Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly MOO. I think many things were done in China to test for alllllllllllllllllllllllll those hopitalized patients. Yes, MOO, they were test patients for many things. Ergo, why the WHO director on Saturday IIRC said they ... paraphrased... were to be proud of. Hate to use the word, but so commonly used, they are indeed guniea pigs. But that is not meant in a bad way! It's just to test drugs etc as they should have done.

The world does have ethics committees which will review, and perhaps that will embarrass China? But.........well..........I'll just sit on hands but I really do think that the front line folks did what they could.

What will pizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz me off now if this becomes so mainstream, is that the folks that usually cover cases we do on WS see the $$$$$ for hits and views for their youtubes to create "ignorant and inflammatory" stuff. (I am NOT talking about Tricia/WS!!!..... a Youtuber that does cases is who I'm referring to) without having education/knowledge and just parrotting MSM without understanding and background to know what the heck they are talking about.

I say this because I just got an alert that one is going to do one tonight.

This is very very upsetting. Here, we can post/dispute etc. Yet someone that is a true crime youtube that tries to do a live even saying that
"are we getting the full picture" and get hits on this.. and sends out misinformation..... I sure hope it is done well...

(Emphasis mine)

Yea This exact thing was mentioned in previous threads

thoughts and prayers. Because, no one really has any clue yet wth this is, how to contain it.

Today from Hubei:

1638 new cases
94 new deaths

Twitter

@BNOdesk

Now I wonder if those new cases include asymptomatic...

I am wondering about the testing of the thousands of people who supposedly went into those quarantine centers with the beds all lined up in long rows!

I think the numbers coming from Hubei are pretty useless at this point. I don't really care so much about the accuracy of their numbers as there are so many other places which should have much better/more accurate numbers. What does worry me is that if there are thousands of untested patients still at home with a fever and still passing it on occasionally, and then when the borders are opened back up and people go back to work in factories and using public transport there's still a few people capable of spreading the virus, but they maybe haven't currently got a high fever and they have to work to get paid....

I don't trust any of the numbers coming out of China. I found the slowing down of diagnosis that coincided with the sudden quarantining to be incredibly suspicious. Then suddenly China makes some weird claims about not counting positive tests that are asymptomatic. Why were they tested to begin with then? Because we know they aren't flush with tests. Unless they massively ramped up test production there is no actual way they can be keep up with testing all who need testing.

I think everyone's lying or fudging the numbers. They are lying because they are trying to stem panic and financial fall out. I can't say I blame them either. But governments historically lie. MOO Hopefully there will be more accountability with WHO going in there but unless someone is going in each hospital and tallying everything up I still don't trust the Chinese government.

I thought it odd my state had absolutely no people to even be concerned about and testing. It made no sense to me but offered some sense of relief all the same. I know TONS of people come in and out of China here. Suddenly today they announce though that a whopping 200 people are being tested for suspected COVID-19. We went from 0 to 200 in just one day.

Rsbm / BBM:
Microbiologist KY Yuen said that an improperly sealed pipe could have resulted in the virus, by carrying feces into the building's ventilation system and blowing it into people's apartments.
"As the pipeline that transfers feces is connected to the air pipe, it is very likely for the virus in the feces to be transmitted through the air fan into the toilet," Yuen said. He added that the transmission route is not clear yet, so the evacuation was a precaution.

At least 12 cases have been confirmed at Hong Mei House. During the SARS outbreak, pipelines were a major source of transmission. At the Amoy Gardens housing estate, there were more than 300 infections and 42 deaths, after a flaw in the plumbing design allowed SARS to spread throughout the building.''

OMG.

Coronavirus could infect SIXTY PER CENT of the global population if it cannot be controlled, top Hong Kong medical official warns

Coronavirus 'could infect SIXTY PER CENT of the global population if it cannot be controlled' | Daily Mail Online

Coronavirus could kill 45 million people and infect more than 60 per cent of the global population if containment methods fail, a top Hong Kong medical official has warned.

Professor Gabriel Leung, chair of public health medicine in the city, also said that even if the death rate reaches just one per cent, the potential spread means it could still kill thousands of people.

With the global population currently at more than 7billion (7,577,130,400), that means that the virus has the potential to infect more than 4billion (4,546,278,240) if Professor Leung is correct and its spread continues to accelerate.

And if one per cent of those people die, that means there will be more than 45million deaths.”

24594710-7990511-There_are_more_than_43_000_cases_worldwide_so_far_and_more_than_-a-6_1581420659437.jpg

—-

ETA:
Coronavirus super-spreader revealed: Businessman scout leader at centre of Brighton's deadly disease cluster is married gas salesman who unwittingly infected ELEVEN people across Singapore, Europe and UK

Coronavirus super-spreader revealed as businessman scout leader from Brighton | Daily Mail Online

Mr Walsh has said in a statement in the article that he has thankfully fully recovered.

Poor guy. It’s not his fault. I hate that his identity has been made known.

I am amazed he has revealed who he is unless the media knew and he had to come out before they told the world.

He has infected people and caused places to close down and it’s not something I would be bragging about in the newspapers.

IMO

He’s hardly “bragging”, moo.

“Today the father-of-two claimed he is feeling well again and said in a statement from quarantine: 'I would like to thank the NHS for their help and care – whilst I have fully recovered, my thoughts are with others who have contracted coronavirus'. “

Coronavirus emergency poses "a very grave threat" to the world, WHO boss says

The Wuhan coronavirus poses a “very grave threat for the rest of the world,” the head of the World Health Organization said Tuesday at the start of a two-day meeting in Geneva on the outbreak.

“With 99% of cases in China, this remains very much an emergency for that country, but one that holds a very grave threat for the rest of the world,” WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.

Tedros also said that there had been some "concerning instances" of onward transmission from people who had no travel history to China, including cases in France and the UK.

Coronavirus live updates: Death toll surpasses 1,000 in mainland China - CNN

Dr. Sanjay Gupta also does a Q and A at the above link (watching it now).

“Dr. Sanjay Gupta answers your coronavirus questions 14:28”

Coronavirus death toll surpasses 1,000 in mainland China: Live updates - CNN

Last edited:
I'm not very worried about the USA. I feel confident that our leaders are prepared to take major actions so it doesn't get a foot hold here. It's other countries that I worry about. Specifically, Africa and India.

Coronavirus emergency poses "a very grave threat" to the world, WHO boss says

The Wuhan coronavirus poses a “very grave threat for the rest of the world,” the head of the World Health Organization said Tuesday at the start of a two-day meeting in Geneva on the outbreak.

“With 99% of cases in China, this remains very much an emergency for that country, but one that holds a very grave threat for the rest of the world,” WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.

Tedros also said that there had been some "concerning instances" of onward transmission from people who had no travel history to China, including cases in France and the UK.

Coronavirus live updates: Death toll surpasses 1,000 in mainland China - CNN

Oh oh...we know Dr. Tedros chooses his words very carefully. This is very worrisome and troubling to read.

Sigh. Well me too. But they NEVER have. EVER. Nor has ANY communist country.
This is why poor Mr. Chen is "missing". He told and showed truths, that China leaders did not want to get out.
I'm pretty sure he knew the danger of doing what he was doing.
But, he thought it was so important that he was willing to sacrifice his life for.
He didn't even try to disguise his face in his videos.
A very, very brave man who may have saved countless lives.
I pray he is not tortured or dead.
God Bless him.

Coronavirus: Chinese lawyer critical of government missing in Wuhan, family says

NBC News

The Committee to Protect Journalists, based in New York, said in a statement Monday that Chinese authorities must immediately account for Chen's whereabouts and ensure that the media can cover the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan without fear of retribution.

I'm not very worried about the USA. I feel confident that our leaders are prepared to take major actions so it doesn't get a foot hold here. It's other countries that I worry about. Specifically, Africa and India.
I am.....its been a very long time for Americans to fear much of anything, especially an unknown virus. People in fear do crazy things.....

Sigh. Well me too. But they NEVER have. EVER. Nor has ANY communist country.
This is why poor Mr. Chen is "missing". He told and showed truths, that China leaders did not want to get out.
I'm pretty sure he knew the danger of doing what he was doing.
But, he thought it was so important that he was willing to sacrifice his life for.
He didn't even try to disguise his face in his videos.
A very, very brave man who may have saved countless lives.
I pray he is not tortured or dead.
God Bless him.

ikr

Its so hard to believe that living under communist rule can really be as bad as some say, but after seeing their government in action with this crisis, well......yea, it is as bad as it seems.

Ive seen videos of them welding peoples doors shut while the tennants above were screaming at them, read stories about people being arrested just for trying to speak the truth about the virus, saw their government threats on the people that they will face lifetime shame if they say or do the wrong things, scaring and threatening an old lady with a drone, etc. etc.

It must be horrible to have to live under a government like that and pretend the whole time that everything is just great because if you dont, then you risk imprisonment for disobedience.

Oh oh...we know Dr. Tedros chooses his words very carefully. This is very worrisome and troubling to read.
Troubling indeed.

I am surprised that coronavirus isn’t the top story on local and national news. Yet it was buried pretty far down on several news sites. Which is more important, the New Hampshire primary or coronavirus?

We talk cruise ships and passenger planes, but there are more. Goods are transported worldwide on container ships by people. Transport planes are still flying. Private ships. Nothing about them.

This is an awful world event, and, unfortunately, we are part of it. No other way to say it. Numbers all over the place. Unsure who to trust. Denials. Quarantines. Stranded ships. No information from several countries. No real way to stop the spread. No vaccine. No cure. Don't we all harbor a fear it may come to us? Where do we go from here?

How many people would want an app on their phone that would let them know if they'd been in close proximity to a confirmed case? Would you prefer your national disease prevention authority notify you or the app?

Coronavirus could infect SIXTY PER CENT of the global population if it cannot be controlled, top Hong Kong medical official warns

Coronavirus 'could infect SIXTY PER CENT of the global population if it cannot be controlled' | Daily Mail Online

Dr. Mike is asked about this around 34:00ish in the below video:

Coronavirus outbreak: WHO names virus COVID-19, provides update on vaccine | FULL
Global News / Streamed live 11 hours ago

—-
Quick Notes:

Window of Opportunity”

“What keeps you up at night?”
-expresses importance of investing in weaker links

Noting mention by Dr. Mike of “carrier ships” re: Maritime.

Last edited:
"China is ranked 51st out of 195 countries globally for its outbreak readiness, according to the Global Health Security Index. That's not on par with the wealthiest countries in the world, but far higher than many low-income nations.

Authorities in China have suspended public transport and sealed off entire cities at the epicenter of the outbreak, effectively putting 60 million people on lockdown. They've built two new hospitals in less than two weeks, and dispatched thousands of medical workers to Wuhan.

Yet despite these unprecedented efforts, the country is struggling to keep the rapidly expanding outbreak under control.

First-hand accounts from medical staff and patients in Wuhan show China's already overburdened health system is on its knees. Hospitals, overwhelmed with the sick, are running out of beds and supplies. Exhausted doctors and nurses are risking their lives and becoming infected with the virus themselves.

continued

"If China is struggling to contain this, weaker countries will have an even harder time. And that suggests that the kind of transmission we're seeing in China might soon be mirrored elsewhere," said Konyndyk."

A coronavirus outbreak could be devastating for poorer countries - CNN

The Global Health Security Index

I had no idea about the Global Health Security Index the United States, Canada, The United Kingdom, France, Sweden, Finland, Australia, Thailand and Japan are the countries most prepared to deal with a crisis like this. All other countries even Germany and most European countries are more prepared or less prepared.

As always thank you to all of you for your news updates on this horrendous tragic crisis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member