Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IU grad living in China says situation there is 'like the apocalypse'

Human interest story...
Three features of everyday life in China could inadvertently have contributed to the spread of the virus to date, Stant said. First, the bathrooms rarely if ever have hand soap, even in health facilities. Second, the virus hit just as many Chinese were heading home for New Year’s celebrations. Third, at those celebrations people often eat from communal bowls, potentially leading to a spread of germs.

And, Stant said, sometimes even health officials seem not to take the best precautions. A couple of days ago a team of local health officials went door-to-door, asking residents to sign a pledge that they had not traveled to the Hubei Province recently or been around anyone who was sick.

They offered Stant a pen they carried with which he could sign the papers. He went to get his own
instead

Be safe and well Zach and family and continue taking smart precautions

IU grad living in China says situation there is 'like the apocalypse'

Human interest story...
Three features of everyday life in China could inadvertently have contributed to the spread of the virus to date, Stant said. First, the bathrooms rarely if ever have hand soap, even in health facilities. Second, the virus hit just as many Chinese were heading home for New Year’s celebrations. Third, at those celebrations people often eat from communal bowls, potentially leading to a spread of germs.

And, Stant said, sometimes even health officials seem not to take the best precautions. A couple of days ago a team of local health officials went door-to-door, asking residents to sign a pledge that they had not traveled to the Hubei Province recently or been around anyone who was sick.

They offered Stant a pen they carried with which he could sign the papers. He went to get his own
instead

Be safe and well Zach and family and continue taking smart precautions
Criminy. How can they possibly live like this? Lack of soap in any public facility always means I never return to the place.

Criminy. How can they possibly live like this? Lack of soap in any public facility always means I never return to the place.

No hand soap? Eating from communal bowls? Have also heard toilet facilities aren't the greatest in some areas. Some don't have sanitary sewer lines, just open ditches. For tourism? No thanks.

Watch "How Average Chinese live – Tour Shanghai Apartment + Night Walk
This video is with a Father and his Daughter. This father let his daughter make comments.
This is BEFORE the virus.
However it's interesting, to see how everyday people live, before the virus.
Empathis on EVERYDAY people. Millions.

Watch "How Average Chinese live – Tour Shanghai Apartment + Night Walk

A couple notes, in the WHO conference video I just referenced above, at around the 40:00ish mark, Dr. Sylvie addresses the “source” as bats, and talks about the testing done at the Wuhan seafood market itself. She also mentions testing of various animal sources in order to determine the “host”. She also talks about testing of “environmental samples...surfaces...different places in the market” and they have indeed found the corona virus...”so there was some environmental contamination...”...”scientists want to better understand what has happened in the animal world before human beings were contaminated.”

—-

Also in the video around the 50:00ish mark, Dr. Tedros is asked by a reporter about his use of words “grave...” - he says that these words are in reference to the “window of opportunity” and how we need to act now...”time is the essence...Now.”

Also “mutation is another issue, crosses every host, then you know what happens...”

ETA: Yay, re: the poor man who infected people in multiple countries, Dr. Mike expresses his discontent with people “personalizing individuals who spread this disease..“...”People are not at fault...circumstances...”

:clap:

ETA2:
(That’s what I’ve been saying too, Dr. Mike! Those “Super-Spreader” articles by the Daily Mail are horrible!!)

Last edited:
Dr. Mike is asked about this around 34:00ish in the below video:

Coronavirus outbreak: WHO names virus COVID-19, provides update on vaccine | FULL
Global News / Streamed live 11 hours ago

—-
Quick Notes:

Window of Opportunity”

“What keeps you up at night?”
-expresses importance of investing in weaker links

Noting mention by Dr. Mike of “carrier ships” re: Maritime.

'Ships using Panama Canal to report contact with coronovirus countries' / Seatrade Maritime
8 days ago

The 1918 influenza pandemic occurred in three waves and was the most severe pandemic in history.

1918 Pandemic Influenza: Three Waves | Pandemic Influenza (Flu) | CDC

Wow, “three waves”...

“More people died during the 1918 pandemic than the total number of military and civilian deaths that resulted from World War I.”

—-

A Look Back at Progress since the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic

Summary of Progress since 2009 | Pandemic Influenza (Flu) | CDC

More links:
2009 H1N1 Pandemic

Last edited:
Answering my own question.
I would do anything, to get the hell out of the city.
How many Chinese citizens feel the same?
Flight or fight is involved here.
Except there is no fight.
No weapons.

I have a question.
If you and your loved ones were in a large city in China right now, with threat of being taken to a facility with hundreds of patients lined up in beds, what would you do?

Rsbm/BBM:
The coronavirus cruise ship quarantine is a scary public health experiment
''It’s a hypochondriac’s worst nightmare”...

Ha! Ain’t that the truth!

Coronavirus Updates: Quarantine Ordered as Cases Are Linked to Shopping Center

Nearly a third of the patients in the city of Tianjin were tied to a single mall. Officials estimated that nearly 12,000 people had been there in late January.

Right Now

The World Health Organization has named the coronavirus COVID-19.

“Nearly a third of the confirmed coronavirus cases in Tianjin, a city of more than 15 million about 70 miles southeast of Beijing, have been linked to one department store, adding to fears about rapid transmission in tightly clustered communities.

Of 102 confirmed cases in the city, at least 33 patients worked or shopped at a department store in the Baodi district, or had close contact with employees or customers, according to the Tianjin health authorities. Many of them had no history of travel to Wuhan, the city where the outbreak emerged. Officials estimated that 11,700 customers had visited the shopping complex during a period in late January. The authorities said that those customers would be quarantined, and that the store itself, which they did not identify, had been sealed and disinfected.”

—-

“The coronavirus has jumped from ship to shore, Japan’s health ministry said Wednesday.“

:eek:

“An employee of the country’s health ministry tested positive for the illness after surveying passengers aboard a cruise ship being held under quarantine in the port of Yokohama.”

Did his protective gear not hold up??

—-

Also from the above article, (sorry if repost):

“As countries worldwide have organized flights to evacuate their citizens from Wuhan, and issued travel warnings advising against going there, the government of Pakistan has been taking an unusual tack — telling its citizens to stay.

If infected nationals return home, the virus would likely spread unabated across the country, whose health care system is in shambles. Already strained hospitals lack trained doctors and supplies. Pakistan is one of the last places in the world still battling polio, and incidents of dengue fever and H.I.V. are on the rise.

Pakistan has about 800 citizens in Wuhan.”

[...]

““Do you even a little care for us?” wrote the user, identified on Twitter only as Muhammad Ibraheem, and is studying medicine at Hubei University of Science and Technology. “Why don’t you kill all of us? It will be easy for you guys, or sell us to China. At least you will get some benefits. You left us to die here.””

—-

“A senior Chinese official warned on Tuesday that three populous provinces could be vulnerable to the spread of the coronavirus as migrant workers return to their jobs after the Lunar New Year break.

The official, He Qinghua, said that the provinces of Zhejiang, Guangdong and Henan could see a rise in new cases, even as the rate of new infections declined outside Hubei Province, the heart of the outbreak.

The remarks highlight the looming possibility that more people could become infected as they resume their normal routines.”

Last edited:
I tried to cut/paste, but not working. Look at this site for today and yesterday. Then scroll down to 3+ days more. Their data is SEVERELY lacking now. I don't know what is going on... will wait for WHO as the rest of China hasn't reported for the last two days it appears. I'll try to do a long cut/paste to show.. but for those that are interested, look at link and scroll down.. all the provinces quit reporting two days ago ex Wuhan. MOO.

Again, I have 60 minutes to do a long ETA.. but those that are interested, please comment if you agree?

Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline

I agree. It's very unlikely that there was no new information to report. Something is up.

I’m scared to look or ask...I’m thinking about the FDA and what specific medications come from where...thinking about pharmaceutical companies, etc...for example, what medications are manufactured in the Hubei province, if any? And if so, has the US stopped importing any certain medications? Just wondering about this subject in general, drugs that come from China and how this has now been impacted.

ETA: Noting to google my medications tomorrow and see if they’re imported.

Last edited:
We talk cruise ships and passenger planes, but there are more. Goods are transported worldwide on container ships by people. Transport planes are still flying. Private ships. Nothing about them.

This is an awful world event, and, unfortunately, we are part of it. No other way to say it. Numbers all over the place. Unsure who to trust. Denials. Quarantines. Stranded ships. No information from several countries. No real way to stop the spread. No vaccine. No cure. Don't we all harbor a fear it may come to us? Where do we go from here?

You know, it's funny you say this. About goods being transported. I ordered some new glasses from a popular online company 12 days ago. They are being delivered in the next couple of days. It occurred to me that I had no idea where these eye glasses were being assembled. Where in the world are they coming from?
I'm not a person who worries a great deal about germs in general. As an RN I practice strict and thorough hand hygiene, where a mask and protective clothing at work when needed but on an every day basis I couldn't be overwhelmed with fear of "germs" or I wouldn't be able to do my job.
But the thought of putting on new glasses (so near mucous membranes) without knowing where they were made is a bit unnerving to me. I tried to find out by a google search. I found that the main headquarters is in Tx, but also has sites in China & India. No where on the website could I find the words "made in the USA". I think I'll email the company to find out.

I’m scared to look or ask...I’m thinking about the FDA and what specific medications come from where...thinking about pharmaceutical companies, etc...for example, what medications are manufactured in the Hubei province, if any? And if so, has the US stopped importing any certain medications? Just wondering about this subject in general, drugs that come from China and how this has now been impacted.
I hadn't thought about meds.............

I hadn't thought about meds.............

Hi LaborDayRN. I was very happy when I saw you joined us. :)

Yes, we actually briefly discussed drugs coming from China in thread one (or two). Since it was mentioned, I researched a few links for a baseline on the US’ dependence on Chinese drugs; there certainly were some scary things, I’ll see if can find the link to the post(s).

ETA: While googling for the above post, I’m seeing some articles that I haven’t seen before:

Coronavirus draws attention to FDA oversight of Chinese drugs
02/07/2020

Coronavirus tests U.S. medical system's unhealthy reliance on China for drugs, supplies
The basic building blocks of U.S. health care are now under the control of the Chinese Communist Party.
Opinion | Coronavirus' danger is made worse by the control China has over U.S. health care
Feb. 6, 2020

As China battles coronavirus, should other countries worry about their drug supply?
Feb 3, 2020

The Coronavirus Is a Threat to the Global Drug Supply

Coronavirus outbreak fuels concerns about pharma's global supply chain - Axios
Jan 28, 2020

—-

China Applies for Patent for Potential Coronavirus Drug
FEBRUARY 5, 2020

In Coronavirus, China Weighs Benefits of Buffalo Horn and Other Remedies
Feb. 5, 2020

China’s Drug Patent Grab Makes Coronavirus Scary for Pharma
February 5, 2020

China Wants to Patent Gilead’s Experimental Coronavirus Drug