2020

China Wants to Patent Gilead’s Experimental Coronavirus Drug
February 4, 2020

U.S. Drugmakers Ship Therapies to China, Seeking to Treat Coronavirus
Jan. 27, 2020

—-

Chinese Company Says It Can Make Gilead’s Coronavirus Drug
February 11, 2020
OMG. Drugs manufactured in China. Something most US citizens have not even considered. No place to hide.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the same. We have a week to pay the balance and still get 100% return. Ands we took trip insurance on airfare. So at least that's covered.
My relative's trip to Israel... well, he'll probably go. His wife is very religious, and although he is not, he's very conservative with his money. He would rather risk than lose money.

Diamond Princess Crew To Get Two Months Paid Time Off | Crew Center

Crew Center received a letter that was sent to all crew members onboard Diamond Princess in regards to the quarantine they are currently experiencing. We would like to present the letter as a gold standard of the cruise ship industry as related to acknowledging the hard work of the crew under extraordinary circumstances, encouragement for continuing with the hard work by supporting the crew. As well as considering the human aspect of much needed and well deserved rest even at the midst of Princess Cruises experiencing a financial set back due to canceled cruises and additional costs that are affiliated with the coronavirus quarantine...

the United States, Canada, The United Kingdom, France, Sweden, Finland, Australia, Thailand and Japan are the countries most prepared to deal with a crisis like this. All other countries even Germany and most European countries are more prepared or less prepared.

Japan can't deal with the Diamond Princess and Thailand is the fifth country refusing entry to
the Westerdam. I don't want to make those inferences...

Is the global coronavirus death toll accurate?
''Is the coronavirus death toll being understated?

High levels of SO2 (sulphur dioxide) detected over Wuhan and Chongqing have led to speculation that both cities are cremating many bodies — and possibly have more deaths from the coronavirus than are being reported.

Sulphur dioxide emissions are produced when bodies (and medical waste) are incinerated.

China’s official anti-viral policy dictates that those dying from the coronavirus must be cremated quickly following low-key funerals.''

''A Czech-based weather service has reported levels in Wuhan that far exceed what the World Heath Organization has deemed safe.

Ironically, sulphur dioxide emissions can contribute to breathing issues and exacerbate asthma and other respiratory problems; coronavirus can likewise affect the lungs.''

Is the global coronavirus death toll accurate?
''Is the coronavirus death toll being understated?

High levels of SO2 (sulphur dioxide) detected over Wuhan and Chongqing have led to speculation that both cities are cremating many bodies — and possibly have more deaths from the coronavirus than are being reported.

Sulphur dioxide emissions are produced when bodies (and medical waste) are incinerated.

China’s official anti-viral policy dictates that those dying from the coronavirus must be cremated quickly following low-key funerals.''

''A Czech-based weather service has reported levels in Wuhan that far exceed what the World Heath Organization has deemed safe.

Ironically, sulphur dioxide emissions can contribute to breathing issues and exacerbate asthma and other respiratory problems; coronavirus can likewise affect the lungs.''

If you google "debunking burning bodies" you'll find more info on such to determine if this is sensational news.

As a follow up to how this has personally touched those near me.. 3 events so far...

1) I shared before on the last thread about my neighbors who flew back from China on Jan 20 and were under home quarantine for 14 days... all good and completed.
2) This weekend, flew to another area of the country due to family health emergency (not virus related, but many family congregated) Learned that a family member who virtually teaches children in China through a popular online program VIPKid says that she has seen requests for online classes increase significantly. As with my neighbor, I didn't ask questions that we all want to know...as hey, it's family/neighbor and it just didn't seem comfortable to me to ask more probing questions with the reason/issue at hand of why I was with family.
3) .. and on this trip to family.... Another family member had an in-laws group who are missionaries in Western China. The State Department of the US told them that had to get out of Mainland China immediately.... was the directive. This was on Feb 1st. On Feb 3rd they traveled to Taiwan and are still there. On this directive on Feb 1, they told them to expect up to 3 months until they could return to Western China. Why they didn't fly back to US.. dunno. Again, didn't probe family member. (Yeah, I'm a bad sleuther... but when it hits family/neighbors.. I don't probe/just listen)

Does anyone else have any connections to this outbreak?

86353398_10159508759214778_2763910247813742592_n.jpg.2da756ff1c1b9e9b924a413775336f2a.jpg

Princess cancels next two Sapphire Princess sailings

San Diego lab discovers COVID-19 vaccine in 3 hours
Inovio Pharmaceuticals created a vaccine for coronavirus that is going through pre-clinical trials.

Author: Neda Iranpour (Reporter)
Published: 2:17 AM EST February 12, 2020
Updated: 8:24 AM EST February 12, 2020
SAN DIEGO — In a race against the clock, a San Diego lab is scrambling to get a COVID-19 vaccine out and on the market. As the days go by, Inovio Pharmaceuticals is getting closer to releasing the desperately needed vaccine against the deadly virus.

Inovio Pharmaceuticals, which is located in Sorrento Valley, has also created a vaccine for the Zika virus, the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), and the vaccine for Ebola.

Dr. Trevor Smith, who is the director of research and development at Inovio, said, "It's something we are trained to do, and the infrastructure is here and the expertise is in house."

When Chinese scientists released the genetic sequence on Jan. 9, Inovio researchers got to work immediately and within 3 hours they had a vaccine for coronavirus, or COVID-19 as it is now being referred to.

"We have an algorithm which we designed, and we put the DNA sequence into our algorithm and came up with the vaccine in that short amount of time," said Dr. Smith.

The vaccine has been tested on mice and guinea pigs. It will next be tried on a group of human patients.

California lab discovers coronavirus vaccine in 3 hours

Inovio Pharmaceuticals created a vaccine for coronavirus that is going through pre-clinical trials.

SAN DIEGO — In a race against the clock, a San Diego lab is scrambling to get a COVID-19 vaccine out and on the market. As the days go by, Inovio Pharmaceuticals is getting closer to releasing the desperately needed vaccine against the deadly virus.

Inovio Pharmaceuticals, which is located in Sorrento Valley, has also created a vaccine for the Zika virus, the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), and the vaccine for Ebola.

Dr. Trevor Smith, who is the director of research and development at Inovio, said, "It's something we are trained to do, and the infrastructure is here and the expertise is in house."

When Chinese scientists released the genetic sequence on Jan. 9, Inovio researchers got to work immediately and within 3 hours they had a vaccine for coronavirus, or COVID-19 as it is now being referred to.

"We have an algorithm which we designed, and we put the DNA sequence into our algorithm and came up with the vaccine in that short amount of time," said Dr. Smith.

The vaccine has been tested on mice and guinea pigs. It will next be tried on a group of human patients.

I recall seeing videos from the Inovio lab in the early days. There was a blonde lady with a (Dutch?) accent explaining how they are working hard to develop a vaccine.

Very interesting in that 3 days ago they announced on their website they were moving into human trials for another disease (HPV) Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. - News & Media - News , but as of this moment, no press release or anything mentioning vaccine/efforts for COVID19. You would think it would be such news for investors etc.

Perhaps what the Paul Harvey is... is that they had an existing vaccine for another virus that they already had tested on mice and guinea pigs but never humans. And they used an algorithm to determine which DNA sequences they need to be replaced on computer to do the seqeuence in the future. So, they "developed in 3 hours a vaccine" sequence potential to move on.

That's my guess as to how this article makes any sense?

Ride the coattails for stock increase and monies and investors... yet nothing about it on their investors page which would draw FDA/governmental scrutiny of claims.

But hey, I wanna be wrong and this would be fabulous as to how far technology has come if true! Just so quick it's unbelievable as to previous years!

Last edited:
I’m scared to look or ask...I’m thinking about the FDA and what specific medications come from where...thinking about pharmaceutical companies, etc...for example, what medications are manufactured in the Hubei province, if any? And if so, has the US stopped importing any certain medications? Just wondering about this subject in general, drugs that come from China and how this has now been impacted.

ETA: Noting to google my medications tomorrow and see if they’re imported.
U.S. officials worried about Chinese control of American drug supply

“key ingredients and raw material, U.S. hospitals and military hospitals and clinics would cease to function within months, if not days," said Rosemary Gibson, author of a book on the subject, "China Rx."”

“The last penicillin plant in the United States closed in 2004."...

Basically we've outsourced our entire industry to China," retired Brig. Gen. John Adams told NBC News. "That is a strategic vulnerability."

https://www.cfr.org/blog/us-dependence-pharmaceutical-products-china
(council on foreign relations)
97 percent of all antibiotics in the United States came from China. “If you’re the Chinese and you want to really just destroy us, just stop sending us antibiotics,” he said.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...dden-perils-of-drugs-imported-from-china/amp/
US factories no longer make generic antibiotics. So, if US-China tensions worsen, China could cut off antibiotic exports, throwing our hospitals into turmoil, warns Hastings Center health expert Rosemary Gibson.

Praying this is true!

from this:
“If all goes as planned, the vaccine could be made available to the public by early this summer - which would be a record time frame for Inovio Pharmaceuticals.

Currently, an Inovio Pharmaceuticals lead researcher is in Sweden meeting with the World Health Organization to come up with the best plan of attack against COVID-19. “—-

Well look at that yay! I mentioned that normal guidelines for clinical trials would be bypassed, back in thread 1 or 2. Nice to see the confirmation

from this:
“If all goes as planned, the vaccine could be made available to the public by early this summer - which would be a record time frame for Inovio Pharmaceuticals.

Currently, an Inovio Pharmaceuticals lead researcher is in Sweden meeting with the World Health Organization to come up with the best plan of attack against COVID-19. “—-

Well look at that yay! I mentioned that normal guidelines for clinical trials would be bypassed, back in thread 1 or 2. Nice to see the confirmation

Yep, the declaration by WHO, then the US of an emergency cleared it all for "compassionate use" exemptions. When they do move to trials.. would hate to be the person who had the placebo if this works. Not sure how long they let placebo folks go until giving them the real stuff. We only have seen ONE iirc treatment of the Washington guy who improved with the compassionate exemption treatment off label with Resmidivir (spelling? I forgot the name) but with a vaccine... lot's longer to know in human trials if a vaccine works. I wonder how they determine such in real life as they can't purposefully vaccinate someone then expose them on purpose?

Will be interesting to follow as this is breaking so many barriers and novel science with this. As they say.. the science is moving faster than the laws etc.

Was interesting to read that they tested on mice and guinea pigs as I didn't know that they were susceptible from what I had read?

Imo, I knew if they found a vaccine right away that this was a bio attack on china. I believe they had a vaccine all along before releasing virus in China. I am not a conspiracy theorist but that's what I thought last week when thinking about it. I'd like to see who has stock in that co.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member